Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Putting a lid on Cyrodiil mayhem: Landmines.

Thormar
Thormar
✭✭✭✭

Landmines. :)
Why not let these usher in a new era in Cyrodiil, where chaos and confusion is but a distant memory?

The offensive aspect:
____>__Keep vendors sell landmines/spellmines.
____>__You can have only one landmine active at a time.
____>__A landmine comes with a detonation radius of X meters and is active for X minutes.
____>__A landmine is planted the same way a siege weapon is set up.
____>__If you're already in stealth, planting a landmine does not pull you out.
____>__You can't plant a mine if enemy players are already inside its killzone.

The defensive aspect:
____>__Keep vendors sell:
___________+__mine detection pots;
___________+__mine detonating kits (loud - acceptable in Cyro)
___________+__mine disarming kits - more expensive (stealth mode for IC sewers :))
____>__Mine detection pots will have a cooldown of 2 seconds and last for 2minutes.
____>__You'll chug a mine detect pot and its CD won't interfere with your next essence pot.
____>__A player will consume a detonating/disarming kit whereupon a countdown begins.
_______They'll rush to the center of the mine kill-zone and interact with the mine.
_______A mine detonate/disarm UI similar to a pick lock will come up. It's a race against time. Fail and lol.
____>__Stepping away from the kill-zone without interacting with the mine is instant death.
____>__A player detonating or disarming a landmine is immune from attack.
____>__If a detonation kit is used, once the "lock-pick" part is done,
_______there will be just a few seconds to clear the killzone before mine detonates.
____>__There will be a visual cue that a mine is about to detonate. Everyone needs to stay off the killzone.
____>__On the other hand, If a disarming kit is used, not even a click will be heard. Sewer stealth mode.
____>__Successfully detonating/disarming a landmine grants 5000 phys/spell resistance for X seconds.

So, should Cyro have landmines?
If yes, should they instantly kill or just deal a flat amount of damage, say 20k?

What if I go north? Disappear.
Would you come after me?
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said something similar before but instead of landmines use explosive snares. They already have similar in pve. While we're on that subject why do npcs get all the good things?
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have an objection to adding things to Cyrodiil, but I do not see these as very interesting as described.

1. they cannot one shot players. That would be clearly imbalanced. No actual kill zone.
    2. Being hidden kind of goes against siege type weapons
    3. There would have to be a limit per keep, and resources, and probably a pretty good limit.
    4. Having a completely different CD on a new potion is probably not going to happen. iirc all potions have the same CD, and share it.

It is interesting on the surface but I think there are some serious issues that would hold back any such idea. Keep thinking of great ideas.
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    I said something similar before but instead of landmines use explosive snares.
    Didn't think of that. Explosive snares would be great, actually better, since they are already partly implemented.

@idk
    Excellent points raised, and they show as it stands the idea needs much work.
    And with no revenue at the end of all that work, it's unreasonable to expect implementation.

Oh, and about the end of your comment, didn't think I would wallpaper a comment but I guess
    there's a first time for everything. :)

Would you come after me?
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're blowing things up, how about blowing up players who t-bag a dead body when they didn't get a hit in on the kill?

Corpse explodes, sending t-bagger 20 feet into the air, in pieces. I'd pay good money to see that...

On the subject of landmines, I think that would be interesting. Maybe not a one-shot kill, but major damage and a 3 second stun...
    PS4NA
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So basically you want to allow purchasable private gankers? You absolute madman :D

I'm on board with the idea, though I don't think the implementation should be so complex. Make them have a trigger radius with a 1s detonation time, giving observant players time to roll back out of the way. The mines would be invisible before triggering, and become visible once triggered prior to detonation. Any of the current detection abilities should also be able to detect mines.

Also, the damage should never be enough to kill a solo player. The damage should scale similar to proxy det, where it's ramped up based on the number of people in the blast radius. Large zergs and unobservant ball groups should be the intent, not a random solo player walking out in the woods. There would have to be some severe restrictions on where the mines can be placed and how many per area, but honestly I think this could be a very fun addition to Cyrodiil.

Edit: forgot to mention disarming. Again nothing too convoluted here, ZOS should just add to the existing Revealing Flare support ability. Make it so that the flare reveals enemy mines and increases their detonation time by 50%. Players may activate a synergy on the revealed mine prior to detonation in order to disarm it.
    Edited by Kingslayer513 on November 7, 2018 7:27PM
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thormar wrote: »
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    I said something similar before but instead of landmines use explosive snares.
    Didn't think of that. Explosive snares would be great, actually better, since they are already partly implemented.

@idk
    Excellent points raised, and they show as it stands the idea needs much work.
    And with no revenue at the end of all that work, it's unreasonable to expect implementation.

Oh, and about the end of your comment, didn't think I would wallpaper a comment but I guess
    there's a first time for everything. :)

Each could have a type depending on your character type.... magicka elemental: fire, ice, lightning stamina: physical, poison, disease. This would be very unique because it would reward organization and teamwork because some combos would be more efficient than others. They definitely shouldn't be invisible though but not so obvious that they are easily avoided either.
    Edited by usmguy1234 on November 7, 2018 7:26PM
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from novelty, I don't see how this item would add any value. I see only tedium as we would have even more kits and potions to quick slot.

No thank you.
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭

@Kingslayer513
    Clear, straight forward approach. Implementing a feature by cleverly utilizing mechanics already there. Smart.
    It's almost like all it needs is 5 minutes of code alteration and the feature's in by next maintenance. :)

zyk wrote: »
    No thank you.
    Fair enough. :)
    You are right, the idea in its original form is cumbersome.
    However, if cumbersome elements and tedium were stripped, as outlined by @Kingslayer513,
    would it stand a better chance?
    Of course I accept that having "a better chance" isn't to be taken as approval that implementation should follow.

Would you come after me?
  • An_An
    An_An
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. Please teach me BBcode formatting.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somehow this would just become a Zerg tool.
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So basically a new way for you to gank using any class? Noice.
    Why work hard to kill people? You don't need skill or gear, just some gold.
    Buy a mine, plant by a keep door, wait in stealth for someone to come in or out and execute spam them.
    What a great idea to decrease the ever-low skill requires to kill people in PvP and help annoying players away from cyrodiil for good!

Sarcasm aside though.
    PvP in this game needs many things.
    Better balancing, performance increase, and yes, new PvP content to keep players entertained.
    I don't see any mean of hidden damage or cc bomb that can be bought being a good addition though.
    It will only annoy players who get killed out of nowhere even more than now.

Plus, there are already mines in game. Sorc mines, mages guild rune.
    Now imagine those being stacked with an actual mine... Yeah no thanks.
    Characters: (PC NA)
    Ruerock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Ruepork the Magsorc | Magsorc __________________ Nirnshade | Magblade
    Pay To Warden | Magden _________________________ Moar Siege | Stamsorc
    Necrotic Orb | Magcro ____________________________ Bluerock | mDK
    Thelol Kadjit | Magplar ___________________________ Chalman Keep | Stamden
    Characters: (PC EU)
    Reurock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Refrigerator Boy | Magden _______________________ One Button AoE Stun| Magsorc
    Why So Spearious | Stamplar _____________________ Ree ee ee ee | StamDK
    Faction Locked | Magblade _______________________ Bae Blade| Stamblade
    You Shalk Not Pass | Stamden ____________________ Frag N Cheese | Magsorc

🔥 Nirnstorm.com - Top Tier PvP Builds & Guides 🔥

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch
    : Twitch.tv/Nirnstorm
    YouTube: YouTube.com/Nirnstorm
    Community Discord: https://discord.gg/APy9KK3

PvP Guild - Flame - [ Videos ]

Faction Lock contradicts the One-Tamriel concept.
    Please do NOT keep it in the game.
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭

@An_An
    Np. Here's a code sample.
    Currently the forum page background color is EDEDED.
    The code below uses EDEDED to make the formatting underscores transparent :smile:
    [color=#005cad][b]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit[/b][/color]
    [color=#EDEDED]____[/color][color=#ff0000][b]>[/b][/color][color=#EDEDED]__[/color]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit
    [color=#EDEDED]___________[/color][color=#005cad][b]+[/b][/color][color=#EDEDED]__[/color]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
    [color=#EDEDED]____[/color][color=#ff0000][b]>[/b][/color][color=#EDEDED]__[/color]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit

If you paste the above code in your comment box it yields:
    Of course you can use any other letter in place of > and +

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit
    ____>__Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit
    ___________+__Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
    ____>__Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit

Would you come after me?
  • An_An
    An_An
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing ! Thank you.

Btw awesome suggestion. Would love to see it implemented!
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    @An_An
    Oh and for multi-line bullet points:
    [color=#EDEDED]____[/color][color=#ff0000][b]22.[/b][/color][color=#EDEDED]__[/color]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit
    [color=#EDEDED]____________[/color][color=#005cad][b]+[/b][/color][color=#EDEDED]__[/color]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
    [color=#EDEDED]_____[/color][color=#ff0000][b]4.[/b][/color][color=#EDEDED]__[/color]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit
    [color=#EDEDED]_________[/color]Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    [color=#EDEDED]_________[/color]Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. 
    [color=#EDEDED]____[/color][color=#ff0000][b]11.[/b][/color][color=#EDEDED]__[/color]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit
    [color=#EDEDED]____________[/color][color=#005cad][b]>[/b][/color][color=#EDEDED]__[/color]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
    [color=#EDEDED]____________[/color][color=#005cad][b]+[/b][/color][color=#EDEDED]__[/color]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,

____22.__Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit
    ____________+__Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
    _____4.__Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit
    _________Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    _________Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
    ____11.__Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit
    ____________>__Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
    ____________+__Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,

Would you come after me?
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    This would be amazing. keep is getting hit by 100 pugs? place 5 mines inside the keep... now, a group that knows what they are doing would use flare to reveal them, but pugs.....

On a balancing note, this would be balanced, because its easy to counter, but it would get nerfed into uselessness FAST due to 95% of the cyro population getting killed by them because they just kept zerging.

also, if someone used it to gank on a front door of a keep.... good for them. im going on the wall and jumping off next time.
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    @NirnStorm
    The idea involves an offensive mechanic, and I have approached it from that pov.
    Naturally, anyone at the receiving end will see it differently.
    And it would be unreasonable of me if I were to suggest your pov is less valid.
    So, yes, you raise valid concerns.
    I also do agree, the mechanic as described doesn't require much in the way of skill.

Would you come after me?
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if they do increased area damage based on how many enemies are in the active radius at the time.
    Kinda like how Proxy Detonation works >:)
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    inb4 lorefriends show up and say: "this ruins my immersion"
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dotme wrote: »
    If we're blowing things up, how about blowing up players who t-bag a dead body when they didn't get a hit in on the kill?

Corpse explodes, sending t-bagger 20 feet into the air, in pieces. I'd pay good money to see that...

On the subject of landmines, I think that would be interesting. Maybe not a one-shot kill, but major damage and a 3 second stun...

dats not as funny as people who t-bag after zerging you down with atrocious numbers or who don't even know you. "I'm going to t-bag you because you tried to kill me and u should learn some respect from now, I'm a pro zerg surfer".
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX96 wrote: »
    inb4 lorefriends show up and say: "this ruins my immersion"

It wouldn't be immersion ruining... such mechanics especially snares exist in other elder scrolls games. Though they might be utilized by npcs they do exist.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

• Eclipse0990
    Eclipse0990
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting concept. This might take some work to refine the idea and implement though.

In the meantime, we could probably get a soul skill which can be triggered and be up for x seconds. If you are killed in that x seconds, your corpse explodes after some y seconds which does some damage to the enemies inside the radius as well as snares them for a few seconds. This could be used to replace the similar soul skill line passive and the corpse can have a visual indicator to give the enemies some room to avoid it.

This would make things interesting for the ball groups who run inside keeps and AoE bomb the single players.
    Raid leader for Undead Nuns (DC-EU-KaalWhaterveritscallednowdays)
  • Tirps
    Tirps
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I support this idea. But there is just one problem with it, how im supposed to get to other side of bridges if they are swarmed with land mines? :D
    cp1k+ ( ´•౪•`)
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for new ideas to shake up pvp, but this idea is completely broken and unworkable.

For starters, it's insane to have an instant-kill with no telegraph. Person riding their horse just gets blown up with no warning or explanation. Just says "landmine detonation" on their recap. Forcing players to drink a special potion every 2 minutes is not a solution because it's tedious and annoying for a player to click a button every 2 minutes or risk being instagibbed. Even if it just deals damage and isn't an instakill, it's still the same problem because gankers are just going to camp their mines and and easily finish people off.

There's also no way to clear a mine that's being defended, anyone who attempts to clear mines off of a choke point is just going to die to meatbags while they perform the lockpocking minigame.

The whole system is heinously complex and will be confusing to new players.

Item quickslots are going to pressured because now every player will need mine detect pots and mine detonation kits to not constantly die. And then everyone has to slot mines as well because they're hugely overpowered.

And the most damning thing of all is that mines are totally unnecessary since there is already incredibly powerful (perhaps overly powerful) area denial tools in the form of catapults.

I don't like being overly negative but I only see problems here. Maybe land mines could work if the concept was highly simplified and if the damage was lowered to an amount that was punishing without being lethal.
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like being overly negative
    You are not being overly negative, @Jimmy_The_Fixer. You are raising your concerns - sharing your point of view.
    Suggesting ways to fix stuff, on a post tagged as "Discussion" and so inviting any and all to do just that: share their views.
    Be they for or against. Your input is welcome.
    Just because it highlights flaws in the idea doesn't make it inconvenient or less valid. :)
    I am for the idea, but that doesn't make my pov more valid than yours. :)
    Maybe land mines could work if the concept was highly simplified and if the damage was lowered to an amount that was punishing without being lethal.
    In regards to your above suggested changes, some guy above, can't quite recall who, left the following reply.
    zyk wrote: »
    No thank you.
    Fair enough. :)
    You are right, the idea in its original form is cumbersome.
    However, if cumbersome elements and tedium were stripped, as outlined by @Kingslayer513,
    would it stand a better chance?
    Of course I accept that having "a better chance" isn't to be taken as approval that implementation should follow.

Would you come after me?