The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dying weapons?

Bruccius
Bruccius
✭✭✭✭✭
So, we've had the ability to dye our armor for quite a long time, various slots, our boots, chestplates, pauldrons, helmets, and shields, can all be dyed in any color we wish for it, to make our character stand out, or to make their armor look prettier to the player.

So if we can dye armor, why not weapons? I can see a way to dye each kind of weapon.
With one/two handed melee weapons, you could dye the hilt, shaft, and blade, with a bow you could dye the wood, handle, and quiver, and for staffs you could have the grip, metal in between grips, and the top of the staff be used.

As someone who really likes to have a character whose armor appears to just be steel in a fancy fashion, I'd really like to have a strong sword which isn't red because it's rubedite, and I know there are others who think the same way.

So I decided to start a poll to see what the community thinks of the idea. Please, share your thoughts.

Dying weapons? 7 votes

I support the idea of dying weapons
71%
shadowwraith666Chrysa1islogarifmikJobooAGSfrostz417 5 votes
I support the idea of dying weapons, but only if other parts can be dyed instead
14%
tsarkaschey 1 vote
I don't support the idea of dying weapons
14%
huschdeguddzje 1 vote
  • Diabolus1989
    Diabolus1989
    ✭✭✭
    You can dye weapons at outfit stations though.
    Options
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol, you CAN dye weapons.
    Options
  • Bruccius
    Bruccius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For real?

Gods, nevermind about this post then, I must've been pretty oblivious the last couple of months.
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruccius wrote: »

For real?
    Yes, for real!

The outfit system may not be as immersive as some of us would have hoped for, but it can do neat and wondrous things to your character looks, including making your weapon whatever color you want! Also, making axes look like swords or plate mail like beggars rags, but... eh.
    Options
  • lardvader
    lardvader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :)
    CP 1200+ PC EU EP
    Options
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you dye your weapon and wear a costume will the dyed weapon show?
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Options
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But while the topic is up, the weapons don't dye as well as one might have hoped. I suspect this is because the models were already in-game with the textures decided, and the dying process was layered on top. Hopefully the newer motifs have taken dying into account, and will behave better than the original ones.
    Options
  • Diabolus1989
    Diabolus1989
    ✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Yes, this is exactly what I do.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Yes, the Costume will cover over the Outfit portion of the outfit, but the weapon and shield part of the Outfit will show through.
    Options
  • Kawall
    Kawall
    ✭✭✭
    I hate when my weapons die.
    Options
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eh you can dye them already mate
    Options
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Die, dye, dying, dyeing... Don't blame the OP. :D

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
    Options
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support the idea of dying weapons
    This should be changed to "Dye weapons for FREE".

While the outfitting concept is great. I don't see why ZOS didnt just let us dye our weapons like we could with our shields. Why did it have to be inconvenient?
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See, now you've got me wondering how many people know about this option.

Before the outfit system was introduced a lot of people were absolutely against dying weapons because they claimed everyone would run around with bright pink swords which would ruin immersion. (Totally different to the light red ones we were stuck with.)

That doesn't seem to be the case - I see far more realistically dyed weapons - including less red ones - than silly bright ones and those I do see are on characters that would already have looked out of place because their armour/clothing/costume is equally silly. But maybe it's just because most people don't realise they have the option?

(Personally I suspect it's more likely most people who choose to play an Elder Scrolls game, even an MMO, want relatively realistic weapons. But it would be nice to have it confirmed.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    n8wg1m.jpg
    Options