The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What does "Tab Targeting" do?

• Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its not just visual it actually makes you target that boss with all single target abilities through other bosses/ads, only aor hits other stuff.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometime auto aim worked, it don't anymore making it pretty useless.
    Then it worked all your targeted attack would hit enemy even if 10-15 degree off.
    As it stopped working for good before Morrowind its totally useless.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Then it worked all your targeted attack would hit enemy even if 10-15 degree off.

Yeah it's pretty garbage. I can tab target an NPC or player, have my camera on them and it'll still aim for something else away from them. @ZOS_RobGarrett @ZOS_Wrobel pls fix
  • adeptusminor
    adeptusminor
    ✭✭✭✭
    It constantly targets the wrong thing, and even when the correct thing is targeted makes no difference and your light attacks will fly out of your staff 180 degrees from where you are facing.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah it's pretty garbage. I can tab target an NPC or player, have my camera on them and it'll still aim for something else away from them. @ZOS_RobGarrett @ZOS_Wrobel pls fix

@bottleofsyrup

It is fixed. In the lead up to the game launching they referred to it as preferred target. It is not a target lock.
    We are expected to actively target what we want to hit.

The games currently under development have gone to a similar active targeting system as we have in ESO.

• adeptusminor
    adeptusminor
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

@bottleofsyrup

It is fixed. In the lead up to the game launching they referred to it as preferred target. It is not a target lock.
    We are expected to actively target what we want to hit.

The games currently under development have gone to a similar active targeting system as we have in ESO.

I wouldn't say it's fixed. Ever try DPSing vAS+1/2? The main boss Olms is like a black hole for light attacks, doesn't matter if you don't have him targeted or even aiming in his general direction, your light attacks will still magically be pulled towards him.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    GreenHere wrote: »
    Big thanks to:

@jypcy
    @idk
    @Recremen
    @RaddlemanNumber7
    @Royaji
    @Thogard
    @Henryc1t807

for the particularly illuminating posts! Your contributions helped me understand it a bit better, and gave me something more specific to look for in my testing. Thanks to all who contributed to the thread!

After reading what's been added to the discussion I went back and did some more, slightly less casual, testing with the targeting feature. What I've found was best described by @jypcy, and seems pretty accurate. I've copied it below.

It's a slight and vague enhancement of the standard targeting. You can hit a target behind another, but only sometimes. Often you'll still hit whatever's closest, but it does widen the window of opportunity a bit on your preferred target. It seems to work better once in-combat, vs before opening combat. The clearest difference I could see is being able to target one enemy when others were super close together. Further apart, it's harder to notice the benefits.

jypcy wrote: »
    Yeah, as others have stated, it prioritizes aiming on the tabbed target but doesn’t make your aim exclusive to that target. If you put something else in your sights, you can still attack that instead. But if your tabbed target is in your line of sight without any significant obstructions (such as another target between you and it), your single target abilities prioritize their aim at the tabbed target.

A comparison to targetting without the tab might help distinguish its function: if not tab targeted, your aim is focused at pretty much whatever is most centered and closest in your view. If something else wiggles a bit so that it momentarily is closer and more center than your intended target, your abilities will start hitting that until it moves. With tab targetting, you can continue hitting your intended target even if something else slightly obstructs it. If something more significantly obstructs it (and this is vague, but unfortunately I can’t give you more concrete criteria), then you’ll have to adjust your aim, else your attacks will hit the intervening target even though you have something else tabbed.

At least, that’s been my experience with it from my testing in various scenarios.

Again, thank you all. I'm going to actually try making use of this feature now that I understand it a bit better. Especially in PvP, where I really need to "git gud" & "L2P" already. Thanks for the hint, @Royaji!

Royaji wrote: »
    It does help to focus your target in a big stack of adds. Useful for off-tanks and all kinds of "interrupters". Also good for fights where you need to quickly focus one add in a group. It's not a panacea to solve all your targeting problems but it helps.

Also very useful in PvP since it is a literal in-game wallhack. Try it.

@GreenHere if you have two people stand still, one in front of the other, you can tab target between them and whoever is tab targeted will get hit.

Let’s say you want the guy in the back. You mouse over both of them, then tab target the guy in the back, and voila your attacks will hit him.

HOWEVER if the person in the front were to walk off so that he was no longer in danger of being targetted, and then wander back in and block the reticle again, then your next attack would go to him. This is because he is “new” from a targetting purpose and has not been tabbed past - you gotta tab past him AGAIN.

It’s annoying with how much people move in cyrodil.

Nerf being able to move in Cyrodiil! Stationary targets are easier to hit. As long as they don't fight back. ;P
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes you feel like you're back in 2004.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PathwayM wrote: »
    It depends on the skill you cast. If it's a single target ability like crushing shock for example it will often home in on the targeted player.

There's a glitch being fixed with Mirkmire where Mage's Wrath can hit someone without a line of sight, if they're tab targeted. I think there may be some other abilities that let you do this as well.

Also, some ground based AoEs will pass through walls, so you can hit someone behind cover with a blockade. Tab targeting doesn't technically help with this, but you know, a little.
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a high range dps class, target locking players inside cyrodiil is probably the best function ZoS gave me. :trollface:
  • Henryc1t807
    Henryc1t807
    ✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    In my experience, it's a big buggy and a bit broken. Like you said, when there is an enemy between the enemy I have tab targeted, I will hit the enemy closest. However, sometimes if I have targeted a boss and I go to attack an add. My attacks will travel to the boss even though he isn't in my line of sight.

Interesting! Any specific examples you could name, that I might test them? Or just bosses with adds in general milling around in the fight?

Mostly in trials such as vAA and vAS. More noticeable in vAA cause you go to fight a reflection and end up hitting the boss
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    X-ray vision and a huge character highlight. It has its uses but it's not like your traditional MMO target lock-on because It doesn't prioritize targets or it's just not working.
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"