Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

So much to learn...

valusthecateater
valusthecateater
✭✭✭
Trying to keep up on the forums while learning the game is daunting. I ran across a thread talking about running "vMA". No clue what this is, but I assume veteran dungeon/end game of some sort. They discussed running "VO" (no clue what this is). Also, what are "monster sets"?

I appreciate any insight, and if there is a list of commonly used vernacular I would love to read it.
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monster sets are what you get from Vet dungeons. You get the helm from final boss and the shoulder from the undaunted chest.
    Options
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    @valusthecateater When there is a v next to something it means it's veteran, vMA means veteran maelstrom arena which is pretty much a solo trial or vHoF is veteran halls of fabrication. If there is an n next to it it means normal which is like easy difficulty. As far as VO that stands for vicious ophidian, some sets in the game are conveyed this way, like SPC is spell power cure and BSW is burning spell weave. You'll get it just takes time.
    Options
  • valusthecateater
    valusthecateater
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome. Thanks!
    Options
  • valusthecateater
    valusthecateater
    ✭✭✭

I am embarrassed to say I did not see this. Thanks!
    Options
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trying to keep up on the forums while learning the game is daunting. I ran across a thread talking about running "vMA". No clue what this is, but I assume veteran dungeon/end game of some sort. They discussed running "VO" (no clue what this is). Also, what are "monster sets"?

I appreciate any insight, and if there is a list of commonly used vernacular I would love to read it.

Monstersets are 2-piece-sets. They always consist of a helm and shoulder piece (both can be either heavy, medium or light). Every endboss of a vet dungeon drops a specific helm. To get the matching shoulder pieces you have to do daily pledges and use the keys you will get from returning the pledge to open one of the three chests.
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
    Options
  • valusthecateater
    valusthecateater
    ✭✭✭

Monstersets are 2-piece-sets. They always consist of a helm and shoulder piece (both can be either heavy, medium or light). Every endboss of a vet dungeon drops a specific helm. To get the matching shoulder pieces you have to do daily pledges and use the keys you will get from returning the pledge to open one of the three chests.

Daily pledge? I don't think I have come across this yet. Is this through a guild or someone else?
    Options
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The Undaunted. If you're in one of the original starting towns, Davon's Watch, Vulkhel Guard, or Daggerfall. At a tavern you'll find a group of rather rowdy braggarts drinking. At Davon's Watch, the tavern is the Fish Stink down by the docks. Talk to them and you'll find out about the Undaunted. Once you "join", you can go to the Undaunted camps outside the main towns; for Ebonheart Pact its outside Mournhold in Deshaan, and get daily pledges that will reward you with keys you can use to get the armor pieces.
    Options
  • valusthecateater
    valusthecateater
    ✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    The Undaunted. If you're in one of the original starting towns, Davon's Watch, Vulkhel Guard, or Daggerfall. At a tavern you'll find a group of rather rowdy braggarts drinking. At Davon's Watch, the tavern is the Fish Stink down by the docks. Talk to them and you'll find out about the Undaunted. Once you "join", you can go to the Undaunted camps outside the main towns; for Ebonheart Pact its outside Mournhold in Deshaan, and get daily pledges that will reward you with keys you can use to get the armor pieces.

Awesome. I will look into this tonight. Thanks!
    Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daily pledges are only available once your character reaches level 45, just in case you're below.
    Options
  • valusthecateater
    valusthecateater
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ I am below level 45, so that will have to wait. How in the world can I level up faster? I feel like I have been in the 30s forever, yet some people talk about leveling to 50 in a day...?
    Options
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say, first... Don't worry about leveling up quickly! Enjoy the game for what it is while you can... once you get to end game you'll get all jaded and grumpy like the rest of us and you'll lose the enjoyment of the simpler things :blush:

But, if you must know... people that say that can level up to 50 in a day, normally either pays for a carry or have a partner (friend or guildie) that can take them to Skyreach and repeatedly clear the starting area of the instance... it's very quick, and very efficient... but you cannot do it alone at low levels, not unless you have good gear and abilities and passives available to use, and that only comes in the late L40s or so.

You can gain a bit of speed while questing by ignoring the dialogs and just doing the task you're asked for... the quests give a good/big chunk of XP (not all of them, though) and if you're efficient you can manage to get a good advancement from them... but, as I said first... I don't recommend doing so on your first playthrough, you'll burn out and find the game boring in the end if you skip all the things that makes it interesting to play at the early levels.

Keep in mind that once you reach L50 the "story" doesn't end there... and you have to gain a lot of CPs *before* you can start enjoying end-game proper... so that realization could potentially burn you out, if you speedran over all the low levels, only to realize that you've only scratched the surface... so, my recommendation is to take it naturally, and take the levels as they come... you'll get there eventually, and most importantly, enjoying the road while you're doing it (I hope so, at least!)
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
    Options
  • valusthecateater
    valusthecateater
    ✭✭✭
    @ leeux

Thanks for the heads up. I don't want to power through necessarily, but my progression seems...stalled. I will just work through the DLC and then the main campaign, using my XP scrolls along the way.
    Options
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No worries!

If you're using the XP scrolls already, I'd suggest that you use them after finishing a bunch of quests and pop the scrolls just before you turn in the quests... that will get you the most bang for your bucks, so to speak :)

Also, after doing that... if you are able, with the rest of the XP scroll remaining, you can go and run some dolmens in a populated zone (Auridon, Alik'r Desert, Bangkorai... all of them seem to seldom have active "dolmen trains", at least normally.)

But not much of that! Or you'd risk frying your brain lol (speaking as one that has leveled several characters just doing dolmen trains... *ughhhh*)

Or, instead... if you're in an area and noticed a large concentration of mobs somewhere... go and grind them while the scroll effect is active, so you don't waste it... Also, you can do the Daily Random Normal dungeon using the group finder and that alone gives a TON of XP for completion... but you'd be at the mercy of the luck w.r.t. the group partners you get... it can be a smooth ride, or it can be a disaster :smile:

Edited by leeux on November 9, 2018 8:12PM
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @valusthecateater if you are below a level 45, you really don't have to worry about veteran content. That's not being elitist, that's being realistic. First off, you would be banging your head against the wall as your character probably does not have the stats necessary for survival. Second, even if you were to get through some of this stuff and get some of the recommended gear, it would be totally useless once you get to CP 160. And that goes for normal-level trials and dungeons. Yes, you can get XP, but the gear is only temporarily useful. Third, and this pertains specifically to monster sets and Undaunted keys, it would be a waste to use a key to get shoulders below CP 160. I guess you could make a sub-CP 160 helmet useful, but I don't see how that would be more effective than running a full set of overland gear.

I'd say continue to enjoy overland quests until you get to CP 160. There is no rush to get to veteran content. Its not going anywhere. And once you get to CP160+, you'll be doing this veteran content over and over and over again.
    Options
  • valusthecateater
    valusthecateater
    ✭✭✭
    @valusthecateater if you are below a level 45, you really don't have to worry about veteran content. That's not being elitist, that's being realistic. First off, you would be banging your head against the wall as your character probably does not have the stats necessary for survival. Second, even if you were to get through some of this stuff and get some of the recommended gear, it would be totally useless once you get to CP 160. And that goes for normal-level trials and dungeons. Yes, you can get XP, but the gear is only temporarily useful. Third, and this pertains specifically to monster sets and Undaunted keys, it would be a waste to use a key to get shoulders below CP 160. I guess you could make a sub-CP 160 helmet useful, but I don't see how that would be more effective than running a full set of overland gear.

I'd say continue to enjoy overland quests until you get to CP 160. There is no rush to get to veteran content. Its not going anywhere. And once you get to CP160+, you'll be doing this veteran content over and over and over again.

Thanks!
    Options
  • goldenflameslinger
    goldenflameslinger
    ✭✭✭
    I am slow AF when it comes to learning games but this one is worth it....stick it out and eventually it will all make sense.
    PS4 NA DC id: goldenflamesling
    Options
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is for anyone starting out; find a good guild. I'm in a guild that is new player friendly, doesn't mind questions, and has helpful crafters. Under level 50 you can play around with trying different crafted sets; Hundings, Morkuldin's, Julianos whatever might fit your playing style. Crafters can make you gear with the training trait to help out with leveling, and possibly let you not die quite so many times in the beginning. I always improve any gear I make for guildmates to blue, and if they want, add glyphs to max health/magic/stamina. I'll also make food and drinks for them; food especially can boost your stats just enough to survive a challenging encounter.
    Options
  • valusthecateater
    valusthecateater
    ✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    This is for anyone starting out; find a good guild. I'm in a guild that is new player friendly, doesn't mind questions, and has helpful crafters. Under level 50 you can play around with trying different crafted sets; Hundings, Morkuldin's, Julianos whatever might fit your playing style. Crafters can make you gear with the training trait to help out with leveling, and possibly let you not die quite so many times in the beginning. I always improve any gear I make for guildmates to blue, and if they want, add glyphs to max health/magic/stamina. I'll also make food and drinks for them; food especially can boost your stats just enough to survive a challenging encounter.

What guild are you in, Jkorr? This sounds like the type of guild I could use.
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @valusthecateater no problem. Wanted to clear one thing up. I've never run a vet dungeon before I was a CP 160. I am under the impression that gear you would get (i.e. drops, monster helmets) would be at the level you are currently at. I may be wrong, and the gear may drop at CP 160 level. If that is the case, you do not have to re-farm the gear. However, the catch is you can't wear/use it until you are a CP 160.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @valusthecateater no problem. Wanted to clear one thing up. I've never run a vet dungeon before I was a CP 160. I am under the impression that gear you would get (i.e. drops, monster helmets) would be at the level you are currently at. I may be wrong, and the gear may drop at CP 160 level. If that is the case, you do not have to re-farm the gear. However, the catch is you can't wear/use it until you are a CP 160.
    You are correct gear drop at your level, and yes its kind of bad form to run an vet dungeon below cp 160 even if an good player as you can not share gear. Also as gear of an cp150 tend to be bad.
    CP160 is then you start thinking of gear this includes future builds.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @zaria thanks for confirming that. I just remembered occasionally getting CP 160 gear when I was below that level and didn't want to give out bad advice. I can't see a reason to waste a key on sub-CP 160 monster shoulders and didn't want someone to make that mistake.

And I also agree it is bad form to run a vet dungeon if you are sub CP 160. Its one thing to do it with 3 friends, its another to queue up in group finder.
    Options
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually give out this advice ingame whenever someone asked for levelling tips and tricks.

Pre 50 is where you learn your class. Focus on getting the passives and skill set regardless of your playstyle (melee, ranged, magicka, stamina). Try out all the builds, use every weapon, every type of armor, use every skill. While you might have an idea of what your build is post cp160, trying out others means you get to fully understand how your class works. It also helps you out in the long term, if you ever want to change specs, you don't have to worry about the level of the weapons or at least you don't have to level it long. Pre50 is where you should be taking your time, enjoy the world and story.

While questing, always do this: 4Ds. Delves, Dolmens, (public) Dungeons and (group) Dungeons. If you pick off a WB or two, it would be good but it doesn't help much in the grand scheme of things while levelling and the gear you have would useless once you reach cp160. So you would que for a dungeon while questing and when it comes up, pop an xp scroll.

A tip I used was to grab everything while overland but only boss gear and all the gold while in group dungeons. (unless if you have eso+ which means you can grab everything as well. Destroy anything else (like those membranes or useless stuff). So, once the dungeon is done, you will be ported back to where you last were. You can go back to town, sell all the unwanted gear and repair. If you have started crafting, only decon green items and above. Sell all whites. Rinse and repeat.

Once you've reach 50, this is where you solidify your rotations. Usually by this stage, you would know what your preferred playstyle is. Since you have a set build, gear comes into play. You don't have to farm them but you can always try out sets that tickle your fancy.

Grab all the skyshards, do the main quest, guild quests and the faction quest. These gives you skill points which is crucial to allowing you have more options and help out with crafting as well without gimping your character.

All in all, I hope this helps! Just like @JKorr, Im in a guild that helps out new players as well so don't hesitate to ask around for help :smiley:
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
    Options