Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

The difference between Wyverns and Dragons.

mpairadeeb14_ESO
Please, please, PLEASE change your "dragons". I expect more from one of my favorite companies that produce role playing games. I do not really care that you are breaking lore, and adding dragons into ESO. What I do care about is how you are portraying your dragons. It seems like literally everyone else in the world understands the difference between a dragon and a wyvern. Allow me to enlighten you.

1457626615300.jpg
tumblr_ooklsdCV5v1u921jvo1_1280.png
jssPOLk.png
11e7d8b542e6202bba910e58676d4171.jpg
0d0f1663e7a015ce6f7ff6bc3d48dc50.jpg

In the movie "Eragon", the dragons are portrayed with 4 legs. In the Movie "How to train your Dragon" the main dragon is portrayed with 4 legs. In the movie "Dragonheart" the dragon is portrayed with 4 legs. I don't understand how this is an issue. I expect better from you guys. If you are a fan who is reading this, please bump this topic and keep it going. All I want is for ESO to change the name of their "Dragon" to a "Wyvern" or to actually add the previously butchered appendages back on.
Edited by mpairadeeb14_ESO on January 21, 2019 3:26PM
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you gonna ask for dwarves to be short, stocky not elves too?
    Edited by Ogou on January 21, 2019 3:32PM
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Skyrim, the Dovah are wyverns, called dragons.

Deal with it.
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you're at it, you could also ask for governments, regulations, trade limitations... after all, the point of fantasy worlds is to have everything strictly controlled and checked as real worlds, right ? How dare anyone call an imaginary beast with any other name than the one created for all other imaginary worlds... ?
    Options
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So you're saying Vermithrax Pejorative was a wyvern?
    Options
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
    This is really bad design and they need to fix it. This is embarrassing for an RPG company. I can understand if you go to an NFL game and people don't get the difference between a wyvern and a dragon. But this is an MMO. Not to mention wyverns are much less intimidating. Then you have the Greator Daggonoth or whatever which is essentially a dragon. Very sloppy.
    Options
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    . I don't really care about dwarves.

So now you're the arbiter of what's important to uphold in TES lore regarding to other lores and what's acceptable to be changed?
    Cry me a river, there was a thread about it recently.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/453195/where-are-the-dragons-i-see-wyrvens/p1
    Every time with the dragons. Skyrim came out 8 years ago, Akatosh, the dragon god, was established at least in Morrowind as two legged winged dragon. Face it, they're not gonna change dragons because you cry on the forums.
    Edited by Michae on January 21, 2019 3:43PM
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
    Options
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wyvern is like the down syndrome cousin of a dragon. You can't just butcher a majestic creature like that and then refer to it as if it is the same thing. I don't really care about dwarves.

So you want ZOS to follow your arbitrary rules on how the creatures in TES are named? Which authority declared that dragons must have 4 legs and why should they matter in the world of TES?
    Options
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please, please, PLEASE change your "dragons". I expect more from one of my favorite companies that produce role playing games. I do not really care that you are breaking lore, and adding dragons into ESO. What I do care about is how you are portraying your dragons. It seems like literally everyone else in the world understands the difference between a dragon and a wyvern. Allow me to enlighten you.

1457626615300.jpg
    jssPOLk.png

In the movie "Eragon", the dragons are portrayed with 4 legs. In the Movie "How to train your Dragon" the main dragon is portrayed with 4 legs. In the movie "Dragonheart" the dragon is portrayed with 4 legs. I don't understand how this is an issue. I expect better from you guys. If you are a fan who is reading this, please bump this topic and keep it going. All I want is for ESO to change the name of their "Dragon" to a "Wyvern" or to actually add the previously butchered appendages back on.

Settle down...
    Pact Bloodwraith
    Options
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the elder scrolls universe, they are dragons
    Options
  • huschdeguddzje
    huschdeguddzje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice bait
    Options
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
    Michae wrote: »

So now you're the arbiter of what's important to uphold in TES lore regarding to other lores and what's acceptable to be changed?

Dwarf can mean many things like midget for instance. Of course then you will argue that the dragon from Neverending story and Chinese lore is still a dragon. But I will retort with. No, it is not.
    Options
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They're fine as is and already established in the ES lore.
    Options
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://atolkienistperspective.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/dragons-vs-wyverns-the-question-of-smaug/

Lots of juiciness in there. Read on to the end, more dragons with 2 legs in various media.

I think the point is that all wyverns are dragons, but not all dragons are wyverns... maybe dragon is a species/genus.
    Options
  • Yigrok
    Yigrok
    ✭✭✭
    How can they break the lore when they had the "green light" from Bethesda themselves? Worked closely with them and introduced them in a way that should not break the lore that much.

Lore can be retconed to fit whatever they desire. Just look at WoW and what they did to its lore...
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care what they call it : I find the 2-legged-version much more gracious than the 4-legged version, so I'm glad they chose the 2-legged-dragon thing.
    Options
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Michae wrote: »

Dwarf can mean many things like midget for instance. Of course then you will argue that the dragon from Neverending story and Chinese lore is still a dragon. But I will retort with. No, it is not.

Hey, I can do the same. Dwarf can mean many things like midget for instance. No it can't.
    See? Case solved.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
    Options
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
    I'm sorry that uphold higher standards for my dragons. Perhaps I play more RPG games than you casual kitties. I didn't make all these pictures that I posted, and there surely is no shortage of them. A dragon is supposed to be big, powerful, intelligent, and able to pick you up in it's front claws. Every dragon in Skyrim was basically a mindless Wyvern other than Paarthurnax and Alduin. I just don't want to see the same thing happen again. Wyverns have tons of babies. They don't live as long, they aren't intelligent. They don't get massive. There is an enormous difference between them other than the legs.
    Options
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A wyvern is like the down syndrome cousin of a dragon.

Such an eloquent argument.
    All the more reason to ignore your blather.

Just what are your credentials, anyway, deeb? Why should we look to you as a voice of authority in the ages-long, highly-contentious debate regarding Dragon vs Wyvern?
    Options
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
    bearbelly wrote: »

Just what are your credentials, anyway, deeb? Why should we look to you as a voice of authority in the ages-long, highly-contentious debate regarding Dragon vs Wyvern?

Aww... but I gave you so many pretty pictures to look at and you still don't understand?
    Options
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
    Wyverns are more like birds than lizards. So much so that there is even a classification called Bird Wyvern. I see a Wyvern and I am reminded of a chicken. I see ESO's Dragon and I think, hmm a flying chicken with scales.
    Options
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

1457626615300.jpg
    jssPOLk.png

In tes universe dragon dont have arm so deal with it or leave further more i think fans would be more enraged if the dragon are being changed to these boring generic thing
    Options
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't know, I always used to think they were mythical beings. If you can provide one authentic evidence preferably a peer reviewed article in a reputable scientific journal on their classification. I'll join you on the frontlines to bring justice to the Dragon species.
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I chop off both of your legs can I still call you a bipedal creature?

You could still call me a woman, a human being, a lady, a hero, and many other things. And probably still a creature of the bipedal specie.

g0rzmXt.jpg
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry that uphold higher standards for my dragons. Perhaps I play more RPG games than you casual kitties. I didn't make all these pictures that I posted, and there surely is no shortage of them. A dragon is supposed to be big, powerful, intelligent, and able to pick you up in it's front claws. Every dragon in Skyrim was basically a mindless Wyvern other than Paarthurnax and Alduin. I just don't want to see the same thing happen again. Wyverns have tons of babies. They don't live as long, they aren't intelligent. They don't get massive. There is an enormous difference between them other than the legs.

Er.

Durnehviir, Odahviing, Sahlokniir, and Mirmulnir would like a word. The Dovah are quite intelligent, even if Bethesda made a limited number of Dovah NPCs.

Your definition of Wyvern only matches the Dovah in that they both have two legs.

The only four legged "dragon" in the Elder Scrolls I can think of it Peryite.
    Options
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
    Generic? You somehow think that amputating appendages makes you more unique? If so go ahead and step on up to the operating table. There is just something a whole lot more intimidating about a dragon that stomps or runs across the ground. A dragon that picks you up in it's front claws. Than a bird/bat/lizard.
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you create your own world and setting, you can name something whatever you want.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Aww... but I gave you so many pretty pictures to look at and you still don't understand?

We do understand your point. We just don't think it's a point at all. Fantasy universes don't have to "conform", that's all.
    Options
  • mpairadeeb14_ESO
    Just imagine that you have wings and no arms. There is an infinite amount of things that you can do if you also have wings AND arms.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The entire game of TES V Skyrim calls the two-legged Dovah "dragons" and you still don't get it?
    Options
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1457626615300.jpg
    jssPOLk.png

Mostly true. Drakes however, are often portrayed with wings as well and are often interchangeable with Wyverns.
    Options
This discussion has been closed.