The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lightning MagSorc

Sixsixsix161
Sixsixsix161
✭✭✭
Hi,
About 16 months ago, I saw a player that looked like he was surrounded by lighting. I saw him attacking a group of enemies, wading right in with spells/abilities that killed all of them.

I found a guide that had that setup and tried it but didn't like it. So, now I'm back and want to try it again, but from the beginning with a new character.

However, I cannot find a guide with that setup.

Does anyone know where I can get it? I Googled for a guide and spent hours on the net yesterday, but to no avail. I did find some abilities that sound like what I'm looking for, and wonder if those are the abilities I need, i.e., Lighting Form/Lightning Splash, Mages Fury (in the Mages tree, not the standard magsorc with pet tree). I have the pet that fights with lightning skills.

Thanks for any help.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Update: I found the abilities I mentioned above in the Storm Calling section.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Storm Calling skills, Destruction staff abilities with a lightning staff, and/or certain armor sets with lightning procs. And the pets do lightning damage as well.

Do be aware that magicka sorcerers are much weaker than they used to be.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

It's no wonder then that I can't find any builds, if the damage is weaker.

I found one that I thought could be it, but you had to switch back and forth between the front and back bar, and I can't do that. That's the only issue I have with this game, you can have too many abilities and can't put them all on one bar lol. I liked the way that Blizzard did it in D3, but that's a different discussion all-together.

Thanks again.

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These two should get you started:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-build-pve/
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-pet-build-pve/

Just don't take them as gospel, play around with your build, find something that fits your playstyle ...
    bye1.gif

Edited by SirAndy on January 19, 2019 6:03PM
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    @SirAndy

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at those, but both of them require use of the front and back bar, which is something I cannot do.

My age (71) kind of lowered my reaction time to nothing for things coming at me, memory issues, etc. So, hence I was looking for a front-bar only setup (I'll heave some healing spells on the back-bar, but I can't handle offensive abilities on two bars).

I think I'm going in the right direction with the abilities in Storm Calling, having played it today for several hours and getting comfortable with having to get close to the enemy with Lightning Form (5m max distance is not much in-game).

Like you said, play around, which is what I'm doing. It's a lot different if you try to change a level 45 character into the lightning setup and basically not know what you're doing, versus playing the setup from the beginning with a new character.

I also found a 1-bar setup from a player named DeadlyPhoenix that I'm going to try out (his is for VMA, which I've never ever done in all the years I'm playing because I mainly play solo), but I should be able to adapt it to normal play.

• Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VMA is a solo arena. I'm older as well though you have a few extra years over me. I've been working on the normal mode of Maelstrom Arena but it is something I can only spend short periods of time playing doing one level at a time. While I'm pretty sure I will finish normal I doubt I will get through veteran mode to get a chance at the VMA lighting staff.

As to bar swapping, I bar swap buffs and shields with a dps bar. The main problem I've found with bar swapping is the game itself. You can hit the bar swap key and the game might or might not detect it, frequently not detecting it. Then you end up doing a rotation with abilities your didn't intend to use.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.

I'm doing ok, level 17. Tried a public dungeon the other day and died 11 times (glad I had a load of gems with me). Problem was that it seemed that every 25-30 feet there was a fight, and each time it was a group of 6 enemies. I just can't take that many enemies. I can do 4, with a little luck, but that's it.

I don't do melee, but with this setup I have to get on top of a group (the spell that electrifies me has to be 5 meters or less from the enemy), and the ability that puts down an electrified wall (later morphed to Blockade, I think), is put down right at your feet, instead of being able to put it in front of me.

I'm going to keep up with it, but I sure wish that we had room for 7 abilities and 1 ultimate. Right now, I have 3 offensive abilities, one with the pet, and one still empty. I could use another 3-4 slots easily lol.

Thanks again.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liquid Lightning is ranged (up to 28m) but has a fairly small area. Put it down between the mobs and you to force them to run through it.

Elemental Blockade actually has a fairly good range (18m), even though you put it down in front of you.

For mob pulls like the one you describe, i usually buff up with Power Surge and Boundless Storm, lay down Liquid Lighting in front of me, cast Elemental Blockade and then heavy attack the mobs.

The mobs will run towards you and simply melt in your AOE. Use Hardened Ward for shields if needed.
    smile.gif
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well then, let's go over useful skills:

Power surge: morph of surge, gives you major sorcery, and the heals on crits are sweet.

Destructive touch: DoT, I didn't use it much so can't say a lot. DO NOT Spam it. Recast every rotation.

Lightening form: relatively costy small aoe skill around you with mediocre damage but for long, also gives a small speed boost in the beginning, and around 8-13% resists for the skill duration (depends on how many resists you had), it gets it's cost reduced next patch.

Liquid lightening: deals more damage than wall of elements on parses, very strong but small aoe.

Monkey: I don't remember the name, but I call the little guy monkey, u do need to have him on both bars, but if you go for lightening build with heavy attacks, I see no reason not to use him.

Mage light: mage guild's ability, after morph and with passives gives you 7% max Magicka and spell crit while slotted, while damage from abilities scales from max Magicka as well and spell crit is nice.

Hunting curse/deadric prey: very strong ability that deals a lot of damage compared to cost, just don't recast it before it fires.

Elemental drain: lowers enemy Magicka resist for a bit, and gives back magicka (around 250 a second for u and your teammates), healers usually should use it, but they never do.

Crystal fragments: after morph, this ability is one I can't imagine a sorcerer without. The cost becomes low, the damage high, 0 cast time AND 6% spell crit for you and your teammates. But use it only when it procs, without it it is too Mana inefficient and the cast time is a killer.

Wall of elements: I don't even think I need to input things on it. The skill for all magicka characters. High damage, huge range, Etc etc.

Lightening staff heavy attacks: well, u use your damage over time skills, and then just heavy attack. Gives you back resources, while doing AoE damage.

Channeled acceleration: psijic order skill. MORE CRIT DAMAGE.

Spammables: be it force pulse, the other morph, or elemental weapons, if you want to Spam an ability, they are your friend.

Matriach: I honestly don't like the tormentor. His damage is way too low, and activating his ability costs too much magicka for the damage it does, just use the bird that heals, and randomly heal your friends if you want.

Bound aegis: 8% max Magicka= more damage, also gives like 2-4% damage reduction (depends on how many resists u already had), while slotted.

Bolt escape: pvp skill, or if you are trying to solo vWGT. Might be useful for maelstrom as well. Escape, stun, high cost, low damage.

Mages wrath: low damage, excluding execute phase, Spam it instead of heavy attacks when enemy goes below the 20%(if the enemy has massive amount of health you still want all your aoe's to do damage to them).

Shields: either light armor skill or the one from summoning tree, Shields are Shields.

Most of dark magic skills I don't like for pve. So I will not cover them.

Hope my post helped, enjoy being a sorc, they are getting buffed.

Edit 2 (one was for grammar, tee hee ~):
    Ultimates:

Greater storm atronach: high single target damage.

Elemental rage: the love of all magicka characters. High damage. High AoE. Death to everyone.

Dark magic ultimate(don't remember the name): might be useful for very specific situations (vMHK hm for example) it is more support than damage.

Overload: I don't like it. Didn't find a use to it. Honestly? Play around with it, you might find a use to it.

Meteor (mage guild): 2% max Magicka, just for slotting, gives more damage than the 2% spell power you get from slotted a sorcerer ability.

Also, don't forget to have a destruction staff ability slotted on both bars, since some of the passives requires it (they are changing it next dlc though, so when it comes out you can stop slotting destruction staff abilities on both bars).

Edit 3: added lightening form.

Edit 4: destructive touch.

Edit 5: bar swap. Bar swap has 1 second cooldown. It is not a bug.u can't swap it twice real quick. If you feel like you can't get the timing right, just use a skill after bar swap. The cast time is the same 1 second.
    Edited by zvavi on January 24, 2019 7:18PM
  • thesongoftimeb14_ESO
    Hi,
    About 16 months ago, I saw a player that looked like he was surrounded by lighting. I saw him attacking a group of enemies, wading right in with spells/abilities that killed all of them.

I found a guide that had that setup and tried it but didn't like it. So, now I'm back and want to try it again, but from the beginning with a new character.

However, I cannot find a guide with that setup.

Does anyone know where I can get it? I Googled for a guide and spent hours on the net yesterday, but to no avail. I did find some abilities that sound like what I'm looking for, and wonder if those are the abilities I need, i.e., Lighting Form/Lightning Splash, Mages Fury (in the Mages tree, not the standard magsorc with pet tree). I have the pet that fights with lightning skills.

Thanks for any help.

Have you tried the Templar? I love the Templar for its simplicity and almost all my damage is on front bar. I am mainly just a one bar dude myself. Although playing since beta, I have learned how to use a few buffs first on my backbar before rushing into fight. And those buffs are a 20 sec and a 36 sec. For the Templar front bar, Structured Entropy from the mages guild, Blazing Spear, Puncturing Sweeps, Breath of life, Inner light from mages guild and Meteor from mages guild for your ultimate, you can do almost all the content without swapping. And for armor you can use almost anything that relates to magicka. I find it very fun to hit mobs with the sweeps and it also keeps you from dying. I use a flame staff on my front and have never used a lightening staff, but maybe a skill from that staff can replace the blazing spear to give you the lightening effect your looking for, idk. I did eventually learn how to swap so I have Radiant on my back bar for when boss's get low and its time to burn, but there is no swapping back and forth for that.
    Edited by thesongoftimeb14_ESO on January 27, 2019 1:30PM
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭

@thesongoftimeb14_ESO

Hi, I actually have two Templars. One from a long time ago who finished the game (killing the bosses at the end), a second one I got to level 50, but stopped playing that character for a while, but will get back to him at some point. Both are ranged, though, and without a pet, but with some good abilities/spells. I've seen the setup you're discussing, but, see below, regarding my melee abilities lol. Non-existent.

I am playing a sorc with the electrical stuff, and really like it. However, I'm lousy at melee, and some of the spells/abilities take you very close to the enemy, so basically in melee range. Some of the abilities are not really that useful because you can't place them where they're needed, instead they start always at the same place, i.e., the Electrical Wall/Barricade (forgot the name of the spell), which always is put in play at your feet, which again, puts you in melee range. This spell also doesn't really do what it states as my enemies walk right across it, taking little damage if any. They're also supposed to be concussed and I don't see that happen. I did get another spell today, Liquid LIghtning, and that spell can be placed where it's needed, so I think that will become one of my main spells.

I finally got my back bar, and I do have two healing spells on it (plus the pet). I have strong healing staffs with plenty of damage, so I can switch during battle and not really lose any damage, except for the spells on the front bar. But the guides that I've seen want you to put several (3-4) damage spells on that back bar and so you have to constant change back and forth depending on the situation. I'm almost 72 and have memory issues, and I just can't track that going back and forth.

Anyway, thank you for the reply, appreciate it.

• Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all.

I'm doing ok, level 17. Tried a public dungeon the other day and died 11 times (glad I had a load of gems with me). Problem was that it seemed that every 25-30 feet there was a fight, and each time it was a group of 6 enemies. I just can't take that many enemies. I can do 4, with a little luck, but that's it.

I don't do melee, but with this setup I have to get on top of a group (the spell that electrifies me has to be 5 meters or less from the enemy), and the ability that puts down an electrified wall (later morphed to Blockade, I think), is put down right at your feet, instead of being able to put it in front of me.

I'm going to keep up with it, but I sure wish that we had room for 7 abilities and 1 ultimate. Right now, I have 3 offensive abilities, one with the pet, and one still empty. I could use another 3-4 slots easily lol.

Thanks again.

Plague Doctor + Netch's Touch/Julianos for a one bar Pet Lightning made that can beat veteran Maelstrom Arena.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So I just made a new character and I want to play him as an evil caster who only uses lightning. Like straight up emperor palpatine.

So I'll be using a lightning staff, with mages fury, liquid lightning, lightning form, and possibly the instant morph of crystal frags if I think the aesthetics match enough.

Does anyone have any other advice on lightning skills to use in my rotation? For aoe burst and sustain I think I'll be set but for single target I might need some help.
  • xDocHollidayz
    Overload ultimate will fit the bill perfectly for you then. Check it out.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do be aware that magicka sorcerers are much weaker than they used to be.

Weak AF. Thanks, (ding-*** the wicked Wrobel's dead) Wrobel!
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    So I just made a new character and I want to play him as an evil caster who only uses lightning. Like straight up emperor palpatine.

So I'll be using a lightning staff, with mages fury, liquid lightning, lightning form, and possibly the instant morph of crystal frags if I think the aesthetics match enough.

Does anyone have any other advice on lightning skills to use in my rotation? For aoe burst and sustain I think I'll be set but for single target I might need some help.

https://www.xynodegaming.com/easy-mode-sorc
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »

@Stx You would probably like the new Aurorans Thunder set from Depths of Malatar. https://eso-sets.com/set/auroran-s-thunder

Definitely wear the Netch set if you are building for pure lightning.

Also add Wall of Elements (either morph). And you could use Shock Clench as a spammable/stun, preferably with a Master’s Lightning Staff.