The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for "A Letter to the Community from ESO's Loremaster"

• Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some Lawrence highlights

Lawrence Shcick Reads Us "Goodnight Mundus"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ijLyD3z6u4

Lawrence Schick Sacrafices a Mudcrab
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74qPelhz7c0

ESO Heart's Day Mass Wedding Special with Loremaster Lawrence Schick

Scrollplay - The Loremaster Talks RP - Scrollplay Special
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZixsnVftNRc

A little more about Lawrence's contribution to RPG as a whole (White Plume Mountain, Heroic worlds, Star Frontiers, In the Dungeons of the Sla, Realms of Horror)

Matt Chat 352: Lawrence Schick on TSR, Coleco, Microprose
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Ek0VWXimA

Matt Chat 353: Lawrence Schick on Elder Scrolls Online
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0COBoiKw4Oc

Matt Chat 354: Lawrence Schick on Swashbuckling and SimCity History
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeOmoXsndfM
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loremaster Schick has truly been a gift to the Elder Scrolls lore fandom. Not just for his personal contributions, but for the mosaic philosophy that he has espoused throughout his time at Zenimax. I remember in one interview, Schick said that his job wasn't to tell writers, "You can't do that." His job was to tell them, "Okay, here's how you do that within the framework of the Elder Scrolls." I've applied that very philosophy to my own ES-related writing and roleplay, to great result.

Even in my profession, I try to emulate Schick--to be the person who figures out how we make sense of disparate plot threads and how to make the exciting new stories fit into the worlds we work in. The greatest compliment I've ever received is when a member of another team compared me to Lawrence Schick.

So this one's to you, Loremaster. Thank you for sharing your vision with us these past five-plus years, and may you never run out of new stories to tell.
    Edited by opaj on February 6, 2019 9:34PM
  • Elissae
    Elissae
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for everything and best of luck in the future! :)
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very sad news indeed, I wish him the best of the best.
    I hope someone will be able to fill his shoes and treat TES lore with the same respect and dedication as he did.
    Thank you for everything, Loremaster :)
    gepe87 wrote: »
    Maybe our Holy Loremaster is focused on TESVI.
    Well that would be somehow relieving, I always said TESVI should hire ESO writers and lore people.

Edited by Loves_guars on February 6, 2019 6:08PM
  • AerionMagnus
    AerionMagnus
    ✭✭✭
    I admire his passion, but not his work. Hopefully we see an improvement in the overall storytelling and lore development. As of now, both vanilla and DLC content for this game is weak from both perspectives.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Lawrence for all what you have done! I wish you well whatever your plans are.

I was hoping that you would still be around when one day we might get a Dwemer expansion around Blackreach and the depths below.

I could imagine that they were banished miles and miles below the surface as punishment for their sacrilege, desperately trying to dig their way back to the surface but are unable to do so by a curse laid upon them. Something like the Underdark in D&D, and implemented as a world below the world, dedicated for veteran players...

... and someone who knows very well about something like the Underdark would be you! But let's see what the future will bring to us, the lore has not been revealed. :)
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for all you have done for the Elder Scrolls community. Without you, Elder Scrolls Online would not be the same.

Best of luck on your future endeavors, Lawrence Schick!

Whoever takes your place has big shoes to fill, but as long as they craft the appropriate staff and grow a white mustache I'm sure in time they will slowly transform into you.
    I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to see him go, he's been an amazing caretaker for the lore and the letter really highlights the strong points of his approach.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Fiedelstrich
    Fiedelstrich
    ✭✭
    Auf Wiedersehen Schick,
    may happyness follow wherever you might go - for it was thy voice and stories that brought me mine alot. I really enjoyed the Livestreams with you - especially the tour through summerset with Gina and the community brought me great joy - and it makes me sad to think that this was the last time we as a community had the chance to listen and talk with thee.

That's why I don't dare to say goodbye - for I hope it won't be final and we might be able to travel with thee atleast one more time.

But whatever might happen: you will be remembered and dearly missed.
  • Jimmy
    Jimmy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE YOU
    PC NA
    @SkruDe
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    Schick will always be the loremaster of my heart </3
  • OsManiaC
    OsManiaC
    ✭✭✭✭
    best of luck, LoreMaster
    GM of The Argonian Kebab, The Argonian Steak & The Argonian BBQ - PC - EU (The Tamriel Kitchen) @OsManiaC

Don't worry, the tail grows back!
    if it breathes we eats. #justbosmerthings - we can detect stealth boy NPCs and hunt them thanks to our skill!

https://steamcommunity.com/id/osmaniac
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    His trailers are what got me hyped for this game. 💚
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master Schick,

This is the first game since Everquest that i've enjoyed the Lore. Thanks man and good luck (not that you need it)

• Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO was my first TES game, and since I was new to the universe, I spent a lot of time reading about the history of Tamriel and reveling in so many fascinating stories and aspects; every page I opened led me to yet more, and it boggled my mind how such an incredibly rich and detailed fantasy world could be created. Thank you for all your hard work, Loremaster Schick, we will miss you!
  • Steelshiv
    Steelshiv
    ✭✭✭✭
    One last ESO Live before you go perhaps?

An hour of nothing but lore questions and perhaps some answers?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

I would love to have even 15 minutes of him answering questions and talking about Elder Scrolls lore...
  • Donari
    Donari
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bravo Lawrence! You've had the dream job, made just for you, but family matters ever so much more. Safe travels and a wonderful life to you.

-Myrthwynn from Markland
  • Esha76
    Esha76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news. I hope all turns out well with the family.

Thank you for contributing to countless hours of entertainment. It goes without saying, you will be missed.
    "There is no moisture in your angry stares." - Laughs-at-All
    "I don't know why I bother guarding you horrible people." - Orama Sadas
    "Scales here is about to have a really bad day..." - Valeric
    "Just tell me what you're doing here before I turn your heart into a tomato..." - Sereyne
    "Break those rocks! Dig those ditches! Why??? Because I want you to!!!" - Ifriz the Unraveller
    "There are worse masters than I. Far worse." - Molag Bal
    "I humiliated the Daedra in Mehrunes Spite." - You, when turning in a specific Undaunted Daily.
    "I'm not finding you very pleasant!" - Adla the Brewer
    "Old Ri'hirr likes his birds slow and stupid!" - Old Ri'hirr
    "When things get dirty... Oh, I get so flustered." - Meredil the Archivist
    "Too many Argonians about these days..." - Davon's Watch Guard (though I think this one has been removed from game)
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to see this dude go. I loved listening to him during the shows.
  • AshTal
    AshTal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sad to see him leaving, but also want to say sad to see all the other people who made this game great and have left who maybe weren't as popular or had such prestigious roles.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    May they let you take your shoes with you when you go, for I doubt anyone else can fill them.

Best of luck in all future endeavors. A job very well done.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • AyMistr00s
    AyMistr00s
    Soul Shriven
    This may turn to be the most common post on this thread, but, anyway, it's needed.
    ff5699737fs1.jpg
    It's high time for him to leave Akavir and do his job, y'know.
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos
  • Maximilian
    Maximilian
    ✭✭✭
    Is there going to be a new NPC in game? The Loremaster Lawrence Schick
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The storytelling and the lore are the reason I'm here. Lawrence Schick may be more responsible than any single other person or factor in all the joy I've gotten in my time in game.

Hopefully, there's a solid Lorejourneyman who's ready and able to step up to Loremaster to continue the Mr. Schick's great work.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, what a great letter...well done sir :)
    3xp1131bq4t698vt2qol.jpg

you are very much appreciated - travel well vestige...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    May your travels see you to fruitful shores, and your adventures take you to the end of the rainbow (where the pot of gold is of course)

Yea, you can see I ain't no writer, but it is the thought that counts, right?

Farewell Loremaster Schick, great tidings to you and yours. And please don't forget to always

Have Fun!!

Edited by Casdha on February 7, 2019 6:51AM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• UntrustedExistenz
    UntrustedExistenz
    ✭✭✭
    Farewell Mr. Loremaster. Elder Scrolls lore is my favourite and I hope that your are now in a better place, (in Bethesda studio with TESVI) :) Thanks for your hard work.
    <PC EU>
    Press "F" to pay respect to our fallen megalulserver.
  • Myrnhiel
    Myrnhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :(

May Y'ffre always shelter you in her palms, wherever the path of life may lead you.