Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can We Bring Back Softcaps?

Valrien
Valrien
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
And while we're at it, remove CP and get rid of these stamina morphs on class skills so people have more choices (since there are soft caps) again?
Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Please :(
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Explain to me what a soft cap is @Valrien
  • Fishoscandi
    Fishoscandi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »
    And while we're at it, remove CP and get rid of these stamina morphs on class skills so people have more choices (since there are soft caps) again?

Wouldn't getting rid of stamina morphs on class skills mean less choices?
    Edited by Fishoscandi on October 16, 2018 7:29PM
    Fishoscandi - Orc NB
    Cookie of Dough - Dunmer Templar
    Smells Like Tree Spirit - Bosmer Sorc

EU PC

• Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Basically, back in the glory days of ESO, after a certain point stats had diminishing returns.

E.g.,. You could stack 4k magicka, but after 4k your bonuses increases your Max magicka pool by less.

Essentially this capped your magicka because it was more profitable to stack other things after that point.

It basically balanced out stats more so you don't have the 7k weapon damage meme builds we have today
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not when we have soft caps and no CP since everyone can make use of the morphs without needing to dip too hard into your stamina pool (since you still need that for weapon skills and dodging)
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    first iteration of the game. all stats were capped and could be maxed out, so everyone had the same pools (2k mag, 2k stam, 2,3k health iirr, all 3 regens maxed; all numbers were 10 times lower than now)
    back than the game was called "elder staves online" and "meta" was permablocking (stam regen while blocking \o/) impulsespam. stamina morphs did not exist.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not when we have soft caps and no CP since everyone can make use of the morphs without needing to dip too hard into your stamina pool (since you still need that for weapon skills and dodging)

To elaborate on this, the game used to be set up that all class skills were magicka skills and all weapon skills (barring staves) and fighters guild skills were stamina skills. Weapon damage used to be different too iirc (I believe it affected all weapon skills, light heavy and medium attacks, etc etc).

In essence, because of the soft caps and lack of damage-type-enhancing CP that were in place, builds were a bit more flexible and no one could just mindlessly stack massive amounts of damage stat and expect to face roll everything
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ya, resto staff skills scaled with weapon damage.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    eso_nya wrote: »

I'm having a hard time remembering. Didn't Destro too or am I stupid?
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_nya wrote: »

I'm having a hard time remembering. Didn't Destro too or am I stupid?

It did because, according to them, it is technically a weapon so it made sense to do it that way
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the game relies to heavily on CP now for that to ever come back. Pve is mainly reliant on it. Vet trials would be near impossible with softcaps.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the game relies to heavily on CP now for that to ever come back. Pve is mainly reliant on it. Vet trials would be near impossible with softcaps.

I'm not saying the game wouldn't need rebalancing, but there wouldn't be near as many variables so it would overall be better for the game.

They can and should, in essence, revert back to 1.0-1.5
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Basically, back in the glory days of ESO[...]
    ESO was one of the worst MMOs before TamOne.
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol
    Just
    Lol
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    id kill squirrels for this...yes I regret ever being in favor for them...it just didn't worked the way I hoped...just like CP...
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »

Not really. One Tamriel also kinda messed up a fair amount of story continuity.
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One Tamriel is what made the game better, why take steps back to make the game worse.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It sound's like you're wanting to just rewind time, which is a bit much and in all honesty not a very good idea.

I'm with you on diminishing returns and probably stamina morphs after that, but not getting rid of CP. CP could use some tweaking for sure, but I don't think dumping it is the right way to go. Diminishing returns might need a little rethinking as well rather than just bringing back the old system as it was. Getting rid of stamina morphs would only be good after diminishing returns were put back in. Without them, stamina morphs are a requirement because you pretty much have to just put everything into one stat right now, which would leave stamina DPS with nothing but weapon skills.
    Edited by Glurin on October 16, 2018 11:23PM
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »

This. Do you not realize how terrible this game was in the beginning?

ESO has come a long way since its inception. Reverting to how it was in the beginning would be financial suicide.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    is this what it looks like when old people talk about 'the good ol days'?
  • Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The old days:
    Garbage game = lots of fun

These days:
    Garbage game = no fun
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Let's trade the new meta for the old meta...
  • Shadow_Viper_vX
    Shadow_Viper_vX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is literally no valid reason to do this.
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This thread idea is almost as bad as the “jumping should cost stamina” idea. Lol
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is literally no valid reason to do this.

Well, CP and lack of soft caps rekt balance so that could be a valid reason lol
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Basically, back in the glory days of ESO

OP is interested in going back to when stamina builds were restricted to only weapon skills and we had to level up every character twice to be at the end game. The second leveling process (vet ranks) was twice as much effort as the first. Really poor design.

Balance was also just as bad as it is today. Some seem to forget this or look at things with rose colored glasses.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious why the OP likes the idea of soft caps? Is it for a specific play imbalance issue?
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I made a suggestion that for CP once you raised a perk high enough it starts negatively affecting an opposing stat each increase.

Like how in guild wars a +3 attribute rune would subtract health.
    https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Rune_of_Air_Magic
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭

Same with removing CP. Too much of our power has been taken and transferred into CP, that ship has sailed I think.

Besides, do we trust the current dev team to implement such a big change in a way that would actually feel like an improvement? I do not.
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Basically, back in the glory days of ESO

OP is interested in going back to when stamina builds were restricted to only weapon skills and we had to level up every character twice to be at the end game. The second leveling process (vet ranks) was twice as much effort as the first. Really poor design.

Balance was also just as bad as it is today. Some seem to forget this or look at things with rose colored glasses.

I think a lot of people assume that the OP wants a full reversal to prior to One Tam, but I don't think that is really what they are saying at all.

People *** and whine about getting too strong in this game and then whine more when ZOS nerfs everyone. People are whining that CP is the root cause. There is only one way to fix this and it is bringing back soft and hard caps.

It means there is an actual end point to how far you can go with damage, and other stats before they become useless to spend points in any longer. It would force people to spend more CP points in other areas, sooner than they already do.
    It would mean that ZOS can state, no matter what you do with your character the max damage you can do is say 45k. Which means end game elitist meta build players can't blow through content like they used too, or at least not as fast as they used too. 50k,60k, 70k parses will no longer exist.

If done correctly, it could mean viable hybrid builds may be able to make a return. It means that for some players, they can have fun with different armour sets that aren't meta, and may be able to still complete end game content. It means the return of diversity to this game.

If ZOS keeps the caps within reasonable levels within damage ranges that we see today, then things are not going to be any worse than they are now for the average player. Heck, lower than average players may even get a hand up.

The unfortunate thing about One Tamriel, is the fact that any new overworld content comes out at the same level as the base game content and therefore doesn't add any additional challenge, which makes the Power Creep from CP more noticeable and much less enjoyable. Hence the complaining about it and then the constant rebalancing. New Trials and Dungeons tend to be where the challenge is taken, however, many players are locked out of that content by other players because they don't meet the other's standards.

At least when we had the soft and hard caps, we had much greater diversity in this game that actually allowed us to build our characters the way we wanted to, using armor or skills that weren't meta while still being able to do the content.
    Far too many characters to list any more.