The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Calling this right now

• Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think that the Tablet Abnur Tharn has, which we know is called a Wrathstone from official Twitter posts, is associated with the Ideal Masters and the Soul Cairn which is where the Wrathmen are from. The dragon could very well be the immortal undead dragon Durnehviir who was tricked into guarding the necromancer Valerica for eternity in the Soul Cairn.

The Ideal masters there have a hunger for souls and is said to be "The only leverage necromancers have when bargaining with them. In return, the Ideal Masters grant them the ability to conjure powerful undead guardians in a similar manner that conjurers would summon an Atronach or Daedra." How this plays in with the Vestige though I am unsure.

When the Vestige recovers their soul at the end of the main story line, the sacrificed companion they chose becomes a part of their soul and you are given the Light of Meridia before you're returned to Coldharbour. I think this would either make the soul rather appealing to the Ideal Masters or could even be yet again another bargaining chip/advantage when dealing with them.

Since Durnehviir is unable to ever truly die, even when killed by the Dragonborn, it could very well make sense that killing him in our timeline would have absolutely no impact on future lore since his soul always endures. The timing of all of this would fit in with the pre-existing events laid out in lore.

I also wonder what is going on with Dragonne Papré who should be in the Battlespire around this time until the Third Era. Which is where the Imperial Battlemages (like Abnur Tharn) receive their training.
    Durnehviir as seen in Skyrim
    14272-1514396723-2131103251.jpeg
    Our mysterious Dragon friend seen in datamine info
    dragon.png?width=960&height=236
    Durnehviir is unique in appearance, and does not appear to be of any breed of Dragon previously encountered. His body bears a resemblance to the Frost Dragon, with massive protruding spikes from the back of his neck and extending down to his tail. Four horns sprout from his head.

As an undead Dragon, Durnehviir's flesh is greatly decayed and his wings look extremely weathered. He is grey-green in complexion, and his scales are constantly dripping and oozing. Flies can be seen around his body, and yellowish drool can be seen constantly dripping from his mouth.

When he is defeated by the Dragonborn, his body burns with a unique, purplish fire, though his Dragon Soul is not absorbed.
    Edited by Caligamy_ESO on January 13, 2019 1:56AM
    love is love
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the Tablet Abnur Tharn has, which we know is called a Wrathstone from official Twitter posts, is associated with the Ideal Masters and the Soul Cairn which is where the Wrathmen are from. The dragon could very well be the immortal undead dragon Durnehviir who was tricked into guarding the necromancer Valerica for eternity in the Soul Cairn.

The Ideal masters there have a hunger for souls and is said to be "The only leverage necromancers have when bargaining with them. In return, the Ideal Masters grant them the ability to conjure powerful undead guardians in a similar manner that conjurers would summon an Atronach or Daedra." How this plays in with the Vestige though I am unsure.

When the Vestige recovers their soul at the end of the main story line, the sacrificed companion they chose becomes a part of their soul and you are given the Light of Meridia before you're returned to Coldharbour. I think this would either make the soul rather appealing to the Ideal Masters or could even be yet again another bargaining chip/advantage when dealing with them.

Since Durnehviir is unable to ever truly die, even when killed by the Dragonborn, it could very well make sense that killing him in our timeline would have absolutely no impact on future lore since his soul always endures. The timing of all of this would fit in with the pre-existing events laid out in lore.

I also wonder what is going on with Dragonne Papré who should be in the Battlespire around this time until the Third Era. Which is where the Imperial Battlemages (like Abnur Tharn) receive their training.
    Durnehviir as seen in Skyrim
    14272-1514396723-2131103251.jpeg
    Our mysterious Dragon friend seen in datamine info
    dragon.png?width=960&height=236
    Durnehviir is unique in appearance, and does not appear to be of any breed of Dragon previously encountered. His body bears a resemblance to the Frost Dragon, with massive protruding spikes from the back of his neck and extending down to his tail. Four horns sprout from his head.

As an undead Dragon, Durnehviir's flesh is greatly decayed and his wings look extremely weathered. He is grey-green in complexion, and his scales are constantly dripping and oozing. Flies can be seen around his body, and yellowish drool can be seen constantly dripping from his mouth.

When he is defeated by the Dragonborn, his body burns with a unique, purplish fire, though his Dragon Soul is not absorbed.

Well, that's interesting, to say the least.
  • Nolic1
    Nolic1
    ✭✭✭
    Faunter wrote: »
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    When we were clicking on the Twitch extension, if you clicked the flame button at the bottom and clicked "view details" it brought up a picture of glowing dots on a black background, but the glowing dots seemed to be arranged the same as points of interest on the Cyrodiil map from Oblivion.

Anyone have a picture of this?

The picture in the details was just a picture showing the blast from when you click on the screen showing you what it would look like.
    Sherman from Sherman's Gaming

Youtube content creator that is dedicated to the Casual and Roleplay community for News, Lets Talks, Guides, Help and character builds.

Youtube channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

1. Dragons will be world boss events in the same vein as the Scorchbeast Queen in Fallout 76. A ton of people are going to be necessary to take it down, and it will have no defined aggro range cap; it will fly where people lead it.

Ah, so camped heavily in the first weeks, then good luck ever getting enough interested folks together. Great!

That's why they make them easy to kill, with practice, but the drop rate for what you want requires that you kill it a million times.
    Shawn_PT wrote: »
    I am starting to think the tablet has more to do with a One-Hand-and-Rune weapon skill line than spellcrafting. It could maybe be unlocked by completing/running the main expansion questline. Like Psijic.

Everyone is just assuming spellcrafting is a given.

My top thought is that it is a throw-away prop that has no meaning outside of the introduction quest. Only after that do I consider it to be related to a game system.

That sounds awful
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling it now... Spellcrafting is coming this year.

Also calling it now... if it does I'm going to be all like:
    giphy.gif

And if it doesn't, I'll be like:
    john-cena-confused.gif
    then...
    tenor.gif
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SiAScORCH wrote: »
    Spell crafting would ruin the game, they have so many bugs already and that would add so many more.

Spellcrafting will be a limited selection of A/B/C effects/duration/range modifiers (or something similar) and will surely have some combinations that are better than others, but will be mostly subpar in scope to actual abilities.
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really hope Necromancer comes instead of spellcrafting
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice

But they need to fix performance if they want new cyrodill to be a thing

Id be happy as hell though :)
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really doubt they will do a Necromancer class and spell crafting (if they ever do spell crafting) in the same patch. Besides the amount of bugs and issues it would create they will want to have something to draw players to the next chapter next year. Evidence suggests we will get Necromancer this chapter.

The dragon idea sounds cool (if done right), but it would be unlike anything they have implemented so far. It's more likely to be a trail boss or a quest boss/npc.

The purpose of the shape of Cyrodiil is to give each alliance a similar starting point so they will be more or less equivalent footing geographically from the center. Changing the shape of the map could give one alliance a geographic advantage. I wouldn't mind if there was an option to choose your side, or if side was assigned based on population, but I would be truly surprised if they did something significant in Cyrodiil.

My prediction is Tharn's plan to end the war is his attempt to assume the throne. It will involve a dragon and be based in Elsweyr. It will go badly and the dragon will run amuck and we will have to stop it.

I know mine is less exciting, but if they do something beyond that then I will be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed.

Playing since beta...
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we know in the upcoming chapter there will be dragons, as well as a return of Abnur Tharn, and many have talked about the possibility of spellcrafting as well.

So here are my hypotheses:

1. Dragons will be world boss events in the same vein as the Scorchbeast Queen in Fallout 76. A ton of people are going to be necessary to take it down, and it will have no defined aggro range cap; it will fly where people lead it.

2. Spellcrafting tablets will either be a) rare loot dropped from the above dragons, or b) a harvestable resource in the same vein as runestones; they'll come in various "types" and you'll need one of each type to craft a spell, which will be learnable like a motif page. Both tablets and the created spells could be tradeable/sellable.

3. Lastly, in the Abnur letter that's been posted, he talks about a solution to the Three Banners War. When we were clicking on the Twitch extension, if you clicked the flame button at the bottom and clicked "view details" it brought up a picture of glowing dots on a black background, but the glowing dots seemed to be arranged the same as points of interest on the Cyrodiil map from Oblivion. THEREFORE, I believe Tharn will use the Amulet of Kings to recreate the shape/map of Cyro as we know it from Oblivion, as opposed to the triangular map we currently see. This could be set in the context of a dragonbreak, or a separate timeline due to Tharn's use of the Amulet of Kings, or whatever. The end result is that the Three Banners War will continue on the current Cyro map, and Tharn's "solution" is to create another "version" of Cyro that has the shape of Cyro in Oblivion and will be PvE.

your not getting spell crafting your getting a necro
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Spell crafting would ruin the game, they have so many bugs already and that would add so many more.
    You must be a PvPer. The only people I've seen who are against adding new things to the game are PvPers who are afraid of upsetting "balance."
    Maybe I'm wrong ...

I'm not in favor of spellcrafting, and I NEVER pvp. I just think if they do it "right" it will be WAY OP the way it was in whichever earlier game had it (I admit I don't remember - been too long since I played whichever one it was apparently), or they will do it the "other way".... and it will be totally useless, and have taken up a lot of dev time and company money for nothing.

the devs responsible for spellcrafting and emerging the gameplay in any meaningful way left long ago. its why zos has left ESO like it is. dont worry you will never see spell crafting.
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If do that to Cyrodill then I ofc would be pretty ticked off, I don't get wanting to be in Cyrodill without the PvP like it's seriously confusing to me.
    It would be a real service if they recreated Cyrodiil as it's technically been the same for just almost 5 years (yeah I completely grasp ICP which isn't technically apart of Cyrodiil & the new terrible additions such as new outposts).

I'd like to see cloud temple kinda engulf Cyrodiil (not sure if that's even possible lore wise) which results in the map fracturing into a vastly different version with parts of it being hard to access unless you're good at jumping.
    不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
    XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
    PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would actually prefer world boss to trial, as long as they can add some form of dynamics to it so it isn't pulling a Fippy Darkpaw every ten minuets.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

3. Lastly, in the Abnur letter that's been posted, he talks about a solution to the Three Banners War. When we were clicking on the Twitch extension, if you clicked the flame button at the bottom and clicked "view details" it brought up a picture of glowing dots on a black background, but the glowing dots seemed to be arranged the same as points of interest on the Cyrodiil map from Oblivion. THEREFORE, I believe Tharn will use the Amulet of Kings to recreate the shape/map of Cyro as we know it from Oblivion, as opposed to the triangular map we currently see. This could be set in the context of a dragonbreak, or a separate timeline due to Tharn's use of the Amulet of Kings, or whatever. The end result is that the Three Banners War will continue on the current Cyro map, and Tharn's "solution" is to create another "version" of Cyro that has the shape of Cyro in Oblivion and will be PvE.

The "triangular" version of Cyrodiil is not the entirety of Cyrodiil. It's just the part of Cyrodiil we're allowed to play in currently (well, that and the Gold Coast). The rest of Cyrodiil is still there. There wouldn't need to be any magic or anything like that, since the triangular shape is a game thing, not a geography thing.

Yeah, the short version is, the zones in ESO do not reliably conform to the political boarders of Tamriel. Reaper's March includes the boarder between Elsweyr and Valenwood, and Bangkorai includes parts of Hammerfell and High Rock. I want to say there's another example, but I can't remember what it is at the moment. (Not counting that Craglorn includes Skyrim content, as Falkreath isn't technically within the zone's boarders.)

We've already seen the Gold Coast, so there are whole swaths of Colovia and the Nibenay Basin that are not part of the Cyrodiil PvP map, but are still part of the province. The alliances just don't seem to care about that territory right now.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we know in the upcoming chapter there will be dragons, as well as a return of Abnur Tharn, and many have talked about the possibility of spellcrafting as well.

2. Spellcrafting tablets will either be a) rare loot dropped from the above dragons, or b) a harvestable resource in the same vein as runestones; they'll come in various "types" and you'll need one of each type to craft a spell, which will be learnable like a motif page. Both tablets and the created spells could be tradeable/sellable.

In the Chapter.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Amyxleexownsxu
    Amyxleexownsxu
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think spellcrafting would happen this year. Because if they do both that and the supposed necromancer class they will have so many issues balancing the game. I would love to see a new weapon type though.
    PC/NA Since Beta!
    CP 1165

Main
    Rank 27 EP Khajiit Stamblade | Derosianthe | 26k Achieves

Alts
    EP Redguard Stamcro | Reindallia
    EP Bosmer Stamden | Sathiriel
    EP Imperial Stamplar | Velinaszol
    EP Altmer Magsorc | Ophianthil
    EP Dunmer Magknight | Thelisarcis

Housing Enthusiast/Completionism Nerd
    Blood for the Pact!!!
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

In the Chapter.
    Necromancer got datamined for Elsweyr
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In the Chapter.

As I said, "in the Chapter" we get Necromancer. That doesn't mean we don't get Spellcrafting this year in one of the DLCs.
    Edited by Seraphayel on January 13, 2019 4:11PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • ookami007
    ookami007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be awesome if they created a world boss that was similar to fallout 76... That way when it appeared they bring down all the servers
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

In the Chapter.

As I said, "in the Chapter" we get Necromancer. That doesn't mean we don't get Spellcrafting this year in one of the DLCs.

Actually it probably does... Its more likely they aren't going to release 2 big game changing features in the same year.
    Playing since beta...
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wardens are ice Dragonknights so Necromancers are disease Sorcerers. Calling it.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Ertosi
    Ertosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »

In the Chapter.

Actually it probably does... Its more likely they aren't going to release 2 big game changing features in the same year.

The would have to bring far more than 2 big game changing features this year in order to compete with the last two years.

2017 brought us:
    • The Player Housing System released as the Homestead free update.
    • The Transmutation System with the Clockwork City DLC.
    • Battlegrounds PvP Mode and the Warden Class with the Morrowind chapter.
    2018 brought us:
    • The Outfitting System and Player Housing Storage with the Dragon Bones DLC.
    • The Jewelrycrafting System and Psijic Skill Line with the Summerset chapter.

This is ESO's 5 year anniversary year and they promised it was going to be a big one. We'll see on Tuesday if they are going to live up to that claim.
    Edited by Ertosi on January 14, 2019 7:04AM
    PC NA @Ertosi
    ♠♦ My Team ♥♣
    GoanJabsplar [Grand Master Crafter, Master Angler, Tamriel Hero, Explorer]
    DruStamplar
    TicklesHealplar
    DixieMagplar
    FigsStamblade Sneakthief [Master Thief]
    Sir PriceStamblade Bow Ganker [Daedric Lord Slayer]
    MayaStamblade Speedster
    AhmedMagblade Bomber
    BalzarStamSorc Blitzer
    WinniePetSorc Thunder Mage
    TanksStamDK Tank
    MonaMagDK Fire Mage
    DawnHPDK
    BearlyStamden Tank
    IvanaMagden Ice Mage

CP 950+
    ♌ DC Loyalist ♌
    ✄ Grand Master Crafter
    No new crafting or game systems for 2019? "Season of the Dragon" would be better named "The Year of no New Major Features"
    https://i.imgur.com/TPscgS9.jpg to see major features of the last few years compared.
    https://i.imgur.com/X8qY0gP.jpg to see a detailed comparison of this year's Q1 to the last two Q1s.
    https://i.imgur.com/4z71cK8.jpg to see a detailed comparison of each years' first two quarters combined.
    https://i.imgur.com/jrHe5h8.jpg to see a projected comparison of the full years and what 2019's Q4 will need to catch up.
    Unsubbed January 15th, 2019 due to the lack of any new substantial features shown to be coming in 2019.
  • TheRedRavenTR
    TheRedRavenTR
    ✭✭
    JaZ2091 wrote: »
    Elaborate the Scorchbeast because I don't follow FO76. So a Skyrim Dragon times 10?

Think of a trial boss x10, independently roaming around the overworld. High-level adds spawn constantly during the fight. A close-knit team can bring it down, but even with top gear and skill it still takes a good long while.

Then again, for this to work they'd really need to rethink their "top 12 damage dealers are the only people who get loot" mechanic. Granted, they need to rethink that one anyways; it's a crappy mechanic.

In Skyrim we killed the first dragon with 5-6 guards. And if we assume that we were low level while killing the dragon,(which isnt a must but most likely) we would'nt be much stronger than a guard. So 10x a trial boss is pretty overtuned.And if we add in that to kill a trial boss, 12 players,some of them healing the players and tanking while some focus on doing damage, and they are all MUCH stronger than a typical whiterun guard, i would say there shouldn't be need for more than 4 veteran players to kill a dragon.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »

In the Chapter.

Like Housing, Battlegrounds, Warden and Transmutation that all were brought to the game in 2017?

If they're lazy they don't do it (like last year). If they want to step up their game, they have to because 2018 was very feature-less. And just Necromancers as a feature this year would be the height of ZOS laziness and I doubt they'd do this in their 5th anniversary year.
    Edited by Seraphayel on January 14, 2019 7:47AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Agreed spell crafting was designed by modders really in the single players if they couldn't implement it properly in the single players no telling what will happen here
  • MrGraves
    MrGraves
    ✭✭✭✭
    spell crafting sounds interesting. i can't see those abilities being anything but niche, however, or they would be way too strong.

I feel like they probably would need to change spell crafting a little bit. I kind of doubt it would be like enchantments/poisons.
    Maybe something like the scrolls in single player TES games. 1 time use spell type deal. Only you could probably make stacks of them like with other consumables and you could have it in your quick slot and it has a timer cool down. They wouldnt need to be too OP ofc but useful enough but ofc have the timer so it's not spammed out.
  • Jamdarius
    Jamdarius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot most important thing, whatever it is it will be available only if you buy chapter upgrade, spending immediatly another load of money for 1-2 features added and meagre storyline or wait for like half a year to get it cheaper.

They did not make warden competitive (in PvE) yet they plan to make another new class cause they can smell money from players going ecstatic over class named necromancer, so no matter how bad it will be made, they will still manage to make loads of money from those players. Well I am not expecting anything at this point tbh, now I hate mostly how poor server quality is.
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to be something lame and underwhelming, cmon folks this is ZOS we're dealing with.