The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Can We Bring Back Softcaps?

• Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Explain to me what a soft cap is @Valrien

One of the many two-faced elements of the game's design, but one which players easily saw through and which was dropped long ago.

To please players who want substantial racial bonuses, the game had (and still has) significant racial bonuses.

To please players who prefer race to just be cosmetic, the game had soft caps which effectively eliminated the racial bonuses with diminishing returns beyond the cap.

Personally I'd rather just see racial bonuses scrapped than soft caps which sneakily nerf racial bonuses.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frostz417 wrote: »
    One Tamriel is what made the game better, why take steps back to make the game worse.

One tamriel had nothing to do with soft caps or heavy changes to game mechanics. It was more of a quality of life improvements update and heavy itemization changes update. When One Tamriel was released all of mentioned base game features like soft caps etc were long gone because it was Tamriel Unlimited that changed them. OP is talking more about reverting/changing Tamriel Unlimited changes rather then One Tamriel ones.
    Edited by Juhasow on October 17, 2018 8:58AM
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about CPs but soft caps would handle most of the imbalance issues we have today. Oh darn... I miss them so much... Hybrid builds viable once again! I miss my bow/resto NB badly :(
    If kept at reasonable level soft caps alone would really improve game quality and balance. No more META builds as there would be more paths to reach top stats. This was perfect boundary that made all the balancing easier...
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least if the soft caps were brought back, I could use what's left of what used to be the fun skills and not feel like a disappointment for using them.

Edit: Or they can just add servers that are running the version of the game that had soft caps. I'd be fine with that too.
    Edited by RaptorRodeoGod on October 17, 2018 9:36AM
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At least if the soft caps were brought back, I could use what's left of what used to be the fun skills and not feel like a disappointment for using them.

Edit: Or they can just add servers that are running the version of the game that had soft caps. I'd be fine with that too.

1.0-1.5 servers when, ZOS?
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH, I'd rather a more dynamic solution be found that matches the current game rather than a revert to softcaps.

More varied skill coefficients (i.e. shields and max magicka vs most abilities and spell damage) would be one way to go about that, though it would be terribly unfriendly to new players.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote no
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    Valrien wrote: »

Basically, back in the glory days of ESO

OP is interested in going back to when stamina builds were restricted to only weapon skills and we had to level up every character twice to be at the end game. The second leveling process (vet ranks) was twice as much effort as the first. Really poor design.

Balance was also just as bad as it is today. Some seem to forget this or look at things with rose colored glasses.

I think a lot of people assume that the OP wants a full reversal to prior to One Tam,

Your post confused be because of this first sentence. It seems as though you thought I did not read the OP or do not know the history of this game very well.

Considering 1T came well after soft caps were removed, about 2 years after, I was not confused.

Further, with the rest of your post it seemed you are reading a lot into the OP that quite frankly is not there. OP clearly did not state or imply anything about the power creed you eluded to. OP specifically mentioned choice as though soft caps permitted more choice.
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So after reading this thread, I think it would be a bad idea. @Valrien
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In areas like PVP I wouldn't mind a soft cap no CP campaign at least, just to try out a new balance design.
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »
    Valrien wrote: »

Basically, back in the glory days of ESO

OP is interested in going back to when stamina builds were restricted to only weapon skills and we had to level up every character twice to be at the end game. The second leveling process (vet ranks) was twice as much effort as the first. Really poor design.

Balance was also just as bad as it is today. Some seem to forget this or look at things with rose colored glasses.

I think a lot of people assume that the OP wants a full reversal to prior to One Tam,

Your post confused be because of this first sentence. It seems as though you thought I did not read the OP or do not know the history of this game very well.

Considering 1T came well after soft caps were removed, about 2 years after, I was not confused.

Further, with the rest of your post it seemed you are reading a lot into the OP that quite frankly is not there. OP clearly did not state or imply anything about the power creed you eluded to. OP specifically mentioned choice as though soft caps permitted more choice.

I mean, they do. Hybrid builds and more useable morphs anyone?
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just one vote, no thank you.