The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

MagBlade - BiS for Max DPS - Based on Rakat nuke under 3 Mins

• hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @hedna123b14_ESO , where personal insults begin, dialogue stops. When I listen to someone's admission on video, I assume they're honest; if you suspect he's lying - you can take it up with him. Aside from that, I can only says that it would appear that he's a GM, and his trial team just got new highest score for Cloudrest as of week ago (on PC/EU, ~1k higher than current top for PC/US). Details, I don't really track. Either way, I take it that your answer is "no", there were no test you're aware of. Thanks for feedback.

@Oreyn_Bearclaw , thanks for being constructive. :) And I'm not challenging the point that simple static rotation is a DPS loss, it surely is. I just wanted to say that it's not absolute; apparently, static might be more practical in more dynamic fights (as opposed to stack and burn).

As for sets and scaling - I think it's worth checking some time. I won't be categorical, maybe there are some raid buffs that scale in non-linear way with critical chance and/or spell damage (on top of those @Masel92 already have accounted for in his test), then damage with those sets will be scaling differently; there's always a room for an unknown. But I'd just say that it would be proper to give Thief+Julianos benefit of the doubt. Personally, if I'll ever cave in and give magblade a shot, I'll give it a test-drive if only for experiment's sake. I'd even say that, should it come within 5-10% to Thief+MS, it'd be a great discovery for people starting their builds and wanting to be as efficient as it gets with just a six-trait crafted set instead of one worth half a million gold.

You're free to use whatever gear you wish. As I indicated above the difference for casual players wont really matter. As far as insulting you, I did not. I responded normally but it seems that you just skip over my response, which is after all your choice:) One last time since my last two comments didnt make it clear. Everything is tested, not by just me, but by around 50 people, this is how meta is created. I personally test as well as around 50 others. As far as Alcast, his advice is widely know to target the casual crowd. I think in your particular case it would be wise to heed his advice since you seem to strike me a as casual player. If you do consider to venture into competitive endgame, I urge you to seek more appropriate sources of information.
    Edited by hedna123b14_ESO on July 30, 2018 6:13PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for sets and scaling - I think it's worth checking some time. I won't be categorical, maybe there are some raid buffs that scale in non-linear way with critical chance and/or spell damage (on top of those @Masel92 already have accounted for in his test), then damage with those sets will be scaling differently; there's always a room for an unknown. But I'd just say that it would be proper to give Thief+Julianos benefit of the doubt. Personally, if I'll ever cave in and give magblade a shot, I'll give it a test-drive if only for experiment's sake. I'd even say that, should it come within 5-10% to Thief+MS, it'd be a great discovery for people starting their builds and wanting to be as efficient as it gets with just a six-trait crafted set instead of one worth half a million gold.

This thread has nothing to do with people starting out and using crafted sets. The topic was asking what is the absolute best gear to pull of a very specific feat, burning Rakkhat. I think it’s nearly unanimous that Siroria+Sorrow+Thief is the answer. There are numerous options that fall within 10%. Not sure why you are weighing in on this if you haven’t even played magblade.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @hedna123b14_ESO , I didn't skip over your response. I think I'll do so now, though.

@WrathOfInnos , the argument of 10% and new builds, for completeness' sake. The rest, because numerically, Thief+Julianos may be virtually indistinguishable from meta, and that's not my statement, but coming from class representative. But heaven forbid, I'm not here to stop you from choosing the community-preferred options.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread has nothing to do with people starting out and using crafted sets. The topic was asking what is the absolute best gear to pull of a very specific feat, burning Rakkhat. I think it’s nearly unanimous that Siroria+Sorrow+Thief is the answer. There are numerous options that fall within 10%. Not sure why you are weighing in on this if you haven’t even played magblade.

Just ignore him, he isnt an endgame player anyway
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    The actual skill numbers of the setups are very close, but there's one key difference between spell damage and critical: critical buffs enchantments, which spell damage does not.

So the above numbers are definitely correct, however the contribution from spell damage is diminished by siroria and major courage, while critical is rather amplified.

The difference is still not as big as some say it is.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point about enchants. This would definitely have more impact on a fight like Rakkhat, where Prismatic weapons are a significant percent of DPS. It will probably be more impactful next patch as well, since it’s looking like multiple damage proc enchants could beat out berserker on some builds.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Good point about enchants. This would definitely have more impact on a fight like Rakkhat, where Prismatic weapons are a significant percent of DPS. It will probably be more impactful next patch as well, since it’s looking like multiple damage proc enchants could beat out berserker on some builds.

Screenshot_2018-07-30-23-55-062.png

In case someone needs a reminder which stat, cp etc buffs what...
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will shamelessly enjoy the pleasure of being ignored and try to write a few numbers to put things in perspective. Feel free to correct. But above all, feel free to ignore.

Assuming prismatic onslaught base damage to be ~8.18k on infused weapon and critical modifier of 1.9 (for critical damage of ~15.27k), one can calculate that increasing critical chance from 60% to 68.78% (effect of Mother's Sorrow) will increase average damage per fired enchantment from 12.37k to 13.01k, by about 600 points. Assuming raid buff of whole damage of 60%, that'll result in gain per trigger of 1k damage. With enchantment cooldown of 2 seconds, in raid setting it might amount to a whopping 0.5k DPS gain, about 0.6% from 80k DPS vocalized earlier, or just over one second of gain in 3-minute fight. That's just to get a rough idea of numbers in play.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol..."Hey guys I dont competitively PvE, but I have all of these suggestions and analysis I'd like to share with you"....nope, doesnt sound stupid at all...
  • Cybercore_Death
    Cybercore_Death
    ✭✭✭
    There’s a lot to take on from the responses so I thank you all for replying. There seems to be commonalities which is what I expected.

I appreciate that a key part of any raid group is buffs / debuffs so with those out of the equations it’s easier to which direction to go.

As for rotation I haven’t myself explored a dynamic rotation as such and generally stick to static ones.

To put you in the picture of where I am.

I have a StamDK (currently under review due to damage lost this patch).

MagDK (using a variation of @Masel92 build with a few tweaks to CP and skill order) which hits 36k consistently.

PetSorc (based on Dotzz rotation and again a few tweaks to CP) which hits 36k consistently.

Both my Mag builds are dunmer as that’s my race of choice (also used on my StamDK before he was changed to a Khajiit).

I’m aware that I can get more from both builds but having recently hit the 36k mark after being stuck between 25k and 30k for so long I’m quite happy with that accomplishment. I know to some 36k is a small number to be hitting and I appreciate why those people would feel that way and that’s fine.

My reason for asking about MagBlades (in general as well as for the Nuke) is because there’s always been a chatter than NB in general are the “master class” and “have he highest DPS for endgame”. I’m sure some of this is true and having had a few things explained to me I now understand where some of the numbers come from.

I myself play on Xbox EU so don’t have he luxury of PC addons to hell improve my game (though it would be nice) so instead I do DPS tests on a 6mik robust target using Apprentice / Warrior / Thief (dependent on the build in question) to get an idea on where I’m at. All my tests are solo as I know then (as long as the group is good) that my actual damage will be higher in a raid.

My game experience is all trials completed on normal (standard). All Crag trials done on Vet and having been in a vMoL prog group that is no more I’ve seen the twins down as far as 13% (on an inferior build to the above, I was just hitting 30k at that point in time).

So with the MagBlades. I know the gear. I know the Mundus. What I would like to know is what skills, CP and an example of a dynamic rotations and what food / potions are used to sustain this neighbour a fight.

Again thank you all in advance for your help. My aim is to learn and better understand how people achieve the numbers and then learn to replicate this myself (as best I can) on console. Of course I’m aware of the imminent patch which may alter thins slightly again but that’s a bridge to cross when the time comes.

I hope this helps you all to better understand my position and why I have asked the question.

Also, please be respectful of each other’s input. We all have various levels of experience in the game and through our own testing have come to our own conclusions about certain things. Instead be kind and help each other to understand how you’ve come to the conclusions you have and help each other to learn things the other may not have known. That’s how we all get better in the end ^-^
    I'm a Dunmer DK Damage Dealer - My that's a lot of D's
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s a lot to take on from the responses so I thank you all for replying. There seems to be commonalities which is what I expected.

I appreciate that a key part of any raid group is buffs / debuffs so with those out of the equations it’s easier to which direction to go.

As for rotation I haven’t myself explored a dynamic rotation as such and generally stick to static ones.

MagDK (using a variation of @Masel92 build with a few tweaks to CP and skill order) which hits 36k consistently.

PetSorc (based on Dotzz rotation and again a few tweaks to CP) which hits 36k consistently.

Both my Mag builds are dunmer as that’s my race of choice (also used on my StamDK before he was changed to a Khajiit).

I’m aware that I can get more from both builds but having recently hit the 36k mark after being stuck between 25k and 30k for so long I’m quite happy with that accomplishment. I know to some 36k is a small number to be hitting and I appreciate why those people would feel that way and that’s fine.

My reason for asking about MagBlades (in general as well as for the Nuke) is because there’s always been a chatter than NB in general are the “master class” and “have he highest DPS for endgame”. I’m sure some of this is true and having had a few things explained to me I now understand where some of the numbers come from.

I myself play on Xbox EU so don’t have he luxury of PC addons to hell improve my game (though it would be nice) so instead I do DPS tests on a 6mik robust target using Apprentice / Warrior / Thief (dependent on the build in question) to get an idea on where I’m at. All my tests are solo as I know then (as long as the group is good) that my actual damage will be higher in a raid.

My game experience is all trials completed on normal (standard). All Crag trials done on Vet and having been in a vMoL prog group that is no more I’ve seen the twins down as far as 13% (on an inferior build to the above, I was just hitting 30k at that point in time).

So with the MagBlades. I know the gear. I know the Mundus. What I would like to know is what skills, CP and an example of a dynamic rotations and what food / potions are used to sustain this neighbour a fight.

Again thank you all in advance for your help. My aim is to learn and better understand how people achieve the numbers and then learn to replicate this myself (as best I can) on console. Of course I’m aware of the imminent patch which may alter thins slightly again but that’s a bridge to cross when the time comes.

I hope this helps you all to better understand my position and why I have asked the question.

Also, please be respectful of each other’s input. We all have various levels of experience in the game and through our own testing have come to our own conclusions about certain things. Instead be kind and help each other to understand how you’ve come to the conclusions you have and help each other to learn things the other may not have known. That’s how we all get better in the end ^-^

No problem:)
    Mundus is Thief
    Gear is Siroria/Mothers Sorrow/Zaan

Front bar: Inner Light, Crippling Grasp , Merciless Resolve, Impale, Elemental Weapon, Destro Ult

Back Bar: Inner Light, Siphoning Attacks, Elemental Blockade, Twisting Path, Harness Magicka, Soul Harvest ult.

Dynamic rotation means there is no set rotation, just priorities.
    #1 Never let your blockade run out
    #2 Prioritize Assasin's will procs
    #3 Try to keep all DoTs up and only use spammable if DoTs are all ticking.
    #4 In execute keep up Blockade and execute away:)

CP will vary based on group debuffs, I think in your particular case I would do:
    61 Elfborn, 56 Elemental expert, 27 Spell Erosion, 61 Master at Arms, 8 Staff Expert, 37 Thaumaturge

For food I would go for Witchmothers Brew and once you start getting better and start running with a better group you can try bi-stat food.
    Edited by hedna123b14_ESO on July 31, 2018 11:27PM
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Mundus is Thief

Front bar: Inner Light, Crippling Grasp , Merciless Resolve, Impale, Elemental Weapon, Destro Ult

Back Bar: Inner Light, Siphoning Attacks, Elemental Blockade, Twisting Path, Harness Magicka, Soul Harvest ult.

#4 In execute keep up impale and execute away:)

CP will vary based on group debuffs, I think in your particular case I would do:
    61 Elfborn, 56 Elemental expert, 27 Spell Erosion, 61 Master at Arms, 8 Staff Expert, 37 Thaumaturge

For food I would go for Witchmothers Brew and once you start getting better and start running with a better group you can try bi-stat food.

Did you mean keep up Blockade during execute?
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Mundus is Thief

Always keep it up unless the boss will die in the next 4 seconds or so. Path too but it's lower priority if both fall off.

Grasp drops off in execute.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Mundus is Thief

Yea lol...typo, thanks for the catch
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    Runefang wrote: »
    Sororia and Mother’s Sorrow. Siroria because it’s op as all hell and MS for the extra crit. Makes for fat bow procs and fat executes.

Sorrow+Apprentice is basically exactly similar to thief and julianos.

Thief gives 10.5% critical and julianos 300 spell damage, and sorrow gives 8.78% critical and apprentice gives 365 spell damage.

So don't pay 500k for sorrow staves if you can craft julianos, use thief and be done with it.

The difference between their average damage from my skills is 0.006%, which is a difference of 24 if you did 40k dps. Not 24k, 24.

They're running Thief + Mother's Sorrow though. This scales better in trials with Major Force available and a high crit chance put on top of Siroria's massive spell damage boost is better than Apprentice.

Not to mention that all magicka toons now (should) run minor force in some form which makes extra crit chance more valuable as well.

Siroria with sorrow+thief yields me 14117 weighted average damage, while sorrow+apprentice yields 14003. Thief and julianos is 14027. That is with full siroria, major force, minor force and 20% elfborn. They are all within 1%... Still not worth paying 500k. This whole debate is so exaggerated :smiley:

I only paid 70k per purple quality mother sorrow flame staffs. I shopped around A LOT. I then transmuted the traits I wanted. Jewelry costed me 75k, found the necklace and rings for 25k each at a trader again, i shopped around. So I only paid closer to 210k depends on how patient/lucky you are. I'm on ps4 NA.
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    By now most of us have seen the nuke videos where a group of MagBlades absolutely destroy Rakat beyond recognition in under 3 minutes.

Well, not me apparently

If you havent seen it yet, had it yesterday in my yt feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuhQ1jXFw3o
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of questions:
    • Why would the destro ultimate be front-barred and Soul Harvest back-barred instead of the other way around?
    • I've never understood why people chug spell power/weapon power pots in groups with DKs. Wouldn't an occasional cast of Igneous Weapons either save people a lot of gold spent on pots, or else allow the use of pots that do other things? ("Other things" probably means more help with defense/survival or else mobility.)
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of questions:
    • Why would the destro ultimate be front-barred and Soul Harvest back-barred instead of the other way around?
    • I've never understood why people chug spell power/weapon power pots in groups with DKs. Wouldn't an occasional cast of Igneous Weapons either save people a lot of gold spent on pots, or else allow the use of pots that do other things? ("Other things" probably means more help with defense/survival or else mobility.)

1. Soul Harvest back bar for the assasination passive.
    2. People raiding competitively chug potions on cooldown, because:
    A. They provide all valuable resources and buffs
    B. Support's bars are usually already clogged
    C. In the endgame people dont have issues with gold...at least on high end teams..
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of questions:

C. In the endgame people dont have issues with gold...at least on high end teams..

And dont forget that we need a front bar destro skill as well for the ST bonus. We cant put blockade there because we need it where our VMA staff is, which is always back bar, as we want 5/5/2 on our front bar.

Your thought on igneous was everyones first thought when they made changes to that skill. The real answer is that end game DPS trust only themselves for this buff, and potion costs just dont move the needle for an end game player. I make SP pots in batches of a thousand usually. Plunder more than covers the costs if you raid enough.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 2, 2018 6:05PM
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    @Masel92 You're comments are always appreciated. Thanks and ignore the haters.

@Oreyn_Bearclaw well written. Still curious how you are getting 50k mag non pet (from another thread, lol)
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    @sudaki_eso That video is the reason I don't raid...lol...too damn tight for my fat fingers. Well done...incredible teamwork.
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A couple of questions:

And dont forget that we need a front bar destro skill as well for the ST bonus. We cant put blockade there because we need it where our VMA staff is, which is always back bar, as we want 5/5/2 on our front bar.

Your thought on igneous was everyones first thought when they made changes to that skill. The real answer is that end game DPS trust only themselves for this buff, and potion costs just dont move the needle for an end game player. I make SP pots in batches of a thousand usually. Plunder more than covers the costs if you raid enough.

And end-game tanks in some of that hard content just have so much to do anyway. Providing a buff that can be obtained easily elsewhere isn't really their concern.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it when engineers and mathematicians make their diagrams and models, trying to prove something, but true audiophiles, connoisseurs of sound, are able to hear the clear difference provided by those $10K finger-thick oxygen-free copper cables... ^^

He was correct for just running around open world and who in their right mind would spend 500k on gear for just open world.

When talking about raids one certainly needs to consider what to expect buff wise and how that affects the end results if they are going to try demonstrating something via math.

As I always suggest to people. Only consider builds that have been proven out. Never one that is just all talk.
  • Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here’s my question:

Is vma staff worth it on a mag nb?

I just got mine. But then in thinking about it as a Nightblade I rarely heavy attack. So wouldn’t mothers sorrow both bars be better?
  • adeptusminor
    adeptusminor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here’s my question:

I just got mine. But then in thinking about it as a Nightblade I rarely heavy attack. So wouldn’t mothers sorrow both bars be better?

It absolutely is worth it on magblades, vma staffs also buff light attacks.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorilla wrote: »
    @Masel92 You're comments are always appreciated. Thanks and ignore the haters.

@Oreyn_Bearclaw well written. Still curious how you are getting 50k mag non pet (from another thread, lol)

@Gorilla if you run perfect Siroria + MS, all arcane, and mage Mundas with clockwork fillet, you will be at 47k magic. With a war horn, you are north of 50. It’s not max DPS in a raid, but in 4 man, I really like it.

Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 3, 2018 5:44AM
  • Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here’s my question:

It absolutely is worth it on magblades, vma staffs also buff light attacks.

Oh man haha I did not realize that. I thought it was just heavy. Hot dang!
  • Harbinger_GR
    Harbinger_GR
    ✭✭
    Sororia and Mother’s Sorrow. Siroria because it’s op as all hell and MS for the extra crit. Makes for fat bow procs and fat executes.

Thief gives 10.5% critical and julianos 300 spell damage, and sorrow gives 8.78% critical and apprentice gives 365 spell damage.

So don't pay 500k for sorrow staves if you can craft julianos, use thief and be done with it.

The difference between their average damage from my skills is 0.006%, which is a difference of 24 if you did 40k dps. Not 24k, 24.

@Masel92
    As a brand new magblade this is very good to hear. What would you suggest as a the second 5 piece easy to get set for someone looking to start trials? Spinners? Mech. A? Burning Spellweave?
    Edited by Harbinger_GR on August 3, 2018 2:12PM
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You want to have Siroria on the Body, so Juli/Sorrow will only be on frontbar, while the boon is on both. Did you include that in your calculation?
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    beginner gear isnt even hard to get.
    farm normal cloudrest for imperfect siroria and deshaan for mothers sorrow or just buy it.

if you need to start out with crafted, julianos with burning spellweave or mech acuity.