Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The difference between Wyverns and Dragons.

• mpairadeeb14_ESO
    bearbelly wrote: »
    A wyvern is like the down syndrome cousin of a dragon.

Such an eloquent argument.
    All the more reason to ignore your blather.

Just what are your credentials, anyway, deeb? Why should we look to you as a voice of authority in the ages-long, highly-contentious debate regarding Dragon vs Wyvern?

Aww... but I gave you so many pretty pictures to look at and you still don't understand?

The entire game of TES V Skyrim calls the two-legged Dovah "dragons" and you still don't get it?

Oh I get it. That's the issue. That's where they first made a mistake.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just imagine that you have wings and no arms. There is an infinite amount of things that you can do if you also have wings AND arms.

And... ?
    There's already an infinite amount of things we can do just because we're in a fantasy world. Like, you know, reverse time, throw fireballs, resurrect people, all those things.
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on January 21, 2019 4:10PM
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
    josiahva wrote: »
    Please, please, PLEASE change your "dragons". I expect more from one of my favorite companies that produce role playing games. I do not really care that you are breaking lore, and adding dragons into ESO. What I do care about is how you are portraying your dragons. It seems like literally everyone else in the world understands the difference between a dragon and a wyvern. Allow me to enlighten you.

1457626615300.jpg
    tumblr_ooklsdCV5v1u921jvo1_1280.png
    jssPOLk.png
    11e7d8b542e6202bba910e58676d4171.jpg
    0d0f1663e7a015ce6f7ff6bc3d48dc50.jpg

In the movie "Eragon", the dragons are portrayed with 4 legs. In the Movie "How to train your Dragon" the main dragon is portrayed with 4 legs. In the movie "Dragonheart" the dragon is portrayed with 4 legs. I don't understand how this is an issue. I expect better from you guys. If you are a fan who is reading this, please bump this topic and keep it going. All I want is for ESO to change the name of their "Dragon" to a "Wyvern" or to actually add the previously butchered appendages back on.

Mostly true. Drakes however, are often portrayed with wings as well and are often interchangeable with Wyverns.

I will accept that.
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In TES dragons have wyvern's anatomy. So yeah, deal with it.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just what are your credentials, anyway, deeb? Why should we look to you as a voice of authority in the ages-long, highly-contentious debate regarding Dragon vs Wyvern?

Aww... but I gave you so many pretty pictures to look at and you still don't understand?

The entire game of TES V Skyrim calls the two-legged Dovah "dragons" and you still don't get it?

And your mistake is thinking they'll "fix it".

When you design an entire game around it, it's "working as intended".

But by all means, continue standing athwart the tides, yelling "STOP!"
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a mistake, it's a design choice.

• bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And you are missing my point. There is no broad, agreed-upon consensus on what qualifies as a dragon.
    LOTS of people play RPGs. I bet there are at least a couple in this thread who have played them longer than you have.
    There are people who believe as you do, and just as many who do not.

YOU saying, "This is a wyvern, and THIS is a dragon," even with your nice collection of internet pictures, doesn't mean anything.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tes dragons are dragons. Get over it. Also wyverens are dragons just as squares are rectangles (yes they are)
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's true for one fantasy setting may not be for others.

A few other things to keep in mind about typical wyverns:
    • Wyverns don't typically breathe fire. It's rather rare to see it portrayed in heraldry or fantasy.
    • Wyverns typically have a much bigger, arrow-shaped or barbed tail tip.
    • Wyverns are typically much smaller than full dragons.

TES dragons are dragons because the lore says so. They're also honking huge and fire breathing, which indicates they are aptly named despite having no forelegs.
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wyverns are two-legged D R A G O N S with 2 wings. Can yall stop saying they aren’t.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Shalktonin
    Shalktonin
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry that uphold higher standards for my dragons. Perhaps I play more RPG games than you casual kitties. I didn't make all these pictures that I posted, and there surely is no shortage of them. A dragon is supposed to be big, powerful, intelligent, and able to pick you up in it's front claws. Every dragon in Skyrim was basically a mindless Wyvern other than Paarthurnax and Alduin. I just don't want to see the same thing happen again. Wyverns have tons of babies. They don't live as long, they aren't intelligent. They don't get massive. There is an enormous difference between them other than the legs.

you tke this far too seriously, seek help
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, GoT and Harry Potter have 2 legged dragons so this is a moot point.
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
    That's like taking a horn from a Unicorn and trying to call it a Unicorn still. You look uninformed.
  • martygod12
    martygod12
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please, please, PLEASE change your "dragons". I expect more from one of my favorite companies that produce role playing games. I do not really care that you are breaking lore, and adding dragons into ESO. What I do care about is how you are portraying your dragons. It seems like literally everyone else in the world understands the difference between a dragon and a wyvern. Allow me to enlighten you.

1457626615300.jpg
    tumblr_ooklsdCV5v1u921jvo1_1280.png
    jssPOLk.png
    11e7d8b542e6202bba910e58676d4171.jpg
    0d0f1663e7a015ce6f7ff6bc3d48dc50.jpg

In the movie "Eragon", the dragons are portrayed with 4 legs. In the Movie "How to train your Dragon" the main dragon is portrayed with 4 legs. In the movie "Dragonheart" the dragon is portrayed with 4 legs. I don't understand how this is an issue. I expect better from you guys. If you are a fan who is reading this, please bump this topic and keep it going. All I want is for ESO to change the name of their "Dragon" to a "Wyvern" or to actually add the previously butchered appendages back on.

Lol go get a girlfriend you nerd :D I can't believe someone has time for this :D
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's like taking a horn from a Unicorn and trying to call it a Unicorn still. You look uninformed.

Didn't RuneScape have those? :D
  • Flipityflu
    Flipityflu
    ✭✭✭

that's nothing compared to how you look.

grow up.

The salty tears of Meta
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm just really glad this particular thread has consistently spelled 'wyvern' correctly.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, Puss In Boots was walking on two legs and Kitty SoftPaws had no claws. They're both still CATS.
    Besides, nothing in the words "Dragon" or "Wyvern" refer specifically, ethymologically, to their respective number of legs.
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on January 21, 2019 4:28PM
  • Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna take your favorite mythological creature, amputate limbs from it, and then make my fantasy game on that using the same name. muhahahaha

I think you can't. All your progress I see is one theme with some borrowed meme pictures.
    But I can wait till you return with your fantasy game to prove the opposite. C u
    Edited by Blood_again on January 21, 2019 4:28PM
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
    Ogou wrote: »

Didn't RuneScape have those? :D

No actually the Unicorns had horns. You killed them for the horn, and ground it up to use in potions.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    where have you been hiding since 2013?
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
    So is it ok to take vampires, and make them sparkle in the sun because it's a fantasy world? Some people would say yes, and I think it's completely unacceptable.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lygerseye wrote: »

Nice link ! I love the arguments in this article, very interesting and pertinent. Thanks !
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is it ok to take vampires, and make them sparkle in the sun because it's a fantasy world? Some people would say yes, and I think it's completely unacceptable.

And I think it is completely acceptable, even welcome. It'a a source of diversity and even infinity in the various fantasy lores and universes that we fantasy fans love to explore.

Ever read Sapkowski's witcher series ? The polish origin of the author makes for a very refreshing universe, far from the now boring "standards" of US / Tolkien-based fantasy.
  • ZOS_RikardD
    ZOS_RikardD
    admin
    Greetings,

We've had to remove numerous comments for insults, baiting or otherwise inappropriate or nonconstructive comments.

As it appears this topic has run it's course we'll be closing it at this time.

Thank you for your understanding and take a moment to review our Community Rules here and remember to keep conversations constructive and civil in the future. Thank you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.