Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Ways to make gold for beginners

amber8303
amber8303
Soul Shriven
I am looking for ways to make some gold. I’m still a noob and I just reached champion level in the game but my wallet sucks lol. Any advice would be great.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Do anchors, decon the gear, sell the mats and tempers. Pick flowers to sell; some go for over a hundred gold each. Farm mats, refine and sell tempers, or sell raw mats for buyers to decon for a chance of getting tempers. Fish; sell the whole fish or fillet for a chance of perfect roe. At the present time, farm furnishing mats like mundane runes and other furniture "ingredients". If you have a crafter, do master writs and buy items with vouchers to resell. Gilding wax, for instance.

Easiest if you have a guild with a trader, but people sell in zone chat as well.
  • Carl-lan
    Carl-lan
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few things I do:

Join trade guild. Sell things like motifs, gold and raw crafting materials, set items with value, jewlery... - anything that sells for a few thousand gold is worth it.

Do daily crafting writs.

Do fighters guild and mages guild dailies and sell rewards.

Steal items and sell them.

Honestly just pick up and sell everything you don’t need or don’t deconstruct to merchants. You’ll earn a bit just by doing daily quests and pledges and selling items you don’t need.
  • amber8303
    amber8303
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you. I’ve been playing since January and only have about 25000 in gold.
  • amber8303
    amber8303
    Soul Shriven
    I’m not sure what crafting mats is either.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go find some quiet place and loot all the owned containers. Most of Orsinium is wide open for this, the ships in daggerfall and the cities in Summerset are just a few. Invest one point in the Fencing passive and you can quickly pull 8K to 15K each day per character. By quickly I mean 15 to 20 minutes.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daily writs and hirelings will make you a millionaire in no time.

Sell more than you spend. Simples
  • Red_Nine
    Red_Nine
    ✭✭✭
    Get the Master Merchant and Tamriel Trade Center add-ons and learn how to use them. Master merchant tells you what items have sold for (in the guilds you are a member of), while TTC tells you what people are listing items for in guild traders across Tamriel.

• Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a question that pops up on these forums like clockwork. It has been asked several times in the past, and will no doubt be asked again in the future. Try searching for stuff relating to "earning gold" and you should find several old threads about it.

And while the question may take several forms, the answer is always the same - spend less than you earn. But that is not really helpful, which is why this thing keeps getting asked all the time. A much better thing to ask is "what is worth spending gold on?" and then you will start to get much more useful information.

The thing is, that making gold is rather easy in this game. It comes at a steady pace simply by playing. It might not always come in a form that is easily identifiable as "gold", and usually needs an extra step (You need to vendor it, list it in a guild store, craft something from it, use it to get something else that you will then list in the guild store and so on.)

Eventually a million will become chump change, and I realize that it might not feel that way at the star of the game, where 50k feels like a lot of cash. But trust me, it will change.

When you no longer have base gold sinks (i.e. bank space, horse upgrades, basic consumables (potions, food, poisons, soulgems) or even armor repairs (I have couple of hundred grand repair kits distributed among my character - all received from doing crafting writs)) you will easily make 30-60k in gold during a single evening of play, depending on how lucky you are with your RNG, and what dailies you bother to do, and whether you maintain a membership in a trading guild.

The other side of the equation is that the game has tons of inbuilt gold sinks - and some of them have been purposefully scaled to obscene levels, just to drain some of the vast stockpiles of gold that long time players have squirreled away. This makes certain things require horrendous amounts of grind for new players to achieve, and many, I feel, don't even try.

See, this game is old - not ancient, but it does have history. And this means that there is a wealthy class of long time players, who operate in a completely different economic environment from those who have played only for a year or less.

To some of these players, 10 million is chump change. And ZOS knows how much money is out there, and they keep that in mind when coming up with new gold sinks. As time goes by, it will be ever increasingly difficult to catch up with those who have already "done it all." Who already have all the motifs, who already have fully furnished houses, and all characters at max level and in gold gear.

However, the vast majority of these sinks are just that - sinks and not really necessary for enjoying the core content in the game - i.e. overland PVE questing, which constitutes the vast majority of what is on offer here. End game raiding and doing group dungeons requires a bit more - you need to have decent gear and a bunch of solid consumables to be competent, but as long as you're not trying to kit out 14 characters with several alternative loads of full gold gear, it won't be too hard to achieve once you've done with the things that actually matter - i.e. bag space, bank space and horse training. At that point, your only real sink is potions, and it's pretty easy to be self sufficient about that too.

Once you're there, everything you do will generate excess gold and the only real question is what things are worth actually spending gold on. But until that point, expect every ounce of gold you make to pay for these inbuilt gold sinks. You really wont be able to afford all the extraneous cosmetic junk the game has on offer until you've finished with the primary gold sinks.

As for practical advice... Start doing crafting writs early. Even if you do not level the characters themselves, roll up your maximum allotment of characters and keep doing writs with them. Also keep picking up every crafting node you come across, and decon stuff until you get level 50 crafting skills for all your characters. Start researching traits on all of them ASAP, it will markedly increase your master writ drop changes, which translates to increased profits. Learning motifs is not all that important, but mastering the traits is. Also as an added bonus, you will be flooded with grand repair kits and will never have to spend gold on repairing armor anymore. And if you are playing on PC use add-ons that can automate most of the procedure and make it require couple of minutes per character. Do that and you will be drowning in gold in no time.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Do Fighter's Guild dailies, do crafting dailies, do dungeons. Sell all white level gear (except Intricate), deconstruct everything else with trash gear. Joining a trading guild is nice, but if you are brand new, you won't have access to the gear people want to buy. When it comes to weapons and armor, most want CP 160. There just isn't a large market for lower-level gear, other than for researching.

However, I would concentrate more on research and leveling up your crafting. Gold is the easiest thing to get once you're past the beginning stage.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a new player, I'd say stealing and fencing is a lot easier than anything that requires you get a trading guild (which mat farming and fishing for Perfect Roe, two other commonly suggested methods, do require). The problem is that trading guilds typically have some sort of requirement (dues, sales minimums, etc.) for you to stay in them, and those requirements can be hard to meet when you're still figuring out how the system works.

So just rob the ships in Daggerfall, fence your loot at the nearby Outlaw's Refuge, and repeat as needed until you've filled your quota for the day, and you'll build up cash pretty quickly. It's not as quick as other methods, but as a newbie, it easily has the lowest point of entry of any solid method of money-making. Up your fencing limits and pickpocket chances with Skill Points when you can, and you have a steady source of income to at least get your foot in the door at a trading guild or something.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    amber8303 wrote: »
    I’m not sure what crafting mats is either.

Crafting materials; ore, wood, fiber plants you harvest and refine to make the metal ingots, sanded wood pieces, and cloth/leather you need to make your armor and weapons.

If you have no crafting skills at all, you'll see brown/bronzish lumps of rock around, usually near rocks/cliffs. You'll also see red lumps of rock in the same types of places; use it to have your character pull out a pickax and mine it. Look around for tree branches/pieces of tree trunks lying about, again, various colors and types depending on your woodworking skill. Use the branch on the ground to have your character pull out an ax and cut the wood apart. Critters in the world; kill them and take the hide pieces and meat. See flowers you can "use", pick them; you'll get either fiber or alchemy materials. When you go to a crafting station you can refine the materials; you'll get metal ingots from the ores, sanded wood, larger hides from scraps, and bolts of cloth from the plants that give you fiber. You have a chance to get improvement tempers when you refine the raw materials. Your crafter uses the tempers to improve your armor and weapons from white, to green, to blue, to purple to gold, improving the stats. People will always buy tempers. People will buy both the "raw" and the refined materials as well. Certain flowers are always in high demand for potions for boosting stats.