The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Has anyone tested the new roll dodge mechanic?

hero2zer0
hero2zer0
✭✭✭
Projectiles can now only be evaded if the Roll Dodge occurs within one second prior to their impact.

This seems like a very drastic change, as previously you could just roll a short time before being hit, and avoid projectiles, now you will need to predict when about to get sniped/fragged etc?
I haven’t gotten on pts to test this, but it looks like this mechanic will either be spammed, or not used at all.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if this will have a huge impact, but i'd say no. This change should only be noticeable for projectiles, and only those that have longer than one-second flight time. Which basically means, very long range snipes. Even frags are usually fired at shorter ranges (which means sub-1s flight time). We'll see.
  • coplannb16_ESO
    coplannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how lag will effect this. is the 1 second client side or server side? dunno, but I think, with the state of ESOs performance, that this will be a nightmare.
    max level: mDK, stamBlade, stamSorc, magPlar, mDen, stamDen, magBlade, stamCro
    ESO+
    # of mules: 4 (FULL)
    maxed bank: FULL -_-
    Stop the grind! Get rid of stupid events and daily-quest gallore. Get rid of "have a chance of 1 in a million to get a piece of 1 in 30 to get a stupid motif or pet... wtf..."
    And at this point just remove all classes and have everyone choose their set of skills. then balance accordingly to skills always used vs. skills never used.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All it really changes is basically that projectiles fired from high ranges are no longer automatically dodged even if the dodgeroll ended or if a projectile was fired at the end of a dodgeroll.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• hero2zer0
    hero2zer0
    ✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    All it really changes is basically that projectiles fired from high ranges are no longer automatically dodged even if the dodgeroll ended or if a projectile was fired at the end of a dodgeroll.

So with murkmire, if I roll after a projectile has been fired, but before it hits, will it be dodged as it is now?
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hero2zer0 wrote: »

So with murkmire, if I roll after a projectile has been fired, but before it hits, will it be dodged as it is now?

If you time your roll correctly, then yes.

Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • hero2zer0
    hero2zer0
    ✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »

I am pretty bad, how do Itime it correctly then? :smile:
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »

I am pretty bad, how do Itime it correctly then? :smile:

Well - you see the projectile and roll just before it hits. As has been pointed out, that’s only a change for projectiles with a longer travel time (and the change does make sense, it’s a bit odd you could dodge a projectile although your roll already has completed).
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
  • hero2zer0
    hero2zer0
    ✭✭✭
    So de facto this change just shortens the dodge window after rolling? Sounds okay I guess...certainly better than it not being not useable it all!
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an interesting point.

Let's say a dodge roll takes one second to perform (from the point one pushes the roll button to the point when the roll animation finishes).

Let's say an attacker fires frag at a point when there is still 0.5 seconds remaining on the roll animation. The frag takes 0.6 seconds to reach the target, making contact 0.1 seconds after the roll completed.

Will the frag hit, or be dodged?

I'd say the answer depends on the interpretation of the wording "Roll dodge occurs" used in the patch note.

If we assume it means "when the roll button was pressed", then the frag will hit, because the impact happens 1.1 seconds after the roll button was pressed.

But if we assume it means "while dodge is in progress", then the frag will miss, because the impact happened 0.1 seconds after roll dodge completed (the activity of roll dodging still "occured" one second prior to the impact).

Curious curious :)
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to my tests, anything (both melee and ranged) hits if timed at the tail end of animation. The lingering dodge bonus is removed. Also, now there is a very small but substantial window of vulnerability between dodges, i.e. 100% I-Frames no longer guaranteed by spamming dodge.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    According to my tests, anything (both melee and ranged) hits if timed at the tail end of animation. The lingering dodge bonus is removed. Also, now there is a very small but substantial window of vulnerability between dodges, i.e. 100% I-Frames no longer guaranteed by spamming dodge.

That settles it then - "roll dodge occurs" means "when roll dodge button was pressed", not "while roll animation is happening".
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thats was here before the patch. This patch strictly changes the "dodge when someone is in middle of snipe cast time and simply avoid the hit that will land in 2s"
    Edited by SodanTok on October 18, 2018 12:59PM
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Friday a few weeks ago I tested spell miss rates on my mag Sorc on live. Out of roughly 670 spells cast about 75 percent were misses/dodged due to stealth or dodge mechanic. That is binary damage mitigation of 100 percent 75 percent of the time and the number would obviously increase if numbers were calculated based upon the spells that actually landed.

On test server with the new dodge changes, roughly 80 percent of my spells landed. This level of change is dramatic and I think ranged classes will see a huge upswing in that department with this patch. That being said, the dodge and major evasion changes will impact nightblades the most out of any class and I think it will compel many to go straight stealthier/ganker build to compensate as their survivability has just taken a dramatic hit. Add in the speed changes and at least in the quid pro quo for dps delivery we may be approaching something called balance.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Illuvatarr wrote: »
    A Friday a few weeks ago I tested spell miss rates on my mag Sorc on live. Out of roughly 670 spells cast about 75 percent were misses/dodged due to stealth or dodge mechanic. That is binary damage mitigation of 100 percent 75 percent of the time and the number would obviously increase if numbers were calculated based upon the spells that actually landed.

On test server with the new dodge changes, roughly 80 percent of my spells landed. This level of change is dramatic and I think ranged classes will see a huge upswing in that department with this patch. That being said, the dodge and major evasion changes will impact nightblades the most out of any class and I think it will compel many to go straight stealthier/ganker build to compensate as their survivability has just taken a dramatic hit. Add in the speed changes and at least in the quid pro quo for dps delivery we may be approaching something called balance.

Interesting.

The live figures are very telling and probably pretty close to where my 'gut feel' would put it, if not tempered by a more logical 'cant be that high' thought.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Biro123

I’d say these values will adjust once everyone has the new dodge windows down. It’s a matter of days I guess.
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This change really helps wardens in pvp who use the bird spammable. Previously, someone could use 1 dodgeroll to dodge 2 birds if you casted it at them while they were still dodge rolling. Now if they dodge the first one, and you cast a second while they are rolling it will hit them.
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Tımë Ðâzzlër - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Voriak Solkyn: "If you throw skulls at people, this is a buff"
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Illuvatarr wrote: »

Interesting.

The live figures are very telling and probably pretty close to where my 'gut feel' would put it, if not tempered by a more logical 'cant be that high' thought.

Well it may be skewed some by the sheer number of heavy armor stam toons we were fighting who were constantly dodge rolling/stealthing....passive dodge played a roll as well. They basically gutted mage Sorc dps with buggy hits on both frags and fury so that may have played a role as well. Numbers are what I parsed however.
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big buff they could give to mag sorcs to make crystal blast (not shards) more effective in pvp to avoid this silliness is make it harder to dodge in the actual game mechanics and make it unreflectable. The cast time requirement without instant cast option is huge and the aoe component/stun, even though both are great, does not compensate for it during the heat/speed of open pvp.
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭

And for this reason, it’s a good change.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, so practically projectiles like seen here (some of them atleast) will now land & hit the target:
    https://youtu.be/IOn-Nyf2APE
    October, last year

...but the change isn't as drastic as advertised:
    https://youtu.be/OobskWU_Xk0
    PTS 4.2.0
    Edited by DDuke on October 18, 2018 7:03PM
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it to be a nerf to the overall "virtual" dodge window - you're going to get hit by more attacks now because before you dodged attacks that started while you were rolling and now you won't dodge those. I tested it, but in blackrose prison so it's hard to compare since obv that content is not available on live.

IMO some monsters are going to be harder to dodge. Think about various heavy attacks you dodge - voriak's skull, the bosmer draining shot in vDSA, adds in indrik fight in vMoS, bone colossus in Fang lair HM. They all have vastly different cast times, and even the same monster might have inconsistent cast times - sometimes voriak's skull comes at me right away, other times it takes forever. Bone colossus waves his hands around for 10s while in the indrik fight those guys are fast! It's gonna make it harder to dodge those that have a long cast time, cause a premature dodge will F you.

However, if they fix the issue known as "zaan's delight" - roll out of poison but still die because the roll hasn't finished - then I will be happy.
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these changes are going to really hurt medium armor players open world. I'm not too sure why dodge roll was nerfed when ZOS wants to encourage using medium / light armor.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good. I hated the lingering dodge bonus. It made dodge roll op. Now you must actively dodge instead of relying on a game mechanic. I love it.

Time to land more executes!

P.s. medium armor nb main here.
    Edited by mr_wazzabi on October 19, 2018 10:16AM
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP