Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New player questions and tips

devildarklink
Hello there, I just started playing this with a friend of mine, and we are both level 11 but even though I like the combat system I feel sometimes lost in this game and most probably because I dont know some of the basics.

For instance the quest system, I notice that its possible to do quests in group with my friend, but its hard to find quests they dont appear in the map.

Also what is the main objective in the game? There are achievements and quests to do, but beside that its just leveling up till lvl 50?

Another question my map (Vvardenfell) is full of different icons (outside of the main city), what do they mean? are all of those dungeons or what? is there some kind of legend for each type of icon?

What would you recommend me to do?

It's a lot about exploring the maps by myself right?

Thanks for any upcoming help
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO,

there is so much to learn, it will take a while.

- I believe there is an add on (if you are on pc) that marks quests on the map, but I wouldn't recommend it. Quests will pop up in your compass (at the top of your screen) when you are nearby them and there are lots of them. The world is meant to be explored by yourself as you stated correctly, so don't hesitate wandering around.

- It's a MMORP, you decide what the main objective is. I focused on the quests and exploring first and after a long time I discovered dungeons, joined a guild with nice people (I see them as friends by now), do PvE endgame and occasionally PvP now. Don't forget that they constantly release new content and that you only tried out one of the five (soon to be six) classes there are in game.

- There is a legend implemented in the map, you will find it.

- As I said, you decide. But for the beginning I would recommend you to follow the main quest (the npc guild storylines are also pretty cool) and explore the zones. By the time you are done with your alliance you already should be lvl 50.

In conclusion: Have fun!

PS: what platform are you on (e.g. PC - EU) and which classes + races did you and your friend choose? Maybe we can give you an idea of what to make out of them ^^
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • devildarklink
    Welcome to ESO,

- I believe there is an add on (if you are on pc) that marks quests on the map, but I wouldn't recommend it. Quests will pop up in your compass (at the top of your screen) when you are nearby them and there are lots of them. The world is meant to be explored by yourself as you stated correctly, so don't hesitate wandering around.

- It's a MMORP, you decide what the main objective is. I focused on the quests and exploring first and after a long time I discovered dungeons, joined a guild with nice people (I see them as friends by now), do PvE endgame and occasionally PvP now. Don't forget that they constantly release new content and that you only tried out one of the five (soon to be six) classes there are in game.

- As I said, you decide. But for the beginning I would recommend you to follow the main quest (the npc guild storylines are also pretty cool) and explore the zones. By the time you are done with your alliance you already should be lvl 50.

PS: what platform are you on (e.g. PC - EU) and which classes + races did you and your friend choose? Maybe we can give you an idea of what to make out of them ^^

Hey Protossyder thank you for your reply!!
    I guess I got the point, what is "npc guild storylines" by the way?

So I started as a Templar and my friend as a Nightblade, but then he stopped playing for a while, and my Templar got a way further in game till lvl 15 while he stayed at lvl 11, we were doing quests together since lvl 11 and then after he stopped I went through the game by myself, which was a bit sad and lonely.

I was doing my templar full health attribute points, so I could be a templar healer and tank at the same time, which I believe it was a mistake.

Then my friend got back in game, but since I got a bit further in game, and there were quests that I already done and he didn't we decided to both start new classes.

He went with sorcerer and me Warden, I am doing full magicka at the moment, which I believe is the right build, but every time I lvl up it's so hard to decide which skills I should focus on, since there is so variety... class skills , weapons skills, etc etc, I think since the game is so open and big in features it kinda makes me hard to decide ahah

What would be your tips for my warden at the moment?
    Also one thing that makes me angry is the inventory always being full most of the time ahah, I already bought the upgrade of inventory more 10 slots but still not enough... I believe I can have inventory slots with the horse right?

And yes I am playing on PC - Europe, thanks for all your help, looking forward to read from you.

• SoulPT
    SoulPT
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO,

So I started as a Templar and my friend as a Nightblade, but then he stopped playing for a while, and my Templar got a way further in game till lvl 15 while he stayed at lvl 11, we were doing quests together since lvl 11 and then after he stopped I went through the game by myself, which was a bit sad and lonely.

I was doing my templar full health attribute points, so I could be a templar healer and tank at the same time, which I believe it was a mistake.

Then my friend got back in game, but since I got a bit further in game, and there were quests that I already done and he didn't we decided to both start new classes.

He went with sorcerer and me Warden, I am doing full magicka at the moment, which I believe is the right build, but every time I lvl up it's so hard to decide which skills I should focus on, since there is so variety... class skills , weapons skills, etc etc, I think since the game is so open and big in features it kinda makes me hard to decide ahah

Also one thing that makes me angry is the inventory always being full most of the time ahah, I already bought the upgrade of inventory more 10 slots but still not enough... I believe I can have inventory slots with the horse right?

And yes I am playing on PC - Europe, thanks for all your help, looking forward to read from you.

Hey there, welcome to ESO.

Inventory is pretty small unless you pay for ESO PLUS, you can upgrade it with gold and also use the horse to boost the inventory further, even so i would recommend you don't pick up everything you see, just keep to the stuff you need and get a trading guild so you can sell off stuff quickly. Also remember you have a bank you can use to store stuff you're not using.

Getting the hang of what skills to use can be tricky, i suggest you read the tip and try them out, you can respec for gold if you made a wrong choice, although it gets more expensive every time you respec.
    There are no bad builds in this game though, you just have to find what fits your play style.
    Edited by SoulPT on February 1, 2019 12:17PM
  • SoulPT
    SoulPT
    ✭✭✭
    SoulPT wrote: »
    Welcome to ESO,

Hey there, welcome to ESO.

Inventory is pretty small unless you pay for ESO PLUS, you can upgrade it with gold and also use the horse to boost the inventory further, even so i would recommend you don't pick up everything you see, just keep to the stuff you need and get a trading guild so you can sell off stuff quickly. Also remember you have a bank you can use to store stuff you're not using.

Getting the hang of what skills to use can be tricky, i suggest you read the tip and try them out, you can respec for gold if you made a wrong choice, although it gets more expensive every time you respec.
    There are no bad builds in this game though, you just have to find what fits your play style.

Also you can get 5 guilds in this game, make sure you get a trading guild or 2, and a newbie friendly guild to help you learn the ropes and get groups for quests and dungeons.
  • devildarklink
    Hi SoulPT, I believe you are from Portugal, I am as well,

Thanks for the recommendations, how do I find a trading guild and a newbie guild for the quests and dungeons? Because most of the time now, I am by myself alone :(

It's hard to find someone that wants to do the same quest, because most of the time, they already do it or are more far away in the late game than me, thanks!

• LiraTaurwen
    LiraTaurwen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this guide very helpfull when I decided to play ESO again, I had only played for a few weeks on launch and didn't really know much about it.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-new-player-beginner-guide/
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    @devildarklink

As you might know, you can join up to 5 guilds created and populated by players, but there are also npc guilds which offer you their own skill-and storyline: Mages guild, Warrior guild, Undaunted, Psyjic (Summerset Chapter), thieves guild (dlc) and Dark Brotherhood (dlc). They don't exclude each other (e.g. I thought that you have to chose between mages or warrior guild) and I would definitely recommend to play their story lines (the Psyjic story line is not that great tho)

For the endgame pve content (group dungeons, trials, arenas) you should chose a role for your character. Here is a short summary:
    - Tank --> main attribute: Health --> recommended classes (descending): DK/Warden, NB/Sorc, Templar
    - Healer --> main attribute: Magicka --> recommended classes (descending): Templar/Warden, Sorc
    - DD (Damage Dealer) --> main attribute: Magicka OR Stamina (hybrids are not effective) --> classes: every class (strongest is NB at the moment, followed by Stamina Warden and Templar)

I hope that I am not forcing you into anything right now, since you don't have to care about end game at all at this point. Don't worry about wasting skill points or attribute points, you can reset them any time (for a little bit of gold). Just play around and get to know your class.

Yes, you can upgrade your horses capacity 60 times and have a total of 200 (140 + 60) inventory slots. But don't forget that you have a bank and the possibility to subscribe to ESO Plus (which costs monthly) and offers you an unlimited crafting bag to store all your materials.
    Concerning gear items: Research the traits of the armor, weapons and jewelry at the crafting stations. It will consume a big amount of time to research every trait in the game, so you should start as soon as possible. Some people created a dedicated char for crafting, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are enough skill points to do everything on one char (my main char has leveled and skilled: every class skill, every guild line, 3 weapon skill lines, every crafting line, every armor type, vampire, alliance war).

Regarding your Warden: he/she can be a great healer/tank or DD (as Stamina DD). The Magicka Warden (= Magden) is not so strong for end game PvE in this patch. It's an overall good class (also in PvP), but as I said: Don't worry too much about end game right now, that comes later

Regarding your friend's sorc: the class is not so popular as tank or healer, but a good Magicka DD. The Stamina Sorcerer (=Stamsorc) lacks a little bit of dmg and sustain, but both stam and mag variants are great for Maelstrom Arena (Orsinium DLC)

Hope I could answer your questions :)
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • devildarklink
    @LiraTaurwen thanks for the guide, I will check it out!

Hey @Protossyder thank you so much for the detailed answer that explains a lot (for instance, my magicka warden is not a good choice, but I will get to know my char better and in late game I reset like u said), I will continue exploring the map and do quests, my only concern is finding to do the same quests as I, so I am not playing alone ^^

• SoulPT
    SoulPT
    ✭✭✭
    Hi SoulPT, I believe you are from Portugal, I am as well,

Thanks for the recommendations, how do I find a trading guild and a newbie guild for the quests and dungeons? Because most of the time now, I am by myself alone :(

It's hard to find someone that wants to do the same quest, because most of the time, they already do it or are more far away in the late game than me, thanks!

Yeah i'm from Portugal, there's a lot of us here :)

You can find guilds in this forum, in the guild section https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-pc-mac-eu
    I am actually in a pretty fine casual guild called Blades if you want to join us. We're friendly and always ready to help out with questions or the occasional dungeon or delve. Also PVP.

Trading guilds are a dime a dozen, you can find plenty that suit your needs in the guilds section in the forums, some of them require you to pay weekly to be in them others do not, you can also call me in game with @SoulPT and I'll help you out with whatever you need.
    Edited by SoulPT on February 1, 2019 1:39PM
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When you join one of the npc guilds; mages, fighters, thieves, dark brotherhood, there are quests you get from the guild. For the Fighter's guild you won't be able to avoid the npc who runs up to you to tell you "The guild has need of you, comrade." For the Mages, Shalidor the ghost will show up to tell you where you need to go next to get the next part of the quests.

I would suggest not doing the Vvardenfell/Morrowind quests first, and go back to the starting zone of the original game to do the main quest/quests and the fighter's/mages' guild quests first.The starting zone depends on your faction; and you end up in Coldharbor to go on from there....