The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Best quests for leveling?

SameMeteor26
SameMeteor26
✭✭✭
What’s the best quest for leveling? The main quest line is so long and boring I feel so not worth the XP but idk. The alliance main quests are for brain dead’s and give like no xp. But then I feel like dlc quest would be too hard for a low level toon. So I’m not sure which quests to do for leveling
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the main quests and alliance quests. You'll also get extra skill points when you complete some of them. For me, I do the quest called "Playing the game". It seems that I get XP fast enough without worrying about the "grind".
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Main quests, daily random dungeon and anchors are the main providers of xp.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Low level toons can absolutely do DLC quests. My wardens finished the Vvardenfell main quest at low level. My magen was level 8 and my stamden was level 6. A couple of the fights were tough (ish) without an ultimate but no worse than doing any other quest line at low level.
  • Sekero
    Sekero
    ✭✭✭
    And if you do the anchors as the FG daily, you get extra loot and more xp. Same applies to MG daily dungeons.
    Edited by Sekero on August 13, 2018 4:28PM
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leveling 1-50 I just hit Dolmens/Delves(can grab delve quest) as you run around collecting Skyshards+Lore books and I’m usually level 50 when done

Leveling CP I dunno...I’ve always been above Max...lol
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    Do the main quests and alliance quests. You'll also get extra skill points when you complete some of them. For me, I do the quest called "Playing the game". It seems that I get XP fast enough without worrying about the "grind".

Funny. It's almost as if there are different ways to play the game and there's no singular correct way to play the game. Crazy, huh?

I laugh at people who think "playing the game" is doing boring, tedious quests when some people just want to do Dungeons, Trials, and PvP.
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • vonScuzzman
    vonScuzzman
    ✭✭✭
    Main harborage quest and alliance main quest reward large xp and skill points. 1st time killing a delve boss is good xp as well and grab the skyshard while you are in the delve.
    XBox One NA
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As far as leveling goes, nothing beats the town quests in Cyridiil. They give great XP and most of them can be completed in just a few minutes. Plus, they all reward gear boxes whose contents can be sold or deconstructed (such as the purple jewelry pieces).
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too funny that the OP calls quests boring and brain dead so out comes the suggestion that he spends 50 levels at a dolmen :wink: !
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    come on dude, dungeons and dolmens.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The ones that give skill points — you’ll need those. I.e., usually the main quest line in any given region. Public dungeons are good too...lots of mobs to kill, a skyshard, and a skill point for completing the “group event.”
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, you may find it boring, but the main quest has by far the best skill-points-per-quest ratio of them all (1 SP every second quest).
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, you may find it boring, but the main quest has by far the best skill-points-per-quest ratio of them all (1 SP every second quest).

The ESO main quest (companions) gives a skillpoint for every single quest. At least initially. Once you have done it you can speedrun it in an afternoon. Alliance ones give 3 per zone, every zone also has skyshards + public dungeon hidden group event, PvP gives skillpoints, and Morrowind / Clockwork / Summerset gives... once in awhile. I guess my only real point is there´s a crapload of skillpoints, you want them, don´t be one of those *** who level to 50 while lying dead in Skyreach and then whine that they need more skillpoints.

IMO 'play the way you enjoy it' gives the best happiness/XP ratio.
    Edited by MaleAmazon on August 14, 2018 10:46AM
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For leveling a new toon, I always suggest doing dungeons. They get you loads of xp, a skill point for each first clear (if you do the quest), and also provide Undaunted rep. Bonus points for doing daily randoms. If you got friends that can help, you can get a LOT done in a little amount of time this way.

After you've cleared all you can / want to in dungeons, it's time to run around getting the outdoor Skyshards, Lorebooks, and important Wayshrines all discovered. This'll also provide good xp while similarly progressing your character in meaningful areas.

All these people who just grind dolmens or mob circuits baffle me, personally. You might get to level 50 a couple hours or so before me, but then you're still on a "brand new" toon, more or less. Try to get as much of the character progression you "need" out of the way in the leveling process, so when your turn in the PvP/vTrials/Pledges/eRP/whateversclever group comes up, you're good to go. That's my take, anyway.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    how about....

just play the game?

follow the story, that is what you paid for after all.

do the side quests, visit the delves and the dolmens.

it ain't rocket science...
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might not like it but Random battle grounds. As long as you come in 1st or 2nd it is 101K for the first and 31k XP bonus for each additional. May not sound like much but I can do those faster than I can most quests with the exception of the two dailies in Upper Craglorn. You also get AP to boot.

Edit: my bad, wasn't thinking about a below 50 character.
    Edited by Casdha on August 14, 2018 6:07PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Normal Maelstrom to get to level 10 for random dungeons (it's a quest). The title can also help reduce the chances people boot you for being low level and assume you're bad.

Use XP pots/scroll after bringing a bunch of dailies and a main quest up to completion. Pop the scroll right before you kill the last dungeon boss and go collect the rest of the quests you finished, but didn't turn in.

A few doses of Skyreach carries or Spellscar type grinds to mix it up a bit.

Hit the world bosses in between the skyshards (and lorebooks if you're mag based).

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Normal Maelstrom to get to level 10 for random dungeons (it's a quest). The title can also help reduce the chances people boot you for being low level and assume you're bad.

Use XP pots/scroll after bringing a bunch of dailies and a main quest up to completion. Pop the scroll right before you kill the last dungeon boss and go collect the rest of the quests you finished, but didn't turn in.

A few doses of Skyreach carries or Spellscar type grinds to mix it up a bit.

Hit the world bosses in between the skyshards (and lorebooks if you're mag based).

+1 for this person's post. Also solid options.
  • weg0
    weg0
    ✭✭✭
    Go do the public dungeons in each zone too. The quest there gives good xp and the group event gives another skill point.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to tell you, bored one, but the main quest is one of the main xp providers.... Do daily dungeons and anchors, they also provide a lot of xp.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best quests for leveling are Cyrodiil town quests
    These are daily quests one can pick in 5 different towns, 3 of these are defended and can be caputred while 2 are not POI.
    Towns with flags that can be captured:
    -Cropsford
    -Bruma
    -Vlastarus
    Towns with no AvA POI:
    -Cheydinal
    -Chorrol
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dolmens have two problems, one is finding ones close to way shrines that don’t have a billion players there, all diluting the xp like crazy, anyway second is that they nerfed those babies hard in the xp department. Do them once and move on unless it’s a fighters guild daily your doing. Four player dungeons are good, especially once you can do undaunted dailies

Quest wise make sure to do the repeatable guild quests as they can be much more generous each than some quests

Personally I don’t farm or grind xp as there is just no point, the xp just keeps piling up. If I’m in a hurry for a new charecter I just go all training, chug down a free xp scroll that the daily rewards seem so generous with, then just move through the zone like a hover. Quests, chests, thieves troves, books, skyshards, dolmens, world bosses, crafting writs, achievements, random events like that pair and their campfire, loot absolutely everything then just dump anything your not going to decon or use on an npc merchant or a guild vendor if your guild has one. (On a side note just stack it high and sell it cheap)

I don’t skip dialogue as I seem to need that in order to keep playing a charecter, every alt that started skipping quest dialogue has ended up deleted with me

Edited by Integral1900 on August 15, 2018 9:00AM
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually in Alik'r Desert probably the greatest amount of players is rolling in a massive group from one dolmen to another 24/7. The general chat is always spammed with +dolmen there. Massive Exp increase just from completing them multiple times, as there is a little chance for a hit or two in this crazy crowd killing everything in a second :).
    Edited by Gargath on August 15, 2018 9:06AM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    For leveling, you want skill points as well as XP. The main quest chain gives a skill point per quest, which is great. Also, once you unlock the normal dungeons, the first time you run each one also grants a quest that rewards a skill point upon completion.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • shauny.gibbsb16_ESO
    Doing the below 50 BG'S daily gives tons of XP if your group comes 1st or 2nd, even after that it's comparable to Dolmen xp and more fun.

As for quests, well I never found them fun or rewarding tbh
  • OrdoHermetica
    OrdoHermetica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Best quests for leveling are Cyrodiil town quests
    These are daily quests one can pick in 5 different towns, 3 of these are defended and can be caputred while 2 are not POI.
    Towns with flags that can be captured:
    -Cropsford
    -Bruma
    -Vlastarus
    Towns with no AvA POI:
    -Cheydinal
    -Chorrol

Of these, Cheydinhal is the fastest by a significant margin, followed by Cropsford, followed by Bruma. The other two take quite a bit longer simply because you have to ride all over the place to complete them.
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    On new toons, I get scrolls and immediately start doing both the main quest line, the alliance quest line, and every non-story related quest in each quest (as I am running the alliance quest, I don't progress to new zone until all quests are done in the zone I am in).

Also, I do my random daily battle ground as well.

I do everything with a scroll active. I make sure to have enough to get me to 50 as quickly as possible.

It may seem boring and like you aren't progressing enough, but these story lines give you plenty of XP to get to 50.

Everyone always says go to the Alik'r Dolmens. That is great and all, but I have tested this with other zone's Dolmens. If you are going this route, I advise doing the Auridon Dolmens. Not as many people as Alik'r but still enough to have a good train going. I notice you get more XP from this route, rather than the Alik'r route.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
    Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
    Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
    Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
    Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
    Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
    Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
    Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
    Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
    Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
    Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
    Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing battlegrounds was a fast way to level with on my latest character, and huge fun on top of that. It was actually faster than did expect, almost feel like deleting a character and making new one to go back doing it. :)
  • xCryBxbyx
    xCryBxbyx
    Main quest, Alliance quests and once you have reached level 10 make sure to do the daily dungeon. Also pick up the quest the first time you do a dungeon because you get a good amount of extra xp and a skill point. Dolmens are also a good xp source. If this is your first time playing though dont grind xp it ruins the experience of playing the game.
    Who-You-Fightin High Elf - Magden
    Steals-Many-Skooma Argonian - Magplar
    Eldeya High Elf - Magsorc
    Azishima Khajiit - Stamblade
  • Erris
    Erris
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the newbie islands... the three starter zones have a lot of very easy quests that give a lot of xp very quickly!