The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Once more. The Cyrillic font must be changed

logarifmik
logarifmik
✭✭✭✭✭
З д р а в с т в у й т е ,  т о в а р и щ и .  (rus. Greetings, comrades.)

I want to raise the problem of currently used Cyrillic font once more, but now here, in the General ESO Discussion section, because it seems, that almost no one checks the Bug Section of the forum.

Not long ago there was a thread on the forum about this particular problem and... many loosely connected to the topic problems, which worries our "western partners" a lot, but it was thrown to the trash can in the end. Literally, it's gone. I guess, it wasn't civil enough or something.

Right, to the point now. As all people here probably knows, since the update 2.5 the game supports Cyrillic alphabet. The problem with the font devs decided to use one can see in the screenshots below.
pvw4681.pngpvw4680.png
On the left one can see current font used in the game, on the right, the Cyrillic font with an addon, that fixes this problem for PC users, though console users don't have such luxury.

This font is so bad, that sometimes it even forces some people to say unpleasant things about the Russian community in the whole. But even smart enough people find such font rather distracting, even those who know the language, but for some reasons don't have the addon installed. Maybe some people find it shocking, but Russian speaking players use it for the same purpose as "Latin" people do, to communicate with each other. Consider also, that there are almost no complains about, for example, French and Deutsch messages in the English chat. I think, the main reason for that is the sprawling Cyrillic font. К и р и л л и ц а ,  you see?

I think, it must be changed. It would be better for all if devs apply such a small fix next patch. Also, I hope, that this humble request will not be ignored again.

Also, considering the growing population Russian speaking players (mostly because of the Russian localization, the result of selfless labor of enthusiasts), it would be wise to add /ru zone chat.

And one more thing, comrades. The Russian language is not the only one, which uses the Cyrillic letters. I'll give you at least two extra examples, but there are more.

З а з д а л е г ід ь  д я к у ю . (ukr.)
З а г а д з я  д з я к у й .  (bel.)
З а р а н е е  с п а с и б о . (rus.)
Thanks in advance.

UPDATE
So far the most adequate solution I see consists of 3 steps:
i) changing the current Cyrillic font,
ii) adding /ru zone chat,
iii) introducing customizable chat filters.
Edited by logarifmik on August 24, 2018 2:20PM
EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ive never noticed this but good point. I don't imagine changing font would be a huge endeavor but then again im not a game developer so I don't know. Hope you get your fix OP
    Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
    Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
    Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
    Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
    Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
    Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
    Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
    Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
    Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
    Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
    Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
    Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you can just download and install easy fix.
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=1442
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »

You clearly did not bother to read the post. OP acknowledges that this add-on exists, but it shouldn't have to. That add-on is a workaround for Zeni's clunky handling of native functionality, and is only available to 1/3 of the player base. And even on PC, that add-on would only truly be effective if everyone on EU used it so it would make Cyrillic chat in zone less visually jarring.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »

Did you even read? And no I will not download more addons that lag up the game then I absolutely have to especially one where I do not even speak the language.

Myself am not so bothered by the Cyrillic myself, it is just text I ignore since I can not read it.

ZOS font is funny though.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like a setting to hide all cyrillic chat.
  • Oumalakasha
    Oumalakasha
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that looks terrible. I don't speak any language that uses the Cyrillic alphabet, but it would drive me crazy i f I h a d t o
    c o n s t a n t l y r e a d w i t h w o r d s
    s p a c e d o u t l i k e t h a t .
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's getting messed up going through the NSA fliter? looks like the encoding is just different since some characters are straight up being replaced by others or by number codes.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    It does look like the equivalent of a particularly awkward form of Courier: I think I would quickly tire of that so I see the point. Well, I eventually saw the point considering I initially read it as "Cyrodiilic", which isn't a novel observation but it does suggest I need more sleep.
  • Akgurd
    Akgurd
    ✭✭✭
    How terrible that looks.
    Must be fixed.
    Aknight
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    I would like a setting to hide all cyrillic chat.
    It was one of the solutions discussed in the deleted thread. It would be nice to have some kind of a chat filter for a change, not only to block the Cyrillic letters, but to have control over what you want to see in the chat in general.
    Maybe it's getting messed up going through the NSA fliter? looks like the encoding is just different since some characters are straight up being replaced by others or by number codes.
    It could be, but nevertheless it shouldn't be so hard to fix.
    Edited by logarifmik on August 17, 2018 5:52PM
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this looks like a kerning issue...that may be an easy fix for the devs..
    But if the font has excess spaceing to start it may just be easier to replace it altogether.
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a monospaced font. It should be switched out to something with proportional spacing.
  • Enemoriana
    Enemoriana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y e s.
    • PC EU, @Enemoriana. Ru
    • My wishlist: crown crates, Lucky Cat Landing, atronach/crow/factotum merchant.
    • Houses: The Erstwhile Sanctuary. Everybody is welcomed! Here is video.
    • Luxury furniture is displayed in Forsaken Stronghold. Decorator default. Not luxury, but similar or close looking items marked with jester banners. Closed until ESO+ will be available again for Russia: without doubled limits there is not enough space.
    • Two years with no ESO+ available. Eternal thanks to people who gifted music boxes, my everlasting ESO passion!
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont usually speak Russian but I really have no problem with the cyrillics font.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this looks like a kerning issue...that may be an easy fix for the devs..
    But if the font has excess spaceing to start it may just be easier to replace it altogether.
    UnseenCat wrote: »
    It looks like a monospaced font. It should be switched out to something with proportional spacing.
    Agreed, yes, and it shouldn't be a problem to "cure" this issue.
    ESO_GOD wrote: »
    I dont usually speak Russian but I really have no problem with the cyrillics font.
    You don't or you can't? Maybe you don't have a problem, because of the addon I mentioned?
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    T u r n b a c k o u r o l d c y r i l l i c f o n t !
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • Alex_Lex
    Alex_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    M a k e C y r i l l i c f o n t g r e a t a g a i n!

Seriously, I can't see why it's so hard to fix.
    I joined Russian guild like 4 months ago after years of being in foreign and c h a t m a k e s m y e y e s c r y.
    EU: Beatrice gra-Brog, Rebellie, Yshterie, Jearra , Lirielline
    Christess, Fleuretta, Jubilee Cake, Braviliana, Onyxette
    M'adjirra, Dances-around-Nirn, Nerieth, Estrice, Ann der Wood
    Éternelle, Burns-all-the-babies, Jyggurag
    NA: Dice Twice, Nikka from the barrel
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »
    T u r n b a c k o u r o l d c y r i l l i c f o n t !
    There was an old one? I'm not aware of it.
    Alex_Lex wrote: »
    M a k e C y r i l l i c f o n t g r e a t a g a i n!

Seriously, I can't see why it's so hard to fix.
    I joined Russian guild like 4 months ago after years of being in foreign and c h a t m a k e s m y e y e s c r y.
    You can install the addon for now, but as one comrade said here, it shouldn't exist at the first place.
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 За ћирилицу.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akgurd wrote: »
    How terrible that looks.
    Must be fixed.

So true! :D
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post.

I like that our Russian friends actively play the game and its ok if they talk in their language occasionally in zone chat, similar to other people who sometimes speak in their native language in zone chat.

I am a German native speaker but always use English in the zone chat, because I consider MMOs as international games. It will create the feeling of a single community by using English, which is the international accepted language to communicate between borders. Most German players I encountered who start to talk German in zone chat are really bad English speakers and therefore exclude themselves from a large part of the player community.

Anyways, I agree that the current font spacing is really bad and has to be changed to be more in line with the Latin alphabet.
    Edited by Adernath on August 19, 2018 10:17AM
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adernath wrote: »
    Good post.
    Danke schöne.
    Adernath wrote: »
    I am a German native speaker but always use English in the zone chat, because I consider MMOs as international games. It will create the feeling of a single community by using English, which is the international accepted language to communicate between borders. Most German players I encountered who start to talk German in zone chat are really bad English speakers and therefore exclude themselves from a large part of the player community.
    Playing the ESO I myself speaks English most part of time, and I absolutely agree, that from all possible perspectives it's much better to know the lingua franca, but that's not the point. The font looks annoying, and the stereotype about Russian game community together with this annoyance increase the tension in the ESO community. At least, I can see it sometimes. There are evidence in the game, there was evidence on the forum, but those are now in the trash can. For me this is the main reason why the issue must be fixed without any further delay.
    Edited by logarifmik on August 19, 2018 3:22PM
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes. I hope this issue will be resolved soon.

As much as I encourage people to use English in public, when there are other people, that doesn't speak the language present...I can imagine this being annoying.

Imagine the latin alphabet being replaced with Wingdings..... Or that weird-clunky-font-that-I-Don't-Remember-The-Name-Of-But-It-Is-Surprisingly-Normal.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I encourage people to use English in public, when there are other people, that doesn't speak the language present

For a one year that I play this game I have noticed that the real English chat (/enzone) is used very, very rare. I don't understand why people think that /zone is for only English language. OK, German have own chat, French have own chat, Japanese have own chat... and English. But nobody using it. And then people telling you that you must write in English in /zone. Sometimes it's impossible because English isn't only one international language, and people should remember that. English should give you more opportunities, but it should not be your handicap if you need help but you don't speak it. I have no problems with a different languages that I don't know, and if someone want to speak with his/her compatriots - why not? We are free people, aren't we? Except flooders, they are really annoying, whatever language they're using.
    I can imagine this being annoying.

In 50% of situations an European community is reacts aggressively at insignificant, inoffensive short conversations that most often answering the questions of newcomers. My experience in another MMO with most of European community telling me that bad font isn't a cause of hatred of the Russian-speaking community, also as a flood in chat by some not smart players. It's a justification because all people that I asked about a reason can't answered me. Even if you very quiet, very friendly person, you'll get your portion of hatred if you speak Russian and/or living in "wrong" country. So the current situation in ESO is that the most of Russian-speaking community is paying for insults from all server. It's disappoint me as a player who really read the CoC. You can be annoyed by somebody but you have no right to insult people.

Maybe the fixing of all cyrillic letters will help to some people to calm down, but I'm not sure that dissatisfaction and insults will be over.
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    i agree the font should be tighten up.

what i don't agree with is separation, i personally enjoy seeing other langues at play and tbh wish the servers were international. o well. I guess i was spoiled by ff11 :(
    Long time mmo player: 2004-[current year]
    Long time Elder scrolls player: Xbox launch morrowind.
    Follower of the dawn and dusk, keeper of the moon and star.
  • Fishoscandi
    Fishoscandi
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a person from a Slavic country I learned a bit of Russian because it's similiar to my native language. I also learned to write a bit of cyrillic so a font change would really come in handy for a lot of players and myself included.
    Fishoscandi - Orc NB
    Cookie of Dough - Dunmer Templar
    Smells Like Tree Spirit - Bosmer Sorc

EU PC

• logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ekzorka wrote: »
    For a one year that I play this game I have noticed that the real English chat (/enzone) is used very, very rare. I don't understand why people think that /zone is for only English language. OK, German have own chat, French have own chat, Japanese have own chat... and English. But nobody using it. And then people telling you that you must write in English in /zone. Sometimes it's impossible because English isn't only one international language, and people should remember that. English should give you more opportunities, but it should not be your handicap if you need help but you don't speak it.
    I agree with all you said here. Regarding the /en zone, I think it was introduced to give native English speakers a place, where they can communicate without being interrupted by any other languages, but, well, it didn't worked for obvious reasons. As I said, a new working solution is required.
    Ekzorka wrote: »
    In 50% of situations an European community is reacts aggressively at insignificant, inoffensive short conversations that most often answering the questions of newcomers. My experience in another MMO with most of European community telling me that bad font isn't a cause of hatred of the Russian-speaking community, also as a flood in chat by some not smart players. It's a justification because all people that I asked about a reason can't answered me. Even if you very quiet, very friendly person, you'll get your portion of hatred if you speak Russian and/or living in "wrong" country. So the current situation in ESO is that the most of Russian-speaking community is paying for insults from all server. It's disappoint me as a player who really read the CoC. You can be annoyed by somebody but you have no right to insult people.

Maybe the fixing of all cyrillic letters will help to some people to calm down, but I'm not sure that dissatisfaction and insults will be over.
    I never said, that the font is the reason, but sometimes it gives an excuse. If we try to track the roots of Russophobia, we'll probably end up somewhere in the first half of the XIX century with "La Russie en 1839" by Astolphe de Custine in our hands. But, again, that's not the point of the thread. I don't want it to be thrown to the forum trash can, so let us be "civil", alright?
    Edited by logarifmik on August 20, 2018 9:33AM
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, really needs fixing, can imagine it's not easy for ya'll to read that way either, it's awful :(
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's try to make it more official. Dear @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, could you, please, comment on this issue?
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since addons I was using to prevent russian in chat is not working as intended, I had to put quite a lot of them on ignore. I dont have issue with them but walls of text you dont understand clutter the chat.