The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Forced to Name Change my Argonian Eats-Small-Children in a game featuring cannibalism?

S1ipperyJim
S1ipperyJim
✭✭✭✭✭
Although my character has been around for a while now, I am being forced to change the name of my Argonian warden Eats-Small-Children because support says the name is not allowed to ensure "a respectful and secure atmosphere".

The name was a little joke about the lack of children in ESO, and it's ironic that a game which features quests that graphically depict cannibalism numerous times.

For instance 'Keepers of the Shell' a Shadowfen quest in which AD soldiers are eating Argonian hatchlings, 'A Bitter Pill', a quest in Deshaan, which has human flesh roasting on fires, the quest 'A Questionable Contract' in which a mage is under contract to clear out the woods and if he doesn't complete this he has to eat his wife Alanya. 'The Right of Theft' quest in which an entire village was eaten and in turn killed their murderers by poisoning their own bodies... I could actually go on and on with the gruesome and disturbing activities ZOS put in their quests...

Further to this the game gives players a human flesh eating intractable momento, which lets your player eat human flesh and then throw up, and has an entire race known to be cannibals, as detailed in in-game books such as "Pocket Guide to the Empire, First Edition: Aldmeri Dominion" which graphically describes entire Bosmer families feasting on an enemies flesh.

There are also many actual official characters in ESO named things like 'eats more hearts' 'bathes in blood' 'stabs through hearts'.

Not sure if this all adds up to a 'secure atmosphere' in ESO.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you are surprised? The big surprise to probably most of us is you came to the forums expressing surprise about this.
  • JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone was probably offended, it is 2018.
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone cried about it. All it takes is one person.
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    And you are surprised? The big surprise to probably most of us is you came to the forums expressing surprise about this.

Most of us? Yours is the first comment - who are you speaking for? Are you some kind of chairman of the board here?
  • DamenAJ
    DamenAJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you noticed there REALLY are no children in ESO?

There are issues with certain places where harm to children is a huge issue, and can get video games banned. So. I assume it's to do with that.
    Edited by DamenAJ on June 19, 2018 3:09AM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You offended some delicate flower, and they hold all the power, wielding their offence like a weapon, cutting people down left and right. They lack both reason and humor, just like most Customer Service agents.
    Edited by Reverb on June 19, 2018 3:12AM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably they should make char names like pet names, only visible to its owner. Everyone else sees your @name, which is public.

Problem solved!
    Edited by radiostar on June 19, 2018 3:24AM
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In the grim darkness of 2018 there is no humour, only offense.

I miss the days of being able to put profanity in character names, and being able laugh over the resulting terrible puns.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm on your side, that strikes me as an overreaction. It's not even graphic, and it's nothing that isn't in tons of children's books. Sheesh.
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonians don't eat eat children.

Wood Elves do.

So I say your name is not immersive and not lorefriendly.

:D
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In Hansel and Grettle the witch was going to eat them. That is a children's book and this is a rated M game. Why is it this platform that has the problem with it
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I'm on your side, that strikes me as an overreaction. It's not even graphic, and it's nothing that isn't in tons of children's books. Sheesh.

IKR, the gingerbread house and all that haha
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty offensive that your name clearly discriminated against large children as if they might be less tasty or wholesome.

Next time try thinking about how that might make someone feel.
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonians don't eat eat children.

Wood Elves do.

So I say your name is not immersive and not lorefriendly.

:D

It's a name not a job description :) my character would never actually eat children (if in fact they existed) he merely likes to pretend to be scary.

Also, since you are apparently an Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist, it's worth mentioning that AD soldiers also eat small children for instance when they gobbled up Argonian hatchlings in Shadowfen.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »
    In the grim darkness of 2018 there is no humour, only offense.

I miss the days of being able to put profanity in character names, and being able laugh over the resulting terrible puns.

Ironic how you call this "grim darkness without humor", when a name playing on devouring children is itself, grim humor.

I call it a sad time when there can't be any humor if it doesn't contain controversy, expletives, or sexual innuendo.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Most of us? Yours is the first comment - who are you speaking for? Are you some kind of chairman of the board here?

Nope, but most likely would not bother posting in a thread trying to defend that name. Granted, some go along with things like this which seems to be what we are seeing. Entertaining to see.
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funny that. Isn't ESO rated M ... does have severed heads, smoking, etc ...

I'm guessing you probably got reported by a snowflake. Gotta love 2018.

• mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My character had to be changed to. Balances-Like-Wrobel will be missed

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is hilarious simply because of all the insanely racist and sexist *** that gets spouted in this game every day along with people being harassed in and outside the game and ZOS does nothing about those.
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How stupid. Logic and consistency are not in ZOS' playbook.
    forever stuck in combat
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CiliPadi wrote: »
    Funny that. Isn't ESO rated M ... does have severed heads, smoking, etc ...

I'm guessing you probably got reported by a snowflake. Gotta love 2018.

I've been playing a lot of PVP lately with that character, it was almost certainly someone in the other faction in Cyrodiil that I killed too many times and they wanted their petty revenge.
  • Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm offended that someone found your characters name offensive.
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m offended that the dude above is offended or even slighted in some minor way due to someone finding your name offensive.
    When will it stop?
    Edited by paulychan on June 19, 2018 4:20AM
  • Magpie_26
    Magpie_26
    ✭✭
    Not a good idea to eat children anyway given their fat content.
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have looked twice, I like attempts at lore names much better than anything else. However, you only had to rename your character, so not a big deal. If I had used this name, I would have an idea someone would object and wouldn't bother about it. I did think of the eggs quest in Shadowfen straight away, thought you were some Sithis vigilante.
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yiasemi wrote: »
    I wouldn't have looked twice, I like attempts at lore names much better than anything else. However, you only had to rename your character, so not a big deal. If I had used this name, I would have an idea someone would object and wouldn't bother about it. I did think of the eggs quest in Shadowfen straight away, thought you were some Sithis vigilante.

Name changes also come with a 24 hour suspension from the game which also sucks since I play every day and kinda wanted the extra free crate plus all my crafting writs and dailies will get neglected :'(
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just sad! It's a good name.

RIP Eats-Small-Children
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another victim of the name change Gestapo. There seems to be no reasoning with them once they arbitrarily decide that your name is out of line.

This game features violent, sexual, and drug based themes. But apparently that's only for the game.

I wonder if a name like "Kills People" would be force name changed. In a game where there are rotting corpses hanging from trees on nooses. Cant have a violent name. Now excuse me while I sneak up behind someone and slit their throat.

We have books like the Lusty Argonian Maid, yet my lvl 3 nightblade named "Pelvic Sorcery" was named changed without me even taking them out of the load screen. How is that consistent. This is a question we have been asking ZOS for a long time but it just seems like its up to the temperment and complete arbitrary bias of whoever poor soul has to read all the "report user" complaints.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was probably a single person who was offended.
    *Sighs*
    Yeah, I think that the vast majority of people here wouldn't find that name offensive.
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey, at least it sounds like you're handling it well.

maybe the person who reported it is still a blubbering mess.

or maybe they just claimed they'd withhold some money. y'know, like the folks who don't want their craft bag anymore because Cyrodiil has lag. that usually works...
This discussion has been closed.