Maintenance for the week of October 28:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 28, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

PVP opt out for Imperial City.

• Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neonisys wrote: »
    I know this will probably be not that popular, with PvP being in the atrocious dwindling state that it is, but some of us don't give a remote toss about PvP existing at all in the game. Hiding story content behind gank purposeless PvP is stupid and should never be the case in a game built around PvE like ESO is, give players the ability to opt out of any pvp, obviously forfeiting any and all bonuses.

Oh, and make it so that bloody boss protecting the strung up priest is at least balanced so pretty average players like me have a shot at not being obliterated over and over and over and over and over, there aren't any groups available to come help kill it now so that could do with a coat of looking.

PVP is fun, but agree, stealing tel-vars is a stupid mechanic in the current state of the game. Like it takes me 2-3 overload projectiles to kill a PVE player. That PVE player will not want to PVP in this game anymore...or do anything at all.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »
    Neonisys wrote: »
    I know this will probably be not that popular, with PvP being in the atrocious dwindling state that it is, but some of us don't give a remote toss about PvP existing at all in the game. Hiding story content behind gank purposeless PvP is stupid and should never be the case in a game built around PvE like ESO is, give players the ability to opt out of any pvp, obviously forfeiting any and all bonuses.

Oh, and make it so that bloody boss protecting the strung up priest is at least balanced so pretty average players like me have a shot at not being obliterated over and over and over and over and over, there aren't any groups available to come help kill it now so that could do with a coat of looking.

PVP is fun, but agree, stealing tel-vars is a stupid mechanic in the current state of the game. Like it takes me 2-3 overload projectiles to kill a PVE player. That PVE player will not want to PVP in this game anymore...or do anything at all.

Its true that its easy to kill PVE players. Its also true that if the PVE player had actually prepared for PVP, it wouldn't be quite so easy to kill them and hopefully they'd have a better experience.

Honestly, I died a lot when I was learning to PVP, but because I approached it as a learning experience, I had fun. Anyone who just wants to jump into a PVP zone with minimal preparation and do well at it immediately is going to be disappointed. It takes tine and practice to do well at PVP.

To put it another way, no one is at all surprised when new players try VMA for the first time during the Orsinium event and get wrecked. But there's lots of advice and builds they can use and with practice, VMA becomes easier. Same thing for PVP and Imperial City, except that learning how players fight is a lot harder than learning the VMA AI. PVE players can learn, practice and have a better experience in Imperial City, but its not going to happen easily in the middle of this event, nor without effort.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos decided long ago to not add a PvP toggle into the game when they chose to abandon having a PvP aspect for the justice system.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, as long as there are no bonuses, tel var, or achievements that were intended to be completed with the threat of PVP.

IC's main questline is pretty fun. But yeah, the Arena and Temple district boss fights are a difficulty spike compared to the other districts.

Really? That is not my recollection of what was 'intended' for IC. I recall that when IC was on the PTS, we were told about the 'locking mechanism' for the IC sewer entrances (although they hadn't turned on the locking mechanism yet). Although each faction would initially have access to enter IC via the sewer gate, that access was not absolute - it was dependent on having control over various parts of the map (Cyrodiil). In other words, there would be times when all factions could enter, times when a single faction would be locked out, and times when two factions would be locked out. When two of the three factions were locked out, that third faction got excusive access to IC. So long as your faction maintained exclusive control over the sewer entrances, anyone in that faction (pvp'er or a pve'er) could do whatever ... quest, get tel-var, open chests, etc., without the 'threat of pvp'. This, in effect, would have acted as a 'periodic anti-griefing' feature ... yes, I said 'would have' --

Unfortunately, short-sighted qq'ers complained in droves on the forums about this feature ... they didn't like the idea that they might not be able to access IC 24/7. Sadly, the qq'ers got what they wanted ... the gate-lock feature was pulled before it was even turned on, and was replaced with --- nothing.
    It's important to keep in mind that, back then, most players and content creators portrayed the sewers as the place where the 'care bears' went (pve'ers) and the districts where the pvp'ers went. And, to be quite honest, that was a fairly accurate portrayal of where the majority of the player base 'naturally' migrated to. Back then, the sewers and districts were full and very crowded (sewer ganking seldom occurred) and people were having a lot of fun! For a while, Cyrodiil got a little empty because of the number of pvp'ers in the districts. There was a lot of pvp action in the districts ... we were in groups fighting each other (similar to bridge fights without any siege), but in the midst of that you got entangled with mobs, sub-bosses, and a roaming boss that was tough as sh**. You fought at ground level outside and inside buildings, you had people atop buildings, perched on top of broken walls, and hidden in crevices. There could easily be 75-100 pvp'ers in one district alone. OMG was it ever a lot of fun!
    Another thing to keep in mind that IC was like an experiment ... it was the first (and only) time the developers placed a well developed and very immersive pve story/quest line in a pvp wrapper. Getting rid of the gate lock feature, IMO, is one of two main reasons that eventually lead to IC's downfall. I've discussed the two main reasons at length in other posts, so I won't reiterate both here.

Edited by Maryal on September 10, 2018 7:26PM
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    “I think that chocolate ice cream should taste like vanilla ice cream & that nobody should be allowed to eat chocolate anymore because I like vanilla.”

-These threads, also tiny babies.
  • mojomood
    mojomood
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, wow.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Imperial City was designed and marketed as a PVP/PVE DLC. Its obviously aimed at PVP players who enjoy PVE as well, and it came out at a time when ZOS still thought PVP was ESO's end game content. Plus the PVP community hadn't yet suffered years of attrition due to persistent performance issues. Making story content with PVP made sense back then, but there's a reason ZOS doesn't do that anymore.

Well said.

When I am doing the IC storyline (which I do enjoy), I try to get some friends who are at least willing to come along for the dailies, because it really can't be done solo.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • mabdastardseb17_ESO
    Ah a new set of armour just for pve tourists prehaps a gossamer type material shape left too your imagination that way those tender pvers could negotiate the imperial city without sustaining damage from those pvpers who choose to enter at same time.bless them
  • ShadowProc
    ShadowProc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to get better at the game just like pvpers do I don't just walk into Maelstrom Arena or dragonstar Arena I had to prepare for it and practice so why are you any different? I literally spent like 50 hours practicing Maelstrom Arena
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with this. IC is a stupid design that is basically a PvE farming zone, but with gankers. So if you are a ganker it's great. This game bends over backwards to cater to gankers, though. Idk if they buy a lot of crowns or what.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with this. IC is a stupid design that is basically a PvE farming zone, but with gankers. So if you are a ganker it's great. This game bends over backwards to cater to gankers, though. Idk if they buy a lot of crowns or what.

Pretty sure last trip a friend of mine and I just sat on a flag or walked around the middle of the streets farming TV stones from players, many of which attacked us first trying to do the same thing to us. That's not ganking.

If they catered to PVP players, they would let us buy perfected assylum weapons for TV stones or AP. They don't though. Similar for Imperial City sets, you have to expose yourself to PVP.
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem sounds like pvers don't like to lose or die. They want something, tv's, with no risk.

I've lost over 50k stones, who cares? Learn to lose and learn to pvp if you want to go to IC.

I also want a pve opt out for trials and dungeons
    Edited by MajBludd on September 15, 2018 11:16AM
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we have a PVP version of vet Maw of Lorkhaj then?
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • Eclipse0990
    Eclipse0990
    ✭✭✭
    Others have stated this enough. But really you don't even need to learn to PvP for IC. Just get some impen gear with self heals and shields. Once you learn to survive the initial blast, rest comes naturally.
    But yes, asking for PVE mode in a PVP zone is not something PVP loyalists would look upon kindly.
    PvP players are forced to have a pve build for getting that one skill point from that hard dungeon too. They do not get PVE zone drops/achievements/skill points easily so this should be fair for everyone.
    Raid leader for Undead Nuns (DC-EU-KaalWhaterveritscallednowdays)
  • catfedfarsil
    Sadly, the more I read stuff like this, the more I think that some pvp likers are only great egos and aggressive frustrations. You act as cyrodill is really yours, feel superior, insult, and all that kind of ***... Muahauha see all the pvp keyboard heros !!

Stop now, you OverNerd, I think you have to remind ESO is a game, and everyone has the right to ask what he likes more.
    And, btw, don't you feel the nonsense of the alliance war ? I think you have choose the WRONG game, go YOU off of Tamriel, for some CallOfDuty or other kill'em all keyboard hero.

*sigh* While their response was overly antagonistic, I absolutely understand it. All but two zones are PvE-only. Two whole PvP zones... that's it. That's all. The overwhelming majority of this game is available for players like yourself. PvPers wait years for bug fixes, get little to no DLC attention, and struggle with performance issues that make the PvE performance woes look like heaven by comparison.

Basically, PvP-oriented players have very little content that they get to call their own. So yeah, you're going to make people grumpy when you suggest that one of the very few elements of the game they're invested in and care about should be redesigned to fit your desires, when you literally have the rest of the game you get to enjoy.

I guess to return the sentiment of the OP, speaking as a PvE and PvP player: I really don't give a remote toss if you and other PvE-only players get rolled trying to quest in IC or Cyrodiil. Either put in the time and effort to learn how to PvP like the rest of us did, or go enjoy the vast majority of the game that was built for your play style and leave those of us who enjoy PvP in peace.

That is the proper way to discuss, thank you. I understand and agree 90% with your points.
    I myself do some little PVP and I enjoy, the battefield, the runs, the epic coral actions.
    [btw, I think ganking PVP players are poor person in reality and really bad PVP players in the game.]
    Basically what I like most of course is PVE for the simplest reason: having played almost all Elder Scroll previous game, in which the lore and the stories MAKE sense. They are Great Stories to be in.
    It's not bullying or be "hard" or "win", but it is beautiful RolePlaying.
    But, only for the sake to justify the new PVP mood, but in a poor way, IMHO, ESO is about "Alliances War".
    >>[Role Playing Mode ON]
    And , the Alliance War really sucks! It is pure nonsense, [If I were in Tamriel - really -] I fiercely try to STOP the idiotic Kings and Queen to fight each other, and make a real Alliance against Manimarco, the only real enemy in Tamriel. As the fighter and mages guilds do, and as in the main story is (little) be done.
    >>[Role Playing Mode OFF]
    So for this online game, they tried to mix PVP and PVE, it went out now quite good as PVE, but poor as PVP. SO the people get angry.. poor pvper's.
    For me, as others already said in the past years, the solution should probably be to have SEPARATE servers.
    You choose which, every login : ALL Tamriel PVP. ALL Tamriel PVE. Everybody win.
    My guess? PVP server almost empty....