The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Forced auto-loot when gathering.

• srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No. Let junks behind and stop respawning.
    Your poll is broken. Leaving stuff in the node doesn't prevent it from respawning.

It will respawn even if something is left behind.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radudraq93 wrote: »
    No. Let junks behind and stop respawning
    That's not how it works. Partially looted nodes respawn just a fast as fully looted nodes.

Uninformed poll is uninformed ...
    dry.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on October 15, 2018 5:47PM
  • Ravenayle
    Ravenayle
    ✭✭✭
    Force auto-loot for gathering yes.
    This always annoys me to have one junk item left behind on a node/chest and the previous player takes the good stuff. it happens all the time. I swear sometimes people just cherry pick, and they don't care that they are leaving junk behind for the next player. I think some of them believe it's funny or a joke. Maybe that's cynical, but I've been farming in some zones where it's not just an isolated node or chest. There are several that are like that.

But how to fix this?

There could be a 10 item 'overflow' on inventory so that everything gets looted, but this has to be cleared out before the player can interact with the next node or chest.

ZOS could make it so after a partially looted node / chest has been abandoned that it will despawn in one minute so a new node will take it's place.

• eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    make nodes instanced like provisioning mat containers. u leave your crap behind => it wont spawn a new node for u.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides a skewed poll being bad. All that needs to happen is when someone interacts with a node or chest in the open world it starts a despawn timer.

That is a pretty simple change that does not force anyone to do anything as OP wants to do. It is a solution zos already has with sacks and chests located in trials so we know it can easily be done.
  • Alamakot
    Alamakot
    ✭✭✭
    MaleAmazon wrote: »
    What if their inventory was full?
    Is it a problem to drop some unwanted trash to the ground and attempt to pick up columbine with worms again?
    Or mail some stuff to guildmate with the subject "return me this pls"?
    And visit bank and merchant more often?

• MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a problem to drop some unwanted trash to the ground and attempt to pick up columbine with worms again?

The point was that it is kind of hard to force auto-loot if your inventory is full halfway through...

You´d have to stunlock the player at the chest.

Admittedly it would look hysterically funny when someone who doesnt know how to destroy items got magnetically stuck to a chest... but no.

Just have the node disappear if partially looted.

TBH though I think this is a non-problem.
    Edited by MaleAmazon on October 15, 2018 6:09PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    All that needs to happen is when someone interacts with a node or chest in the open world it starts a despawn timer.

That's exactly how it already works, and has worked for years ...
    rolleyes.gif
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alamakot wrote: »
    MaleAmazon wrote: »
    What if their inventory was full?
    Or mail some stuff to guildmate with the subject "return me this pls"?
    And visit bank and merchant more often?

Honestly, the game is designed to allow people to leave it behind. The server cleans it up, with no impact to game play other than people think it might be an untouched node. Is it "nice" to leave it behind? Not really, but it doesn't break the game.

When I come across these, I just take the stuff. It ain't no big deal, and it happens to meso infrequently that is is usually more surprising than annoying.
    Edited by Elsonso on October 15, 2018 6:20PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Hoolielulu
    Hoolielulu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worms aren't junk. I sell those suckers all the time. Your "ugh, worms" is my "woo hoo gold!"
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we all daily encountered with looting nodes ,chests,thiefs trove, or crafting etc... Being left with a junky item like worms (for plant),lockpick (for trove) etc.. is that very unfair and I encounter this everyday! This must stop now and all players must be forced to loot all the content from that chest, plant,ore vein etc...

Just another plebe with ESO+ complaining about people who don't have it. Try resource gathering without Plus and see which is worse.... You having extra worms, or going back to a city every 5 minutes to sell off crap to make room for more resources
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found some naval fluff.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make the node disappear after 30 seconds.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    too many typos.
    Edited by Davor on October 15, 2018 7:18PM
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    All that needs to happen is when someone interacts with a node or chest in the open world it starts a despawn timer.

That's exactly how it already works, and has worked for years ...
    rolleyes.gif

So we can abandon this thread. It serves no real need.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hands up all those who have checked chests to make sure they do respawn with something in them.

How long did you have to wait? Can you confirm that all the chests have the same respawn timer and that things like lag and loaded server databases mean that chests are unaffected with a partially emptied inventory?
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bam_Bam wrote: »
    Hands up all those who have checked chests to make sure they do respawn with something in them.

How long did you have to wait? Can you confirm that all the chests have the same respawn timer and that things like lag and loaded server databases mean that chests are unaffected with a partially emptied inventory?

LOL. Why don't you start checking all chests. Every single one of them. We expect a report back at the end of the week.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have, for both nodes and chests. And yes, the restart timer starts the moment you interact with a node or unlock a chest.
    There is no difference in respawn time between a fully looted node/chest and a partially looted node/chest.

The partially looted ones will stay visible for most of the respawn time, then disappear and the new node/chest will spawn on the exact same timer as if it had been fully looted.
    type.gif

PS: The actual wait/respawn time depends on how many other players are in the area. The more players, the shorter the respawn timer. To get consistent testing, i used the PTS and used areas that were more or less guaranteed to have little to no player population.

PPS: Don't test this in an area that has a lot of possible chest spawn places, like Kenarthi's Roost for example. The number of spawned chests in a zone at any given time is limited, so having an area where you have less possible spawn points helps with testing this. Otherwise a chest might not spawn where you are until a chest somewhere else in the zone has been picked.

Edited by SirAndy on October 15, 2018 8:00PM
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1 You lost me at "forced". Forced ALWAYS has negative impact on morale.

2 As already stated, it works fine as is. It starts the respawn timer upon interaction - not when cleared.

3 I'm happy to take anything that's left behind. When I farm, I farm like a bulldozer. I don't even pay attention to what is in the node. I just sort it all out when I get back to town. Sell good stuff - junk the rest.
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we all daily encountered with looting nodes ,chests,thiefs trove, or crafting etc... Being left with a junky item like worms (for plant),lockpick (for trove) etc.. is that very unfair and I encounter this everyday! This must stop now and all players must be forced to loot all the content from that chest, plant,ore vein etc...

Just another plebe with ESO+ complaining about people who don't have it. Try resource gathering without Plus and see which is worse.... You having extra worms, or going back to a city every 5 minutes to sell off crap to make room for more resources

Bravo.

I have ESO+ and i agree.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Chests do not spawn like crafting nodes. We have to go by what the devs have said. They did not say anything to me, so I defer to others, for that.

Testing crafting nodes is the most mind-numbingly boring thing I have done in the game. Ever. Anyone who thinks that the Murkmire daily quests are boring, tedious, or too repetitive needs to go test crafting node despawn and respawn times for a couple hours in an empty zone on PTS.

EDIT:
    @SirAndy I spent some mind-numbing time watching crafting nodes spawn today, which I have not done in a couple of years and figure that it needs to be done again. I was doing this in a zone on Live, off in a corner, watching two ore nodes that are not on bot paths. As it sits today, the node respawn timer starts when the node is cleared, either by the player or by the automatic despawn, not when the node is opened.

1) All items taken from the node: respawn in ~2 minutes.
    2) No items taken from the node: despawn in ~5 minutes, respawn after an additional ~2 minutes.
    3) Partial items taken from the node: despawn in ~5 minutes, respawn after an additional ~2 minutes.
    Edited by Elsonso on October 16, 2018 1:13AM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2) No items taken from the node: despawn in ~5 minutes, respawn after an additional ~2 minutes.
    3) Partial items taken from the node: despawn in ~5 minutes, respawn after an additional ~2 minutes.
    The 2 minute respawn seems way too fast, are you sure there weren't any other players around?
    The only time i ever see anything respawn that fast is if the area is pretty crowded.

Which is why i did all my testing on the PTS ...
    idea.gif
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    The 2 minute respawn seems way too fast, are you sure there weren't any other players around?
    The only time i ever see anything respawn that fast is if the area is pretty crowded.

Which is why i did all my testing on the PTS ...
    idea.gif

Well, I was in an active zone, so yes, there were other players. I also did another test in another active zone where I had line of sight on 5 nodes and they all had a 2 minute timer, as well. For a while I had everything choreographed because I knew when the node was going to spawn.

I did it on PTS and gave up after 40 minutes waiting for the node to respawn, so I do not think that PTS is a good place to test. At least, not right now. :smile: I don't know if they even have that subsystem turned on. That is why I moved to Live.

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Since leaving stuff behind doesn't stop respawning....silly question
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm chill when picking up leftovers now (as opposed to last year and the year before that and the year before that). :D
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is a real problem to some, find those junk mats, the mats that so many people don't even want, and make the craftbaggable to all. If they are junk as you say, it would be of limited loss to the exclusive ESO+ community, and it would be alleviate any reason why the non - ESO+ community may not wish to pick them up.

If worms were just sent to the craftbag by default, for everybody, who would bother leaving them behind? If every player knew that any garbage found was not going to burden them, they'd just have auto-loot on and take the whole node.

I only take the gold from thieves chests simply because I CBF laundering any of the rest.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I always heard that the respawn time was longer when people left items in the chest.

That is a misconception and a lie. It was confirmed several times by ZOS and you can also test it yourself. Go to some remote location, open a node and leave it without picking anything up. It will respawn after the same time as a fully looted node.

It is a bit different with chests since there are other factors affecting their spawn. A partially looted chest will still despawn but it is not guaranteed to respawn at the same location. That has nothing to do with being partially looted. Just the way chest spawns work.
    I said I had "heard that." I wasn't saying I was 100% sure of it. Don't you dare call it a "lie" just because it's something I'd been told by people in the game. How rude and demeaning of you to say that. You might be right, but you're unbelievably rude.

Edited by SydneyGrey on October 16, 2018 6:40AM
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forced auto loot is not a good idea.

When you open a chest with auto-loot turned off, what do you see?
    You see a list of items arranged in a vertical fashion. At the top of the list are usually the 'junk' or 'common' items and toward the bottom of that list are the uncommon, or more rare items.

The way loot is arranged on the list is the way it goes into your inventory when auto-loot is turned on -- meaning the more common items go in first and the last to go into your inventory are the more uncommon or rare items.

Now, let's say auto loot is turned on. You open a chest but only half the items made it into your inventory before your inventory became full. What's left in the chest is the uncommon or rare item(s) that you really want. You un-target the chest to make room in your inventory for that item ... but ... as soon as you do, someone else runs up to the chest and steals what's inside. If auto loot were mandatory, it will only encourage this type of trollish behavior.

Edited by Maryal on October 16, 2018 6:51AM
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They just need to put all multiple loots from any container into a bundle that you have to take into your inventory for it to open. If you don't have room for everything, it won't open fully, like when you have containers from turning in crafting writs. That would put an end to this cherrypicking nonsense.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    I always heard that the respawn time was longer when people left items in the chest.

That is a misconception and a lie. It was confirmed several times by ZOS and you can also test it yourself. Go to some remote location, open a node and leave it without picking anything up. It will respawn after the same time as a fully looted node.

It is a bit different with chests since there are other factors affecting their spawn. A partially looted chest will still despawn but it is not guaranteed to respawn at the same location. That has nothing to do with being partially looted. Just the way chest spawns work.
    I said I had "heard that." I wasn't saying I was 100% sure of it. Don't you dare call it a "lie" just because it's something I'd been told by people in the game. How rude and demeaning of you to say that. You might be right, but you're unbelievably rude.

I do want to add that this behavior has apparently changed over time, at least for ore crafting nodes. I have only had time to test ore, and picked them first because they messed with them for Jewelry Crafting. For at least ore, partially taken nodes do increase respawn time.

This does not change how I feel about forced Auto-Loot, since it is still apparent that it is intended for the node to remain after being partially looted. For about 5 minutes. This is presumably so that the person, or some person, can claim what remains there. Intentionally.