The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Forced auto-loot when gathering.

radudraq93
radudraq93
Soul Shriven
So we all daily encountered with looting nodes ,chests,thiefs trove, or crafting etc... Being left with a junky item like worms (for plant),lockpick (for trove) etc.. is that very unfair and I encounter this everyday! This must stop now and all players must be forced to loot all the content from that chest, plant,ore vein etc...
"Witcher Niralt"

Forced auto-loot when gathering. 182 votes

Force auto-loot for gathering yes.
67%
NestorThumbtackJakevailjohn_ESOClansman2013theyanceyashenehb14_ESODarcyMardinSaucy_Jackwenchmore420b14_ESOMadyAH93aubrey.baconb16_ESOAlienSlofSoupDragonLarsSLoralai_907starkerealmAzraelKriegSnippit_Thomasbottleofsyrup 123 votes
No. Let junks behind and stop respawning.
32%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOotis67Lightspeedflashb14_ESOSvenjaIzanagi.Xiiib16_ESOValveSkayaqidkJasonSilverSpringmadeeh91rwb17_ESOBRogueNZstarlizard70ub17_ESOSleepsrfrogg23AhPook_Is_Hereandreasvamithxcalibur007TandorDMuehlhausen 59 votes
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you would implement this how? Stunlock the player at the chest? :) What if their inventory was full? I have to say I dont know if it is just me though but this isnt a problem on PC EU imo... I cannot even remember the last time I saw a half looted container. It must literally be months.
    Edited by MaleAmazon on October 15, 2018 1:42PM
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaleAmazon wrote: »
    And you would implement this how? Stunlock the player at the chest? :) I have to say I dont know if it is just me though but this isnt a problem on PC EU imo... I cannot even remember the last time I saw a half looted container. It must literally be months.

PC EU too, agree entirely. I do find worms left behind sometimes, but I appreciate those.

Didn't vote because there is no "I don't care" option.
    Edited by pdblake on October 15, 2018 1:44PM
  • radudraq93
    radudraq93
    Soul Shriven
    And you would implement this how? Stunlock the player at the chest? :) I have to say I dont know if it is just me though but this isnt a problem on PC EU imo... I cannot even remember the last time I saw a half looted container. It must literally be months.

Simply just when you loot something to be auto-looted instant, not stunlock, and I'm on PC EU too encountering this everyday especialy of thiefs troves and silks, just worms and lockpicks...
    "Witcher Niralt"
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Couple it with forced deletion of forum accounts on the 50th rehash of the same 'issue.'

This is a dead horse, as the search would have quickly shown you.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just have chests despawn like a minute after opening, unless it's in like dungeons or trials.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The respawn timer starts when the node is opened. It doesn't matter if something was taken from it or not. It will still respawn after the same time. So you either find a node with some worms and lockpicks (hey, free money!) or find nothing.

Yeah, I definitely want nothing! /s
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply just when you loot something to be auto-looted instant, not stunlock, and I'm on PC EU too encountering this everyday especialy of thiefs troves and silks, just worms and lockpicks...

I still dont understand how you would deal with a full inventory halfway through the loot.

Since I got craft bag I just autoloot everything and let God Zenithar sort it out later.

And I dunno when you play, I honestly havent encountered this after the first few months of playing the game a few years ago (when space was limited). It might be that I just dont notice though, I dont keep track on the overland loot before I get to the merchant, usually.
    Edited by MaleAmazon on October 15, 2018 1:54PM
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't mind the "junk" left behind.

Over the weekend I sold worms, alchemical whatsis, mundane runes, bast, and the other furnishing mats people left behind in nodes, filling the 30 selling slots twice [all I bothered to do] and got over 50k gold.

• Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aah, the one from Wrothgar zone chat? Yes. Something needs to be done about it.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is there anything that proves, that this slows down the respawns? I haven't seen anything jet.
    Apart from that there are better solutions.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    • Scenario 1: You open a new chest, contains crap you don't want. You take and destroy the items. Chest respawns.
    • Scenario 2: You open a non-new chest, contains crap you don't want. You take and destroy the items. Chest respawns.
    • Scenario 3: You open a pre-looted chest, contains crap you don't want. You take and destroy the items. Chest respawns.
    • Scenario 4: You open a pre-looted chest, contains crap you don't want. You don't take and destroy the items. Chest respawns.
    • Scenario 5: You don't open a pre-looted chest, doesn't matter what it contains. Chest respawns.
    • Scenario 6: You don't open a nonexistent chest, not containing crap you don't want. You move on. Chest respawns.

This is a non-issue. Chest respawns.

EDIT: Added scenario 3 through 6 for completeness' sake.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on October 15, 2018 4:13PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Nulami
    Nulami
    ✭✭✭
    radudraq93 wrote: »
    So we all daily encountered with looting nodes ,chests,thiefs trove, or crafting etc... Being left with a junky item like worms (for plant),lockpick (for trove) etc.. is that very unfair and I encounter this everyday! This must stop now and all players must be forced to loot all the content from that chest, plant,ore vein etc...

Life's unfair. It isn't the end of the world to be left with worms or a lockpick. Either pick it up and move on or leave it and move on. You are going to find plenty of untouched nodes that you can do your picking and choosing on. Quit complaining that someone beat you to it before you could do it to them.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poll is built on a faulty premise.

No, auto-loot should not be enforced. Even if it was, it would not solve the problem since the person could simply have a full inventory that is designed to leave "junk" behind while taking the "good stuff".

This was extensively researched. The partially taken nodes and chests despawn. The respawn is not any longer, either, and in the case of chests, a respawn at that location is not even guaranteed.

I say leave it alone.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I open a lot of chests, and come across an opened one perhaps once every two or three months. The stuff left behind is always of use to me, whether for crafting, fishing, research or deconstruction. It never bothers me to be honest. I don't think there's a real problem, but if there is then I don't see auto-loot being an effective solution to it.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Junk doesn't stop or even slow respawning. You people need to stop spreading this lie among the community.

The nodes are on a timer that starts the moment they're interacted with. There are other factors at play (i.e. # of players in zone) that affect spawn rate - but ZOS confirmed MANY times over YEARS that leaving junk in the nodes does not in any way shape or form prevent or even remotely influence respawning.

Is it a mild annoyance? Yes. Does lying about it and convincing other people the nodes won't respawn constitute a meaningful response? Not at all.

Stop lying/spreading misinformation.
    Edited by lagrue on October 15, 2018 2:57PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The frequency with which I witness this "problem" is so minuscule I can't justify such a measure. I'm not sure how other folks can either.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I autoloot everything. Ain't nobody got time for standing around sorting stuff out. While you're standing around pondering what to take and what to leave, I've already looted the next one.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worms aren't junk. They're bait for fishing.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    I autoloot everything. Ain't nobody got time for standing around sorting stuff out. While you're standing around pondering what to take and what to leave, I've already looted the next one.

Ahh, so your point is really nothing about leaving stuff behind, but that all* containers, bags, furniture, dead NPCs, etc should be auto-loot, with no option to turn it off? Not judging, but not a typical suggestion.

* except maybe when thieving or pickpocketing?
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    The respawn timer starts when the node is opened. It doesn't matter if something was taken from it or not. It will still respawn after the same time. So you either find a node with some worms and lockpicks (hey, free money!) or find nothing.
    I always heard that the respawn time was longer when people left items in the chest.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never set up autoloot and yet I still loot everything.

I very rarely find nodes/chests that are pre-opened and if I do I just shrug and move to the next one.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I always heard that the respawn time was longer when people left items in the chest.

That is a misconception and a lie. It was confirmed several times by ZOS and you can also test it yourself. Go to some remote location, open a node and leave it without picking anything up. It will respawn after the same time as a fully looted node.

It is a bit different with chests since there are other factors affecting their spawn. A partially looted chest will still despawn but it is not guaranteed to respawn at the same location. That has nothing to do with being partially looted. Just the way chest spawns work.
  • MagicalLija
    MagicalLija
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    either force them, or remove the node completely once 1 thing has been taken out of it
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know alot of peeps arent eso plus members. Not having that craft bag means inventory management is a different experience. Leaving things they have no use for may be part if that.

Forced auto loot only makes sense for craft bag items. Infinite space. Not for those without it.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a big deal to me. Nodes respawn once the node is looted even if items are left behind. Same amount of time to respawn if completely looted or not completely looted. This use to bother me in the past but now I look at it as a time saving issue especially when looting an already unlocked chest.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Elsonso on October 16, 2018 8:54AM
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, thinking about it, I think a "the node or chest despawns the second the looter gets 30yards from it" would be better. Might be harder to program, though.

People running along a route looking for stuff, detour over to that mostly-looted thing and dismount. Yes, I'd rather see nothing and continue on my way, than have my time wasted by going to a junk node. Also, a fresh node would likely respawn sooner, since it doesn't have to wait for the old one to go away first.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on October 15, 2018 4:35PM
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »

That is a misconception and a lie. It was confirmed several times by ZOS and you can also test it yourself. Go to some remote location, open a node and leave it without picking anything up. It will respawn after the same time as a fully looted node.

It is a bit different with chests since there are other factors affecting their spawn. A partially looted chest will still despawn but it is not guaranteed to respawn at the same location. That has nothing to do with being partially looted. Just the way chest spawns work.

If you want to put this argument in the ground, why don't you provide links to a response by ZOS or a ZOS employee.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying I have never seen any response by ZOS about this issue.

I think if anyone posted quotes or links to the ZOS response, it would be easier to convince people that this is not a problem for them.
  • shadowwraith666
    shadowwraith666
    ✭✭✭✭
    And you would implement this how? Stunlock the player at the chest? :) What if their inventory was full? I have to say I dont know if it is just me though but this isnt a problem on PC EU imo... I cannot even remember the last time I saw a half looted container. It must literally be months.

it can be implemented by making auto-loot permanent and removing the toggle option from the menu but keep the toggle for stolen stuff
    • Vicktor Bloodtail - L42 Argonian Magblade, Werewolf - EP
    • Xarxes - L31 Dunmer Sorc, Vampire - EP
    • Lichtspear - L21 Argonian Temp - EP
    • Rajka Fireclaw - L21 Khajit DK - AD

PS4 EU
    Spill some blood for me dear brother
    Vicente Valtiere, Dark Brotherhood, Oblivion
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Ahh, so your point is really nothing about leaving stuff behind, but that all* containers, bags, furniture, dead NPCs, etc should be auto-loot, with no option to turn it off? Not judging, but not a typical suggestion.

* except maybe when thieving or pickpocketing?

Yes, that's what I do, even pickpocketing. I sort my stuff out when I get back to town. Not going to be an ass and leave lockpicks in a Vvardenfell treasure chest when I can loot everything and reset it for the next guy who might enjoy that Armiger motif or Triptych painting. Some people are only concerned with themselves, but karma will come back to you with the same measure you put into it.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.