Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Steam's insanely stupid issues with ESO

Circumfission
Circumfission
✭✭
Steam seems to think that everyone's ESO install is busted and corrupted now and is giving out ridiculous updates. Mine personally is at 73.7 gigabytes and growing. Their new vcredist/net framework thing they're trying out DOES NOT agree with ESO. It will take me 3 days to download what it wants to download at this rate, and despite being able to launch the game through the eso64 exe, or go through the ZoS Launcher exe, I cannot login because I bought through steam. The only fix I've gotten was "Buy ESO again but not on steam." That is ***, I just resubbed to Plus today and if I now have to buy ESO a second time just to play I'm going to be angry. Is there any way you can detach my account from steam or just give me access to the non-steam version so I can actually play the game? This entire ordeal is making me question why I use steam as a whole.
bal foyen nix hound
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Steam is to be avoided at all cost
  • Romo
    Romo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, same problem, downloading "update".

Seems to be Starter update for the new Dragon stuff?

Strange.
  • Karavis3
    Karavis3
    ✭✭
    I have the same issue. I was happily playing today as I have an evening shift then quit and shut off my computer to leave for work. Turned out I mistook the time and had another hour left so I restarted my computer and opened steam. When I tried to play ESO, it told me to wait for the update. A 50 GB update (and the number was growing...).

Such an annoying issue - it's practically reinstalling the game.

Has anyone encountered a fix for this problem (aside from buying the game somwhere other than steam)? Should I just wait out the "update"?
  • Matthros
    Matthros
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same issue with Steam re-downloading the game. Fortunately the download didn't grow in size and after the download the ESO launcher ran a quick update and I am back in.
    Edited by Matthros on January 30, 2019 12:41PM
  • Sennecca
    Sennecca
    ✭✭✭
    The best part of this is that it finally finished downloading the 74 gb file to tell me it couldn't finish, try restarting, try clearing download cache etc... to solve, then proceeds to tell me it has to dl the entire file again.
  • OgginOz7
    OgginOz7
    ✭✭
    Me too - I also was playing happily after the last maintenance, shut everything down and came back 2 hours later ... suddenly cant even get to the launcher screen, Steam goes to the screen for new game downloads. 'Update details' button takes me to Wrathstone update 21 ... but I dont have the PTS server so ... I have put it on pause for now to see what happens today. PS when you try to submit a ticket to ESO it requires a report generated from the launcher screen, which I cant even get to!
  • Aleris
    Aleris
    ✭✭✭
    so what's the fix for this joke?
  • D_Havier
    D_Havier
    I logged on this morning and waited all day. It did a 52 MB update now it's saying I have to wait another 10 hours while it updates more. What is going on with Steam clients of ESO?

Surely the new Wraithstone isn't that large a download. Needless to say my bandwidth has gone through the roof and my provider must be licking their chops as I'm at 85% usage with 11 days left in their cycle. Nice overage charge coming up for me I guess! :(

What was the purported sized of this download anyway?
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have the same, something must be with Steam because my other games in queue aswell waiting for an update...
  • D_Havier
    D_Havier
    D_Havier wrote: »
    I logged on this morning and waited all day. It did a 52 MB update now it's saying I have to wait another 10 hours while it updates more. What is going on with Steam clients of ESO?

Surely the new Wraithstone isn't that large a download. Needless to say my bandwidth has gone through the roof and my provider must be licking their chops as I'm at 85% usage with 11 days left in their cycle. Nice overage charge coming up for me I guess! :(

What was the purported sized of this download anyway?

...sorry meant 52 GB
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're having issues with the Steam version, you'll have to download the new Steam Beta (Settings, Account, Beta Participation). For those that are reinstalling, I also suggest doing the same thing before reinstalling the game.

Other solutions I've been compiling and posting here as I find them. But the Steam Beta participation is a fix for this specific issue. It's not a ZoS issue. It's on Steam's part.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • D_Havier
    D_Havier
    I just checked...with 6 hours to go you guys and Steam now have my internet usage at 116% with 81 GB and counting today alone. I'd like to be reimbursed..I cant get to the game if I stop this download so WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO??

I like your game was willing to buy it and even got ESO PLUS several months ago. I'll be reconsidering that 100 bucks every 6 months if nothing is done about this situation .
  • sno_flah_ke
    sno_flah_ke
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of such a thing. Sorry for your troubles.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife is in the process of downloading the full game for the third time in a row, thanks to Steam's nonsense.

We need a way to log in without Steam, and we need it now.

Look, we're even considering another option, here at home. My wife would be willing to re-buy the game, the DLCs she owns, even Summerset and Morrowind, just to get rid of Steam.... But if, and only if, her characters, progression, current ESO+ sub time and well, everything... Could be transfered to the new non Steam account. That's how much Steam is pissing her off now.

And guess what ? I'll gladly say "go ahead, honey" if you guys at ZOS could provide a way to do so. Hell, I'd gift her the whole thing RIGHT NOW if you could do that. What say you, @ZOS_BillE ?
  • sno_flah_ke
    sno_flah_ke
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry. I like steam a lot. Will not stop using it. Sorry for your troubles. But honestly, i am just waiting for my account to be deleted. might be the better choice for a lot of people i suspect.
  • OgginOz7
    OgginOz7
    ✭✭
    So I downloaded the 70G over 10hours and steam immediately started the whole download again ... I didn't get a chance to even press play!
    Has anyone tried the steam beta thing?
    Did it do anything?
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    OgginOz7 wrote: »
    So I downloaded the 70G over 10hours and steam immediately started the whole download again ... I didn't get a chance to even press play!
    Has anyone tried the steam beta thing?
    Did it do anything?

Just tried the Beta. Same thing. Nothing has changed.
    Edited by Bevik on January 31, 2019 11:11AM
  • OgginOz7
    OgginOz7
    ✭✭
    downloaded 70GB and steam immediately started on another 70GB ... pah! paused it and off to bed
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the beta isn't working, all I can suggest is contacting Steam Support and telling them that the beta isn't stopping ESO from being reinstalled. I know it's not an answer anyone wants to hear, but I'm hoping that if enough people report it then maybe there could hopefully be a better fix in the works.

Also be sure to post in here if you have a reddit account. It's the Beta's natch potes for this specific issue of unnecessary downloads for ESO as well as the other games.
    Edited by FleetwoodSmack on January 31, 2019 12:07PM
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • D_Havier
    D_Havier
    @$# about my problems with you guys.

Your affiliation with STEAM in this case can't be swept under the rug. I tried to purchase the game outside of Steam and was told that I could ONLY get it using STEAM. I started with SKYRIM and had to download STEAM. When I took the step to enter ESO Online wasn't to shocked to see I could only get it through STEAM here in Canada and did so thinking you/they were reputable.

In October of last year I went over my limit and there were 3 days where I though someone had hacked my WiFi. I argued with my internet provider but now I know what happened. Unwanted or asked for downloads by this reprehensible company STEAM...who btw have no legitimate way of contact...

LOOK I like ESO. I have been playing Zenimax games since your inception, (as I look up at the Morrowind Oblivion and Skyrim CD s to name a few). I ONLY play these games so all the STEAM stuff I don't need or want. Even bought ESO Plus a while ago, but I am going to have to dump both STEAM and you. There is no way on principle alone I can allow your companies to do this to me--and- apparently a lot of others if your forum gives just a small insight.

I've been loyal to this company through many years but this is just to much. WHERE is the "support"? I haven't even seen a "we're working on it" deflection or anything. Come on let's have a solution and quick.
  • D_Havier
    D_Havier
    D_Havier wrote: »

this is my FIRST paragraph that didnt make the above post?
  • D_Havier
    D_Havier
  • D_Havier
    D_Havier
    Well grand total of yesterday's Steam generated nonsense is a ONE DAY TOTAL of 107 GB of download. I use under 96 Gigs a month and have a payment plan that is complimentary to that usage. If I go over I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!! This debacle used my entire month in a day and then some. All because I thought it was downloading the new content. I would have paused it or tried to stop it if I had know it was wrecked. This will cost me in the 100 s of dollars as I'm sure with 10 days to go in the cycle my provider won't give a @#%% about my problems with you guys.

This is my first paragraph...had to retype it as I thought cut/paste would do it but as you see above -and my apologies for those flawed posts- that didn't work.
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Same issue. Game keeps redownloading. Does anyone have the link to where this is being handled by Steam?
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • Qinrya
    Qinrya
    Same issue. Game keeps redownloading. Does anyone have the link to where this is being handled by Steam?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130/discussions/0/1777135944130059457/

Hi, It worked for me.

• D_Havier
    D_Havier
    did nothing for me but thanks for trying
  • ebix_
    ebix_
    ✭✭✭✭
    try this :
    move Zenimax Online folder out of common folder . then uninstall eso from steam library close steam completely and open it again , then move Zenimax Online folder inside common folder (your steam should be open before you move zenimax online folder back ) ,right click on elder scrolls online in your steam library and install it , wait for steam to discover already existing files for eso and hopefully like mine you will only need to update like 1-2 gig .
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Steam is aware of the download issues players are experiencing and have a fix upcoming. You can find further details in the post below.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1739981247198858778
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • MyBlackSheep
    MyBlackSheep
    Soul Shriven
    I am sharing this for laughs otherwise i would have to cry ....
    1hfqs8urmbp3.png
    and then, nearly a year later it finished with an error (oh so unexpected)
    u9pay2k94s1z.png

• JPcrazysquirrel3
    JPcrazysquirrel3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue.

I just waited 4 hours at a university today trying to get Steam to download the game, even though ESO was working fine on Monday. Was almost done downloading the supposedly 64gb needed. (nevermind the fact that I tried all afternoon yesterday downloading it too!)

Now it started over again, but says 71.7gb and growing!

I also agree with another poster that it seems to definitely be an issue on Steam's end because practically all of my games in my library were waiting for a download hyesterday. I just turned off auto-update and uninstalled most of them since I don't really play them anyways.

But come on, I only have PC ESO for the PTS and this whole week I haven't been able to do j a c k!
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
    "It's just not a home until you decorate the torture chamber, am I right?"
    "If you want to lose 10lbs of ugly fat, I'd be happy to chop your head off!"
    "Degenerates!" --- Todd Howard
    "If it's not broke, don't fix it,....unless you're ZO$ and are just doing it for the money!" --- Me
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Class reps are just like our politicians. They promise mountains made of gold for us, but in the end, whenever they can they try to push their own agenda.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bio:
    I am in a Kevduit video
    PS4 (main platform)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

PC (just for PTS since Dragon Bones)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

Playing since console release in 2015

17 characters; mainly play PvE tanks and healer, as well as PvP stamDK, magplar, and stamblade; I also have a handful of DPS toons to have variety. All AD, with one, now PvE, DC toon.

I was on the forums before, but something happened with my account info and I had to create a new account.