The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Deserter Penalty Too Harsh

Valrien
Valrien
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I had to log out of the game to fix a bug where I was alive, but could not hit anything and no one could see me (basically I was like a ghost). A party member told me to relog...so I did and now I can't queue for a battleground for 20 minutes.

Can we not get like a grace period to log back in or something?
Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Shezzarrine
    Shezzarrine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the amount of crashes this game had, the penalty is absolutely too much, I get they don't want people leaving matches but I bet that most people who get the penalty got it for something other than leaving willfully.
  • JesQu
    JesQu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta agree with this. I got kicked off the game once for no reason and got 20min penalty.
  • Aleraon
    Aleraon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only recently started doing battlegrounds and I have to say I agree with the above posts. The amount of times I've been ported into a random battleground and waited for 10 minutes only for nothing to happen, then had to wait a further 20 minutes before being able to try again is ridiculous
    (EU/AD) CP501 Razum-dah - Khajiiti Templar Healer
    (EU/AD) CP501 J'Kara Silverclaw - Khajiiti Dragonknight tank
    (EU/AD) CP501 Rajhiin - Khajiiti stamina Nightblade
    (EU/AD) CP501 Draven Corvillian - Breton magicka Nightblade
    (EU/AD) CP501 Sinderian Nightflame - High Elf magicka sorcerer
    (EU/AD) CP501 J'zargo Silverclaw - Khajiit stamina Templar
    (EU/AD) CP501 Ariella Nightshade - High Elf Magicka Nightblade
    (EU/AD) CP501 Ri'shada - Khajiit Stamina Sorcerer
    (EU/AD) LVL29 Valeon Indoril - Dark Elf Magicka Dragonknight
    *The Queen stole this one's moonsugar candies lol*
  • jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    20 minutes without battlegrounds. Disgrace!
    "Yesterday while searching a barrel in vVoM I found a lemon. Best drop of the whole run."

Protect the weak. Heal the sick.
    Treasure the gifts of friendship. Seek joy and inspiration in the mysteries of love.
    Honor the Earth, its creatures, and the spirits. Use Nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power. Fear her fury.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Last 10 points of the match my team is doing amazing all solo que people even scores I get kicked from game. Log back in hit with the penalty and didnt get the win. It's really just to much.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copying this from the other 4 threads on the forums:

I played in a duo. Got placed against a 3-man premade. The 3 premade ragequit because they lost badly.
    The 20 minute deserter penalty is well-deserved. You shouldn't suddenly leave a BG, especially since the 4v4v4 is so important in most cases. Losing one player is rly destructive for the team.

(The BG also closed shortly after, because there weren't enough players in the BG. Does that seem fair to you? That the BG closes for everyone else, just because some people cant handle losing?)

The only time I could agree to not get a deserter penalty - is if you'd get disconnected to login-screen or something. But except that - any force close of the game/disconnect(Pulling the plug) or ragequit *should* have severe penalty.

Too bad innocent gets affected(I've too disconnected from Battlegrounds and gotten the penalty) but i rather wait 20 minutes to queue up again, than to have to deal with ragequitters that can ragequit every BG without any consequenses.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I played in a duo. Got placed against a 3-man premade. The 3 premade ragequit because they lost badly.
    The 20 minute deserter penalty is well-deserved. You shouldn't suddenly leave a BG, especially since the 4v4v4 is so important in most cases. Losing one player is rly destructive for the team.

(The BG also closed shortly after, because there weren't enough players in the BG. Does that seem fair to you? That the BG closes for everyone else, just because some people cant handle losing?)

The only time I could agree to not get a deserter penalty - is if you'd get disconnected to login-screen or something. But except that - any force close of the game/disconnect(Pulling the plug) or ragequit *should* have severe penalty.

Too bad innocent gets affected(I've too disconnected from Battlegrounds and gotten the penalty) but i rather wait 20 minutes to queue up again, than to have to deal with ragequitters that can ragequit every BG without any consequenses.

So relogging is bad, yes? One should never ever fix a bug that is detrimental to their gameplay?

The fact that you even get kicked immediately if you go offline is ludicrous with how often the game crashes and disconnects, let alone banned from BGs for 20 minutes.

I guarantee the number of people who "ragequit" is far lower than the number of people who disconnect for no apparent reason. The ragequitting is honestly a non-issue.

Yeah, it sure does suck that the Battleground closes when not having enough people...but you're not gonna run into many premades who can't handle losing. Too many innocents get punished compared to the people who deserve it.
    Edited by Valrien on August 29, 2018 11:28AM
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said, I rather have innocents punished, than let ragequitters do the same over and over again. And it's not just premades quitting, also solo-players frequently quit. It's too easy to leave the BG early.

And no, it's not ludicrous. Losing 1 member of a BG-team, in a fast-paced game where there's a maximum 15 minute of game-time, is crucial. It's like playing 4v5 in a ranked game of League of Legends. You will rarely, if ever, win against that. Because the equality in numbers *do*matter.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As I said, I rather have innocents punished, than let ragequitters do the same over and over again. And it's not just premades quitting, also solo-players frequently quit. It's too easy to leave the BG early.

And no, it's not ludicrous. Losing 1 member of a BG-team, in a fast-paced game where there's a maximum 15 minute of game-time, is crucial. It's like playing 4v5 in a ranked game of League of Legends. You will rarely, if ever, win against that. Because the equality in numbers *do*matter.

The thing is, most of those innocents intend to come back.

You can talk and talk all day about rage quitters, but they are simply not a prevalent population. Besides, it's not like the punishment actually stops rage quitting. People will still do it, they just get punished after the fact after they have already screwed over the people in the BG
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if you didn't get the penalty for being disconnected. It's only happened a few times but it's super annoying to get kicked from the game and get a 20 minute penalty.
    Especially when you team is 10 points away from winning.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »
    I had to log out of the game to fix a bug where I was alive, but could not hit anything and no one could see me (basically I was like a ghost).
    I understand your frustration, but as long as the game didn't recognize you as logged out, you should have waited until the battle was over. Your party was aware of your situation, so for better or worse, they had to complete without you.

I don't dispute your issue. Been there myself (actually got knocked into a wall), but rather than quit and face the penalty, I stayed where I was and texted my group what happened.

No one held it against me, which tells me quite a few have probably experienced glitches too.

But never quit, if you can avoid it.

• Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    I had to log out of the game to fix a bug where I was alive, but could not hit anything and no one could see me (basically I was like a ghost).
    I understand your frustration, but as long as the game didn't recognize you as logged out, you should have waited until the battle was over. Your party was aware of your situation, so for better or worse, they had to complete without you.

I don't dispute your issue. Been there myself (actually got knocked into a wall), but rather than quit and face the penalty, I stayed where I was and texted my group what happened.

No one held it against me, which tells me quite a few have probably experienced glitches too.

But never quit, if you can avoid it.

I've had very limited experience with BGs and never even knew that quitting would lead to an immediate kick and harsh punishment.

My glitch was that one of the addons I regularly play with got disabled somehow (I think the latest patch made it outdated or some such) and I reloaded my UI after I died...when I loaded back in, I was alive and well but I could not attack anyone and I suspect that the enemy teams could not see me because they didn't even attempt to attack me
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Twice today my app crashed in the middle of a battleground and I got hit with a deserter penalty. It's honestly unacceptable that I am literally being penalized for the terrible lag issues of the game/server. Is there no way on ZOS end to tell when your app crashes versus when you deliberately exit a game? Why would this not be something they put effort into addressing? I'm truly starting to feel like I've been scammed.
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to log out of the game to fix a bug where I was alive, but could not hit anything and no one could see me (basically I was like a ghost). A party member told me to relog...so I did and now I can't queue for a battleground for 20 minutes.

Can we not get like a grace period to log back in or something?

I sympathize, but deserters are already a fairly common problem, especially in battlegrounds. So any alleviation to the penalty would probably just make a bad problem worse.
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    delete
    Edited by Finviuswe on September 12, 2018 3:52AM
  • seherrons
    seherrons
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who regularly gets smacked in the face with the deserter penalty after a game crash/disconnect (thank you very much Error CE-34878-0) during BGs, I have to say that I strongly agree that the penalty shouldn't be given to those who have been forced into a logout because of a crash, bug etc. It's annoying and what's more really doesn't feel fair, especially if the situation was out of your control to start with. I sympathise wholeheartedly with you OP and I would also prefer a grace period to log in and get back into the match or join a new one.

That being said, I also agree with others here that those who leave willingly or because they've ragequit are fully deserving of the penalty, because that's just poor form and a show of poor character. All in all it's a tricky situation and it sucks either way no matter how you look at it :(

borderlinesakura on PS4 EU | CP780+

My Fancy Freedom Fighters:
    • Silaena Arethi | DPS | Dark Elf Magicka Dragonknight | EP
    • Raharri | DPS | Khajiit Stamina Warden | AD
    • Jinala at-Azeth | DPS | Redguard Stamina Nightblade | DC
    • Andur Revas | DPS | Dark Elf Magicka Sorcerer | EP
    • Marianne Chauvry | Healer | Breton Magicka Templar | DC
    • Adrian Attius | Tank | Imperial Stamina Warden | DC
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a pragmatic problem here. There's no real way to distinguish between a "legitimate" disconnect, and someone pulling the plug. In both cases, the client stops responding, but there's no real way for the server to determine cause if the connection simply terminates. Alt-F4ing is a little different, and forcing a process stop is potentially detectable, but someone pulling the plug? That's going to return identical data to someone where their ISP decided to give them the middle finger.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too little Penalty - "What, the fight is going against me? F*** my team, I'm out..."

Average Penalty - "Waaah, I have to wait 20 minutes..."

I mean, its only frigging 20 minutes! Do a daily or something, then BG again!

Or, seeing how this is ZOS... woulde you like to see a "BG penalty reset token" in the crown store for a mere 500 crowns? :p:trollface:
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Too little Penalty - "What, the fight is going against me? F*** my team, I'm out..."

Or, seeing how this is ZOS... woulde you like to see a "BG penalty reset token" in the crown store for a mere 500 crowns? :p:trollface:

20 minutes too long when you are forcefully disconnected with the intent to reconnect
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only leave battlegrounds when the group matching module bugs, and I wait for 10-15 mins to see if anyone else is added to the group. Usually this happens when there is only one player in one of the teams. Two days ago, one team was empty, so we waited like 15 mins, then deserted. 20 mins is to much considering the problems with the system.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

20 minutes too long when you are forcefully disconnected with the intent to reconnect

Exactly. Any penalty is too long when you’ve been disconnected from server and haven’t INTENTIONALLY done the thing you’re being penalized for.
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just love when you sit 30 minutes in the starting area of the arena and the BG just doesn’t start, then you leave and go to Cyro and don’t get any AP there for 15 minutes either. Awesome.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a 20 min ure deserter penalty for a crash in bg. When logged back in I went to cyrodiil until timer was up but I couldn't earn AP for my kills.
    I never knew deserter makes it so you can't earn AP at all.
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the winning BG team, running for the daily random reward.
    1 minute before the countdown ended, the game crashed on PS4.
    I did not only receive no reward, I also received deserter penalty.

Users should not be penalized as "deserters" for ESO crashes.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    weedgenius wrote: »

Exactly. Any penalty is too long when you’ve been disconnected from server and haven’t INTENTIONALLY done the thing you’re being penalized for.

But how can the game tell if it was an intentional or unintentional dc?

That's the problem. I don't think anyone here would object to removing the penalty if there was a way to identify it wasn't an intentional disconnect.
    Edited by Jeremy on September 12, 2018 4:40PM
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man you guys will complain about anything. You obviously never played Overwatch. If you have repeated disconnects during a match, you can run the risk of being banned from game for 24 hours. Cry us a river!!!
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mintaka5 wrote: »
    Oh man you guys will complain about anything. You obviously never played Overwatch. If you have repeated disconnects during a match, you can run the risk of being banned from game for 24 hours. Cry us a river!!!

Try World of Tanks, they'll perm ban you on first offense if your account isn't Russian
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    weedgenius wrote: »

But how can the game tell if it was an intentional or unintentional dc?

That's the problem. I don't think anyone here would object to removing the penalty if there was a way to identify it wasn't an intentional disconnect.

The game has a crash reporter, plus if your team is 1st or 2nd place, you're not going to have a reason to disconnect so by extension it's safe to say that there should be no penalty for people who DC in 1st or 2nd place
    Edited by Valrien on September 12, 2018 5:12PM
  • drkfrontiers
    drkfrontiers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yip my game crashed three times this week mid-Battle XD - I'm NO DESERTER!!! LOL
    "One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star."
    ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is you are found guilty even when you are innocent. That is the problem. Everybody shouldnt be found guilty just because some leave the match willingly. And yes people with busy lives, the 20 minutes is a big deal. Many people only have time for 1 BG a night.