The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Arctic Wind Master Plan

ESO_Nightingale
ESO_Nightingale
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Hello my fellow wardens! I am very passionate about the warden class and specifically mag warden. I'm very active around the warden posts and the warden discord, If you have seen me around you might have seen me say something like "I promote The Arctic Wind Master Plan". today I would just like to state what that is again to help eliminate confusion

It was an idea that I had quite a few months ago. The Warden Discord and I honed it to its current form after Arctic Blast was gutted last patch and we truly believe that it is the best thing to do to the skill line, making it a unique and useful stun to the class. without further ado i'll get into it.

What we aim to achieve is:

1: Move the old Arctic Blast to the base skill (Arctic Wind). This then means that polar wind inherits the maim proccing skill and also gets to keep their "frost tank" identity while not losing something they enjoyed.

2: Add back old Arctic Blast's AoE to the new Arctic Blast. however make it scale off magicka and spell damage. (it has been argued that Magden does not play at close range so there are multiple other options you can do to fix the skill in addition to this)
  • Add the AoE field to enemies hit with the projectile. either additionally to the one applied to caster or ONLY on the enemy
  • Reduce the cost down from 4051 magicka
  • make the projectile faster
  • make the projectile do decent single target frost damage

using the first idea. ill show you a visual representation of it:

New Arctic Wind: artic_wind.jpg

Envelop yourself in winter winds healing yourself for 15% of your max health instantly and an additional 2% health every 2 seconds for 10 seconds.

Enemies in the area take 349 frost damage every 2 seconds over 10 seconds.

New Polar Wind: polar_wind.jpg

Envelop yourself in winter winds healing yourself and an ally for 15% of your max health instantly and healing yourself an additional 2% health every 2 seconds for 10 seconds.

Enemies in the area take 349 frost damage every 2 seconds over 10 seconds.

New Effect: Heals a nearby ally.

New Arctic Blast: artic_blast.jpg

Envelop yourself in winter winds healing yourself for 15% of your max health instantly and an additional 2% health every 2 seconds for 10 seconds and launching an icy projectile at a target, stunning them for 3 seconds.The winds freeze enemies around you and the targeted enemy dealing 349 Frost Damage every 2 seconds for 10 seconds

New Effect:

Damage now scales off max magicka and spell damage, stuns and damages targeted enemy and enemies around target

I hope this helped to eliminate any confusion around the master plan!

I have started an Unofficial ESO Frost Discord, please join it so we can discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/S7HceUY
Edited by ESO_Nightingale on December 14, 2018 10:09AM
PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • agasaagasai
    agasaagasai
    ✭✭✭
    You have always been the strongest voice fighting for frost dps! It'll be an uphill battle but you will always have support from all the ice mages out there! Bon courage!
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have always been the strongest voice fighting for frost dps! It'll be an uphill battle but you will always have support from all the ice mages out there! Bon courage!

thanks @agasaagasai! it means a lot!
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Dr3sden
    Dr3sden
    ✭✭✭
    you have my personal support in frost warden.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dr3sden wrote: »
    you have my personal support in frost warden.

Many thanks!
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    As you know I am a big supporter of the ice mage play style, it was probably the most unique play style in the game. I loved my ice mage tank she could do all the vet content fine what the people at Zos did to Arctic Blast just showed disrespect to an entire player base

I know some would say that it only had two to three players and noobs that ran frost staffs but it had a large following and respect for its differences to the other play styles

You have my support but I don’t like the term master plan I prefer fix a broken skill that Zos created

Your new Arctic Blast proposal, I personal would either remove the stun and leave it based off Magicka or remove the frost damage every 2 seconds and leave it as a stun one of frost damage and heal. I think this would make a balance between the two options
    Edited by macsmooth on December 14, 2018 10:30AM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    macsmooth wrote: »
    As you know I am a big supporter of the ice mage play style I loved my ice mage tank she could do all the vet content fine what the people at Zos did to Arctic Blast just showed disrespect to an entire player base

You have my support but I don’t like the term master plan I prefer fix a broken skill that Zos created

Your new Arctic Blast proposal, I personal would either remove the stun and leave it based off Magicka or remove the frost damage every 2 seconds and leave it as a stun one of frost damage and heal. I think this would make a balance between the two options

Its the master plan because its a pretty catchy name and we want it to "catch on". As for the stun, yeah it would be great if it wasnt in that skill. But we are trying to make do with what zos has put there. While it would be better if it was instead on growing swarm, we dont have that luxury. Anywho. This is the best thing we could think of as a compromise for everyone. Magdps, tanks and zos's vision.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on December 14, 2018 10:48AM
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have my support.

And my Master Ice Staff to back you up
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    As you know I am a big supporter of the ice mage play style I loved my ice mage tank she could do all the vet content fine what the people at Zos did to Arctic Blast just showed disrespect to an entire player base

Its the master plan because its a pretty catchy name and we want it to "catch on". As for the stun, yeah it would be great if it wasnt in that skill. But we are trying to make do with what zos has put there. While it would be better if it was instead on growing swarm, we dont have that luxury. Anywho. This is the best thing we could think of as a compromise for everyone. Magdps, tanks and zos's vision.

Honestly I can’t call it that, this is on me as a take on words. History is full of master plans and they never worked out well for some, so I will call it the improvement. Again this is just me and not meant to be disrespectful

With the Arctic Blast I get the work with what we have been shafted with but you did see I gave a second option for the skill and maybe to help it, if it a targeted stun with frost damage and 50% splash damage to nearby enemies and just 15% instant heal and heal overtime
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Honestly I can’t call it that, this is on me as a take on words. History is full of master plans and they never worked out well for some, so I will call it the improvement. Again this is just me and not meant to be disrespectful

With the Arctic Blast I get the work with what we have been shafted with but you did see I gave a second option for the skill and maybe to help it, if it a targeted stun with frost damage and 50% splash damage to nearby enemies and just 15% instant heal and heal overtime

we are trying to give people back something they loved along with cutting back work that ZoS needs to do, they don't have to completely redo animations again with this etc. this makes it much more likely to be implemented if we push it hard enough. I'm finding it hard to understand your original idea, would you please mind rewording it for me?
  • Rukzadlithau
    Rukzadlithau
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great proposal.

But what’s shocking is all this wasted effort... and what should have happened is simply revert it to how it was, give Deep Fissure its Stun back ontop of Breach, make swarm a Dot execute - done, Magden would have been fine. But nope, they messed up almost every class unique playstyle Magden had.
    Edited by Rukzadlithau on December 14, 2018 11:29AM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buzo wrote: »
    Great proposal.

But what’s shocking is all this wasted effort... and what should have happened is simply revert it to how it was, give Deep Fissure its Stun back ontop of Breach, make swarm a Dot execute - done, Magden would have been fine. But nope, they messed up almost every class unique playstyle Magden had.

they don't like high burst damage and a stun. except if you're a dk, stamblade or using dawnbreaker of smiting XD
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭

we are trying to give people back something they loved along with cutting back work that ZoS needs to do, they don't have to completely redo animations again with this etc. this makes it much more likely to be implemented if we push it hard enough. I'm finding it hard to understand your original idea, would you please mind rewording it for me?

Envelop yourself in winter winds healing yourself for 15% of your max health instantly and an additional 2% health every 2 seconds for 10 seconds and launching an icy projectile at a target, stunning them for 3 seconds.The winds freeze enemies around you and the targeted enemy dealing 349 Frost Damage every 2 seconds for 10 seconds

New Effect:

Damage now scales off max magicka and spell damage, stuns and damages targeted enemy and enemies around target

Arctic Blast

Envelop yourself in winter winds healing yourself for 15% of your max health instantly and an additional 2% health every 2 seconds for 10 seconds and launching an icy projectile at a target, stunning them for 3 seconds.The targeted enemy is dealt 349 Frost Damage And 50% splash damage to nearby enemies

New Effect:

Damage now scales off max magicka and spell damage, stuns and damages targeted enemy and 50% splash damage to enemies around target

Hope this helps I am typing on a phone so that was all fun lol

It would make it a more offensive skill for mages but off course only works when target doesn’t have immunity so that was it’s not a spamming ability and then tanks would take polar winds for their heal and aoe utility

I just think having the stun and direct damage then a aoe damage is a bit much as you would be able to stun a target deal damage and deal at least the first tick of the aoe damage before they break free
    Edited by macsmooth on December 14, 2018 11:49AM
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buzo wrote: »
    Great proposal.

Those were the days: Ground Pound for Shalk -> Channel Soul Assault/Cast Ice Comet -> Shalk pop up and stun -> BOOM!
    I had a lot of fun with that in BG :p
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

New Effect:

Arctic Blast

Envelop yourself in winter winds healing yourself for 15% of your max health instantly and an additional 2% health every 2 seconds for 10 seconds and launching an icy projectile at a target, stunning them for 3 seconds.The targeted enemy is dealt 349 Frost Damage And 50% splash damage to nearby enemies

New Effect:

Damage now scales off max magicka and spell damage, stuns and damages targeted enemy and 50% splash damage to enemies around target

It would make it a more offensive skill for mages and then tanks would take polar winds for their heal and aoe utility

I just think having the stun and direct damage then a aoe damage is a bit much as you would be able to stun a target deal damage and deal at least the first tick of the aoe damage before they break free

Ah, now I understand. Yes. That works very well, but from what I see is that you believe that the initial projectile has damage on it. It does not from our original idea. but it was included with other suggestions I listed under "2". It would only do the first tick of damage from our original idea. Our original idea also makes arctic blast for DPS characters while polar is used by tanks. I like your idea but the 50% splash thing is a very shock damage-like effect. It almost seems like shock touch's thing. again, I like it. But we are catering towards the original wants from the magdens while also trying to keep work on the lower side for ZoS. still it would be much more valued than the current crap we see with blast.
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭

New Effect:

Arctic Blast

New Effect:

It would make it a more offensive skill for mages and then tanks would take polar winds for their heal and aoe utility

Ah, now I understand. Yes. That works very well, but from what I see is that you believe that the initial projectile has damage on it. It does not from our original idea. but it was included with other suggestions I listed under "2". It would only do the first tick of damage from our original idea. Our original idea also makes arctic blast for DPS characters while polar is used by tanks. I like your idea but the 50% splash thing is a very shock damage-like effect. It almost seems like shock touch's thing. again, I like it. But we are catering towards the original wants from the magdens while also trying to keep work on the lower side for ZoS. still it would be much more valued than the current crap we see with blast.

Yeah the splash damage was 50/50 on really being needed as it kind does make it like frags (I realised after typing it all) but yep single damage with stun and no aoe damage would make it not over powered to the point of sorcerers wanting a nerf (not that sorcerers get what they want at all, disclaimer my first toon and main crafter is a sorcerer, I have one of every race and class and enjoy them all in their own way)

• ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

New Effect:

Arctic Blast

New Effect:

Yeah the splash damage was 50/50 on really being needed as it kind does make it like frags (I realised after typing it all) but yep single damage with stun and no aoe damage would make it not over powered to the point of sorcerers wanting a nerf (not that sorcerers get what they want at all, disclaimer my first toon and main crafter is a sorcerer, I have one of every race and class and enjoy them all in their own way)

I don't mind what you like to play! i find it stupid that people judge others for liking something.
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭

New Effect:

Arctic Blast

New Effect:

I don't mind what you like to play! i find it stupid that people judge others for liking something.

I knew you wouldn’t mind but you do get those elitist that get offended when you make a joke and it always seem to be the sorcerers that get uptight about jokes although I am glad they never got that 1 second cast time to their shields just miffed that Zos listens to them and not any other class when they said it would kill the class
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

New Effect:

Arctic Blast

New Effect:

I knew you wouldn’t mind but you do get those elitist that get offended when you make a joke and it always seem to be the sorcerers that get uptight about jokes although I am glad they never got that 1 second cast time to their shields just miffed that Zos listens to them and not any other class when they said it would kill the class

That change was as stupid as the expedition nerfs.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, I don’t see the winter winds of change coming in regards to a real frost mage who isn’t just a snare bot.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is about the warden class stun. Not every warden is all about maximum frost damage. But these changes are beneficial to the skill so that people have reasons to use it on a magden in pvp. In reguards to snare bots. We can see that major expedition is in some shape going to make a come back next patch. This means that there are more options to counterplay snares. Frost Magden is most likely going to be in a worse spot next patch when it comes to pvp.
  • Volckodav
    Volckodav
    ✭✭✭
    +1 completely agree FrostDen will rise and...WINTER IS COMING!!!
    also, I would love to have the bird (racer) with a morph that is doing frost damage.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ice Bear approves:

giphy.gif
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    woo
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • Dr3sden
    Dr3sden
    ✭✭✭
    @Masel do you support the master plan? @Quantum_V team and dks have #staminawhip .... the master plan will be for us!
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would much prefer some instant single-target damage on Arctic Blast instead. It is named "Blast" after all. Could even add some splash damage at the point of impact.

I don't think Warden really needs any more pbaoe damage. JMO though.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    I would much prefer some instant single-target damage on Arctic Blast instead. It is named "Blast" after all. Could even add some splash damage at the point of impact.

Yeah I'd prefer a single target frost DoT attached to the stun morph tbh.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

This was all about giving back what people wanted. They miss the blast aoe.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But doesn't the new Polar Wind already solve that problem? Tanks and health-based PvP builds (who were, I'm guessing, the primary users of the old Arctic Blast) can use Polar Wind, and the new Arctic Blast can be the morph for ranged magicka builds w/ single target frost damage.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    But doesn't the new Polar Wind already solve that problem? Tanks and health-based PvP builds (who were, I'm guessing, the primary users of the old Arctic Blast) can use Polar Wind, and the new Arctic Blast can be the morph for ranged magicka builds w/ single target frost damage.

people wanted a Magicka scaling version of the blast AoE. If you're concerned about single target, we have an idea for completely reworking Crystallised slab that turns it into a fun and interesting single target proc skill.
  • JazzyNova
    JazzyNova
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cool idea! Ice mages could use some love and I dislike what has been done to Arctic Blast where it only stuns enemies and doesn't damage them. I actually enjoy playing a cryomancer and its a nice change from fire and lightning staves.