The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

personal remarks on ZOS shield changes

visionality
visionality
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello ZOS,
I am one of the customers you dont care about - or actually want to get rid off - because I main a magsorc in PVP.
  • I read your patch notes
  • I tested your changes on PTS.
  • I gave you feedback on several feedback discussions.
  • I realized you do not care about or even laugh at your own customers.

Let me give you some feedback based on your own - shamefully lacking - state of feedback:
  • casttime on shields.
    Even that line is wrong. Most shields still have no casttimes. DK and tempar shields cast instantly. Healing wards cast instantly. Its specifically the shields magsorc-DDs require for survival that you destroy.
  • no interrupts on casttime for shields
    This is a new rumor from tonight. Ppl claim that you started backpedalling when too many ppl cancelled their subscription. So your new stance would be: Casttime goes live, but it will not be interruptable. Let me tell you: ***. I tested your "improvement"`on PTS. Under non-lag PTS conditions (which do NEVER happen on live) casttime-shields take 2-3 seconds to cast. You cannot animation-cancel them. You cannot reduce them to the ZOS-fantasy-time of 1 second. Casting one shield takes 2-3 seconds provided (a) you are still alive at the end of the cast and (b) nothing interrupts you in between. That 'nothing' includes enemy players attacking you and forcing you to block or roll dodge. Considering the utterly tasteless animation for "taking a dump" when casting a sorcerer ward, no enemy can be stupid enough to ignore the visuals. [snip]
  • Making shields critable and counter-balancing by adding resistances
    How stupid do you think your players are? If you make shields crittable, the counterbalance is "let them crit". Adding resistance to shields is only nice for ppl who dont need shields at all because - lo and behold! - they have high resistances (i.e. heavy armor). Any light armor player is sitting on LOW resistance. 6-12k, wherease 12k is th upmost level for any real DD in PVP. Any addional incoming damage is covered by shields. So - since you are obviously unable to grasp your own gaming mechanics - ppl use strong shields to cover up weak resistance. BUT (!): With your new mechanics, those weak resistances should cover up high critical damage.
    [Snip]

[edited title and post to remove inappropriate and bashing comments]
Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on September 21, 2018 3:26PM
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh it just doesnt make any sense. At least in Morrowind they nerfed all classes, but this patch is targeted at light armor users, despite the fact that heavy stamina classes are the meta in pvp. I do not expect devs to be professional gamers, they have class reps to provide them feedback from player's perspective.
    I've never seen a company that tries to balance the game based on vitriolic troll posts. I knew that ZOS is kinda out of touch with this game's community, but this is just extraordinary.

It's a freaking shame that these people are allowed to develop a TES game. They seem to enjoy pissing off even the most loyal fans.

The worst part is that they knew there's going to be a huge backlash. The new event and dlc giveaway are probably related to this - so that the player decline will look less sharp. I dont even understand how that might be worth it from economical perspective. They would obviously earn more in a long run by selling good dlcs and keeping players happy. After all, a happy player is more likely to buy cash shop stuff. But alas, they chose the worst way possible and are going to give away this new dlc, this house (most likely), and lose a certain amount of players on top of that. And why? Just to please forum trolls?
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on September 21, 2018 1:34AM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In regards to Templar, Dk and Warden 'Shield' they scale with Health not max magicka like Conjured an Annulment. and Healing ward requires a Resto staff slotted.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• Kinnahz
    Kinnahz
    ✭✭✭
    QQ

It's not only sorcs getting hit with this. All Mag users are. Only people being extremely vocal about it are the Sorcs because your extremely strong Class specific shield.
    Xbox Gamertag: KINNAHZ
    vHRC HM, vAA HM, vSO HM, vMoL HM, vHoF HM, vAS+2, vCR+3, EoF, SoTN, Oax HM, Lyl & Tur HM vDSA, Unchained, Flawless, Spirit Slayer
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinnahz wrote: »
    QQ

It's not only sorcs getting hit with this. All Mag users are. Only people being extremely vocal about it are the Sorcs because your extremely strong Class specific shield.

Im extremely vocal about this and I'm a templar ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Yes, this change affects more than just sorcs. There's already a ton of posts explaining why it's a bad change both pvp- and pve-wise.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on September 21, 2018 1:51AM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    QQ

Yes, this change affects more than just sorcs. There's already a ton of posts explaining why it's a bad change both pvp- and pve-wise. That's why it should be reverted.

I agree that the cast time sucks for all mag (especially on Annulment) and should not go live, but another measure should be taken for shields. either change bastion and/or lower the shield strength maybe, i would take these over a cast time.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    QQ

Yes, this change affects more than just sorcs. There's already a ton of posts explaining why it's a bad change both pvp- and pve-wise.

Same, I'm a templar main and I'm pissed because it's the same crap we've allways had to deal with.

IT''S TIME TO STOP. IT'S TIME TO STOP WITH THE BRAINDEAD DECISIONS, BLANKET NERFS AND CONTINUOUS CHANGING OF THE GAME DRASTICALLY EVERY FEW MONTHS.

Consistancy. LEARN IT.
  • Kinnahz
    Kinnahz
    ✭✭✭
    QQ

Yes, this change affects more than just sorcs. There's already a ton of posts explaining why it's a bad change both pvp- and pve-wise. That's why it should be reverted.

Ok.

It's not the best nerf, but we have seen 'Game breaking' nerfs before and here we are in 2018 still managing after huge sustain nerfs with Morrowind as a prime example.

Sure, they could definitely re work the skill, Perhaps increase the cost for each cast after initial cast as an alternative to this particular iteration. BUT it's ZoS. It's highly likely this will hit the live servers and we will just need to deal with it.
    vHRC HM, vAA HM, vSO HM, vMoL HM, vHoF HM, vAS+2, vCR+3, EoF, SoTN, Oax HM, Lyl & Tur HM vDSA, Unchained, Flawless, Spirit Slayer
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    QQ

Ok.

It's not the best nerf, but we have seen 'Game breaking' nerfs before and here we are in 2018 still managing after huge sustain nerfs with Morrowind as a prime example.

Sure, they could definitely re work the skill, Perhaps increase the cost for each cast after initial cast as an alternative to this particular iteration. BUT it's ZoS. It's highly likely this will hit the live servers and we will just need to deal with it.

Or you could have a little self dignity and decide to break from the game until it gets better like alot of people are doing.

At the very least dont give other people crap for deciding to vote with their wallet or give feedback ZOS is repeatedly asking for, even if they dont lisen to it.
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on September 21, 2018 1:59AM
  • Kinnahz
    Kinnahz
    ✭✭✭
    QQ

Ok.

Or you could have a little self dignity and decide to break from the game until it gets better like alot of people are doing.

Nah, I like the game and have many other Characters i can play. Good time to get out the stamplar i think.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    QQ

Ok.

Nah, I like the game and have many other Characters i can play. Good time to get out the stamplar i think.

You'll like it up until the same thing happens and you get tired and sick of it like us.

This'll be you eventually. Cant fight it.
  • SmackNCheese
    SmackNCheese
    ✭✭✭
    I have two days left of plus and I won't be renewing if shield changes ship live as is. Even with the non bashable casts it still feels like garbage to have to wait a second, there isn't a cast time leading cloak or dodgeroll or vigor, etc... The point is that I can understand some peoples anger at shield stacking and wanting them to be crit, and I think that change, while it does change the identity of a class that has stayed the same since launch, is not too far out of the ballpark. Perhaps the battlespirit shield nerf could be revisited and such, but the point is that the 1 second forcefully imposed upon sorcs and light armor users isn't shared by any other classes form of mitigation.
    NA Mag Player
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP isn’t much of a problem, it’s pve that’s got major issues, imagine they can’t get through vet trials except bringing in stam toons. It’s gonna happen I can see it.
    Pc na
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insightful speech.
  • NedicWildling
    NedicWildling
    ✭✭✭
    Hello ZOS,
    I am one of the customers you dont care about - or actually want to get rid off - because I main a magsorc in PVP.
    • I read your patch notes
    • I tested your changes on PTS.
    • I gave you feedback on several feedback discussions.
    • I realized you do not care about or even laugh at your own customers.

Let me give you some feedback based on your own - shamefully lacking - state of feedback:
    • casttime on shields.
      Even that line is wrong. Most shields still have no casttimes. DK and tempar shields cast instantly. Healing wards cast instantly. Its specifically the shields magsorc-DDs require for survival that you destroy.
    • no interrupts on casttime for shields
      This is a new rumor from tonight. Ppl claim that you started backpedalling when too many ppl cancelled their subscription. So your new stance would be: Casttime goes live, but it will not be interruptable. Let me tell you: ***. I tested your "improvement"`on PTS. Under non-lag PTS conditions (which do NEVER happen on live) casttime-shields take 2-3 seconds to cast. You cannot animation-cancel them. You cannot reduce them to the ZOS-fantasy-time of 1 second. Casting one shield takes 2-3 seconds provided (a) you are still alive at the end of the cast and (b) nothing interrupts you in between. That 'nothing' includes enemy players attacking you and forcing you to block or roll dodge. Considering the utterly tasteless animation for "taking a dump" when casting a sorcerer ward, no enemy can be stupid enough to ignore the visuals. And BTW: Thank you very much for your tasteless clue of your appreciation of the whole class.
    • Making shields critable and counter-balancing by adding resistances
      How stupid do you think your players are? If you make shields crittable, the counterbalance is "let them crit". Adding resistance to shields is only nice for ppl who dont need shields at all because - lo and behold! - they have high resistances (i.e. heavy armor). Any light armor player is sitting on LOW resistance. 6-12k, wherease 12k is th upmost level for any real DD in PVP. Any addional incoming damage is covered by shields. So - since you are obviously unable to grasp your own gaming mechanics - ppl use strong shields to cover up weak resistance. BUT (!): With your new mechanics, those weak resistances should cover up high critical damage.
      I try to put this politely: Even a 5 year old child can work out that something is very, very wrong in your calculation.

TLTR: ZOS destroys one of the game-defining classes with "improvements" that even a 5-year old can only laugh about.

It's been 3 going on 4 days since the PTS patch notes came out. This is the first pass of adjustments. Stop being ignorant and treating this like it's a change that is set in stone. Stop whining.

If this change is still left untouched after last pass of patch notes in about 2 weeks, then go for it. As for your Resistance comment, Oh no you might have to slot Boundless storm ... and maybe use a protective or two.... oh boy... I'd say almost all magicka classes slot it, the changes to light armor even Synergize well with it reducing the cost of sprint to allow for better LoS with the speed buff Boundless storm gives.

USE BOLD ON POINTS THAT ACTUALLY MATTER OK BAI
  • SenorCrouch
    SenorCrouch
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like ZoS is currently suffering from a case of Bungie-itus. Let's hope the plague doesn't become any more sever. But hey, at least ZoS has the gall to basically say, "Yeah we are reading your feedback, but clearly not paying it much mind." As opposed to Bungie who just said they were "listening".
    Edited by SenorCrouch on September 21, 2018 6:23AM
    "What's the cross roads of Alessia Castle? I am trying to get pizza delivered."
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still holding out for the curse-backpedal treatment..

A free shield after 8 seconds!
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.