The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Pricing of crown store motifs

FakeFox
FakeFox
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
With the long awaited Taesci motif finally available I checked out the motifs tab and was very surprised by the general pricing. In my opinion it makes no sense. So let me explain. The Taesci motif, which is a time limited exclusive, costs 2200 crowns, which I think is a fair price. However the Mercenary motif, which is one of the easiest and cheapest to get motifs in the game, costs 3000 crowns? This makes absolutely no sense. I think reworking the pricing structure for motifs might be a good idea. What do you think?
EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's fair that a crown store exclusive is cheaper than a motif that you can get in game. If you want to 'shortcut' your way to learning the motif you should pay more than for a motif that is for everybody only available in the crown store.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is exactly it. Motifs available in game come with a hefty price tag attached. Maybe that is to convince players to enjoy the content, repeatedly, again and again, battling rngeebus until you finally have it complete, and thereby having no time to moan about stuff on the forums. The high cost is compensation for ZOS staff because they now have to endure the buyer's forum participation.

On the contrary, the crown store exclusive things are cheap compared to other stuff, so people don't think too much before spending, thereby making those a high turnaround item that funds the machinery. Objectively, €17,- (or thereabout) is still a lot of spending money for a motif.

Alternatively, it could also very well be that I'm a stupid clint and drift of into conspiracy theories too often. Damn. I just asked for my post to be the-thing-that-you-aren't-allowed-to-speak-about-starting-with-an-"m"-and-ending-in-oderation.
    Edited by Leandor on June 28, 2018 5:58PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The ones that are available in-game are priced higher because it's a convenience to fork over cash rather than play the content or earn gold to buy from other players. I recall initial concerns that if the CS motifs were too cheap, then players would have a much harder time selling motif pages in-game.

I think that the current pricing is fair for CS motifs that can also be obtained in-game, though I'm not sure why some (Mercenary, for example) are not at the 5k price point.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on June 28, 2018 6:34PM
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Who cares? Let them lose out.

What you should be raising concerns about is the hike of 200 crowns. Special motifs used to be 2000.
    PC EU
  • alceleniel
    alceleniel
    ✭✭✭
    What you should be raising concerns about is the hike of 200 crowns. Special motifs used to be 2000.

Grim Harlequin was 2200 also

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/grim-harlequin/

• DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As long as the rework makes the others go down i'm all for it if they all go to 3000 no..
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alceleniel wrote: »

It was 2200 on the 2nd time around, both grin and frostcaster were 5000 on their first year.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »

It was 2200 on the 2nd time around, both grin and frostcaster were 5000 on their first year.

nope... Never 5k... always 2k and 2,2k
    Samuel Crow - Nachtklinge - PC-EU-DC
    Saint_Crow Twitch / Youtube
    ESO Stream Team Member
    Noractis
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Saint wrote: »

nope... Never 5k... always 2k and 2,2k

Well I clearly remember frostcaster being 5k crowns on the first new life festival, PS4. I didn't pick it up that year because it was so expensive.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I clearly remember frostcaster being 5k crowns on the first new life festival, PS4. I didn't pick it up that year because it was so expensive.

The only substantial change in seasonal price was the Zombie Horse (2500 crowns in 2015, 1200 crowns in 2016, 2500 crowns in 2017).

What you are probably remembering is the discussion about the difference in included mimic stones. Frostcaster was 2000 crowns and it would cost an additional 1800 crowns to get the the same amount of stones that were already included in the 2200 crown Harlequin bundle. Hence why it was 'so expensive' relative to Harlequin.
    signing off