Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 14
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 14, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

How often do you change your characters Motif?

Odovacar
Odovacar
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
For me I take fashion scrolls serious, almost too serious. I find myself changing my color combos outfits & costume almost every time I login on all characters. This ritual happens before I start anything! Trials group is porting in...sorry you gotta give me 5 minutes...buddies want to go to Cyrodiil...give me 5, I need to get my arena gladiator on point...Oh you want to go node farming...gotta give me 5 i need to get my rice hat on...these scenarios go on and on...

How many of you out there have this disease?
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When i bought/got drops of new motifs, or trying new build, or ZOS ruins my current build -> I'll change outfit completely.

• Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me. I do. Its bad. I spend all my gold on outfits. Before I do anything I do that. I dunno.
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I got it bad.... I change my outfit probably once every three days...ish. Costs me a fortune.... :#
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah I got it bad.... I change my outfit probably once every three days...ish. Costs me a fortune.... :#

Same here... its a vice :DB)
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outfits or crafted motifs, I don't change all that often - I pick a look that feels 'right' for the character (this is what multiple characters are for! :D )

Costumes.... those characters change around a bit as circumstanced warrant (like during New Life, characters doing the performance-type dailies switch to something appropriate)
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Myself, probably never. I like the understated look of low level racial gear.

EDIT: Well, so much for that! Drunk-bought the mercenary style last night, and it looks awesome!
    Edited by CMDR_Un1k0rn on February 12, 2019 6:41PM
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    never. i have one for all of my chars its the shrouded armor costume
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my characters wear costumes.
    A couple wear outfits.

I'll change my costume/outfit to something festive for some events and holidays.

Once I find something I like for the character, I rarely change its main outfit/costume because outfit slots are too much money and the cost to change can cost quit a bit of gold that I rather save for other things
    Edited by Katahdin on February 4, 2019 5:30PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rarely. I'm hooked on the Grim Harlequin style for my main. I just love it so much, and it suits her as far as I imagine her personality. Sometimes I'll alternate light and medium for the chest piece, but that's all.

I briefly experimented with other motifs, but never liked any of them as much. Not that they aren't nice but they didn't feel "right" for her.

Periodically I change the color scheme to match whichever monster arms set I am using. If I'm using Troll King I'll use a brown and green "natural" coloration; if I'm using Shadowrend I go with purple and grey.

I haven't settled on a look for my two other characters as they're fairly new and still acquiring gear/sets.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Three times since launch. Was all heavy imperial then all heavy Glass and now been with heavy ebony since its release.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few motif pieces that several of my 'toons wear because I like the look.
    Many of my 'toons wear the High Rock Pioneer outfit.

I only collect/buy motifs now so I can do master-writs.
    ETA: And only on my main crafter, I sell all the 2nds.

Edited by twev on February 4, 2019 5:59PM
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Most of my characters wear costumes.
    A couple wear outfits.

I'll change my costume/outfit to something festive for some events and holidays.

Once I find something I like for the character, I rarely change its main outfit/costume because outfit slots are too much money and the cost to change can cost quit a bit of gold that I rather save for other things

My rule is, one outfit at the station which I name #Something Adventurer. This is my armour for when I go questing, or dungeons, or basically anywhere that isn't within the safety of a city.

I have a casual outfit for the race I play, which is worn in homes and the city whilst shopping, and I use my Summerset start clothes for crafting at stations.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just now and then. Maybe quarterly will I change the look of a character. Often times it's because of a holiday event. Sometimes I just want a fresh look or I get a new mount or something so I change my look to match the mount better.

Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hardly ever, stuck with Divine Golds on all toons! With a lot of color added to help with back bar switching on my shield for tanking.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe every couple of weeks or so for a whole outfit change, and costumes more often depending on my mood and what I feel like looking at.

On a more yearly basis I will often change a whole character's look and/or build.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're talking changing outfits using the style system that was designed as a massive gold sink? Almost never... because they implemented it as a massive gold sink. That, plus the outrageous price of outfit slots was easily the biggest anger point for me in ESO that year. And it's ticking me off again this year as Zenimax caves to the demands of min-maxers yet completely ignores the 30+ page thread complaining about the outfit system.
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Around once every few months.
  • theskymoves
    theskymoves
    ✭✭✭✭
    Motif > never. I customized my weapon appearance to my liking via the outfit system last autumn and have no reason to change it.

Costume > frequently. I rotate through a half dozen or so costumes and am constantly trying out new dye schemes.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never. I don't play to make a fashion statement.
  • VonSwaego
    VonSwaego
    ✭✭✭
    Enough to get mad that I have to pay gold to use the motifs I spent years collecting. >:)
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My current look in PvP, its how people identify me and everyone else has a certain look so you can tell who is who

8fece4398161ad7a4c94f57e701dbfbd.jpg
    Edited by JamieAubrey on February 4, 2019 7:26PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once every 6 months to a year... cause I am cheap. Actually zos here is another daily reward idea outfit change tokens.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Once every 6 months to a year... cause I am cheap. Actually zos here is another daily reward idea outfit change tokens.

My current look in PvP, its how people identify me and everyone else has a certain look so you can tell who is who

8fece4398161ad7a4c94f57e701dbfbd.jpg

Eeekkkk.... I suppose that works for you though.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    If we're talking changing outfits using the style system that was designed as a massive gold sink? Almost never... because they implemented it as a massive gold sink. That, plus the outrageous price of outfit slots was easily the biggest anger point for me in ESO that year. And it's ticking me off again this year as Zenimax caves to the demands of min-maxers yet completely ignores the 30+ page thread complaining about the outfit system.

It's probably because it is working how they designed it. As for prices of crownstore items, that is probably another department.
  • xan4silkb14_ESO
    xan4silkb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I generally change my motif the old fashioned way. I craft equipment in the motif I want to use and accept whatever motif is on any equipment I buy or have farmed. I've begun to experiment with making my PvP characters have a certain look.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RumpleBabe.jpg

This is what I'm trying to achieve with an outfit, so if anything comes out that gets me closer, I make the change. Otherwise, most of my characters have a stable outfit or costume, that at most gets re-dyed.

So far, she has the Fang Lair Heavy top, and the rest is still in flux. We do have a snow bear to ride, but are disappointed that it has a non-negotiable saddle. The Eyepatch too, but the hairstyles are a bit lacking. The long boots in the various costumes don't come as separate pieces, or we could get closer to the one below (Photoshopped, of course)

Unna_ESO_Target.jpg
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have outfits for every zone I visit. I created one for Murkmire, a nice and practical leather costume, but changed it after a couple of days. My new idea is wearing something local - and now I have my Argonian outfit! Need a fancy Elder Argonian stave to make the look complete
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not very often.

None of my characters are above CP160, and most are still below level 50 so they're changing their actual armour frequently, often using drops and quest rewards and periodically a crafted set. Their outfit (I only have 1 because I think slots are over-priced) is the combination I think suits them best from the motifs I currently have and I switch to that whenever their actual gear is ugly or I get bored with it. That only gets updated when I get new motifs I want to use, or when I think a new combination will suit them more.

But I also have 20 costumes (and counting!) and I use those for variety. My characters will rarely wear their armour in town or at home, they'll switch to regular clothes instead (for example the evening dress, pirate sash and bandolier (the one with the shirt), Runmare casual wear, or the graht-climbers active wear, depending on character and location). I'll put them in mages guild robes if they're working for the guild, a costume that looks like heavy armour if they're working directly with an army, the thieves guild costume if I don't want them to be noticed (I always dye that one in dull, dark colours), and so on.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like Fashion Scrolls! Love playing with the outfit and costume system, it's one of the few ways I can have fun in ESO without the stress of worrying about DPS and survivability, or the tedium of mat farming. Having said that, there are only a few motif styles I really like that I change between every few days or weeks. I wear costumes from time to time (every week? every few days maybe?) when I feel like looking a little more dressy or less like a mage/adventurer.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I find a nice one without those godawful hip things...
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.