Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Help with Sorc PVP build

Norivar1
Norivar1
Hi All,

Have posted my build hoping that some people with more time and experience then me can help refine it.

64 Magkica
Food - Jugged rabbit in preserves
Mundus - Atronach

Helm - Infernal guardian - Light
Shoulders - Infernal guardian - Light
Chest - Shacklebreaker - Heavy
Gloves - Shacklebreaker - Light
Belt - Shacklebreaker - Light
Legs - Shacklebreaker - Medium
Boots - Shacklebreaker - Light
Neck and Rings - Lich - One Magkica rec two spell damage
Front bar weapons - 2x sword Torug's pact - one Nirn other Sharpened
Back bar wrapons - Lich - Resto - Defnding

Trait - Impen
Enchant - Magkica on small, Tri on big

Front barb
  • Crystal frag
  • Endless fury
  • Haunting curse
  • Rune cage
  • Dark conversion
  • Ice comet

Back bar
  • Power surge
  • Illustrious healing
  • Hardened ward
  • Harness magicka
  • Ball of lightning
  • Life giver

I have not done the CP yet as want to get skills and gear sorted to know where to put the points

• Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You'll not kill anything with that - apart from maybe a low-health, med armour opponent with meteor/cage burst (which is getting nerfed anyway). - although someone will still cry about it...

DW builds need tons of damage, not tons of sustain. If you can't kill on the burst (or do enough damage that they can't heal before your next burst), then the build won't work. Basically you need all damage/stat sets, not all sustain sets.

Better to switch to staff imho, and run cs or reach - just has too much going for it over DW.
    Edited by Biro123 on August 2, 2018 8:25AM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seems pretty solid. A few thoughts...

DW magsorc is generally considered very specialized compared to a destro staff. Almost all DW sorcs have given up, but I guess if you really want to play it, it can work decently.
    Two Willpower swords outperform two Torug's swords. But if you want to save the gold, it's alright.
    Frontbar Hardened Ward! It helps immensely with getting a Frag proc!
    I don't like Infernal Guardian anymore. Ever since the changes to it, I found it to be very clunky and unreliable. I would suggest mismatched 1pc Domi + 1pc Groth/Infernal. But that's me, if you're fine with IG, cool!
    Have you tried Witchmother's + Mage mundus? You should have enough stam from Shackle and Domi (if you opted for it), and that should give you more max magicka. It should also give you enough mag sustain to drop the jewelry regen glyph for a spellpower one.
    Resto backbar staff should be infused, frankly. Enchant it with a weapon/spellpower glyph, and you're looking at more than 500 additional spellpower all the time! Just don't light attack from the backbar until you cancel into a barswap. Typically, that's before Harness Magicka. I do highly recommend backbarring Curse, though. It'll make your glyph last until your whole combo ends, and you'll have the stamina regen passive on both bars (if you frontbarred Hardened).
    Lastly, getting Major Sorcery from potions, and using Mines for additional damage in CQC might help.

But remember, those are just suggestions. Your build is actually really solid. Only the choice of Dual Wield sticks out as a potential weakness.
    Oh, and Rune Cage will lose its damage next patch. This will have a huge impact.
  • Norivar1
    Norivar1
    @Lord-Otto thanks for the feedback. so i have swapped curse for ward and done the gear swap like you said. Got a question in regards to Major sorcery you get this from power surge so why would i need potions to do it? or where you saying swap that skill for mines

Going to go destro as you said and will run destructive reach instead of rune cage.

do you by any chance have a CP build for PVP sorc?
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Norivar1 wrote: »
    @Lord-Otto thanks for the feedback. so i have swapped curse for ward and done the gear swap like you said. Got a question in regards to Major sorcery you get this from power surge so why would i need potions to do it? or where you saying swap that skill for mines

Going to go destro as you said and will run destructive reach instead of rune cage.

do you by any chance have a CP build for PVP sorc?

Surge is typically a rather expendable skill. Sorcs struggle a bit with bar space, and this is a slot you can save.
    Mines are just a suggestion, for example, with destro staff, you'll rather slot Force Pulse or Crushing Shock. Rune Cage is at the moment a must, it's next DLC ("Wolfhunter"), when you wanna reconsider it. For now, DEFINITELY slot it!

As for CP,

51 Ironclad, 39 Resistant, 34 Thick Skinned, 43 Hardy, 43 Elemental Defender, 40 Bastion.
    72 Warlord, 75 Mooncalf, 75 Arcanist, 28 Tumbling.
    72 Elfborn, 56 Elemental Expert, 47 Spell Erosion, 3 Staff Expert, 72 Master-at-Arms.

Those are mine, and you can mostly use them likewise, but you should observe how often you're dodging and blocking, and adjust the green CP stars accordingly.
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Norivar1 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Have posted my build hoping that some people with more time and experience then me can help refine it.

64 Magkica
    Food - Jugged rabbit in preserves
    Mundus - Atronach

Helm - Infernal guardian - Light
    Shoulders - Infernal guardian - Light
    Chest - Shacklebreaker - Heavy
    Gloves - Shacklebreaker - Light
    Belt - Shacklebreaker - Light
    Legs - Shacklebreaker - Medium
    Boots - Shacklebreaker - Light
    Neck and Rings - Lich - One Magkica rec two spell damage
    Front bar weapons - 2x sword Torug's pact - one Nirn other Sharpened
    Back bar wrapons - Lich - Resto - Defnding

Trait - Impen
    Enchant - Magkica on small, Tri on big

Front barb
    • Crystal frag
    • Endless fury
    • Haunting curse
    • Rune cage
    • Dark conversion
    • Ice comet

Back bar
    • Power surge
    • Illustrious healing
    • Hardened ward
    • Harness magicka
    • Ball of lightning
    • Life giver

I have not done the CP yet as want to get skills and gear sorted to know where to put the points

Avoid magic sorc for PVP. Its garbage. You are wasting your time. Go with NB or magick DK or warden. Magic sorc have no advantage in PVP. You are going with 30 percent less passive compared to other classes without any debuffs even for name sake.
    +1 to cannon fodder.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on August 3, 2018 5:15PM
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drop the swords and pickup a fire staff.

You get the bonus from light and heavy attacks woven with every skill. This patch light attacks are brutal with staff CP.

Weaving attacks costs nothing. Just light->cancel with a skill.

You get the ult gen of those woven attacks

You get an 8% single target bonus damage to every skill on your Destro staff (front) bar.

You can slot elemental drain for major breach AND more Magicka regen. Crystal frags hits hard when the other guy has no spell resist.

You get to put an enchant on the fire staff, increase weapon damage or trigger a poison or shock glyph. Light attack waving just got more interesting.

Dual wield is old school, but not optimal anymore.
    Edited by Minalan on August 2, 2018 6:56PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to add:

Definitely fire staff as above - more damage from LAs, from enchantment or poisons, passives, ult gain and range

I'd drop infernal for 1/1 or Slimecraw
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to add:

Definitely fire staff as above - more damage from LAs, from enchantment or poisons, passives, ult gain and range

I used Infernal and it worked really good when it procs right before you cage some guy and they take 6K or so in fire bombs. Without cage? Yeah pick something else.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »
    Just to add:

I used Infernal and it worked really good when it procs right before you cage some guy and they take 6K or so in fire bombs. Without cage? Yeah pick something else.

The thing is, when DO you shield right before a cage? Only in really defensive situations, and then IG won't help much. The max mag and additional stam from Domi/Groth is always useful, on the other hand.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Just to add:

The thing is, when DO you shield right before a cage? Only in really defensive situations, and then IG won't help much. The max mag and additional stam from Domi/Groth is always useful, on the other hand.

Could see using it differently then, if you go IG + Defensive Rune + Mines?
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think dual wield sorc in CP is decent with rune cage buff this patch. It's a bit harder to play effectively though.
    Next patch maybe the sorc class itself might die off with the way things are going

Anyway I use 4 necro(2 swords) + 5 lich + 3 ancient grace / 3p max mag and 2 max mag monster
    I sit at about 55k max mag on front bar(tri stat food + mage mundus) with decent damage and shield stack along with entropy(heal) for survival. Also use overload bar for mines and power surge.

Bar setup looks like

Front: Hard ward / wrath/ cage/ frag/ aegis
    Back : Harness/ curse/ bol/ entropy/ heal ward

Alternatively spinner(sword) + lich + willpower + EG is decent but defensively a little weaker.
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on August 3, 2018 4:45PM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »
    Just to add:

Insanely specific, and you're wasting the "good" prison morph and the mine slot just to make your proc set work. May help at times, but your overall performance will very likely suffer.
  • MalagenR
    MalagenR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MalagenR wrote: »
    Just to add:

Insanely specific, and you're wasting the "good" prison morph and the mine slot just to make your proc set work. May help at times, but your overall performance will very likely suffer.

yea I mean the randomness of IG already makes it a starter set to me. When you're still learning when to shield spam to survive a burst rotation, etc. and incapable of putting pressure plus defending yourself in a 1v1. In any type of group v group besides sieges it's a negative.
  • Rarok_Yariy
    Rarok_Yariy
    ✭✭✭
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IG is situational, but pretty trash in open world. Ok for duels. I'd build base stats personally. Domi and groth, or tri stat food since you're running DC and use engine guardian. Really depends on what you are doing...group play? 1vX? Duels
    ?
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Duel wield isnt worth it anymore. Use a lightning staff (you wont use a destro skill so lightning is better) and use entropy light attack as your spammable. Also i never checked traits but use 3 well fitted. I use a similar set up except i use lich backbar spinners front and 2 pcs of willpower jewelry with 1 stam regen glyph, 2 mag regen and the max mundus. I have around 1500 mag regen front bar and 1700 back with lich i have unlimited sustain. I hit hard af and can 1vx very well with it. Give it a try.
  • Expert
    Expert
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't use lightning staff, use Fire Staff. The probability of you encountering a Vampire is pretty high and they're weak to Flame. Flame Staff also has a passive where if you slot a skill your single target damage is increased by 8%. This is a huge damage boost for things like Frags, Flame Reach, etc.

Lightning staff isn't that great, Flame Staff is where it's at.

If you find my comment questionable, check ESO magsorc builds in youtube, you'll find plenty in the bunch and they all chose Flame Staff.

Hope this insight helps!

- A professional Expoert