The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Devastating Effects of Lag on PvP

JackDaniell
JackDaniell
✭✭✭✭✭
Been having a tough time playing the game due to performance issues, thought I would share some thoughts,

https://youtu.be/JgbaotKCFmQ
Ebonheart Templar

www.youtube.com/user/kristofersommermusic
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst thing about this is that it invariably punishes solo and small scale players far more heavily than it does casuals and big groups who often benefit directly from lag. All the worst skills in this game to deal with like Snipe and Incap, the skills usually being spammed on you, they all work fantastically in conjunction with the lag to cause health desyncs. Stamblades who just cloak and reset endlessly until finally one of their incap combos (sometimes paired with snipe) lags you out badly enough that you can break free or your health desyncs. It’s also just really hard to deal with out numbered fights if you can’t rely on roll dodge and heals to come through when you need them. And we will get everyone saying you shouldn’t be able to win out numbered fights, it’s jsut crazy to me how everything in ESO PvP, even the lag, caters to casuals. The thing is it’s not just in big fights on vivec. This lag happens almost constantly and it can be in a 1v1 in some empty corner on an empty map. But I’ll be damned if they every do anything about it.
    Edited by Vapirko on December 29, 2018 2:11AM
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Why Are We Still Here? Just To Suffer?"
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You touched on one of the most annoying aspects of this, is the extreme lag experience while fps and ping are in normal ranges.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Unstable.Pixel
    Unstable.Pixel
    ✭✭✭
    The game is a flaming trashcan. I put my time into a different game now, and it is so much more enjoyable. I do log into ESO every couple weeks or so for a few hours and I'm immediately reminded why I don't bother.
    I swear to drunk i'm not god
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also I like to add the chance to disconnect when traveling to a fort or outpost that is heavily under siege which is extremely frustrating. The amount of players I see disconnect each day is laughable.

The health desyncs that can occurs during lag which is very detrimental to your survival.

And other things that... are broken.... and has yet to be addressed....
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • JackDaniell
    JackDaniell
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kikazaru wrote: »
    Also I like to add the chance to disconnect when traveling to a fort or outpost that is heavily under siege which is extremely frustrating. The amount of players I see disconnect each day is laughable.

The health desyncs that can occurs during lag which is very detrimental to your survival.

And other things that... are broken.... and has yet to be addressed....

I make a point never to kill an afk player because its very likely they recently dc'ed
    Ebonheart Templar

www.youtube.com/user/kristofersommermusic
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LAG is the ABSOLUTE WORST thing in pvp.. its caused many of the friends i have made in ESO to quit due to pure frustration. we moan a lot about meta builds and this that and the other but ultimately lag is the real reason why people quit PVP.

Edit.. Every patch the lag gets worse but its exceptionally bad since Murkmire.
    Edited by Starlight_Knight on December 29, 2018 3:54AM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let’s not forget that they still struggle with group finder bugs, and a player had to figure out the guild roster issue. So, even though we might like to think that they simply haven’t or won’t fix performance issues, it’s far more likely that they just can’t and have no idea what’s causing most of it. That’s the real kicker.
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 years into lag and still hoping? Boy I'd love to be as optimistic as you. Whether it's incompetence or not caring, I seriously can't see them putting resources in making cyrodiil playable
  • FireCowCommando
    FireCowCommando
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever ZoS decides to take the game seriously ill happily stop laughing at them, but until then... :D
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something is really messed up at Zos. The fact that this game runs the way it does WHILE Zos is ignorant and silent on the forums just shows we need to find a new game to play. They barely communicate and when they do its vague empty words. There isnt much implication that they understand the game the way players do. It must be the devs bosses, hell maybe that explains why the original crew left, now were left with a bunch of oafs that have no idea what to do with the code.
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's the ESO paradox.

The closer to death this game gets the more playable it becomes.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree about Balance being better. i feel it's worse than it was. though i suppose that depends on how you define "balance" but for me, if classes lose their class identity to achieve "balance" it's not real balance plus this so-called "balance" pretty much decimated the PvP population. anyways, doubt they're ever gonna fix the lag. i mean lets be honest. the vast majority of the competitive players/guilds left..... what are they going to invest time and money into fixing the lag for?. At this point it's not a good return, as they didn't retain their playerbase.
    Edited by Lucky28 on December 30, 2018 4:06PM
    Invictus
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s in a sad state.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm calling it, ZoS is collecting your data and selling it to the highest bidder lol.

That's why it's laggy all the time
    Edited by Minno on December 30, 2018 5:02PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • SDraconis
    SDraconis
    ✭✭✭
    a poo poo
    Edited by SDraconis on December 30, 2018 9:01PM
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SDraconis wrote: »
    The most powerful man behind Zeni is a Trump. Which means at this point Mueller is our best remaining hope for ZOS to suddenly "find the resources" to fix the lag.

I bet my bottom tail-feather that the moment America works up the courage to see Trump for what he really is, all Zeni/Beth properties clean up their acts too.

Most of us come here for a break from hearing about the ****show that is politics in our country. There are better forums for you to make (what I'm sure passes for you as) profound political insights.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been in game for a while. I just can't play atm. The nerfs was annoying enough, they really hurt my character and enjoyment as a solo player but the bugs and lag seem to be at an all time high too.

Skills and potions not working properly most of the time and the countless other issues really makes it impossible to play, especially when I'm always fighting outnumbered and my opponents are stacking snipes/bleeds that work even better in lag.

Plus no idea if it's just a controller issue or not but sometimes I press a skill and a completely different skill activates, like wtf ? But still the most annoying one for me is skills just not working, If I'm surrounded and press streak there is 0 reason it shouldn't work, but I usually just stand still and die. Same with ults, they take multiple presses to work, and because of me needed to press 2 buttons it usually just spams my bound armements multiple times lol, ult not working and wasting around 10k stam for no reason is an instant fight loser.
  • Yirmeyahu
    Yirmeyahu
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, Jack. Solid content. It is long overdue for lots of people to openly speak about this.

My "TESO Credentials" are in my signature. I've been a hardcore, staunch supporter of the game and have basically done everything there is to do at a high level from the beginning.
    (Insert, "You have no life." troll comments made by "no life trolls", themselves, here. :# )

At this point, however, the only reasonable thing for a person desiring to remain sane to do is walk away. I honestly don't know what more to do than "talk with my wallet" to this company. (That includes not playing... at all.) Paying even one, thin dime or continuing to play TESO is only enforcing the notion that ZeniMax Online Studios (et al) can continue to make money while peddling broken rubbish. It is actually an epidemic within gaming, as a whole, these days that really needs to be stopped.

This is all still 100% discussing server performance, by the way.
    (It's a far longer "rant" to discuss the "balance changes" still being made to the game that really only serve to push out "serious players".)
  • SDraconis
    SDraconis
    ✭✭✭
    scooby dooby doo
    Edited by SDraconis on December 30, 2018 8:47PM
  • Iskras
    Iskras
    ✭✭✭
    Been having a tough time playing the game due to performance issues, thought I would share some thoughts,

https://youtu.be/JgbaotKCFmQ

Easy solution (and sad)

- I just close the game, I leave the game until others leave the game. This will have no solution. It seems that companies are not willing to invest in quality of services provided.

Sad? Yes...... and many only continue in ESO due to the lack of other alternatives.
    Edited by Iskras on December 30, 2018 8:48PM
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Move on Jack. Don't waste your time with ESO or ZOS. I quit this game, and canceled my subscription. In fact, the only reason why I ran into your video was because it was posted in a discord channel I occassionally visit. I've cut ESO out of my time and I can honestly say it was a very wise decision. I seriously suggest you do the same.
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    I'm calling it, ZoS is collecting your data and selling it to the highest bidder lol.

That's why it's laggy all the time

@Minno your probably right bro lol how ironic eh? They tried once already with redshell so who knows lol

Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• tonemd
    tonemd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try to look on the bright side.

One man's lag is another man's lag.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is always crickets from ZOS on these posts .... for 4 years now... Crickets ....

I play on Shore most nights since its not that bad at primetime on most days and there is no lag.... I usually run from 1 to a group of 5 or 6 there most of the time its more like 3 or 4.... However if a faction kills the map at 5pm to 6 pm it ruins the server for that night and its dead.... I go to shore because I enjoy playing all the abilities that are avaiable to me in this game ... Not a select few that are not as effected by lag .... Not the crazy bugs that exist on vevic .... At times its not a quality game... I cant beleive a company would continue to tarnish its reputation with this performance....

There are fixes for this ZOS refuses to listen to its comunity they will release a twitch and totally ignore what everyone in the game is talking about to talk about a cool looking mouse pet or something....

Grouping needs to be smaller this game cannot support the large warfare it advertises.. However it can do very well in medium engagements.... Vevic needs to be half its current size... please turn Shore into a 15/ 30 day and cut the Vevic population again.... Allow guilds a 15 day grace period in switching servers to work out their primary servers .... When PVP event occure creat 2 more 7 day servers to allow for influx of people....

Grouping changes could include ... You get increase AP bonus from 10% 2-3 people..... 15% 4-6 ...... 20% 6-12 ..... There should be no groups larger then 12 since there is nothing else in the game that requires it.... Now if a large guild wants to run 2 groups of 12 then let them howerver they will receive no bonus if they are located with in 28 meters of each other this would not unclude tics ofcourse ..... This change would promote more strategy and have 6 different groups running through the frontier .. Smaller guilds could then come into play ....

These are not huge changes but changes that will spread the populations out is essential for success of PVP ...

Grouping is essential to having a healthy PVP population however in the last 4 years ZOS has not be able to fix the lag from these huge zergs that develope everynight ...

PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    well, it always amaze me the bitting jabs that kill me from 15 mts away, as much as the phantom incap or the time travelling shalks (I'm sure they hit before they appear)

In fact, we should create real tooltips, like:

Subterranean Assault

Stir a group of Shalk that attack 3 seconds before they appear, dealing xxx Poison Damage to enemies that will be in front of you. Enemies damaged are afflicted with Major Fracture, reducing their Physical Resistance by 5280 for 5 seconds, and sent to Oblivion.
    Edited by Xvorg on December 31, 2018 7:31PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Icarus42
    Icarus42
    ✭✭✭
    I play games to have fun getting killed by lag bombs= not fun.
    Ebonheart Pact - PC NA - Magicka Sorcerer
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Wrath wrote: »
    Something is really messed up at Zos. The fact that this game runs the way it does WHILE Zos is ignorant and silent on the forums just shows we need to find a new game to play. They barely communicate and when they do its vague empty words. There isnt much implication that they understand the game the way players do. It must be the devs bosses, hell maybe that explains why the original crew left, now were left with a bunch of oafs that have no idea what to do with the code.

The same lead oafs are still here? Isn’t Wheeler, lambert, wrobel, and firor still here? To my knowledge the only ones that left were konkel, Maria, and Paul sage? And they didn’t really take anything with them. The pvp game was still garbage when they were around. I rememberc sage telling people and to spread out and find other things to do if they want pvp to work.
    Edited by LegacyDM on January 1, 2019 11:49PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can assure you all that eventually a game will come around that has much less (or even none at all) PvP lag. ESO will then become a vacant lot. The PvE game will still be strong ,but eventually they will be down to one PvP server. If they don't shut them all down totally.

I've played with some extremely good players/people in the past 4 years. I don't have anyone on my friends list from when I started this game. Not a single one. They've all left. It's for various reasons sure. But the lag, the bugs, the balance, the broken stuff? That's what made many of them leave.
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why they make 3 simple changes ...

1. Cut Vevic's population again...
    2. Make shore the same rule set ...
    3. Limit the total people in a group 12 like the rest of the game.

This would a good step it would not solve the lag but it would be much better...

Im not sure why Shore needs to be a 7 day campaign ... Please change this ...

When we have events we add 7 day campaigns ..

PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables