The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How are 'Resources' restored when performing a Heavy Attack?

Avran_Sylt
Avran_Sylt
✭✭✭✭✭
Is it from the duration of 'rest' during the Heavy Attack?
Is it somehow siphoning it from the enemy?

What's the Thematic tie to it?
Edited by ZOS_Volpe on February 11, 2022 1:28PM

Best Answers

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is just a mechanic of the game. It was never explained and not really very significant how. It is a fantasy game after all.
    Answer ✓
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's same kind of inexplicable mysterious magic that gives us more health and stamina and magicka the more different armor types we wear. ^^ Brutally arbitrary, logic-defying magic at work in Tamriel. ^^
    Answer ✓
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're looking for a lore reason, there isn't one.

If you're looking for a functional reason, it's mostly a result of lack of creative thinking, especially when medium attacks lose DPS and grant zero resources.

It's the weaponized version of focusing your Chi, I suppose, with the increased duration of the channel somehow attributing to the return (because increasing recovery during the channel would have been far too easy).
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Answer ✓
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get ressource on heavy attack when the attack is fully charged and successfully hit.

Heavy attack ressource gain is based on the lengh of the attack, the more slow the attack is, the more ressource the attack give.

Here is the base value of heavy attacks with no passive modifier :
    • Bow HA: 2724 Stamina
    • Dual Wield HA : 1667 Stamina
    • 2H HA :2426 Stamina
    • 1H&S HA : 2014 Stamina
    • Fire/Frost staff HA : 2823 Magicka
    • Shock staff HA: 3633 Magicka
    • Restoration staff HA : 3219 Magicka (note there is a 30% more ressource passive that can be added with Cycle of life) : 4184 magicka
    • Werewolf HA : 1617 Stamina (note there is a 100% more ressource passive that can be added with Pursuit) : 3234 stamina

If your ennemy block (for channeled only the last tick need to be blocked) or dodge (channeled resto and shock aren't dodgeable) your heavy attack, you don't get the ressources from it.

You can further increase the heavy attack ressource gained by wearing 5 pieces of heavy armor (Revitalize passive, 25% more ressource), by putting CP in the Tenacity start (up to 25%) or by wearing a set like Ulfnor's Favor (5 pieces give you 30% more ressource on heavy attack).

There is a mechanic that's bound to heavy attack which is called "off balance".

Ways to proc off balance :
    • The most commun way is with the Tactician CP passive when you put 120 points into the atronach : "When you use Roll Dodge to dodge an attack, you set the enemy Off Balance."
    • With abilities like Flame Lash if you strike an ennemy that's stunned or immobilize, Blockade of storm if the ennemy is concussed and surprise attack if you touch ur ennemy while being sneaky or invisible.
    • Interrupting a ennemy hwo cast a spell/rez when he doesn't have CC immunity with a bash or with Crushing shock/Scatter shot/Deep breath or a regular stun will set up the ennemy off balance (as well as stunning him).
    • Blocking a NPC melee Heavy Attack set up the mob off balance.

Here is how work off balance :
    • It last 5s
    • Using a heavy attack (fully charged or just a little) on a non blocking and non dodged ennemy (work on doding target for the channeled resto and shock heavies) stun the ennemy for X s and consume the off balance status (doesn't consume off balance of boss since they are immune to crowd control effects.
    • Fully charged heavy attack make 70% more damage on off balance target.
    • Heavy attack restore 100% more ressource on off balance target
    • The Exploiter CP unlocked at 75 point in the ritual increases your damage done against Off Balance enemies by 10%
    • Bosses gain 15 seconds of Off Balance immunity after Off Balance ends.(if a PvE boy can confirm this last one not sure about the time)
    Edited by Aedaryl on August 23, 2018 2:44PM
    Answer ✓
  • StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a flat amount of resources we restore if we land heavy attack.
    Its a magic, yes. No other explanation lol
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    When a Dragonbreak occurs the laws of fantasy physics get weird. Vampires are healed with restoration magic, books that haven't been written yet appear on shelves, elemental atronachs are getting demolished by mages flinging their own elements back at them, chamberpots and children vanish, weredogs and cats living together!
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Aedaryl , thanks for the write-up, it's nice to have the concise info in one place. Though since OP wrote "what's the thematic tie", I assume that he mostly meant "how is it logical that I get myself fresh, perky and full of energy by swinging a heavy piece of steel at someone". ^^
  • Didaco
    Didaco
    ✭✭✭✭
    For physical ones: Adrenaline?

For magical ones: Who really cares? It's magic.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aedaryl wrote: »
    You get ressource on heavy attack when the attack is fully charged and successfully hit.

Heavy attack ressource gain is based on the lengh of the attack, the more slow the attack is, the more ressource the attack give.

• Restoration staff HA : 3219 Magicka (note there is a 30% more ressource passive that can be added with Cycle of life) : 4184 magicka
    • Werewolf HA : 1617 Stamina (note there is a 100% more ressource passive that can be added with Pursuit) : 3234 stamina

If your ennemy block (for channeled only the last tick need to be blocked) or dodge (channeled resto and shock aren't dodgeable) your heavy attack, you don't get the ressources from it.

You can further increase the heavy attack ressource gained by wearing 5 pieces of heavy armor (Revitalize passive, 25% more ressource), by putting CP in the Tenacity start (up to 25%) or by wearing a set like Ulfnor's Favor (5 pieces give you 30% more ressource on heavy attack).

• The most commun way is with the Tactician CP passive when you put 120 points into the atronach : "When you use Roll Dodge to dodge an attack, you set the enemy Off Balance."
    • With abilities like Flame Lash if you strike an ennemy that's stunned or immobilize, Blockade of storm if the ennemy is concussed and surprise attack if you touch ur ennemy while being sneaky or invisible.
    • Interrupting a ennemy hwo cast a spell/rez when he doesn't have CC immunity with a bash or with Crushing shock/Scatter shot/Deep breath or a regular stun will set up the ennemy off balance (as well as stunning him).

• It last 5s
    • Using a heavy attack (fully charged or just a little) on a non blocking and non dodged ennemy (work on doding target for the channeled resto and shock heavies) stun the ennemy for X s and consume the off balance status (doesn't consume off balance of boss since they are immune to crowd control effects.
    • The Exploiter CP unlocked at 75 point in the ritual increases your damage done against Off Balance enemies by 10%
    • Bosses gain 15 seconds of Off Balance immunity after Off Balance ends.(if a PvE boy can confirm this last one not sure about the time)

mega Intel - this person deserves more than 2 insightfuls!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aedaryl , thanks for the write-up, it's nice to have the concise info in one place. Though since OP wrote "what's the thematic tie", I assume that he mostly meant "how is it logical that I get myself fresh, perky and full of energy by swinging a heavy piece of steel at someone". ^^

The denizens of Tamriel figured out how to cross the streams
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone mentioned, I think of it more like adrenaline, or just the 'tide of battle' shifting in your favor from landing a nice clean big hit. While technically that may not replenish your energy in real-life practice, your resources are just a finite metaphor anyways.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aedaryl
    Very informative. And I’m able to construct a vague idea about the design intent behind the resource restore, especially with the requirement that the player must land a HA on an unblocking target.

It’s interesting to note that Channeled heavy attacks only restore resources on a fully-charged heavy attack, rather than per tick. (Seems a bit unintuitive giving the HA is in contact with the Target the whole while)

Even more so with the WW HA given how it applies damage to nearby targets.
  • ZOS_RobGarrett
    When designing gameplay the ideal is to craft mechanics that both generate desirable play patterns and maintain some sense of consistency with the real world. Designers are sometimes faced with a reality of prioritizing one over the other, and this is often the case when attempting to improve existing gameplay systems without introducing entirely new mechanics (which adds complexity and risk).

Heavy Attack resource restore falls into this category. Some time ago the team was identifying ways to make Magicka and Stamina management more interesting. Heavy Attacks already had a built-in, long windup that represented a good opportunity cost for restoring those resources, so we included the restore behavior on the existing mechanic. The team was aware this wouldn't be immediately intuitive to a new player, but once the behavior is learned it has the desired effect on gameplay.
    Rob Garrett
    Lead Gameplay Designer - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Staff Post
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When designing gameplay the ideal is to craft mechanics that both generate desirable play patterns and maintain some sense of consistency with the real world. Designers are sometimes faced with a reality of prioritizing one over the other, and this is often the case when attempting to improve existing gameplay systems without introducing entirely new mechanics (which adds complexity and risk).

Heavy Attack resource restore falls into this category. Some time ago the team was identifying ways to make Magicka and Stamina management more interesting. Heavy Attacks already had a built-in, long windup that represented a good opportunity cost for restoring those resources, so we included the restore behavior on the existing mechanic. The team was aware this wouldn't be immediately intuitive to a new player, but once the behavior is learned it has the desired effect on gameplay.

@ZOS_RobGarrett
    I believe it would be obvious if by doing so the magic or stamina bar glowed for a few seconds and had arrows inside moving to suggest that action regenerates the resource. Why not build this into the existing so players see, 1, 2 or 3 arrows depending upon how much is being restored per successful attack.

Its already built in when we do other things.
    I'm primarily on xbox by the way so its the gamepad UI and no add-on options
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on August 24, 2018 4:35PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_RobGarrett

Given the opportunity cost associated with heavy attacks, why is it that a heavy attack being blocked (PvP) removes any resource restore?

I’ve heard the reason for that was due to Stamina classes always heavy-weaving abilities, able to sustain with no resource regen gear.

(Side note) I think that Lightning/Resto staff HA’s are at a disadvantage given the clear telegraph and duration not being a factor in the amount of resources hey restore, given they only return resources on the final tick.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_RobGarrett This mechanism really puts melee magicka at a resource disadvantage. Are there plans to address this?
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I see the combat team decided that heavy attacks are for sustain and light attacks are for damage, which favours some classes more than others sadly. How does the devs feel about the state of Dks(especially stam) and molten armaments, an ability that boosts heavy attack damage. Heavy attacks used to be a pseudo-spammable for stamDKs in PvE and some very rare PvP builds also utilized it.(and in the past it used to be also serve as an execute if I remember correctly) While I appreciate devs deciding to be consistent, Its upsets me that this ability and the new idea zenimax has in mind goes agaist each other.

Does the combat team have any plans to change molten armaments into something different in future? Both morphs of this ability are very outdated and they don't fit the current game meta very well, for both PvP , and PvE.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on August 24, 2018 7:26PM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I might aswell tell my opinion on heavy attacks.

From a real life perspective, heavy attacks do look incredibly dumb. I mean this whole guy lifting his weapon in air for 2 hours and shouting ''I'm gonna hit you'' thing. Its dumb and there is no such thing.

But this is a fantasy game after all, so eh. Balance and gameplay should go over reality in some cases, and this is one of them.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on August 24, 2018 7:53PM
  • Anastian
    Anastian
    ✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

@ZOS_RobGarrett This mechanism really puts melee magicka at a resource disadvantage. Are there plans to address this?

Totally disagree. I am a melee NB magicka, 2h/Ice staff, and if you build correctly you don't need magicka heavy attacks to restore resources. Moreover, they are much easier to land with fire / ice staves compared to melee weapons, as long as you have decent reflexes with the crosshair (any shooter game should be a good enough training). Lightning charged attacks are even easier. Just practice mate: there is absolutely no difference.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• It last 5s

Are percent modifiers multiplicative? @Aedaryl
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attacking an off balance opponent in ulfnors and 12% in tenacity would return 8830 stam with a 2h.
  • Xerge
    Xerge
    ✭✭✭

The combat in this game is already sterile and basic; this decision makes someone like myself feel as if heavy attacking is abrupt stop to otherwise enjoyable gameplay, I ignore the mechanic and carry on. I simply build my character around stam restore and it's enough for basic pve content.

Either speed up heavy attacks by 40% or adjust the resource return to almost the entire resource bar.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the combat team decided that heavy attacks are for sustain and light attacks are for damage, which favours some classes more than others sadly. How does the devs feel about the state of Dks(especially stam) and molten armaments, an ability that boosts heavy attack damage. Heavy attacks used to be a pseudo-spammable for stamDKs in PvE and some very rare PvP builds also utilized it.(and in the past it used to be also serve as an execute if I remember correctly) While I appreciate devs deciding to be consistent, Its upsets me that this ability and the new idea zenimax has in mind goes agaist each other.

Does the combat team have any plans to change molten armaments into something different in future? Both morphs of this ability are very outdated and they don't fit the current game meta very well, for both PvP , and PvE.

The case of DKs is especially puzzling because when the changes to light/heavy attacks were made recently, Sorcerers' Bound Armaments was also changed from a heavy to a light attack bonus. It's odd why this didn't happen for DKs.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xerge wrote: »

The combat in this game is already sterile and basic; this decision makes someone like myself feel as if heavy attacking is abrupt stop to otherwise enjoyable gameplay, I ignore the mechanic and carry on. I simply build my character around stam restore and it's enough for basic pve content.

Either speed up heavy attacks by 40% or adjust the resource return to almost the entire resource bar.

At least for pvp and endgame I think combat is quite fun but I wholeheartedly agree that the heavy attack mechanic unfortunately is completely nonsensical and feels ridiculous to go with it. More like clumsy attack. And then feeling the need to sit there holding the mouse for way too long, being afraid to cast because you'll cancel the heavy attack and ruin the resource return...just frustrating, not rewarding.

A heavy attack, in my head, might be something that's only a little longer than a light attack but does much more damage, but takes resources. Perhaps if you blocked for a moment and didn't get hit, you could restore resources faster? I hope it does get a more intuitive mechanic someday.
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭

• It last 5s

ICYMI

@ZOS_RobGarrett
    this should be tidied up and pinned in the combat mechanics thread. Please.
    Edited for correct tag
    Edited by aetherial_heavenn on August 27, 2018 2:31PM
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MopeyHat wrote: »
    Xerge wrote: »

At least for pvp and endgame I think combat is quite fun but I wholeheartedly agree that the heavy attack mechanic unfortunately is completely nonsensical and feels ridiculous to go with it. More like clumsy attack. And then feeling the need to sit there holding the mouse for way too long, being afraid to cast because you'll cancel the heavy attack and ruin the resource return...just frustrating, not rewarding.

A heavy attack, in my head, might be something that's only a little longer than a light attack but does much more damage, but takes resources. Perhaps if you blocked for a moment and didn't get hit, you could restore resources faster? I hope it does get a more intuitive mechanic someday.

Yes, these are my thoughts as well.

In my mind, it would make 1000% more sense if light attacks restored magicka / stamina (because they're less taxing than abilities or heavy attacks) and heavy attacks would do huge damage but take a long time and consume resources instead of regaining them. It would be a tactical choice.

Right now, there is no choice. Meta is to light attack in between abilities, and heavy attack if necessary to sustain. It's dumb and makes 0 sense.
    Edited by Crafts_Many_Boxes on September 5, 2018 8:22PM
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    How does anything happen. You need to restore stam somehow.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's because it's a simple type of attack (you are not casting a spell, or doing fancy acrobatics with your weapon), so your characters gets a 'breather' and restores their strength/power.
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

The case of DKs is especially puzzling because when the changes to light/heavy attacks were made recently, Sorcerers' Bound Armaments was also changed from a heavy to a light attack bonus. It's odd why this didn't happen for DKs.

Fyi, I run a heavy attack build with my dk and it depends on molten armaments in its current form.

Here it is, created by one of our class reps:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/309550/elemental-fury-pve-heavy-attack-dk-build-wolfhunter-ready/p1

Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The idea of using heavy attacks to restore resources is probably a good one but you should look under the hood a little. As the changes have been added one upon another I don't think they are behaving how you think they are. The current screwy scaling leaves those with a little ping lag doing attacks that, in the case of channeled weapons, do no damage and return no resources. Full heavies also get a damage boost in addition to returning resources rather than the damage nerf the patch notes indicated was intended. You are left with almost the entire spectrum of possible attack timings yielding an attack that is sub-optimal in damage and returns no resources. In my opinion, this should be the number 2 balance priority behind addressing cheat engine as it underlays all you your combat system.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
This discussion has been closed.