The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shields Should Crit

Haashhtaag
Haashhtaag
✭✭✭✭✭
With allowing damage to crit on shields and shields having a 1 second cast time it is my opinion that upon casting your shields they should be able to crit as well thus granting you a much larger damage shield.

Increasing the duration does nothing in terms of making the shield better.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "No"
    -A Stamblade
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • VarisVaris
    VarisVaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agreee cause that cast time is horrible
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cast time or not, allowing damage shields to receive critical damage is unwise and it will ruin damage shields effectiveness in PVP.
    Though making damage shields being able to crit(granting stronger damage shields) may result in damage shields being too strong.

Overall, the recent damage shields balancing issue is a total chaos.
    Hopefully, ZOS will revert both the cast time and the critical damage to shields and adjust the damage shields in a more appropriate manner.
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a balance point of view with the recent changes changes to shield making them critable, shields should crit.
    The whole reason why they could not so far was b/c they couldn't be critted themselves. Enabling one without the other is simply unbalanced.

You can illustrate this with a simple equation:

damage mitigated = damage dealt

If the game is balanced both sides need to be equal to cancel each other out and the decisive factor for winning then becomes skill & luck.

However, if you increase the damage dealt by a crit multiplier ("crit") the equation will no longer hold:

damage mitigated =/= damage dealt * crit

damage mitigated < damage dealt

Every change made to shields on PTS so far has been poorly to cater the forum cry babies with l2p issues and an aversion to fair fights seeking only easy kills.

1) cast time is just far from reality
    2) giving shields resistences gives tanky heavy armor builds the strongest shields, making them even tankier
    3) making shields critable (see above)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, not all shields have a cast time.
    Second, and more importantly, the issue with the changes magicka based shields is not the crit part but the cast time.

The cast time alone makes shields very unusable most of the time so the crit factor is very much secondary.
  • shinikaze
    shinikaze
    ✭✭✭
    Galarthor wrote: »
    From a balance point of view with the recent changes changes to shield making them critable, shields should crit.
    The whole reason why they could not so far was b/c they couldn't be critted themselves. Enabling one without the other is simply unbalanced.

You can illustrate this with a simple equation:

damage mitigated = damage dealt

If the game is balanced both sides need to be equal to cancel each other out and the decisive factor for winning then becomes skill & luck.

However, if you increase the damage dealt by a crit multiplier ("crit") the equation will no longer hold:

damage mitigated =/= damage dealt * crit

damage mitigated < damage dealt

Every change made to shields on PTS so far has been poorly to cater the forum cry babies with l2p issues and an aversion to fair fights seeking only easy kills.

1) cast time is just far from reality
    2) giving shields resistences gives tanky heavy armor builds the strongest shields, making them even tankier
    3) making shields critable (see above)

Cast time is plain stupid. I agree on that, but, critiable shield / resistant shield makes other build viable against casters (crit / pen based build).

How about reducing battle spirit to 25% instead of plainly cuting shields by half. this wont nerf pve while bufing pvp. Is that fair?
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shinikaze wrote: »
    Cast time is plain stupid. I agree on that, but, critiable shield / resistant shield makes other build viable against casters (crit / pen based build).

How about reducing battle spirit to 25% instead of plainly cuting shields by half. this wont nerf pve while bufing pvp. Is that fair?

Name me one build that got more viable against casters b/c shields are now affected by resistences?

And what is gained from increasing shield size to compensate for the fact that shields can be critted while they cannot crit themselves thus breaking the equation above? At best you increase shield size by the exactly right amount that offsets the additional damage from crits. But that means nothing really changes to the current live version of the shields. More likely you will endup over- or underbuffing shields thus making them too strong or too weak b/c you did not find the exact right amount of additional shield strength. So why go through all this trouble and make things more complicated, risking to screw things up?
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Name me one build that got more viable against casters b/c shields are now affected by resistences?

And what is gained from increasing shield size to compensate for the fact that shields can be critted while they cannot crit themselves thus breaking the equation above? At best you increase shield size by the exactly right amount that offsets the additional damage from crits. But that means nothing really changes to the current live version of the shields. More likely you will endup over- or underbuffing shields thus making them too strong or too weak b/c you did not find the exact right amount of additional shield strength. So why go through all this trouble and make things more complicated, risking to screw things up?

Pretty much all builds that use bleeds, NBs, and etc
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shields can't crit.
    Why?
    Becouse there is no defile to lower them in the first place
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • Sy1ph5
    Sy1ph5
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »
    Shields can't crit.
    Why?

Major/Minor Defile is the counter to major/minor mending. There are no player buffs to increase shield size, therefore it is balanced that there are no debuffs to decrease shield size.
    Edited by Sy1ph5 on September 26, 2018 2:16PM
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sy1ph5 wrote: »
    Shields can't crit.
    Why?

Major/Minor Defile is the counter to major/minor mending. There are no player buffs to increase shield size, therefore it is balanced that there are no debuffs to decrease shield size.

Actually there is something - it's called magicka pool. It's stated nowhere in any tooltip, but it is there: More max magicka, the larger is the shield. Most players of sorcerers who know about this therefore choose "the mage" as their mundus stone in PvP.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kelces wrote: »
    Shields can't crit.
    Why?

Actually there is something - it's called magicka pool. It's stated nowhere in any tooltip, but it is there: More max magicka, the larger is the shield. Most players of sorcerers who know about this therefore choose "the mage" as their mundus stone in PvP.

You're making the wrong comparison. The poster you referenced was talking about buffs, not stat pools.

Yes, shields scale-off max mag. The same way heals scale-off max resources and damage. There's no asymmetry there.

In terms of buffs/debuffs, heals are boosted by vitality and mending, and reduced by defile. Shields are affected by neither, so once again there's no asymmetry.

When it comes to crits, however, shields can now be crit against, but cannot themselves crit for a larger shield size.

THAT is the comparison you should be making, and it clearly shows an asymmetric mechanic that disadvantages shields.

The whole point of the changes was to make "damage shields function more consistently with the rest of the game’s mechanics"—quoted verbatim from the PTS notes. So why follow-through with the process in a half-assed manner? That's not consistency. Why give shields only the drawbacks, but none of the strengths, with regard to the crit system?

Ass-backwards ZOS logic, that's why.
    Edited by TheYKcid on September 26, 2018 2:43PM
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Sy1ph5
    Sy1ph5
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kelces wrote: »
    Shields can't crit.
    Why?

I wasn't aware max magicka was a player buff I mean if you wanna count warhorn be my guest . Also better tell all my m8s that run the serpent and attro that thier idiots because this whole time they could have had 500 more shield if they just picked the right mundus. Can we get a counter to warhorn lads #counterwarhorn
    Edited by Sy1ph5 on September 26, 2018 2:43PM
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    shields receiving crit dmg is something we can talk about later, its not am immediate threat, keep test it see how it goes

if shields keep the one second cast time there unusable anyway
    Edited by ezio45 on September 26, 2018 3:53PM
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »
    "No"
    -A Stamblade

I can't wait until ZOS gets around to adjusting your class. I'm betting Everyone left playing is going to cheer and applaud.
  • Sy1ph5
    Sy1ph5
    ✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »
    shields receiving crit dmg is something we can talk about later, its not am immediate threat, keep test it see how it goes

The crit changes ignore the symmetry in buffs and debuffs that has existed since the start of the game it is an immediate balance threat. The cast time changes aren't really a balance change they are just the removal of shields as useful skills for LA characters. This thread is about the crit change so let's not talk about the cast time change. Also Valrien is just a a tired magsorc main let him be in peace.
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haashhtaag wrote: »

Pretty much all builds that use bleeds, NBs, and etc

You do realize that shields on live have a resistence of 0 ....
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I think the crit change has the potential of having just as huge an impact as the cast time.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an idea....but this would be an unpopular choice because we have had shields all along that allow shield users to dish out heavy damage. But i think they should scrap shields as we know it. Instead make them funtion more like 1 hand and shield skills. But instead of stamina use magica, much like blocking with a frost staff.
    step one scrap ice staff tanking.....revert to ice staff damage
    step 2 eliminate block casting for everything
    Step 3 make every current shield skill a burst of magica regen.
    step 4 make slotting a shield skill mean you can now block and use magica to do so, while Magica blocking it creates an impenetrable force field, AKA NO damage. Immune invulnerable...however you would not be able to attack while doing so, and you would drain magica as you did. if you hit that shiled skill first you would get that burst of regen to absorb more damage

This would make it so healers are still needed if you were struck when dropping block to attack.

I know every DD in the game that has be killing it so far will hate this, but thats what happens when you need to balance PvP and PvE at the same time.......so you could instead just break those to apart.....
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

I think the crit change has the potential of having just as huge an impact as the cast time.

The cast time could render the crit chance irrelevant.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only should shields crit, but the same CP that increases crit heals should ALSO increase crit shields!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Sy1ph5
    Sy1ph5
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have an idea....but this would be an unpopular choice because we have had shields all along that allow shield users to dish out heavy damage. But i think they should scrap shields as we know it. Instead make them funtion more like 1 hand and shield skills. But instead of stamina use magica, much like blocking with a frost staff.
    step one scrap ice staff tanking.....revert to ice staff damage
    step 2 eliminate block casting for everything
    Step 3 make every current shield skill a burst of magica regen.
    step 4 make slotting a shield skill mean you can now block and use magica to do so, while Magica blocking it creates an impenetrable force field, AKA NO damage. Immune invulnerable...however you would not be able to attack while doing so, and you would drain magica as you did. if you hit that shiled skill first you would get that burst of regen to absorb more damage

This would make it so healers are still needed if you were struck when dropping block to attack.

I know every DD in the game that has be killing it so far will hate this, but thats what happens when you need to balance PvP and PvE at the same time.......so you could instead just break those to apart.....

ZoS doesn't care for your suggestions they want feedback on the changes they make.

Damage shields aren't OP on live. shieldstacking isn't OP on live. Damage shields sound OP when described in a vacuum without considering how they the sorcerer class and magicka builds in general function in PvP.

People assume they know what ZoS wants to accomplish with a particular change but they don't only ZoS does. The only thing ZoS wants is to know if you think the changes they make are good ones.

And lastly no changes to survivability of dps will make healers more or less nessecary. Healers either add enough group dps through healer unique buffs and debuffs or the content is reworked to put less focus on dps. And what happened to play as you want why shove the trinity down our throats in four man content.
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shields being able to crit would not be a good change. That would be similar to allowing blocking to crit for more mitigation, or passive dodge chance, which they are removing. There is always asymmetry between defense and offense in this game. Defensive mechanics cost more, don't scale as well, and/or stop regen. That is because being offensive is incentivized. It is also like this in any competitive combat based sport. "Stalling" (or being excessively defensive) is punished.
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shields being able to crit would not be a good change. That would be similar to allowing blocking to crit for more mitigation, or passive dodge chance, which they are removing. There is always asymmetry between defense and offense in this game. Defensive mechanics cost more, don't scale as well, and/or stop regen. That is because being offensive is incentivized. It is also like this in any competitive combat based sport. "Stalling" (or being excessively defensive) is punished.

Block and Dodge are completely different concepts. They mitigate a relative amount of damage and do not have an upper limit. THAT'S the reason why they don't crit.

Shields are like heals and mitigate an absolute amount of damage and do have an upper limit. That's why heals can crit and why shields should be able to crit now that they can be critted.
  • IAVITNI
    IAVITNI
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Block and Dodge are completely different concepts. They mitigate a relative amount of damage and do not have an upper limit. THAT'S the reason why they don't crit.

Shields are like heals and mitigate an absolute amount of damage and do have an upper limit. That's why heals can crit and why shields should be able to crit now that they can be critted.

I normally don't agree with Galarthor [don't think I've explicitly stated this since it's mostly opinionated differences and our concerns hardly overlap] but DAAAAAAAMN.

Perfect explanation.

Why people even need this to be explained is beyond me.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like shield critical idea , lol .
    Good for my DK tank ~