The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What are your non-meta Tank builds?

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Its easy to spot a Tank when they're surrounded by floating red orbs. But those of you who remain orbless, how is your Tank setup? What gear do you wear?
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My offspec is a tank and the gear is basic as hell lol Gloom graced and Plague Doctor, only because it was free or cheap or minimal effort to obtain lol
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For normals, my Stam sorc DPS/tank wore Syvarra's Scales, Stormfist and Thunderbug. Because passive poison and shock damage are fun when combined with Stam Sorc Hurricane + Implosion procs.

Unfortunately, it wasnt tanky enough to really do well beyond easy Vets, but for normal dungeons it was great for carrying PUGs.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My nightblade tank is set up with spell power cure jewelry and weapons, bahraha's curse heavy armor and Bogdan monster set with lightning staff back bar. It won't be optimal in vet trials, but it can blast through most dungeons just fine with a 1 tank/3 dps setup and provide many of the buffs and heals that a healer might otherwise provide while face tanking most anything that can't 1 shot it.
  • LdoubleTG
    LdoubleTG
    ✭✭
    My NB tank is in Bahrahas and whatever else paired with LW or BS depending on who i run with 😉
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragon set, ayslum great sword, potentences on Sorc means 40% ultimate reduction

I support allies with best war horn uptime possible. Also it's simply fun with low cost almost spammable ults like 2hander ultimate.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=78878
    Edited by Tasear on December 20, 2018 6:18AM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Brutusmax1mus on December 20, 2018 6:19AM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My warden uses livewire, sanctuary. Works fine for 4 man stuff but the one trial I tried was rough.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently loving wearing bone pirates tatters on my jewellery and weapons - on a bosmer nightblade werewolf, so after a potion my Stam recovery is 3.5k, which is enough to spam boneshield indefinitely - with 30k health, at Max resistance and with casting shadowcloak on cooldown I can effortlessly take 40k damage per second (before resistances) without blocking! Blocking the really big hits is only a minor interruption to the epic Stam Regen.

Sadly I felt I had to wear ebon as my other set to make me look like a conventional tank, because random group members often complain about tanking on a nightblade before they see the insane sustainability and survivability of boneshield tanking. I've tanked most vet dungeons and normal cloudrest so far.

The other things I love about this build is you can really spam abilities, and when solo turning werewolf let's you play as a damage dealer.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sets I use on my characters in general are governed more by their identity as characters than what is supposedly optimum. I have several characters I run as tank/damage hybrids, but I'll just cover my tank/tank.

The character that became my primary tank is an Imperial artificer, and the class I found fit best for him was Templar. He runs sets that are thematically appropriate for an artificer. His monster set has always been Engine Guardian and I can't fathom swapping it out for anything else. When Clockwork City dropped I immediately picked up Livewire for him, because exploding in gears is pure awesome for an artificer. The third set has fluxed between plague doctor and warrior poet, neither of which do I particularly like for him but he needs the health from those sets since most of his points are in stamina. He's tanked everything I've thrown at him - normal dungeons, vet dungeons, normal trials, and he's my go-to for those annoying DLC dungeons as well. Haven't run him through vet trials, but I have zero interest in that.

Best thing about being a Templar tank - throwing shards at the damage dealers and feeling the confused look on their faces. "Wait... did that tank just help me restore resources? WAT!?" Yes, yes he did.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The tank I've been using the most recently is using Plague Doctor and Resilient Yokeda, so a selfish build. I'm using this setup as it allows me to have all attribute points in magicka, and still have stamina higher than magicka in tank gear with reasonable max health (34.7k). It works fine for base game vet dungeons. When I'm more done with skill point and gear acquisition, I'll try to have ebon as an option. Alkosh only really drops for me as body pieces.
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    My dk runs alkosh and pd with the asylum sword and board on front bar with def. Post. And 2 monster pcs that grant mr.

My warden runs dragon and pd with the monster set that grants resist and ulti
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely selfish on my dps nb when i switch to tank:

Bahrahas Curse x5
    Warrior Poet x5
    Bloodspawn x2

Plenty of resistances, max stats and some heals. Though no group buffing :/
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haquor wrote: »
    Completely selfish on my dps nb when i switch to tank:

Bahrahas Curse x5
    Warrior Poet x5
    Bloodspawn x2

Plenty of resistances, max stats and some heals. Though no group buffing :/

Well people are already selfish when they claim "Healers arent needed to complete Dungeons", so its okay to be selfish right back at em.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Thorstienn
    Thorstienn
    ✭✭✭
    Some nice ideas you all have, I may try some.
    Mine are,

Templar: infernal Guard, Medusa, PD with DW back bar.

NB: Scourge Harvester, Imp Bastion and Ebon.

Sorc: Warden, Alkosh body (MA tank), Doylemish with 2h Back bar.

Warden: iceheart, Necro body (LA tank), Ebon with dual frost staves.

DK: Grothdar, Bahrahas, Gloom with Fire Staff back bar.
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    dk orc with torugs, alkosh and bloodspawn. with frontbar s&b, infused crush enchant on sword, backbar lighting staff :)
  • DoobZ69
    DoobZ69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorc Tank
    DPS: Hundings, Spriggans, Tremorscale. 21.k HP and great for non-DLC vet dungeons.
    Tanking: Ebon, Torug's, Bloodspawn 36k HP and not enough to tank latest DLC dungeons. Abandoned character.

DK Tank
    DPS: Hundings, Spriggans, Tremorscale. 36.5K HP and great for almost all dungeons, can't solo as well as a Sorc.
    Tanking: Ebon, Dragon, Bloodspawn. 48k HP and able to do everything easily. Sleep walk tank.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Argonian DK Tank: Bahraha's Curse, Leeching Plate, and Malubeth (PvE) or Valkyn (PvP)
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc tank: Knightmare and Imperium. Magicka based, ice staff back bar. Vulnerability, maim and group shields. Much much better as an off tank that deals good damage.

Warden Tank: Vampire cloak and withered hand. Magicka based, ica staff back bar. With the Netch up, I hardly have no resource.

Nb tank: champion of the Hist and dragon guard. Stam based, two hander back bar. Versus bosses, I love this setup. Constant shield ult. It works well with Warhorn too.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last was magnb 30k magicka / 30k hp, ice staff/restoration staff, ulfnor's favor 3+2 on resto, akaviri dragonguard + two endurance with stam recovery or wisdom rings with spell power dependent on dungeon, thurvokun or valkyn head depending on dps cp. Crazy magicka restore per restoration HA - 8-9k. Entropy for huge health buff and major sorcery.
    I just spammed all skills, like entering the room and sending 5-6 inner rages in few seconds, yeah i may afford it. Surprise attack/ele drain for debuffs, ice blockade for cc, leashes for gathering of mobs, swallow soul if no healer, impale on execute.

Fun as hell, though tired of it after all and turn to dps after gathering all skillpoints and reaching undaunted 9.
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Nord DK:
    Dragonguard + Black Rose + Bloodspawn. 40k HP

Fast warhorns and i still get stam back when i block :wink:
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My Breton Templar

Dragongaurd + Ebon + Shadowrend. 41K Hp (20K stam and mag).

I hit the spell resist cap when I am standing on my rune so I can't use Torags.

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    My Breton Templar

Can't or don't want to? There is nothing wrong with going over the cap. Also, does shadowrend proc a lot for you?
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »

Honestly saying i don't understand all this fuss around leeching plate. Yes, it's pure cheesy imba when you are surrounded by ton of mobs, but.. but most hard hits and dangers come from boss, powerful lone adds or mechanics, survival on trash pulls is not an issue so.. so leeching plate is just fun set for faceroll runs or solo experience grinding, nothing more.
  • SvariBK
    SvariBK
    ✭✭
    I used beekeeper orgnums scale and engine guardian. On a Nord dk health regen tank. It worked really well especially when I couldn't rely on the healer. But then I realized I could do much more for the group than just taunting and surviving and got ebon and alkosh/PA, or a alkosh PA build for ez content. There is a reason to run meta, it's so much more group supportive :)
    BK-22 PC EU Player
    Tank & DD
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    My Breton Templar

Can't or don't want to? There is nothing wrong with going over the cap. Also, does shadowrend proc a lot for you?

Inefficiency D:

Templar tanks get super tight on their bar space so I like having dragonguard and shadowrend over Heroic Slash and I am trying to pump mag regen which dragongaurd gives me.

I am having no trouble procing shadowrend.
  • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    OneKhajiitCrimeWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My warden tank is:

2 Lord Warden
    5 Plague Doctor
    5 Hanu's Compassion (the extra 5th piece bonus is only there for "OH SITH" moments)

6 heavy and 1 light. Double sword and board.

Imperial with Atronach Mundus.

I was the tank and the healer in one for getting our scalecaller skins.

Sit on around 2200 mag recovery (back bar) with a potion up and i slot and use efficient purge back bar.

Front bar mag recovery sits on 2k.
    Dark Flare is the Beginning, Radiant is the End. Hail the Light Bringers!
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a very selfish setup right now:

5x Crest of Cyrodiil (front bar)
    5x Jailer's Tenactiy (both bars)
    2x Maelstrom S+B back bar
    2x Earthgore

Can pretty much live forever with that build. And the healing factor is ridiculous.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    5pc Ravager 5pc Veiled Heritance 2pc Engine Guardian.

Show up to dungeon, kill everything, leave.
  • bharathitman
    bharathitman
    ✭✭✭✭
    The issue with non meta tank builds are that it can only be played properly by players with a great amount of experience in the said content. I have seen enough people calling themselves ‘Damage Tanks’ with 20k health get one shot in non dlc dungeons because they forgot to hold block as they were busy casting their dots and what not