The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Linking Existing ESO Account to Steam

UrsusPrimos
UrsusPrimos
Soul Shriven
So my girlfriend bought ESO a couple months ago so we could play together, but unlike me, she bought it through the ESO site to avoid the login issues that were plaguing Steam users. I mentioned buying her a Steam gift card and she was wondering about spending it on a months subscription for the game. Since I had bought the game through Steam in the first place, I wasn't sure how linking accounts worked, if it's even possible.

According to the support page here: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36517/~/can-i-link-my-existing-elder-scrolls-online-account-to-my-steam-account?, she can't link the account unless she buys another copy on Steam. Is that how it really works? If she buys another copy through Steam, will she have to uninstall the version she has now and reinstall through Steam? And if she does, will she still have all the content she has from the TESO Collection?

I'm a little confused on the subject. Any help is appreciated.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before asking about the mechanics of linking Steam ... you and your girlfriend ought to really think about whether she SHOULD be on Steam.

As you mentioned, the summer of 2018 was the low point of Steam as a distribution platform for ESO.

If you both decide to go through with it, yes, you do need another copy of the game to link it to Steam.

However, thankfully, she doesn't lose game progress in the process.

The support page link is pretty straightforward. Since the game was bought only a couple of months ago, she likely wouldn't need a reinstall ... but you can check the version of the game on her login screen.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Taleof2Cities.

With the recent experience Steam users have had, and pretty extreme it was, it does not make sense to link an ESO game to Steam nor purchase it via Steam. I fail to see the benefit of adding a second layer of problems when one does not need to.

Of course it is your choice and of course if one cannot log in via Steam the other may not be wanting to play much.
  • UrsusPrimos
    UrsusPrimos
    Soul Shriven
    Ok, that's what I figured but wanted some other opinions. Thanks for the help guys, I'll discuss it with her.