The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What do you consider to be a fair selling price in zone?

• Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other (please clarify)
    it's being touted in zone so, I assume
    WTB - grossly too low
    WTS - grossly too high

& I'm not logging the TTC/MM running trader to check - ever...
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fair price if 2 parties agree to the price and both are left satisfied with the sale.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • LordSkyKnight
    LordSkyKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what these people who would if they didn’t have the two addons to tell them what they should sell or buy their goods at. God forbid someone actually tries to buy or sell something outside their their stupid graphs and they lose it. Cracks me up when the sheep start posting their MM or TTC graphs when they get triggered about your sell or purchase prices.
    "And it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days. The fact that the word "monetized" exists points to the heart of the issue for us: We don't want the player to worry about which parts of the game to pay for - with our system, they get it all."
    - Matt Firor
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please clarify)
    I wonder what these people who would if they didn’t have the two addons to tell them what they should sell or buy their goods at.

They'd probably use a notepad, excel sheet and/or a calculator to keep track of sales and prices to stay updated.

• Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what these people who would if they didn’t have the two addons to tell them what they should sell or buy their goods at. God forbid someone actually tries to buy or sell something outside their their stupid graphs and they lose it. Cracks me up when the sheep start posting their MM or TTC graphs when they get triggered about your sell or purchase prices.

Once back before One Tamriel and before TTC was around, in Malabal Tor someone posted a WTS for one of the blue racial motifs... 250g... I was only in zone for about 45 minutes after that but the whole time there was a 3-4 way argument over that price trying to rip off players because someone had a 230ish gold MM price.

I get not wanting to see people ripped off. But when people arguing or even just start posting multiple MMs and TTCs when the asking price is extremely close to what the other people are asking for without anyone asking for a PC... It just seems silly.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please clarify)
    It's a fair price if someone pays it. Otherwise it's too expensive. I haven't sold in zone chat since shortly after launch though.
    forever stuck in combat
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    Other (please clarify)
    For me an item sell price should be done by its rarity I usually go by 10 percent per rarity when I usually play MMOs that have a store option for players. Example if a item is worth lets say 10 septims common then 10 for green 10 septims plus 10 percent is then 11 septims then another 10 percent for green so 11septims plus 10 percent 12 septims then another 10 percent for blue which is then13 septims then another 10 percent for pruple another 10 percent 14 septims then another 10 percent which 16 septims. This allows the player to actually get money for his work and still keep prices somewhat low exclusion is made for items bought by actual cash input into the game. I usually add take how much money I put in and the amount of crowns I get divide the two. so if I put in 30 dollars that is about 3000 crowns so 3000 divided by 29.98 we will call it 30 for ease equals100 septims then the percent increases too around 80 percent increase per rarity.
    Green 180
    Blue 324
    Purple 584
    Orange 1050
    Most numbers are rounded up for ease of math as the game does not have anything less than 1 septim.
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is there some sort of upper and/or lower limit on zone-stated prices that will motivate you to post TTC data or your own MM data?
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    firedrgn wrote: »
    Fair is whatever you can work out and both people accept. Some will pay more than x some less. X is just a starting place

Exactly.

It think the OP is equating "fair" with "average".

If someone is willing to pay a price, even if it is high compared to the average, how is it "unfair"?
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

If someone is willing to pay a price, even if it is high compared to the average, how is it "unfair"?

Granted, a number of people have voted that they don't consider prices fair unless they're significant discounts to either their MM data or TTC data, so there's that.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I consider nothing a fair price unless it's being offered at a significant discount from current TTC listing data
    TTC keeps track of what items are listed for in guild stores and MM of what items have actually sold for. The problem with TTC is that it doesn't tell you what items actually sell for and the problem with MM is that the price is an average of a user-set time period so when something used to sell high and is now selling lower the MM price will be inflated (and viceversa of course for things that used to sell low and are now higher.).

And the problem with both is that they tend to be fairly accurate for items in high demand and not accurate at all for the more rare items. Neither of them is a definitive "fair" price for anything other than the most common items (mats.)

On top of that, selling through guild stores has a listing cost and a guild commission cost as well as the weekly membership many trading guilds charge. In order to pocket the same as you would get for selling something through a guild store the seller should discount it by at least 15% pf what MM and TTC indicate in zone chat and even then, take everything I said about the TTC and MM inaccuracies into account.

• Beamer_Miasma
    Beamer_Miasma
    ✭✭✭
    Other (please clarify)
    The only 'fair' price is the one buyer and seller agree on. As for what I'd be willing to buy from zone: MM price minus 10%, most of that because of the lack of guild tax, and a little for inconvenience. Obviously that would be my MM as I can't see theirs, and if the seller had a well filled MM database they probably wouldn't be selling on zone anyway.
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If both the seller and buyer are in the same zone, isn't zone a little *less* inconvenient, since the buyer doesn't have to search around in the traders for the item in question?
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I consider it a fair price if it reasonably follows expected market trends, even if it's above MM data or TTC listing data
    I'll buy in zone if it's something I need that is at a price comparable to what I'd normally pay. I have tried offering to buy in zone, at fair market rates + COD cost, things that noobs and non-traders might have, like alchemy mats. I rarely get takers. I think people are afraid it's a scam.

Once a week I visit every trader in game to stock up on the provisioning and alchemy mats I need, and I check for missing motif pages and recipes that are in a price range I am willing to pay. All those load screens are a pain. There are plenty of guild traders that barely have anything listed, but those are often the only places you'll find things like green furnishing diagrams for 500g and I'm not gonna care if it's 200% over my MM price. The pressure to keep up sales in a major trade guild while only having 30 listing spots means you gotta list stock that will move, at a price that keeps pace with your sales quota.

I know I use my social trader in one of those out of the way spots for armor pieces that people might want, but aren't super hot, because people might look them up on TTC. Not much else moves there unless it's the same materials I am shopping for. :'(

Shopping is inconvenient in the game, whereas if you are at a good guild trader, selling is not. I'd like to see the buying side of the equation get easier.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please clarify)
    A fair price is any offer that someone takes.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please clarify)
    when new events happen and we see new items or we see festival motifs out and new we allways sell these items for around 3000 to 5000 gold.
    seeing people in zone chat SPAMMING that MM and TTC prices and yelling in all CAPS and yelling in red text that they dont like those prices, now for 5 years makes life horrible for the rest of us.

MM and TTC should not be able to be used in zone chat and should be private for the user ONLY.
    and people yelling their so called "fair" prices in zone chat should not be able to interrupt and destroy sales.

allow us sellers to do what we want to in zone chat without the harassment.
    if you don't like what someone is selling an item for then too bad.

Edited by Gilvoth on September 30, 2018 4:34PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please clarify)
    A fair price is any offer that someone takes.

this^
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please clarify)
    dt wrote: »
    depends on whom i am selling it to, and what the item is.
    if it's Rare item or perhaps the person is Very rich and considers giving me a Large tip on the item that others do not normaly give.
    there are Many factors to take into consideration during a "fair" transaction, even if its conducted in zone chat.
    and on that rate to me, it would then be considered a "fair price"

this ^

Edited by Gilvoth on September 30, 2018 4:35PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please clarify)
    danno8 wrote: »
    firedrgn wrote: »
    Fair is whatever you can work out and both people accept. Some will pay more than x some less. X is just a starting place

Exactly.

this^
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please clarify)
    If you don't want to participate in a guild, then by definition, you're on your own.

If it cost you nothing, then what you sell it for doesn't matter.
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a fair price if it lines up with my own total MM data (no matter the time frame)
    Imryll wrote: »
    I tend to ignore offers in /zone because I figure that if it's a good offer it will have sold by the time I've researched the item. I don't buy many items from other players and when I do it's because I want something specific, generally within a pretty short timeframe. By offering the item in zone, the seller is timing the transaction at their convenience rather than mine and bypassing the cost of listing the item for sale. They would need to offer some sort of carrot to get me to drop what I'm doing to do business with them.

I tend to ignore 100 dollar bill lying on the ground because I figure that if it is lying there for no reason it will have been picked up by the time I came by it.
    You do know that this is a very old joke, don't you? Just an example when logical behavior is just a way to be lazy and secure. When you set rules by which you behave, you only limit your options

I consider a fair price is how much gold I would give if I really needed that item.

Anyway, even if I consider my monthly MM a fair price (most of the time it is above average since I always try to be a member of 3 or 4 Craglorn guilds and they have higher selling points for almost everything), I would buy from the zone chat only if item price is 10% below MM price or lower (because as was mentioned guild stores are more convenient and they have additional fee).
    PzTnT wrote: »
    I've played EvE in the past and thus don't trust anything being spammed in chat. If its a really good deal its probably a scam, if not then just get it off a guild trader without risking getting ripped off.

Good old EVE. Like you are not playing the game, but trying to avoid being scammed or killed or both. Unbelievable, how many ways there were to scam a person without even leaving Jita
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on September 30, 2018 11:23PM