The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mage light - useless detection radius

Anyron
Anyron
✭✭✭✭✭
Seriously, did anyone ever was lucky enought to hit Nightblade cloaking away with this skill?

Iam now using it over three months and i was able to "use" detection only twice so far ( and i have it on first bar so it can be quickly used)

Why i have problem with its radius? Its because Nbs movement speed while cloaked. In most times Nb vampire has faster movement speed than is mine while walking/running as magicka character

Even if your lucky to find someone with it, duration is too short
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do I see the oh so familiar nerf nightblade thread hidden in yet another obscure L2P issue?
    EU PC
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's even worse for camo hunter the stamina detection skill.

There is a big issue that stealth detection seems a lot smaller than engage range for players in stealth particularly when you also take lag into account.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radius on all morphs of Magelight need to be doubled, at least.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NBs will not like it but it is true.
    Because I can!
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »
    Do I see the oh so familiar nerf nightblade thread hidden in yet another obscure L2P issue?

How is this nerf Nightblade post?
    Discussion is about magelight
    L2R
    Edited by Anyron on February 1, 2019 9:27AM
  • twofaced
    twofaced
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is that check happens every 1s (if no 2s as ZOS usually likes), so you have to sit on the NB ass whole time to let magelight reveal it. Bullsh*t skill.
  • Lifemocker
    Lifemocker
    ✭✭✭
    It was pretty great in Imperial City and the sewers long time ago.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Inner Light slotted just for revealing nightblades that cloak in pvp. And I'm gonna tell you that it has been super effective... that one time in BG when a nighblade cloaked right next to me and stayed within arms reach (literally). He was extremely surprised that he got detected.

I also used it in Cyrodill while guarding sieges from gankers. I've never detected anyone. But that might be just a psychological effect on them.

Inner light is useless for detecting invisible enemies. The other morph is useless in every other application. It's far better to use potions than waste an ability slot.

Should we buff detection skills? That would definitely though indirectly nerf nightblades.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Inner Light slotted just for revealing nightblades that cloak in pvp. And I'm gonna tell you that it has been super effective... that one time in BG when a nighblade cloaked right next to me and stayed within arms reach (literally). He was extremely surprised that he got detected.

I also used it in Cyrodill while guarding sieges from gankers. I've never detected anyone. But that might be just a psychological effect on them.

Inner light is useless for detecting invisible enemies. The other morph is useless in every other application. It's far better to use potions than waste an ability slot.

Should we buff detection skills? That would definitely though indirectly nerf nightblades.

It might not be a bad thing to make the instant escape a tiny bit more strategic against specific reveal mechanics.
    Edited by BNOC on February 1, 2019 11:04AM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried it and it just didn't work for me. I stick with Ritual of Retribution. It's expensive but nothing in my skill set brings NBs out of cloak like it.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    L2P and race change to wood elf, obviously... ;)
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Enzym3
    Enzym3
    ✭✭
    Honestly, all detection skills are poor. you need to use detection poisons, they are easy to make and cheap to make.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today in Cyrodill I saw someone using flares to try detecting me as I was sneaking near a resource. It was completely useless even despite the fact that my char wasn't a vampire.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering they nerfed Mark so it only reveals for 5 seconds (down from 28) and made Inner light / Radiant Magelight reveal you if you use it while in stealth (making it a dangerous and useless skill to cast when there is a NB around, who can still use it effectively by Cloaking immediately after using it), it would be good if they increased the Radius of RML by 5m.

Another option is not to increase the detection Radius directly but instead to add to RML a 28m "hint" directional indicator for anyone who is stealthed within that Radius (the closest invis/hidden enemy is where the arrow briefly points towards).

Stealth needs more soft counters, not hard counters, the same as all other defense mechanisms in the game.

• Druid40
    Druid40
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not think magelight and hunter should unstealth the user.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Radius on all morphs of Magelight need to be doubled, at least.

An agree from me.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyron wrote: »
    Seriously, did anyone ever was lucky enought to hit Nightblade cloaking away with this skill?

Iam now using it over three months and i was able to "use" detection only twice so far ( and i have it on first bar so it can be quickly used)

Why i have problem with its radius? Its because Nbs movement speed while cloaked. In most times Nb vampire has faster movement speed than is mine while walking/running as magicka character

Hey, if you’re lucky you’ll have the useless skill baked into your character’s racial passive!
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

max_only wrote: »

Hey, if you’re lucky you’ll have the useless skill baked into your character’s racial passive!

How do you know that?
    Btw all my racials are quite useless xD. Argonian dps can't be better with only 3% max magicka and worst magicka stats of all magicka races
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you think about increasing detection radius but not decloaking an enemy? Instead Inner light and the likes would only show you a shadowy silhouette that you can't target with direct damage abilities.
  • Ladislao
    Ladislao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO:

Radiant Magelight is great (it has 150% of Caltrops radius, just imagine).
    Lingering Flare is good designed (but a bit underrated) utility tool.
    Inner Light is OK since it has another passive pros.
    Scorching Flare is not bad as a more specialized alternative to Inner Light.
    Camouflaged Hunter is poor but "maybe" because it is bugged (but must be fixed).
    Evil Hunter is meh, unfortunatly. Free stats don't overlap it in general.

Speaking about nightblades, they don't deserve buffs of most of these abilities because direct damage AoE breaks cloak. So you literally have much more counters to the main NBs defensive tool.
    Everything is viable
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ladislao wrote: »
    IMO:

Camouflaged Hunter is poor but "maybe" because it is bugged (but must be fixed).

Speaking about nightblades, they don't deserve buffs of most of these abilities because direct damage AoE breaks cloak. So you literally have much more counters to the main NBs defensive tool.

So i should instead slot lightning splash or wall of elements? Waste one skill slot to just, maybe, reveal one Nightblade thats slow enought to still be there, in aoe radius?

On the other hand, Nb can slot skills that can bomb me in seconds notice while i like dumb spam aoes in pvp to reveal him

Sure
  • Ladislao
    Ladislao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO:

So i should instead slot lightning splash or wall of elements? Waste one skill slot to just, maybe, reveal one Nightblade thats slow enought to still be there, in aoe radius?

On the other hand, Nb can slot skills that can bomb me in seconds notice while i like dumb spam aoes in pvp to reveal him

Sure

Slot a skill to defeat an enemy. Nonsense :)
    Everything is viable
  • Aedrion
    Aedrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 meters is nothing and everybody knows it.

12 meters is okay but slotting an otherwise completely dead skill just to fight NB's is a heavy investment that sits around and does nothing in all other situations.

20 meters potions are effective but have a 45s cooldown and make you drink - in many cases - otherwise useless potions.

And when you finally reveal them and catch them. Shadow Image.

There is no counter to a NB who uses all tools in his kit to elude you.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on morph. The one that is cheaper and wider radius is ok but could be better to do its job The other should be as it is already.

• Meesha1170
    Meesha1170
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am expecting players to have it so, as a night blade, I stay clear away from them. Only time I’ll be close to other players is during huge sieges so it becomes pointless then.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you know that?
    Btw all my racials are quite useless xD. Argonian dps can't be better with only 3% max magicka and worst magicka stats of all magicka races

I was being facetious about the upcoming Bosmer change. Sorry.
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO:

Sure

Slot a skill to defeat an enemy. Nonsense :)

Slot worthless skill to defeat ( or he can just cloak again) an enemy. There is difference
  • getemshauna
    getemshauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a lack of knowledge. Vampire's passive increases your speed while crouching, not being invisible.
    Founder of Call of the Undaunted
    Youtube Channel
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭
    Complaining about an ability that, when merely slotted, mostly negates what makes up the nightblade class - stealthed, single-target, critical damage. Puhleaze. Besides, they're taking away our racial stealth damage bonus and you don't need to slot anything to benefit from that.

I'm guessing you don't PvP very much! I'm pretty excited about it; the passive allows you to see anyone within 3m that's stealthed, even cloaked/invis players. Bosmer might become the anti-nightblade race, oddly enough.
    Bosmer Melee Magicka Nightblade
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complaining about an ability that, when merely slotted, mostly negates what makes up the nightblade class - stealthed, single-target, critical damage. Puhleaze. Besides, they're taking away our racial stealth damage bonus and you don't need to slot anything to benefit from that.

I'm guessing you don't PvP very much! I'm pretty excited about it; the passive allows you to see anyone within 3m that's stealthed, even cloaked/invis players. Bosmer might become the anti-nightblade race, oddly enough.

I pvp enough. If they made it to within 3 meters of me, they’ve already got the drop on me. 3 meters is negligible in the fast pace of pvp.