Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do people "play the market"?

Octopuss
Octopuss
✭✭✭✭✭
Could anyone explain how are people able to make millions a week to me? Every time I asked, I either didn't get an anwer, or people said "oh, you gotta play the market", like it was some colossal secret conspiracy theory.
I don't understand it. I just want it explained with some examples, because most I EVER managed to make was one million, and I was buying rawmats for like 5+ hours a day and selling the refined improvement components (which have since dropped in value to ridiculous levels, making it completely pointless and waste of time). Basically, I was doing nothing but running from a trader to trader, feeling like killing myself, busting my ass off and not really playing at all. And I only made a million.

So what do people do?
And please don't tell me "buy low sell high", because that doesn't explain anything.
  • Dont_do_drugs
    Dont_do_drugs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just dont do it.

Get Stuff like this (but not this stuff)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"I have too admit. People leading trade guilds in this game are quite stupid. Not stupid like fools, but stupid like leaders.
    They can only bla-bla and waste gold on feeding their ego. I am disappointed."

Egal, wie gut du Schach spielst, die Taube wird alle Figuren umwerfen, auf das Brett kacken und herumstolzieren, als hätte sie gewonnen.

Arkadius Trade Tools
    Modular framework, now open for authors who want to add own tabs.

My Donation (Arkadius' Trade Tools Addon)
    First external ATT tab contribution.

Port to Friend's House Addon
    Check out the new Port to Friend's House library and port to contributers houses:
    Deutsch | English

• dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    And please don't tell me "buy low sell high", because that doesn't explain anything.

What doesn't that explain? It explains exactly what people sometimes do.

There can be many different ways of playing the market, same with the real world market. For example, you can try and find someone who is willing to sell you items/mats in bulk at a slight reduced cost, but the added benefit that they can sell them to you instantly without having to waste time trying to sell to the public. You can then spend your time selling this on.

You can spend your time searching for items on guild stores that are under market price (people trying to get a quick sale, or do not know how much something is worth) and then sell it on at a higher price.
    Edited by dan958 on August 28, 2018 11:53AM
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spend an hour going around every trader you can find & average out the prices stuff sells at (e.g. temp 10, this motif 30k, that motif 5k). Then go around every trader & hunt for these items below market price, buy them, then sell at market price.

Find someone with more telvar than they know what to do with, buy a crap tonne of silk or hakeijo from them (10k telvar/s silk, 5k telvar per hak) then sell them on.

I made 200k in about an hour from buying hakeijo for 5k ea from someone, then selling them off at 9k ea. (Took 10 minutes to buy and list/advertise).
    Edited by Sparr0w on August 28, 2018 11:58AM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, but there are hunndreds if not thousands of items on each trader. Just going through one could take hours. Or do people simply filter out those purple and better deals in AGS?
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, but there are hunndreds if not thousands of items on each trader. Just going through one could take hours. Or do people simply filter out those purple and better deals in AGS?

Yeah, get an addon like AwesomeguildStores, search for an item/item type and set the price.
  • Dont_do_drugs
    Dont_do_drugs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this practices are pretty annoying and old meanwhile. since everyone is giving those advices and everyone wants to be a powerseller and market player, the guild stores are pretty fast ripped of their underpriced stuff. if u want to get grey hair, u go into "pro"trading, if u want to play the game, u just give 0f - its not like ure poor, if ure not trying to be a powerseller.

Get Stuff like this (but not this stuff)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"I have too admit. People leading trade guilds in this game are quite stupid. Not stupid like fools, but stupid like leaders.
    They can only bla-bla and waste gold on feeding their ego. I am disappointed."

Egal, wie gut du Schach spielst, die Taube wird alle Figuren umwerfen, auf das Brett kacken und herumstolzieren, als hätte sie gewonnen.

Arkadius Trade Tools
    Modular framework, now open for authors who want to add own tabs.

My Donation (Arkadius' Trade Tools Addon)
    First external ATT tab contribution.

Port to Friend's House Addon
    Check out the new Port to Friend's House library and port to contributers houses:
    Deutsch | English

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Check out-of-the-way traders (either directly or via an addon) for good deals. Resell them on popular traders.

Buy "expensive" items during a relative crash (motifs during anniversary event, for example), horde them for a few months, resell when they go back up in price. Requires lots of capital and storage, though, and can be risky.

I know of one case of someone putting their mind to it and cornering a material market, forcing a slight markup on that specific material, and making some money--but they were spending like 8 hours a day and had over 10 million gold to go about it...and I don't even think they ended up making that much gold.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need an Add On. Us console traders don't have any.

Just understand what's selling right now.

- new stuff! Post summersst / still that's Jewelry stuff, motifs each patch from new / hard dungeons etc
    - have a feel for core item prices. Say Wax is on average 7k each on traders and you see some for 4k buy em and list for 7k. Or say someone says 10 wax for 60k in zone chat get a loan, buy them, pay back loan, make 10k.

It's basic economics. Find the stuff that's hot in the moment, get it free (farm) or cheap (deals) and sell it for more.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    You don't need an Add On.

That is why it is called an 'Add-on' ;)
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Filter it based on time to expire. Don't even look at the items that are not marked with 30 days remaining. It is time consuming, so it's not for everyone because you'd rather do X than play the market.

EDIT: Blobeso has a video on it. Click-baits aside, it's a good video. It's from one year ago but it's still valid.
    Edited by Nevasca on August 29, 2018 8:32PM
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People aren't going to reveal any real working secrets or they won't work anymore. Do like real traders do in real life. Some methods are available to you and others are not. Use what is available to you and make money. You're not going to start by making millions a week.

Just like in real life, most investors don't have the capital to push a stock price up and down and trigger clusters of stop orders. Nor do they have access to the order books to know where the clusters are to make stock price chart jump around. The chart itself creates a psychology that moves the market on its own momentum after you start it with your billions you dump into manipulating price. Simply the slope of the line causes emotion. And moving the price around a few percent over the course of a month causes boredom and option contracts to expire worthless. But I digress.

Point is that it's a complex topic you're never going to be given a truly useful answer to. You can't even really define the question. You have to work with what you have.

For example: You could get enough money to buy all of one type of crafting material in the game. Most all of it. You will drive the price way up until supply catches up with demand and as it goes up, you can start selling it a little at a time at increasingly higher prices. Or you can dump all of it back onto the market at a really low price and drive the price way down. Do it at only exclusive trade kiosks, and then you've increased profits for others that use that kiosk for other items just based on foot traffic alone.

Things are different in this game compared to real life stock trading due to unlimited vs limited supply.

But as always, it takes money to make money. If you can't manipulate the price as described above, maybe wireshark the TTC addon and see if you can send phony data and screw with that system. This is also similar to real life criminal activity that surrounds all markets.

Money is based on usury and to convince people to trade real useful resources for useless fiat currency. Usury is then performed on most of the populace. And you can try to avoid it in your country, and you'll probably be bombed to oblivion by other nations in the central banking cartel.

Forget everything else you were told and taught about money and debt. Money is debt. Wealth is debt. The real rich control the natural resources. Point is, money is born of evil. So the whole point is that you will make money once you throw your morals and ethics out the window.

But it's just a game with unlimited resources and money supply. But even still, I've noticed that the game population at large gets very offended by the real methods used to make lots of in-game gold. Naturally, because they're generally unethical. This is also why your question is a non-starter. It's only going to welcome dudes in green dollar sign suits trying to sell you books explaining all the secrets to getting rich quick.

/rant.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great example of Buy Low Sell High:

A few months ago, I manually went through every trader in the game and bought every inferno and lightning Necropotence and Mother's Sorrow stave that was priced under 30K. In total, I spent around 1.5M and bought around 50 staves of various traits.

The bad traited items, precise, training, decisive, etc, I relisted at 35-40K depending on how bad the trait was.
    I relisted sharpened traited staves at 55K and I relisted the infused at 65-70K.

So far I have sold all but a few of those staves. And I have made nearly 2.5M off of them. That is around a 1M gold profit.

And that is what flipping is. Some people don't know the value of things. A few of those infused staves I flipped for 65K gold only cost me 10K to buy.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL complains about making a million. I can barely make a few thousand. I wouldn't be complaining about not being able to make money because if you can make a million you are doing so much better than me. :)
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could anyone explain how are people able to make millions a week to me? Every time I asked, I either didn't get an anwer, or people said "oh, you gotta play the market", like it was some colossal secret conspiracy theory.
    I don't understand it. I just want it explained with some examples, because most I EVER managed to make was one million, and I was buying rawmats for like 5+ hours a day and selling the refined improvement components (which have since dropped in value to ridiculous levels, making it completely pointless and waste of time). Basically, I was doing nothing but running from a trader to trader, feeling like killing myself, busting my ass off and not really playing at all. And I only made a million.

So what do people do?

A guild mate is a retired gentleman that worked in several aspects of the financial sector through his career. He has all kinds of free time to play the game and for him the most fun part of the game is flipping items in the guild store. There isn't some secret being kept from you. People making millions are spending hours of their time in game doing that one thing. Just like the people getting on the leader boards consistently are spending hours and hours getting better at running trials and all that fun stuff. They picked one part of the game to concentrate on and took (are taking) the time to get better at it.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed yesterday in motd of the guild I am in that the best seller made 18 friggin millions last week. That is absolutely surreal to me.
  • Xerge
    Xerge
    ✭✭✭
    You're not going to get an answer because economics are competitive by nature. You can actually google the subject and plenty of material should come up; its a transferable skill to games with player economies.

Literally buy items for cheap and sell higher. There's always a steep learning curve to catching onto games' market and player habits but if you engage yourself you will learn. All games have their own tools (addons usually) that assist heavily in the buying/selling market.

TL;DR It is something you learn to do and comes with experience. You just haven't picked up on it yet. Keep at it as this is one of the more interesting markets. No one can tell you to go buy X for Y amount at Z location. These are all decisions that you learn to make.
    Edited by Xerge on September 5, 2018 6:30PM
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's how that annoying guy Jason something or other ended up selling stocks and annoying the hell out of me on u-tube advertisements. He began by playing ESO and moved to stocks.
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on September 5, 2018 7:13PM
  • PouletRico
    PouletRico
    ✭✭✭
    I don't need millions, but when I need some gold to make potions/buff food/tempers, I go buy Dawn-Prism from the Cyrodil vendor (@100k AP/unit) and sell them in guild store. APs are easy to farm, and Dawn-Prism sells good.
    @PouletRico - EU PC Megaserver
    PouletRico - TankDK - EP
    Experimental Kamikaze - StamDK - AD

I'm doing my best, but I'm not a native speaker
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just do writs and surveys for gold mats and sell those. I sell at the nearest round number to the MM value out of laziness and things move pretty quickly. I know at least one person buys up all of my Kuta and very likely resells for higher. It doesn’t bother me because I’m comfortable in game with what I have and kudos to them for getting a return on their purchase. I also do master writs and do well selling crafting stations. But only when the choice is between doing the master writ and definitely having enough for a crafting station or selling the excess stack. I also craft rare furnishings and they sell quite well.

None of these activities take up a lot of time and they’re all very easy to do. It’s a good little way to earn some gold that adds up fairly quickly.
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    Mash the buttons, hope for the best!
    I have some achievements