Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

1vX: what’s better, medium or heavy build?

NightAngel690
NightAngel690
✭✭✭
I’m trying to decide which sets to run and I was just wondering is it better to run a heavy set or run a medium set for a Stamtoon?

Best Answers

• Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    class matters yo

for instance NB, Sorc, and Warden all probably prefer medium, where as DK and Templar may prefer Heavy.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
    Answer ✓
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the class. But the best spec for 1vX is heavy armor stamina, so overall heavy would have the most viability if you look at the big picture.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
    Answer ✓
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personal preference IMO. <3 my 5 heavy sNB :p
    Answer ✓
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say it depend.

If your question is : Is medium armor primery defense (roll dodge) is better than heavy armor one (block), then the answer is no.

You can build medium build with more resistance than heavy one quite easely.

If you run medium + fortified brass or impregnable or medium + 3 protective jewlery, then medium can worth it.

In term of playstyle, the high mitigation + high healing + Block is the best way to 1vX on a stam.

Now there is swift. Go in a zerg, then run when it's starting to smell bad. People can't counter you because you are fastest than wrobel when he nerf sorcs.

My final answer : you need high mitigation and swift to be OP. Go heavy + swift.
    Answer ✓
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Heavy with speedpots and swift.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • CrazYDunm3r
    CrazYDunm3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use light armor for my magDK in 1vX but that is just preference. Wings help a lot and knowing when to shield too. To be honest just try everything and see what works best for you.
    YouTube
    Triggered Tryhards
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy with speedpots and swift.

Yep, I'm able to compensate for a lot of the weaknesses of heavy armor with Mirage, Speedpots, and Forward Momentum
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely heavy for Dk 1vX, combined with speed potions and maybe even some swift.. though it won't matter against bleeds and oblivion damage, so if thats too popular in your campaign, just run medium and have wings I guess. Your 1vX will be over the moment you go face to face with one of those cheese builds so avoid them or nuke them fast.. Whatever you do, don't trust Aedarly and try to block in a 1vX, you will get eaten alive with cost poisons,defiles, bleeds,oblivion damage, unblockable CCs. Mobility is king, line of sight is the best defence you will have, don't forget block is a self snare and no stam regen which is a no-no, you're gonna need the stamina regen A LOT.

Only block when you absolutely have to , or the odds allow you to stand and fight which is rare in 1vX. And remember, 1vX is done against bad enemies, if one amongst them is equally good as you, then don't try to duke it out with him.

For other classes I'm not good enough to 1vX, let alone give 1vX advice for them. Though stamsorc and stamden can be played very similarly to stamDk.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on August 18, 2018 4:47AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll Dodge soooo stronk right meow, seriously
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Thats cause tanking the damage is out of question nowadays. Rollers were always very effective against my playstyle anyways so I feel no difference at all fighting them. So Its not like rollers got stronger but the meta shifted in favour of them.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on August 18, 2018 5:57AM
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats cause tanking the damage is out of question nowadays. Rollers were always very effective against my playstyle anyways so I feel no difference at all fighting them. So Its not like rollers got stronger but the meta shifted in favour of them.

Where do you play ? In PC EU yesteday on Vivec I saw 85% of tanky builds. A ton of stam dk, stamden, magdk. I only saw 3 magsorc, and some NB.

Meta there is to be super tanky and wait the zerg.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you combine heavy + rolling it's hard to deal with it.

You finally catch them and it barely takes 20% of their hp off, even worse if they have troll king.

Catch someone with a full burst bring them to 50%, the roll cast vigor and with troll king they're at 100% before the roll has ended.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    heavy is broken completely, there is no reason a good player in heavy should kill a good player in medium or light. makes absolutely no sense
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Ariades_swe on August 18, 2018 9:51AM
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aedaryl wrote: »

Where do you play ? In PC EU yesteday on Vivec I saw 85% of tanky builds. A ton of stam dk, stamden, magdk. I only saw 3 magsorc, and some NB.

I play EU pc too.
    I see mainly nbs and sorcs all day long.
    They by far the 2 classes I encounter the most.
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say it depend.

If your question is : Is medium armor primery defense (roll dodge) is better than heavy armor one (block), then the answer is no.

If you run medium + fortified brass or impregnable or medium + 3 protective jewlery, then medium can worth it.

In term of playstyle, the high mitigation + high healing + Block is the best way to 1vX on a stam.

Now there is swift. Go in a zerg, then run when it's starting to smell bad. People can't counter you because you are fastest than wrobel when he nerf sorcs.

My final answer : you need high mitigation and swift to be OP. Go heavy + swift.

Block is *** compared to dodge now.
    Why every 1vXer an nb these days.
    Edited by Ariades_swe on August 18, 2018 9:17AM
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say it depend.

Block is *** compared to dodge now.
    Why every 1vXer an nb these days.

Dodge is strong but you can't rely on it because of the dodge penality. Only NB can effectively use dodge roll because they can reset the penality.

Dodge is the best secondary defense. Magicka build can dodge cast shield/heal, avoid most damage and have their heal/shield making the work. Stamina build can dodge 2-3 times in a raw for avoid ranged damage when they are chased for exemple.

Relying on dodge as your main form of defense doesn't work. Even stamblade use cloak as their main defense.

That's why blocking is better. It's cheaper since you can choose what to block and it doesn't have expodential cost.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think it depends on the class stam Warden, sorc dk favor heavy in my opinion. While stam nb and stamplar I’d prefer in medium because it fits my high paced style, in medium I usually have high heals, speed and ways to avoid damage so it can look like I’m in heavy sometimes.

There’s a few heavy specs that are somewhat broken in terms of survivability.
  • Siliziumdioxid
    Siliziumdioxid
    ✭✭✭
    Medium:
    I run my dw/2h stamdk with:
    7k weapon damage 33k stam, 50% critchance 1996 stamreg
    29k spell resist 26k physical resist 22k health 2.3k critresist
    I have a 20k vigor tooltip and i run forward over rally... part of my tankieness comes from bladecloak and elude
    ... i mean i remember that fury + bs+ seventh build... and thought they have high damage... but now i run fury in medium... so this build is nothing like that... sure it lacks 2.9k resistances it lacks 3k health... but it has everything else... more damage more healing, major evasion, way more mobility, alot more sustain...
    i tested several builds: Fury + Hundings, fury senche, Tava's Fury, Tava + WWHide, Veiled+ tava, Senche Tava, fury +BP, Fury+ Seventh, Tava+ Hundings, NMG+ Tava ... however i definitely found a preference for medium regardless if i run S&B&2h, 2h& Bow or dw&2h.

Aside from the less health and less resistances thing i would definitely not jump on the "medium is underwhelming compared to heavy"-train
    Edited by Siliziumdioxid on August 18, 2018 2:16PM
    Guild: Ancaria
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ULKvXxk.png

I think roll Dodge is fine as the primary defense
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I do play in PC EU, so please stop lying already. Acting like block is a solid 1vX tool... You are sooooo last year, you're literally stuck in homestead , and the worst part is that you couldn't learn how to counter block in more than a year now... Why are you even giving people 1vX advice like you could actually 1vX?
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on August 18, 2018 5:45PM
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do play in PC EU, so please stop lying already. Acting like block is a solid 1vX tool... You are sooooo last year, you're literally stuck in homestead , and the worst part is that you couldn't learn how to counter block in more than a year now... Why are you even giving people 1vX advice like you could actually 1vX?

You lack knowledge and experience. Blocking is the best 1vX tool.

Smart blocking is what I speak about. Block when u see the warden shalck + dawnbreker comming, block when you see the curse comming to counter the reach frag fury, block when you see the end of PoTL comming for prevent DBoS and reduced the burst, block after an incap to counter bow.

Smart blocking is the best 1vX tool, combined with high resistance and great HoT, it reduce the damage so well than HoT can negate the damage you took.

If you think permablock is what I'm speaking about, then you have no clue about how this game is working.

Smart block is blocking for a few 0.5s and blockcasting a heal.

Block is the best mitigation tool because you can still use your skills by doing it, and because it doesn't have expodential cost.
    Edited by Aedaryl on August 19, 2018 12:19PM
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ozazz wrote: »
    heavy is broken completely, there is no reason a good player in heavy should kill a good player in medium or light. makes absolutely no sense

L2P issue. Heavy/blocky is a method of defense like light+shields or med+mobility+rolls.

Heavy needs more damage actually, its only decent because of certain sets. And its mitigation isn't enough to keep up with the damage loss for mag, esp with defile+bleeds, why do you think that the meta for magicka is light on all classes, even DK which has tanky passives.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ozazz wrote: »

then there is no reason a player in medium or light should kill a player in heavy.
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Smart blocking is what I speak about. Block when u see the warden shalck + dawnbreker comming, block when you see the curse comming to counter the reach frag fury, block when you see the end of PoTL comming for prevent DBoS and reduced the burst, block after an incap to counter bow.

Smart blocking is the best 1vX tool, combined with high resistance and great HoT, it reduce the damage so well than HoT can negate the damage you took.

If you think permablock is what I'm speaking about, then you have no clue about how this game is working.

Block is the best mitigation tool because you can still use your skills by doing it, and because it doesn't have expodential cost.

I love your imaginary 1vX tactics though.

please tell me more, like how you told me bash spam is the most OP thing ever in the blockcast thread .d
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on August 20, 2018 1:06AM
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

please tell me more, like how you told me bash spam is the most OP thing ever in the blockcast thread .d

Bash deal around the same damage than a light attack with 1h&S so doing LA/Heroic/slash/bash is like having 2 light attack damage + your spammable.

Bash is extremely strong and it's one of the reason why 1&S is BiS and have the same damage if not more than the other weapons lines.
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Bash deal around the same damage than a light attack with 1h&S so doing LA/Heroic/slash/bash is like having 2 light attack damage + your spammable.

Bash is extremely strong and it's one of the reason why 1&S is BiS and have the same damage if not more than the other weapons lines.

You want me to link that post again that shows that Heroic+La+bash deals less damage than any other spammable while at the same time costing much more?
    Also let's not even consider the additional cost when you get hit when you bash and the vulnerability of LA+skill+bash when lag is around.

• Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BohnT wrote: »

You want me to link that post again that shows that Heroic+La+bash deals less damage than any other spammable while at the same time costing much more?
    Also let's not even consider the additional cost when you get hit when you bash and the vulnerability of LA+skill+bash when lag is around.

Link that post, I will be so happy to proove that post wasn't true.

Calling lag to rescue is kinda meh.
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BohnT wrote: »

Link that post, I will be so happy to proove that post wasn't true.

Calling lag to rescue is kinda meh.
    I'm not calling lag to rescue but it's something that affects gameplay and when you can't use things because lag hinders you from doing so that is something you have to consider, just like every templar has to consider that they can't use jabs during primetime
    A small comparison of spammables, their cost and the thigns they offer for their class.
    Here are the values for different spammables and their Tooltip on a char with only purple 1h+s, no cp, no Attributes, no gear.

Cost:
    Heroic: 2673 (with 1h+s cost reduction passive)
    Suprise attack: 2295 (378 stam less)
    Jabs: 2509 (164 stam less)
    Imbue: 2430 (243 stam less)
    Birds: 2065 (608 stam less)

Tooltip:
    Heroic: 1929
    Suprise attack: 2134 (10.6% more Damage)
    Jabs+1 Burning light proc: 4149 (117.4% more Damage)
    Imbue: 1982 ( 2% more Damage)
    Brids: 2201 (14.1% more Damage)

Now let's see what heroic brings to the table for stamdk:
    46 (mag+stam) /ult *0.75 ult/s= 34.5 (mag+stam)/s
    ---> a massive 69 magicka and Stamina regen

Next Thing is your talk About bash+heroic+la being such a great spammable.
    it's not it's worse than other combinations, first being locked on your 1h+s bar reduces your Damage on both the skill you use and the Damage of your light attacks, also you don't gain anything from the reduced cost of bash as the cost is the same (736 Stamina with 100 Points into Bashing expert) on both bars meaning you Always have a higher Stamina drain while spamming heroic while doing less Damage.

Example for a warden: Purple weapons, front bar 2h, back bar 1h+s, used skills birds and heroic Slash, 100 Points into bashing exper, no other cp allocated, no Attributes,

Damage values:
    2h: bash 425+ la 675+ birds 2510 = 3610
    1h+s: bash 722+ la 642+ heroic 2093=3567

Resource drain:
    2h: bash 736 Stamina+ birds 2065 Stamina= 2801 stamina
    1h+s: bash 736 Stamina+ heroic Slash 2673 Stamina=3499 stamina

And this works for every spammable, heroic Slash is linked with a higher cost and less Damage.
    Let's see what the other spammables bring to the table and how they snyergise with the classes:

Suprise attack gives you more Damage, givs you the ooprtunity to have a high hitting ability that Comes with a stun and gives you a further 8% Damage increase which means highly increase burst potential as you don't have ot waste a gcd for a stun only, additionally if yo use a fully charged heavy attack you gain 100% more Stamina from it. No to Mention that using it will Keep up Major resolve and ward, while giving you 3% more max Health and has the small convinience that it can proc both Twin blade and blunt or the 2h bleed.

Let's swap over to Jabs, Jabs deal much more Damage, are AoE, apply a stronger snare, give you 10% more crit Chance, give you more crit Damage, more Damage to Blocking Targets and more block Mitigation. and don't tell me you'll Slot another aedric spear ability to get Access to the passives, you have 5 Slots for active skills and an ultimate no one will ever use,
    sun Shield, spear shards, focused charge aren't used by a stamplar, javalin is a weaker Version of reverb without a defile that also reduces your offensive window by pushing your enemy out of range. therefor either you Slot Jabs and heroic on one bar or you start creating a decent bar with only one of them.

The two used Stamina spammables Show exactly what a spammable should be, it synergises with the whole toolkit and makes you better.

Additionally you gain Nothing from spamming heroic Slash, many classes use it as an support skill not a main spammable and that's what classes with an actual spammable that works with the class and is stronger than heroic Slash have in favour of a stamdk. They can get the full Utility from heroic Slash on their back bar and then they can deal more Damage at a lower cost with their actual spammable that's designed to work with their class.

They simply have to introduce a Staminawhip that synergises with the stamdks toolkit.
    Let's see what we can find there:
    Combustion: increases the Damage of Poison Status effect and gives you 500 stam every 5 sec once you apply it (100 stam regen)
    Warmth: will be changed to only on direct Damage next patch meaning you won't have 100% uptime with venemous claw ---> next Synergy
    Wolrd in ruins: no Synergy here but wait that might become intresting with the next suggestions

If we now Change Deep breath to a Stamina Morph that applies Poisoned Status effect on the second hit and give the Staminawhip a proc like power lash when used against poisoned enemies that deals more Damage or has an additional effect then we created a Synergy inside of the stamdk.

Combustion gives more Sustain due to the new Deep breath and increases Damage with higher poisoned uptime, world in ruins buffs Deep breath and by combining the Stamina Whip with Deep breath the Overall Damage Output increases while warmth now applies a snare on People we attack with that Stamina whip.
    And the best Thing is we can still use heroic on the back bar and make use of minor maim, a 60% snare and we gain our 69 mag and stam regen while we reduce our Stamina drain immensly as a Stamina Whip would cost as much as birds (15% cost reduction on Stamina skills compared to their magicka Counterpart)