Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

January Showcase 2019- SnowCap gryphon disappointment

JadonSky
JadonSky
✭✭✭✭✭
So I thought all the players that participated in the gifting event would have a special pet that others would not have. Something to make the player feel like that achieved something. Then the January Showcase comes out and its shows that they will be selling it as well.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel a little cheated. Like it was a marketing ploy to get me to buy crowns before the end of year to get a special pet that is now no longer special since anyone can purchase it anyways. And what about the people that may have spent a little more then 500 crowns per item since there aren't many decent things to give people for exactly 500 crowns.
  • Vudokan
    Vudokan
    ✭✭✭
    This is a betrayal of trust on the part of ZOS. They presented the gryphon as something you needed to participate in gift giving to obtain, yet now they're putting it up for sale without any need to gift things? Super pissed about this. Won't be participating in any more 'crown store' events like that ever again.

And if the gryphon goes for less than 1k crowns...
  • Lykanus
    Lykanus
    ✭✭✭
    JadonSky wrote: »
    So I thought all the players that participated in the gifting event would have a special pet that others would not have. Something to make the player feel like that achieved something. Then the January Showcase comes out and its shows that they will be selling it as well.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel a little cheated. Like it was a marketing ploy to get me to buy crowns before the end of year to get a special pet that is now no longer special since anyone can purchase it anyways. And what about the people that may have spent a little more then 500 crowns per item since there aren't many decent things to give people for exactly 500 crowns.

You had the spirit of gifting, it fullfilled that purpose. You made someone happy with gifting them crown store items and even got a reward for it in exchange...

Now it must be "exclusive"... is the world nowadays really that bad that only people are doing it for their own rewards and not for the christmas spirit of it?

Honestly i really dont see the problem that its being sold now too, i really would wish they would make these kind of things more often, with multiple options how you can "acquire" an item - gifting or buying. Gifting your friends makes a nicer community i do really appreciate that.

Hopefully ZOS doesnt get punished now for that, that they wanted to make the community a little more gifting around before christmas.
    Edited by Lykanus on January 2, 2019 8:31PM
  • ErinGoBrag520
    ErinGoBrag520
    ✭✭✭

I agree completely. I thought it was going to be something exclusive for participating which was why I did it.
  • tactx
    tactx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Live and learn.
    “No one's happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy.” - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lykanus wrote: »

You had the spirit of gifting, it fullfilled that purpose. You made someone happy with gifting them crown store items and even got a reward for it in exchange...

Now it must be "exclusive"... is the world nowadays really that bad that only people are doing it for their own rewards and not for the christmas spirit of it?

Honestly i really dont see the problem that its being sold now too, i really would wish they would make these kind of things more often, with multiple options how you can "acquire" an item - gifting or buying. Gifting your friends makes a nicer community i do really appreciate that.

Hopefully ZOS doesnt get punished now for that, that they wanted to make the community a little more gifting around before christmas.

Sorry but in this case I don't feel like that. I participated in the "Event" to get an "exclusive" pet. Also some people I know gave crown crates away or experience scrolls that were worth 400 so they had to give 3 of those items so 1200 crowns. For something they might sell for less.

It would be on thing if they marketed the event as "Gift up to a 1000 crowns and get this pet early". Instead of get this special pet to display that you gifted to others for the holiday.

Its the principle of it. They might as well not even had the event if they were going to sell it anyways. It now makes the event seem worthless and not special to me. Call me a grinch if you want but they gave false expectations, false marketing to get people to purchase crowns during the holidays, and it will be the last time I do a crown event.
  • Ekoe1954
    Ekoe1954
    ✭✭✭
    I was planning on gifting anyway and didn't do it for the pet... BUT, I agree... for ESO to turn around and rob those who participated of something "special" (which they presented it to be) cheapens it, AND cheapens Zos, but then again... they aren't very good at maintaining anything as special if they can make an extra nickel....
  • czar
    czar
    ✭✭✭✭

The problem is that ZOS weren't up-front about the fact that it would be possible to acquire the pet in multiple ways. Nobody likes to feel cheated, and it does seem like ZOS intentionally withheld that information in order to make a larger profit. With the way things are priced in the Crown Store, and the requirements being that you had to send a gift to two different accounts, chances are that a lot of people spent more than a thousand crowns to get the pet. It was deliberately designed that way, and now they tell us the pet will be available in the store for a set price.

It's just a bad way to treat your customers.
    stam scrub
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does seem a bit...wrong. I guess I'll wait and see how "wrong" it is when I see the price.

Anyhow, has anyone received their Snowcap Gryphon Fledgling pet yet?

The site states: "The Snowcap Fledgling Gryphon was a reward for participating in the December gift-giving event. Qualifying players received this pet earlier in January."

This leads me to believe they've already gone out? If so, I'm missing mine. : /
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's fine.
    If you did a crown store gift exchange with two other players, you essentially got the gryphon for free. (Not literally free, but you would have gotten a couple of crown store items for free from the other players in exchange, plus the gryphon.)
    If you buy it in the crown store, you'll be paying a high price for it and get nothing else.
    :/
    The official ESO Facebook page says they'll go out Jan. 4th.

Edited by SydneyGrey on January 2, 2019 10:16PM
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh great, thank you, SydneyGrey. (Didn't think to check Facebook.)
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aww, I was hoping for another free costume with eso plus. Wasn't particularly fond of the last one, since dresses don't really fit my characters so I hoped for something more interesting. Same with statues. Maybe next month then.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I think it's fine.
    If you did a crown store gift exchange with two other players, you essentially got the gryphon for free. (Not literally free, but you would have gotten a couple of crown store items for free from the other players in exchange, plus the gryphon.)
    If you buy it in the crown store, you'll be paying a high price for it and get nothing else.
    :/
    The official ESO Facebook page says they'll go out Jan. 4th.

I picked a few random new players that were out questing . So no gifts were provided back. I wasn't expecting them to give a gift back, my gift was the "exclusive" gryphon.
  • OldManJim
    OldManJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I feel a bit ripped off as well.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Zos, now i also want the worm wizard personality, all the trial/dungeon skins out in the crown store aswell, because why not?

>:)>:)

Shame on you ZoS!
    PC EU
  • j.greenmanb16_ESO
    j.greenmanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This is a #@$@'n disgusting move ZOS. They do it all the time, like selling pre-order rewards on the crown store. I have only bought crowns on a very rare occasion, but now, I will stick to what I get for my monthly sub. I pretty much only sub for the craft bag and item slot count increase anyways!
    "You are brave and you are strong, of this there is no doubt. But without me at your side, your deeds will go unknown, your death unwept and your story unsung - Sings-In-Shade, the Argonian Bard
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not suprised.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What makes it wrong, in my opinion, is the fact that they presented the gryphon pet as if gifting were the -only- way to obtain it, ever. I don't think it should be exclusive- I think it should have made a return every December and only be given out in this way (And additional pets should be added for those who already got this gryphon, allowing players to then choose which pet they would get, through an in-game pop up box that asks after you spend the required crowns, perhaps)

I intended to give gifts anyway, so the gryphon was just a bonus for me. But I do understand why others would feel deceived, and I don't think it was a good move on the part of ZOS since it is not a gesture in keeping with the intentions of their own event. The gryphon should have remained just that- a gift, not something that could later be purchased in the crown store.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is that they were not transparent about it.

Many of us gifted items specifically to get the pet, not knowing that we could easily just purchase it later. I gifted items to my ESO-playing relatives items they didn't really want, when it would have been massively simpler for me to just buy the pet later. If ZOS had been honest about it from the start, I could have made an informed decision. As it happened, I feel like I was scammed into it.

While I don't care about exclusivity, I do agree with the OP that this feels somewhat deceptive. And yes, there weren't many things you could gift for exactly 500 crowns.

And if the pet turns out to cost less than the 1000 crowns they required for the gifting exercise, I would definitely consider it a scam.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can it be deceptive when nowhere in the article did it say it was only available through the gift-giving period?

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/55273

It never says its exclusive, or implies that it is.

As long as the in-store version costs more than 1000 crowns, I see no reason for the outrage...
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Lykanus
    Lykanus
    ✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »

The problem is that they were not transparent about it.

Many of us gifted items specifically to get the pet, not knowing that we could easily just purchase it later. I gifted items to my ESO-playing relatives items they didn't really want, when it would have been massively simpler for me to just buy the pet later. If ZOS had been honest about it from the start, I could have made an informed decision. As it happened, I feel like I was scammed into it.

But thats exactly what i mean, feel good as you gifted your friends some items AND got the gryphon, why now all players are upset about this?
    Be proud that you gifted someone with christmas presents!

Yes - you COULD have made it simplier just buying it for 1k crowns but then you'd made no one happy... so why thats such a bad thing? I personally think that THIS WAY is much better for the community AND from ZOS!

But maybe i'm just seeing the world to good.

And honestly i dont think they will be selling the pet now below 1000 crowns and most likely the will state in the future that it will be buyable at a later point too- if they should ever make such an event i again- what i hope, that would for sure have prevented some anger - but for sure it was no intention nor did they something bad with that. They just made some people happier (those who got the gifts!). Dont think only about yourself, you made someone happy AND got the pet.
    A much better deal for me. 2 People got gifts AND you get the gryphon. Instead of just making yourself happy.

Edited by Lykanus on January 3, 2019 2:27AM
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can it be deceptive when nowhere in the article did it say it was only available through the gift-giving period?

As long as the in-store version costs more than 1000 crowns, I see no reason for the outrage...

I consider it somewhat deceptive because the full facts, with which we could have made an informed decision, were not disclosed. It may not be an outright deception, but it definitely feels manipulative.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I consider it somewhat deceptive because the full facts, with which we could have made an informed decision, were not disclosed. It may not be an outright deception, but it definitely feels manipulative.

You mean if you knew you weren't going to be the only ones able to own it, you wouldn't have gifted? Can you say that without feeling a little bad or selfish? Because I can't even type that without feeling cringy.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You mean if you knew you weren't going to be the only ones able to own it, you wouldn't have gifted? Can you say that without feeling a little bad or selfish? Because I can't even type that without feeling cringy.

I don't think that's what anyone is trying to say at all. What most of us are trying to say is that what ZOS is doing isn't even in the spirit of their own gift-giving event. It is deceptive. Skewing the motivations of the buyer does not change the fact that what the event seemed like- a kindness on the part of ZOS to encourage gifting within the community- now seems dishonest.

I don't think it's wrong to want to make an informed decision, either, given that ZOS was attempting to motivate gift-purchases by giving away the pet, then turns around and puts the pet directly into the cash shop barely a month later. Especially when some people may have had trouble finding people to gift, or finding gifts others would actually want. It looks bad.

There is no reason anyone should feel bad for being angry about this either- regardless of what their motivations for purchasing were, the fact of the matter is, ZOS did not present buyers with all of the facts. This isn't just about "being exclusive" it's about the company doing what seems to be a kind gesture, then making double the profit off of it. People should not be guilted for doing exactly what ZOS intended them to do while they were under the impression that this was the only way to obtain the pet.

The griffin should have remained a gift to those who purchased gifts, period, not sold separately. And like I said in my above post, it should be a thing that returns every December.
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on January 3, 2019 3:21AM
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We all have different reasons for wanting the pet. I personally don't care about exclusivity (while others might), but I do care about transparency. As we all should, by the way, unless you want to encourage manipulative company practices.
  • Vudokan
    Vudokan
    ✭✭✭

Give me a break.

So people who feel betrayed over manipulative and deceptive marketing practices are now somehow evil and selfish? OK then pray tell me, how evil and selfish are the people who didn't gift anything from the crown store at all, regardless of motivation?

Why the need to make character judgments on people who are justifiably angry? To feel morally superior?

It's really simple: ZOS misled people and they are angry about it. Not because the pet is not 'exclusive' but rather because the marketing practices were smarmy and people were led to spend money they might not have otherwise spent in the store. The complaint isn't about gifting, it's about being manipulated.
  • j.greenmanb16_ESO
    j.greenmanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I highly doubt most of the gifting that went on during December was simply out of some sort of good will Christmas spirit. Lets see some charts depicting the amount of gifting from before they announced the gryphon pet to after, then you can start wagging your shame finger from your high horse.

But I highly doubt you would be.
    "You are brave and you are strong, of this there is no doubt. But without me at your side, your deeds will go unknown, your death unwept and your story unsung - Sings-In-Shade, the Argonian Bard
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, i didn´t offer anything but i would be angry as well! :s

It is somewhat unbelievable how the people responsible for the "crown store program" don´t think about this "social" aspects when they take these decisions…

Obviously ... it should be an exclusive pet! (although nothing was said about that)
    Obviously… ZOS should write an official post to apologize, and change the crown store pet for another one!
    Probably… neither they will apologize neither they will do nothing about it and lose some credibility in future events like these!
  • Carylas
    Carylas
    ✭✭✭
    Huh, not surprised there. I did the gifting mainly to get it.

But I exchanged gifts with my guild mates. We gifted each other the ice wolf cub pet (1k crowns) and later I gifted a 10 crown worth of a shrub to another one. Even if they'd price the Gryphon at 1k crowns I'll still be getting 2 pets for 1010 crowns.

The previous limited time Gryphon pet was priced at what, 2500 crowns? I expect to see a similar price on this one too.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy it's available another way because I don't like exclusive items. I feel terrible if someone asks how to get something they like and I have to say they can't.

But I'm surprised it's being sold so quickly and I really hope it costs 1000 crowns or a lot if people are going to feel cheated.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Also it is nowhere written that those rare Radiant Apex mounts will forever be obtained from crates. So what If you had the luck to get one and on the same day ZOS starts selling them for 600 gems? Its basically the same.