The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How does a magicka player counter Suppression Field?

StarOfElyon
StarOfElyon
✭✭✭✭✭
I don't know if I was running into the same teams in BG or not but last night I ran into a few with increasing frequency that were using Negate or Suppression Field. I thought my melee magplar was hot stuff until it happened again and again, and then I realized that I didn't have an answer to it. As soon as I step back into the fight, someone pops negate and in seconds I'm dead again. How on earth do I counter this? There has to be a counter.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to really counter Negate 1. Roll out or run out of it the Negate bubble it isnt that big sometimes it can't be done if they stun you or lock you down 2. If your playing any flag games in BG don't stand right on the point 3. run a stam character instead.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And yes, you can say that I was "negated". In before the pun.

Not trying to brag but I usually finish in the top two on my BG teams lately. Whenever someone uses negate though I come in dead last every time. I can't figure out how to beat it. I try staying out of range but they always advance towards me. Its like super aids or something.
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Negate is insanely effective against Mag characters, especially if proceeded with CCs that burn through all their Stam and stick them in it. But it is almost completely useless against Stamina characters. With a melee magplar, your only option is going to be to break contact, and make them come to you, until the negate is gone. You'll also need to make sure you always have enough stamina to break free of CCs, or Immovable, so you don't get stuck in it, because that is certain death.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just have to not be there. Not much else you can do.
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Escapist poisons can help giving you four seconds of immovability every 10 seconds. If you have a blockade of elements down that doesn't get cancelled by the Negate the poison can even break you free when it fires off cooldown. And if you don't have blockade down you can ligjt/heavy to proc it.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean that tiny bubble that can be easily covered with one roll dodge and just took 200 ulti from your opponent? Really? Just walk out of it.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Itscompton: You mean like a potion with negative effects? Or a poison? I don't understand.
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    You mean that tiny bubble that can be easily covered with one roll dodge and just took 200 ulti from your opponent? Really? Just walk out of it.

170. Power Stone passive.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even with 170 it is up there with the most expensive ultimates in the game. It deals laughable damage and that mag sorc has to make a choice between negate and an offensive ultimate like meteor.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're talking about a tiny bubble then we're discussing two different things. What I'm talking about covers a range large enough for other players to huddle under.

Like I said, I try to stay out of range but they advance towards me. And they don't usually use it until I'm already in range to be affected. So I'm backing out expeditiously why trying to heal myself. It completely takes me out of the fight though. I can't figure out how to fight it. It got to the point where I almost considered staying up on the spawning platform because I was completely neutralized.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even with 170 it is up there with the most expensive ultimates in the game. It deals laughable damage and that mag sorc has to make a choice between negate and an offensive ultimate like meteor.

The caster doesn't have to do damage. The teammates do the damage.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're talking about a tiny bubble then we're discussing two different things. What I'm talking about covers a range large enough for other players to huddle under.

Like I said, I try to stay out of range but they advance towards me. And they don't usually use it until I'm already in range to be affected. So I'm backing out expeditiously why trying to heal myself. It completely takes me out of the fight though. I can't figure out how to fight it. It got to the point where I almost considered staying up on the spawning platform because I was completely neutralized.

One roll dodge covers the whole thing. If you are in it, roll-dodge and you will be out. They can't use it again since it is an expensive ultimate.

Sound like your issue is not negate and just the fact that you were being farmed by a good team.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There has to be something that counters it besides stamina skills though.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on February 1, 2019 4:48PM
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Absorption Field is a strong heal, ticking every half second. Suppression field will heal the caster for 8% of max health (before Battle Spirit) every half second that an enemy is in it. And then there's the specialized Negate Bot running Champion of the Hist, Werewolf Hide, Bloodspawn, throwing Rune Cage, Restraining Prison, and Daedric Minefield that has > 50% uptime on his negates. Those guys are cancer to melee mag builds.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Absorption Field is a strong heal, ticking every half second. Suppression field will heal the caster for 8% of max health (before Battle Spirit) every half second that an enemy is in it. And then there's the specialized Negate Bot running Champion of the Hist, Werewolf Hide, Bloodspawn, throwing Rune Cage, Restraining Prison, and Daedric Minefield that has > 50% uptime on his negates. Those guys are cancer to melee mag builds.

If something has to be put on a special "bot" to make it work it is no longer an issue with the skill. Lockdown classes can't kill you without their team. Hist is a heavy set (and shalks will make more sense, btw). Werewolg Hide is medium. Bloodspawn has no offensive bonuses. That sorc hits like a wet noodle

It is not an issue of Negate. Your issue are organized groups. Solo sorc against a solo magplar will get no benefit from negate at all.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, cancer is quite fitting. Though I've taken a liking to calling it super aids.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If something has to be put on a special "bot" to make it work it is no longer an issue with the skill. Lockdown classes can't kill you without their team. Hist is a heavy set (and shalks will make more sense, btw). Werewolg Hide is medium. Bloodspawn has no offensive bonuses. That sorc hits like a wet noodle

It is not an issue of Negate. Your issue are organized groups. Solo sorc against a solo magplar will get no benefit from negate at all.

Not even a StamSorc?
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Royaji , you're right in everything you said, except the Shalk's part. I've tried both, and Hist works a little better. But no, I cannot kill anything, and if I duel someone, all I can do is annoy the crap out of them. I can, however, make it very easy for my team to kill people, and Cyrodiil and BGs are both team events.
  • rafaelcsmaia
    rafaelcsmaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just have earthgore on you or one of your team mates, just this stupid monster set "negates" the negate completely lmao
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There has to be something that counters it besides stamina skills though.

A friendly negate will negate the enemy negate. This is how polar vortex is born...
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even a StamSorc?

StamSorc who dropped a Negate on you could've used a Dawnbreaker. It's really not a loss for you.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GTFO of it. Dodge roll is your friend.

The other thing to consider is that good sorcs put negates where people tend to stack, breaches, flags, etc. It's also where NBs like to bomb. As Mr Miyagi always says, "best way to avoid punch, no be there."
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Best way to negate negate is to negate first.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @GimpyPorcupine Suppression field will heal the caster for 8% of max health (before Battle Spirit) every half second that an enemy is in it

This is wrong, only the first tick heals.

Edit: after testing, NONE of the ticks from the ultimate proc the passive.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on February 2, 2019 3:51AM
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not rocket science, get out of the bubble! If you don't have enough stamina then sounds like a build problem. Shacklebreaker is a must for all my magic toons.

• Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dodgeroll directionally.
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tristat Glyphs, Triune Jewelry, Trifood and Sets like Shacklebreaker can really help here as stam is life for casters but tactical positioning, defensive buff management, and los awareness will help your survival much more than sets and stats can. As a fellow mage main I sympathize here. Negate + Stun + Root or 60-70% Snare will often kill you with no room for counterplay if your too squishy and or out of position
    Edited by _Ahala_ on February 2, 2019 4:58AM
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Suppression Field doesn't heal 8% of max HP every half a second and never has.

To OP: Negate is best utilized in tight spaces so keep that in mind. Your best tool is to keep enough stamina for breakfree+dodge just once.
    Edited by Ankael07 on February 2, 2019 5:16AM
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Negate honestly should heal for 8% every half second... it’s the sorc tanking ult for crying out loud
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If battle fields are bad, you're going to live resources in Cyrodiil.