Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Suggestion: Roleplayer - A Unique Name Plate

• MrGraves
    MrGraves
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only issue I see RPers really having is the phasing. Like there used to be lots of rp in different places like stormhaven for example but it's pretty much impossible now to have an RP hub there like there used to be because of the amount of players there. IDK if displaying you are an RPer to everyone is a good idea but of course the idea is for it to be optional.

I think if something of this sort was implemented it should group people labeling themselves as RPers into same phases of zones if it can. That way rpers can actually find each other in the more densely populated/high traffic areas without having to know eachother/be in same guild etc. The main reason people don't see RPers as much is cause of how the megaserver works now (and has probably since one tamriel?) people interested in RP are more often driven to use housing or even more remote zones/areas so they can find each other.

IDK about everyone but there's also different kinds of RPers. Like for dungeoning for example, some people like to roleplay it (the typing out RP stuff you come across) and some people just like to play the game "immersively." most people who do the text RP separate RP from dungeons unless they are with their RP friends choosing to do the dungeon and stuff. Alot of RPers do normal pve/pvp content like everyone else when they aren't RPing.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    nemvar wrote: »
    I never got roleplaying in a MMO...
    Well, there are MMOs and then there are MMORPGs like... Elder Scrolls Online!
    So, technically... people are -supposed- to roleplay here, and everyone who doesn't is a piece of [censored, censored, oh, so much censored] :p;):trollface:

RP in the context OP created this thread is very different than the RP in MMORPG.

No. Not at all.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrGraves wrote: »
    so they can find each other.

Overworld RP could help connect a lot of people.

• John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It could have been helped a bit if ESO had a richer addon API that allows addons to communicate between one another or export data other addons would see. But I've looked into it - specifically for the purpose of exchanging RP status and info - and there's no way for two users of same addon to convey a bit of information to each other in real time.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could have been helped a bit if ESO had a richer addon API that allows addons to communicate between one another or export data other addons would see. But I've looked into it - specifically for the purpose of exchanging RP status and info - and there's no way for two users of same addon to convey a bit of information to each other in real time.

Which is why ESO should step in.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about earnable plates from quests or crown store?
  • MrGraves
    MrGraves
    ✭✭✭✭

My point was that they wont be finding each other if it doesn't also phase people labeled that way into the same instance of a zone. Which is essentially the reason there isn't alot of overworld rp anymore is because RPers aren't being phased into the same instance of a zone which means they have to already know eachother to port to eachother.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    What about earnable plates from quests or crown store?

I am pro achievement/crown store, but this is to highlight a playing style. Another thought I had was to allow RPers to have an icon above their head similar to PvP Faction notifications. I just think that may be too visually interrupting.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My point was that they wont be finding each other if it doesn't also phase people labeled that way into the same instance of a zone. Which is essentially the reason there isn't alot of overworld rp anymore is because RPers aren't being phased into the same instance of a zone which means they have to already know eachother to port to eachother.

Great point, I do not think ZOS would implement a 4th phase; due to farming/node reasons. But perhaps they could all be channeled into one. The only concern is that may cause a zone queue.
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there even any RPers on the PS4 or XBox platforms? I only encountered them once or twice while on the PC/Mac version of ESO.
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it a toggle

And i think it is a good idea

When you re a casual, you dont know who you can rp with
    Edited by Morgul667 on October 5, 2018 5:44AM
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Make it a toggle

And i think it is a good idea

When you re a casual, you dont know who you can rp with

Thank you for supporting the idea.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is actually not true. Some addons allow you to share your ultimate, buffs and even resources with your group. The thing that OP is asking for is actually pretty realistic and can be done in the same way as Lib_CustomTitles (or whatever it is called). Although it will probably be quite a job to maintain a database and everyone who want's to have an "RPer" title will have to sign up and get this addon.

It's all doable but difficult and will probably be not worth it since not that many people actually care about spontaneous open-world RP. There are multiple RP communities that have guilds and discords and all that good stuff.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Royaji , you said it yourself: with your group. The only API calls that allow you to (in very lackluster way too, but still) share information between addons only work when you're already in a group, and that makes it utterly useless in the context we're discussing. There's no way to communicate with an addon installed by a randomly encountered person who happens to be under your crosshair.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Royaji , you said it yourself: with your group. The only API calls that allow you to (in very lackluster way too, but still) share information between addons only work when you're already in a group, and that makes it utterly useless in the context we're discussing. There's no way to communicate with an addon installed by a randomly encountered person who happens to be under your crosshair.

I apologize for being a bit too vague in my previous comment and starting with a wrong example. Have you ever seen Lib_CustomTitles that is distributed with some addons? Basically it is a small library that makes it so certain people (some known addon's authors and their friends) have a unique title in game. This title will say something completely unique and can even be done in any color. The "RPer" thing can be done the same way but it will have to done manually.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Royaji , my turn to apologize; I also wasn't precise when I mentioned that I was looking into ways of communicate between addons. I wasn't exactly looking into a custom plaque next to the name - if I get it right, Lib_CustomTitles disseminates titles either through saved variables and syncing, or through library updates (and then titles are hardcoded in the body of the library itself). It can be used simply to mark character as RPer, but what I was talking about is precisely communication between addons in real time. For example, targeting another character would show currently selected status (out for RP?), snippet (possibly dynamically updated) of in-character information, things like that. There is a low-bandwidth channel (map pings) to communicate within a group, but nothing available for randomly encountered characters.
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Royaji , my turn to apologize; I also wasn't precise when I mentioned that I was looking into ways of communicate between addons. I wasn't exactly looking into a custom plaque next to the name - if I get it right, Lib_CustomTitles disseminates titles either through saved variables and syncing, or through library updates (and then titles are hardcoded in the body of the library itself). It can be used simply to mark character as RPer, but what I was talking about is precisely communication between addons in real time. For example, targeting another character would show currently selected status (out for RP?), snippet (possibly dynamically updated) of in-character information, things like that. There is a low-bandwidth channel (map pings) to communicate within a group, but nothing available for randomly encountered characters.

That would be great if an addon could bridge this. I am just wishing it would be a default thing.
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Unknown_Redemption This is an awesome idea! Yee!

ravenarc wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to ya but it'll be a crown store exclusive under services costing around 1500 crowns per title for each characters.

Hope not.. :'(
    if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just FYI, ESO does have a huge RP community on the ESO-RP.com Enjin site.

This game doesn't really have a centralized RP location like some other games, mainly because of phasing issues. So roleplayers learned from launch onwards that the best way to find RP is to join hub guilds or dedicated RP guilds.

That said, a title identifying oneself as an RPer is a good idea, and I'd use it.

BUT, I do want to make a quick distinction here... most people who talk about being RPers in regards to an MMO aren't talking about wanting to walk slowly through dungeon quests or play the game like a singleplayer RPG. Roleplay for many/most people means using /emote channel to write a collaborative story with other players.

RPers aren't automatically casuals and don't necessarily want to take the scenic route in the game. Most consider regular gameplay like questing or running dungeons to be out of character. I RP every day, but I want speed runs for my dungeons. :p
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
  • jpo
    jpo
    ✭✭✭
    I'd pay Zen $5-$10 a month for a separate RP server. The cost would generally keep the non-RPers away and allow free roleplaying at will.

That would probably remove the phasing concerns also.
    Edited by jpo on November 19, 2018 11:09AM
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is actually a great idea. Both the seperate title tag color and a new chat channel for rp that is distance limited but still open /say in nature.

PLEASE if any Zen moderator reads this thred, consider this change.
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't read all comments, but to avoid trolls/hate:
    - Make the plates/highlighting only visible for the people who toggled the "RP-mode" aswell
    - Add a cooldown to the toggle (you can toggle back after 24 hours for example)
    - In combination with the cooldown they'll have to add some features (but more importantly limitations compared to non RP mode) to keep players from toggling just for the lolz
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could tell RPers from other players. Sometimes I think I see them and I try not to ruin their experience. Sometimes I feel like taking part, but I don't know how. If I wisper, I would ruin everything...
    Edited by myskyrim26 on November 19, 2018 1:11PM
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Protossyder , I think that cooldown may not be exactly a good way to solve it, especially with limitations, because as it often goes with the game, one moment someone heads out and marks himself as 'RP mode', and next moment someone pokes him and asks if he could help in a dungeon or trial, and it'd be a bad thing to penalize someone just because plans have changed.
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Protossyder , I think that cooldown may not be exactly a good way to solve it, especially with limitations, because as it often goes with the game, one moment someone heads out and marks himself as 'RP mode', and next moment someone pokes him and asks if he could help in a dungeon or trial, and it'd be a bad thing to penalize someone just because plans have changed.

@John_Falstaff Well, one limitation could be: not being able to get on the leaderboards for trials/arenas. You could still help out this way.
    A toggle back to normal mode could also cost gold or crowns, but then everybody would start crying again. Imo there is no better way to deal with trolls than by adding a cooldown + limitations. I am not a RP gamer myself, so I dont have to care, but I know that you cant trust people.
    Edited by Protossyder on November 19, 2018 1:25PM
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • BleedMe_AnOcean
    BleedMe_AnOcean
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think that everyone needs to realize that people spend their time in Tamriel differently. We may not agree with what others do, but we should make it as immersive as possible for them as long as it still allows us all to coexist.

I've done content with RPers. One was a damn good healer. Wish I could remember his name. He broke RP in LFG, obviously. RPers who want to RP dungeons and trials always have the option of forming groups among themselves. I am not interested in RP at all, but I have mad respect for those who are and I want everyone I may interact with to be happy.

This is not a bad idea, OP. Not at all.
    Edited by BleedMe_AnOcean on November 19, 2018 1:53PM
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

The idea is simple and targeted towards a unique player base within ESO - the Roleplayer. I am suggesting that any player has an option to go under the game settings and toggle a social mode for roleplaying. In turn, this will change their name plate to gold, indicating to the player-base that they are attempting a deeper level of immersion.

I believe this may help other RPers find one another in the open world, and encourage approaching one another; just like how another player may approach a quest giver. This will also give a subtle notification to those around to perhaps give them some space (e.g. Mount stacking). And in groups, that they may run just a little bit slower as they take the dungeon in.

Keep in mind, this is a toggle, and character specific.

My hope, is that if this idea is successful, that there may be new dungeon finder option - such as RP only runs; because, maybe they want to have an adventure.

*As I do not personally RP, please let me know if you have further recommendations.

Awesome Idea OP!
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the added contributions to the thread.
  • Strike_Maximus
    Strike_Maximus
    ✭✭✭
    This is a unique idea, while some of use poke fun at RPers even myself once in awhile they have every right to do what they do and anything to make there experience better since RPing is a big community i think would be a positive.
    The nameplate idea is interesting you could have a RP nameplate, PVP nameplate and PVE nameplate to identify people's play styles make it a toggle on off thing and it would be interesting, might help players to identify players from other or the their same communities and make new friends.
    PC/NA/DC

CP 810
    Garin Maximus, Breton, Dragonknight, Confused (Crafter)
    Vertalius Maximus, Imperial, Templar, Tank
    Vistilia Maximus, Imperial, Magicka Templar, Healer
    Stormproof - Rowlan Maximus, Breton, Pet Sorc, DPS (MAIN)
    Theottus Maximus, Imperial, Stam night blade, DPS
    Stedus Maximus, Imperial, Magicka Templar, DPS
    Dexion Maximus, Imperial, Magicka Necromancer, DPS
  • sno_flah_ke
    sno_flah_ke
    ✭✭✭
    i am not sure i understand even what is meant by roleplaying in this game.