The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mag Sorc: Altmer or Dunmer?

Valrien
Valrien
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Been a Dunmer for 4 years now (even though I had the Any Race, Any Alliance bundle at launch...really should have just picked an EP Altmer).

Now that race change is available, do you think it would be worth the money to change races for the passives?
Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake

Mag Sorc: Altmer or Dunmer? 109 votes

Dunmer (Current)
39%
otis67Skuasaucefarb16_ESOguulSheezabeastDanteYodaDarkmage1337VahrokhRastoricKelcesVaranaLarianaSomewhereThe-BaconatorCloudlessChibsoMrRustMythicEmperorBeardimusFvh09NL 43 votes
Altmer (Race Change)
60%
RiptideCaligamy_ESOBennyButtonBigBraggPhilhypetony.keetsb16_ESOSilverWFThestephenmcraeub17_ESOkimaerilAhPook_Is_HereAdernathArandearEdziuRagnaroek93Oreyn_BearclawagegartonNolaArchEnemy-of-ColdharbourMayraelEmma_Overload 66 votes
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't think the difference is that important for you to pay ZoS on this one. The bonus stamina doesn't hurt you as a Dunmer in pvp and you get a nice juicy fire resist that altmer doesn't get. You're probably a vampire like everyone else as well so you're not hurting for regen. I wouldn't worry about it.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't think the difference is that important for you to pay ZoS on this one. The bonus stamina doesn't hurt you as a Dunmer in pvp and you get a nice juicy fire resist that altmer doesn't get. You're probably a vampire like everyone else as well so you're not hurting for regen. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well I don't mind paying, because I got paid this week and have no expenses to take care of for the moment.

It's just a matter of if I'll get more out of Altmer than Dunmer, really
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer (Current)
    You really want to be just another cookie cutter mag sorc? (stay Dunmer do not go cookie-cutter Altmer!)
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it really just depends what you want out of the character. Dunmer offers you a tougher platform with very similar dps but Altmer provides better regen and -slightly- better damage output at a resiliency loss. Bear in mind Dunmer bonus fire damage does help a lot if you're using fire staff a lot. I'd really say it depends on what you're doing. Its a toss up and that's why I'm saying if you like being Dunmer I'd stick with it.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it really just depends what you want out of the character. Dunmer offers you a tougher platform with very similar dps but Altmer provides better regen and -slightly- better damage output at a resiliency loss. Bear in mind Dunmer bonus fire damage does help a lot if you're using fire staff a lot. I'd really say it depends on what you're doing. Its a toss up and that's why I'm saying if you like being Dunmer I'd stick with it.

Does the fire resistance help? Last I check it was only about a 3%~ difference in damage received, but that info was somewhat old
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It actually depends on how much spell resist you already have, I guess. Either way the stamina (which I agree with you is more useful) is nice for rolling/blocking/etc.
    <And plenty more>
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton.
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a dps pet/daedric summoner build, or a healer an altmer would be more effective, if the intent is to make a dps without pets then dunmer with fire staffs is more effective.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer (Race Change)
    For PVE - High Elf, there is just nothing to discuss.
    For PVP - HE or Breton.
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • MuchShock
    MuchShock
    ✭✭✭
    Breton,

For when you pug a norm/vet dungeon and have to tank the boss, heal yourself, and do 90% of the group DPS at once. No tank no heals no problem.

I have some characters, play the game and do stuff. It's fun sometimes.

Xbox-NA
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer and Dunmer are the top races for magicka DPS. There is very little difference between them in performance.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 1, 2018 1:23AM
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer (Race Change)
    How can you ask this? Have you seen a Dunmer?
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    give them both a try.

• DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dunmer (Current)
    I always go dunmer, high elves in ESO are so oafish, remind me of fat ogres..
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orc.

So you can name it S’orc
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Orc.

So you can name it S’orc

But my name is already Valrien Dravic
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer (Current)
    Best overall performance in PvP, though others might provide better burst and shields.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go with what you like. I use Dark Elves because I think they look better overall. I don't even notice a difference in damage or in magic regen.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are running fire staves stick with Dunmer. Even if not, most of us are not really trying to push top dps so the difference is marginal.
    Altmer and Dunmer are the top races for magicka DPS. There is very little difference between them in performance.

This comment suprises me. You have often said being a vampire is required to min/max. The answer to OP's question is no less different for someone so keen on min/maxing.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer (Current)
    Tried both. Still prefer dunmer for pvp (i find more useful that extra stam instead of mag recovery, but it depends on build). For PVE high elf for petbuild and dunmer for no pet
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton.

Agreed and be better looking.
  • jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the real question here is: pet or no pet? In the first case, a High Elf is the best option; otherwise a Breton does perfectly the job.
    "Yesterday while searching a barrel in vVoM I found a lemon. Best drop of the whole run."

Protect the weak. Heal the sick.
    Treasure the gifts of friendship. Seek joy and inspiration in the mysteries of love.
    Honor the Earth, its creatures, and the spirits. Use Nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power. Fear her fury.
  • oMrRust
    oMrRust
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer (Current)
    Dunmer BiS.
    Front & Backbar flame staves.
    and sustain is just fine
    Edited by oMrRust on August 1, 2018 6:48AM
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer (Race Change)
    Altmer wins in both pet and non-pet scenarios.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer (Current)
    It's a marginal difference and you gain in other ways - 3% fire back if ur vamp.

Also SIR YOU ARE EP. what are you thinking. AD are scum. Altmer in particular. Don't sell your soul for a ~1% gain
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer (Race Change)
    Well, Altmer is better then Dunmer because it's an AD race. If you want EP character the best idea is to just delete character. EP are toxic and overpopulated.
  • Chibs
    Chibs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer (Current)
    Radinyn wrote: »
    Well, Altmer is better then Dunmer because it's an AD race. If you want EP character the best idea is to just delete character. EP are toxic and overpopulated.

Eh both alliances are toxic and overpopulated
  • TheInfernalRage
    TheInfernalRage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer (Race Change)
    Altmer if you really need to scratch that itch. But if you're using more fire-related skills, you can stick with the Dunmer now. I don't think the difference is that huge.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dunmer (Current)
    I have both a Dunmer and an Altmer magsorc.
    Usually the Altmer pulls a tiny more DPS (like 1k) but at the moment if you go fire/fire staff + BSW, Dunmer is BiS.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Radinyn wrote: »

ZOS officially stated that high elves were the most popular race. I think it's obvious which alliance is the most overpopulated.