Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What are your non-meta Tank builds?

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue with non meta tank builds are that it can only be played properly by players with a great amount of experience in the said content. I have seen enough people calling themselves ‘Damage Tanks’ with 20k health get one shot in non dlc dungeons because they forgot to hold block as they were busy casting their dots and what not

That really depends on the Meta. In most cases, the Meta's are designed around optimal group play, using sets like Alkosh. If you are a beginner tank, or a tank that is not great, you are better off not playing a meta build.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue with non meta tank builds are that it can only be played properly by players with a great amount of experience in the said content. I have seen enough people calling themselves ‘Damage Tanks’ with 20k health get one shot in non dlc dungeons because they forgot to hold block as they were busy casting their dots and what not

Come to vet dungeon -> see 20k health tank -> initiate kick. Kick failed? leave group, i have no wish to entertain fake tanks
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK Chudan Seducer Dragon
  • Samsgaard
    Samsgaard
    ✭✭✭
    Besides my DK that's pretty meta but kinda boring:

Vikky Storm-shield (shock tank): Nord, hybrid Sorc (slightly stam-leaning), S&B/lightning staff, Ilambris/Shacklebreaker/Netch and Thunderbug. My favorite and most versatile toon.

Samsgaard Icebreaker (ice tank): Nord, hybrid Warden (mag-leaning), S&B/frost staff, Iceheart/Shacklebreaker/the-new-set-that-keeps-minor-heroism-up-in-combat. Playstyle really opened up after I dropped heroic slash, committing to getting minor maim through chilled status effects and minor heroism from the set.

Witch-king of Angmar (shadow tank): Imperial, mag NB, S&B/frost staff, Lord Warden/War Maiden/various heavy sets. Fun while it lasted but not so much after Morrowind and pretty much retired since Nerfmire.

Samsgaard Sunspear (paladin tank): Imperial, mag Templar, S&B/resto staff, Bloodspawn/Dragonguard/Seducer. Aiming to replace Dragon with Olorime's to optimize for tank/healer + 3 DPS runs.

Tarzan Jungletank (name says it all): Imperial, stam Warden, S&B/bow, Tremorscale/Shacklebreaker/Bone Pirate (pending completion of set; Plague Doctor for now). Newest tank, off-off meta and the hardest to play, but very different and rewarding.

• Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »

Honestly saying i don't understand all this fuss around leeching plate. .

Pretty sure no fuss was made...use it or don't, completely your choice! ;)

• generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i had a lot of fun with beckoning steel in pve and pvp. felt like a hero! woot!

Imperium
    beckoning steel
    lord warden
    Edited by generalmyrick on December 22, 2018 1:19AM
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    I'm currently loving wearing bone pirates tatters on my jewellery and weapons - on a bosmer nightblade werewolf, so after a potion my Stam recovery is 3.5k, which is enough to spam boneshield indefinitely - with 30k health, at Max resistance and with casting shadowcloak on cooldown I can effortlessly take 40k damage per second (before resistances) without blocking! Blocking the really big hits is only a minor interruption to the epic Stam Regen.

Sadly I felt I had to wear ebon as my other set to make me look like a conventional tank, because random group members often complain about tanking on a nightblade before they see the insane sustainability and survivability of boneshield tanking. I've tanked most vet dungeons and normal cloudrest so far.

The other things I love about this build is you can really spam abilities, and when solo turning werewolf let's you play as a damage dealer.

How does being a werewolf help? Do you actually tank in werewolf mode?
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    I'm currently loving wearing bone pirates tatters on my jewellery and weapons - on a bosmer nightblade werewolf, so after a potion my Stam recovery is 3.5k, which is enough to spam boneshield indefinitely - with 30k health, at Max resistance and with casting shadowcloak on cooldown I can effortlessly take 40k damage per second (before resistances) without blocking! Blocking the really big hits is only a minor interruption to the epic Stam Regen.

Sadly I felt I had to wear ebon as my other set to make me look like a conventional tank, because random group members often complain about tanking on a nightblade before they see the insane sustainability and survivability of boneshield tanking. I've tanked most vet dungeons and normal cloudrest so far.

The other things I love about this build is you can really spam abilities, and when solo turning werewolf let's you play as a damage dealer.

How does being a werewolf help? Do you actually tank in werewolf mode?

In ZOS' own words werewolves were never meant to be tanks......just saying.
  • What_In_Tarnation
    What_In_Tarnation
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of my tanks use setup like: Galenwe/imperium + powerful assault + lord warden/bloodspawn/earthgore, but mostly play in dungeons.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a build I use for my warden tank when we do 4 man stuff (including new HM vet dungeons) because we will often run with 3 dps (one of them a magplar that off heals when someone needs a burst) and I wanted a heal/tank setup. So I run Battalion Defender to give me or someone else random heals as I get hit and Olirime so I can put the healing bloom down and they can get the damage buff. Usually will wear Earthgore with it, or sometimes Lord Warden. Ebon works instead of Battalion if you really want, but I hate the red balls, I've also used Imperium as well and it's good, but the BD set seems like it has been pretty solid so far. Master Architect I've also tried instead of Olirime - works ok too, but nice to be able to have that buff there the whole fight instead of when I ulti and I like the 2,3, 4 pieces for Olirime better for tanking that MA.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC