The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What Type of Templar Do You Enjoy Playing?

Minno
Minno
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Didn't see this type of poll before, and @Checkmath asked if I wanted to start one. So here we are!

What style of Templar do you like to play? Do you associate your templar with a caster mage/priest that uses resto/destro with shields? Do you like to head into combat with heavy armor like a knight using whatever weapon you want? Or do you like to roleplay an Elder Scrolls monk running Bow/melee weapon pretending jabs looks like a fury of "unarmed" damage?

Tell us your pick and why! (links and videos to builds as well!)
I play a Monk, Bow/Jabs with an emphasis on slowing down targets and debuffing targets' stamina while switching between melee/range:
Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
- Guild-lead for MV
- Filthy Casual

What Type of Templar Do You Enjoy Playing? 105 votes

Cleric/Crusader - Heavy Armor Healer (Healbot, Blockbots, Etc)
11%
MisterBigglesworthSotha_SilGuppetTiphisZakazhchris211FakeFoxSpartabunny08ZeroXFFDoonerSeraphStarlight_Knightganj1234 12 votes
Caster Priest/Mage/Healer - Light Armor Rangeplar or Healer (Dual staffs, Destro Abilities, Etc)
35%
SolarikenTryxusSilverWFkojouxcalibur007Destaisix2fallSnowZeniaCadburyArchMikemLieblingsjungeIntegral1900PuzzlenutsRunefangGnortranermaraDrdeath20SiliziumdioxidAcadianPaladinSievertsvanadandy 37 votes
Warrior/Spellsword - Heavy Armor Melee Damage Dealer (Heavy Armor Melee Stamplar, Heavy Armor Melee Magplar, Etc)
14%
kaithuzarKoensoltplink3r1amithmmtaniacSorisSkinzzNBrookusCryhavoccpuScientistBNOCSilverIce58Lichbourne90CheckmathJXNwarrior 15 votes
Monk/Pilgrim - Medium Armor Melee or Bow Damage Dealer ( Melee, Bow and Dodge)
7%
kickback120ub17_ESOtechnohicMinnojhall03Amdar_GodkillerAlucuJierdanitRagnarock41 8 votes
Archer/Witchhunter - Medium Armor Bow/whatever weapon (Bow+Bow, Bow+Backbar 2h, Etc)
1%
Cage_LizardmanJobooAGS 2 votes
Knight - Heavy Armor Tank (Dual Sword+Shield, Etc)
7%
dodgehopper_ESOsummitxhoNarvuntienKurtAngle2StibbonsflamesingRaraakuStarlock 8 votes
Other - Explain In Comment
21%
Joy_DivisionDeadlyRecluseMojmirSpringt-Über-ZwergeValagashDarkmage1337NobleX35 KelcesmeekeyceeSkullstachioCyrusAryaKadoinMureelUppGRAYxDDYamiKurukucasparianmunster1404TheDoomsdayMonsterCuthceolFlamingBeard 23 votes
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Various, I have two templars, so...

My magicka templar I prefer with two staffs, mostly as a healer, sometimes frost tank aswell.

The other one is stamina based and there I like to use 7 pieces heavy, but I got quite some fun out of full medium aswell.

But you could say, I don't like playing a magicka templar with heavy armor.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Knight was the closest pick to what I was envisioning when I started the game. I don't view Knight the same way as you though, as they would just as likely be wielding a 2handed weapon like a greatsword or a polearm.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warrior/Spellsword - Heavy Armor Melee Damage Dealer (Heavy Armor Melee Stamplar, Heavy Armor Melee Magplar, Etc)
    sword and shield backbar and greatsword frontbar on my magplar, nothing better than a holy warrior swinging his spear.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knight was the closest pick to what I was envisioning when I started the game. I don't view Knight the same way as you though, as they would just as likely be wielding a 2handed weapon like a greatsword or a polearm.

Yea I tried to categorize then as much as possible within the realm of elder scrolls lore.

For this the Knight protects and controls. Warriors are more damage oriented, according to my poll.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caster Priest/Mage/Healer - Light Armor Rangeplar or Healer (Dual staffs, Destro Abilities, Etc)
    Because templar-kit is meh, passives are meh and we don't have a relevant class ult / stun. :)
    Total Dark's good on paper. But the fact that it basically gives people free cc-immunity is meh. Let's the control to the player - and not yourself.
    Javelin? You want to knock people out of your already messed up jabs hitbox, eh? Let's not mention the reflect. (Knocking yourself off cliffs, any1?)

Best cc I can think of in the templar kit - Nova synergy :trollface:

Had a lot of fun on my destro/Resto templar in BGs/Smallscale PvP. Offers some DoT-damage whilst keeping up the defences and/or group buffs for your team.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • FlamingBeard
    FlamingBeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor PvP melee magplar --

Pirate Skeleton
    front bar Willpower lightning staff (for Elemental Drain)
    back bar Wizard's Riposte restoration staff (for Rapid Regeneration, which is a laughable band-aid of a HoT) or sword&shield (for Absorb Magic because Templar REALLY needs relief from ranged pressure)
    3 Spell Power Cure jewelry, 2 body
    3 Wizard's Riposte body

Templar REALLY needs a magicka based projectile absorption skill to defend itself when multiple ranged magicka builds or Lethal Arrow spammers are barraging the Templar, both of which Templar currently has no counter or reliable solution for other than to use Mist Form and pray that they give up chasing you.

Sorcerer has projectile and beam nullification with Ball of Lightning, Nightblade has DoT and projectile avoidance with Shadowy Disguise, Dragonknight has projectile redirection with Dragon Fire Scales; Warden has projectile nullification and ultimate gain with Shimmering Shield.

There is no logical conclusion in which Templar should not have a similarly-functioning skill.

Total Dark is not equivalent to ANY of these skills in defensive strength, as Total Dark is not a self-centered buff like all those other skills and it gives individual enemies complete control over the skill's effects AND also insults Templars looking for a good CC since it disables NONE of an enemy's offensive or defensive capabilities but grants them CC immunity anyway.
    Edited by FlamingBeard on July 31, 2018 10:46PM
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t think you can fit eso builds or characters into predefined archetypes like this. It’s too subjective to each persons approach.

I play my Templar as a high damage medium armor dual wield/2h Stamplar. Like the sun, nothing can quite stand to stare it in the face for too long before succumbing to the piercing rays of light. Intense and savage, skewering enemies while bathing in radiance.

I would hardly call that a pilgrim or a monk, lol.
    Edited by CyrusArya on July 31, 2018 10:40PM
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »
    I don’t think you can fit eso builds or characters into predefined archetypes like this. It’s too subjective to each persons approach.

I play my Templar as a high damage medium armor dual wield/2h Stamplar. Like the sun, nothing can quite stand to stare it in the face for too long before succumbing to the piercing rays of light. Intense and savage, skewering enemies while bathing in radiance.

Yea that's more warrior, except medium.

It was a challenge to get poll options without alot options cluttering the results, and I missed a medium armor archetype using DW.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Siliziumdioxid
    Siliziumdioxid
    ✭✭✭
    my life is way better without jabs... and i want it to stay that way
    Guild: Ancaria
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I play tanky melee damageplar, both mag and stam. I didn't select Warrior/Spellsword simply because heavy armor isn't always the most efficient way to build a character like that, depending on what sets are available, the prevailing meta, the game mode I'm in, etc. But the builds I enjoy are always high mitigation, high damage, *** mobility and as low sustain as I can get away with.

Edit: the above is for PVP. In PVE I play Sweeps-less casterplar and have enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.
    Edited by casparian on July 31, 2018 11:24PM
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Running around at lightspeed, flashing and beaming my way to victory.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Troll and experimental builds before using it on my mag NB that is superior to my templar at damage, sustain, healing, tanking, etc. and then wondering why I have 4 templars.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I picked Warrior, but I actually liked playing templar as a semi-support build, someone who can protect allies and harass the enemy, but still fight alone if need be.
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two templars. My main is a light armor Ranged DD for PVE solo play, and I have a light armor Healer for PVE group play. Both based on Alcast builds.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After years of sweeps, i cannot slot the skill anymore. Its soo mindless and slowly takes over a rotation. I moved aways and now im having a little fun as a caster.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know your class is a shadow of what it once was when your preferred style isn't even listed as an option:

Light armor in your face jabby jabby jabby.

Then again, I of course do not play such a style bc/ I don't like playing horse ride simulator
    Edited by Joy_Division on August 1, 2018 4:10AM
  • Springt-Über-Zwerge
    Springt-Über-Zwerge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Melee light armor 2h front resto back bar thats how I play
    PC,EU, EP
    Der-über-Zwerge-springt (Argonian, Magplar), Surtur Velothi (Dunmer, Magdk), Jaqene H'ghar (Imperial, Stamblade), Puppyslayer (Orc, Stamdk), Dagoth Era (Dunmer, Magblade), Æthmon Trevas (Altmer, Magsorc), Der-Zuletzt-Lacht (Argonian, Magden), Sir-Lanzeflott (Redguard, Stamplar)
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over time I've ran just about all possible setups but the main four I've played have been:
    1. DW + Resto
    2. DW + SNB
    3. Destro(Fire) + Destro(Ice)
    4. DW + 2H - Preferred setup now.

I am aggressive and look to do damage so honestly wish my Templar was more like a ShadowPriest from WoW.
    Edited by BNOC on August 1, 2018 12:42PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »

That's me too. I'm a DW/2H Werewolf Stamplar Orc.

Gartok the Lonely
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My second character, who has pretty much become my main, is a Breton MagPlar - destro/resto/light armor. I see her as a devotee of Arkay and she does the righteous smiting while healing her allies.

She used to run with her Stamplar partner but he got fed up with the nerfs and became a DK.
    Edited by anadandy on August 1, 2018 1:13PM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other than trials healer, crafter.

The fact that all my things are on her, is the only reason I've not deleted her.

Literally over it.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like playing one that isnt nerfed and has sustain.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »
    i like playing one that isnt nerfed and has sustain.

You mean a stamwarden?
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What, no category for light armor damage dealer? I guess we are becoming unicorns...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I carry multiple gearsets so I can swap around (and every patch, all of the builds I carry tend to change).

Generally, I like to be 3 different things every patch:
    1. An efficient healer, resilient against being focused but still pouring out solid heals.
    2. Something unexpected. Proxyplar bomber, dark flare ganking, etc. Just something fun to pull out that might not be good, but takes people off guard.
    3. A brawling midweight open-field build. Paladin-esque, something that can tank a few players, do well in 1v1s and occasionally 1vX, but also get in and out of large scale fights when surfing solo.

...doesn't really answer the question you are asking, but I've found all of those to be viable almost every single patch. Unfortunately, 1 and 3 usually require mistform, which is kind of a bummer.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    What, no category for light armor damage dealer? I guess we are becoming unicorns...

I bundled light armor together with staff which included both damage and healing.

I didn't think to get more detailed, because it's usually an offshoot of Spellsword except instead of heavy you use light.
    Edited by Minno on August 1, 2018 2:36PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry multiple gearsets so I can swap around (and every patch, all of the builds I carry tend to change).

Generally, I like to be 3 different things every patch:
    1. An efficient healer, resilient against being focused but still pouring out solid heals.
    2. Something unexpected. Proxyplar bomber, dark flare ganking, etc. Just something fun to pull out that might not be good, but takes people off guard.
    3. A brawling midweight open-field build. Paladin-esque, something that can tank a few players, do well in 1v1s and occasionally 1vX, but also get in and out of large scale fights when surfing solo.

...doesn't really answer the question you are asking, but I've found all of those to be viable almost every single patch. Unfortunately, 1 and 3 usually require mistform, which is kind of a bummer.

This exactly answers the poll!

I think it's great to see how players see their Templars. Because without that vision, how can we expect zos to come up with solutions to our class' problems if even we cannot describe how we play?
    Edited by Minno on August 1, 2018 2:36PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Raraaku
    Raraaku
    ✭✭✭✭
    I basically have one of each; but I love my Templar Tank. Especially after grinding through the Psijic Quests and getting Meditate skill with the Deliberation passive.
    Back from a much needed break. || I like having too many projects and working on them all at once.

Tank Enthusiast || CP: 445 || Stormproof

Tanks
    Karsaak gro-Ursa: DC || Orc || Stamina Dragonknight || Tank || Level: CP 445
    Sir Leopold Stotch: DC || Breton || Magicka Templar || Tank || Level: 445
    Protects-Squishy-Ones: EP || Argonian || Magicka Sorcerer || Tank/CC || Level: CP 445
    Björn Shadow-Walker: EP || Nord || Stamina Nightblade || Tank || Level: 15
    Tiberius Valerion: AD || Imperial || Stamina Warden || Tank || Level: 15

Damage Dealers
    Morrigan Ravyn-Cloak: AD || Altmer || Magicka Nightblade || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ra'Zahkara: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Dragonknight || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ezra al-Khazir: DC || Redguard || Stamina Templar || DPS || Level: 40
    Erryndril Telvaux: EP || Dunmer || Magicka Dragonknight || DPS || Level: 25
    Uzara gra-Khalari: DC || Orc || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [2H/DW] || Level: 15
    Solomon Motierre: DC || Breton || Magicka Sorcerer || DPS || Level: 20
    Ragnar the Wulf: EP || Nord || Stamina Warden || DPS || Level: 30
    Ra'Rahku: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [Bow/Bow] || Level: 15

Healers
    Sees-through-Hist: EP || Argonian || Magicka Warden || Healer/CC || CP 445
    Daedalus the Artificer: AD || Altmer || Magicka Templar || Healer || Level: 15
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have 2, one is a PvP mage and the other is PvE Stamina build. When I think about Templars I think about the Mage, but I actually play the Stamina more.
    Playing since beta...
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think of myself as a self-sufficient combat medic. I'm built to heal in the middle of the mess, get people up and fighting again quickly, and help out with some buffs/debuffs, stuns and executes. I can also 1vX in a pinch, but it's usually going to take a while, unless you're a squishy NB.

*I also have a 2h/dw medium armour Stamplar and a dw/destro heavy armor Magplar, so I'm all over the place.
    Edited by p00tx on August 6, 2018 8:07PM
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero