The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Lag Switches/Artificial latency

• GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no idea what a lag switch is or how it functions . Can someone explain please ?

How to do:
    Pull Ethernet Cord (only for couple seconds)
    Put back Ethernet Cord

What this does:
    If your playing a client based game you can complete actions in game while you ignore certain game mechanics until you reconnect. Then when you reconnect all the actions you completed while "artificially lagging" will happen all at once. Most games will dc you right away but there are some games that can handle 0-3 second hiccups in your internet.

The best way to abuse this is in games that have repeatable party quests that require items at the end. Most party quests remove any extra quest items from your inventory when you complete it. With lag switching you can drop the extra quest items, pull the plug, accept the quest, plug back in and pick up the item from the ground quickly. Once you plug back in, you'll move out of the lobby. However you will retain your previous runs extra quest items since you had a couple seconds to pick it up where you wouldn't have that time without the lag switch. Then all thats left to do is another run instantly for free fast exp.

From Eso's point of view i dont think its possible to use a lag switch. You would probably be disconnected from the server straight away. Also since Eso is all server based, anything you try to do while "artificially lagging" wont matter since your opponent could still kill you while you stand their. Its basically Macro Sliceing on Demand. Your opponent will see you stand still but once you reconnect you got like 4 uppercuts queued up.

Really high ping could be mistaken for lag switching as well. You could experience terrible 300+ ping and be killed by a ganker without even realizing. What sucks too is sometimes the ganker will have no lag at all and you just happen to lag real bad at the moment he ganks you. Ganking today really is only possible people you can take advantage of these high pings and kill people before they can react.

Edited by GreenSoup2HoT on June 18, 2018 4:48PM
    PS4 NA DC
  • Diddly_D_Potatoes
    Diddly_D_Potatoes
    ✭✭✭
    How much latency are we talking about?

Anytime I hear someone be like "My latency is at 300, the game is unplayable."
    I want to staple their eye lids open and photo copy their face. Said picture can then be distributed as example of a whiny ugg boot latte.

High latency builds character. As my latency in Australia is at a minimum 300, my character is impeccable. It is ok to send me all your gold for safe keeping. .

Edited by Diddly_D_Potatoes on June 18, 2018 6:00PM
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Diddly_D_Potatoes My ping is about 30 to a test server in Texas.... same state that some of zos' servers are. So, insanely smooth until you attack said people. This happens about 1 in every 50 fights I'm in but extremely annoying. Most of these people are general and above and can be extremely toxic in game chat. Disclaimer... I'm not saying they are cheating but something is off.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

Edit: but lag switches don’t work the way you think. They would only apply to your target (I.e. teleporting and rubberbanding). They wouldn’t make you lag.

Depending on the game, it would affect you as well as your target.

I was recently playing a physics based game where the devs were foolish enough to combine the Asian and NA servers. Asian players would often appear to be in one place on your screen, but were actually not there. You'd hit them directly, but they'd take no damage. With no target locking system, as far as the servers were concerned you were swinging at thin air. It was very frustrating.

I don't think lag switching would be very effective in ESO, due to the targetting system mechanics. Maybe there are people successfully lag switching, but I suspect the OP is just enjoying Cyrodiil's high performance. If it is always the same person or people, then I'd be suspicious.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only twice ever have I suspected cheating on console.

It's that rare
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

Edit: but lag switches don’t work the way you think. They would only apply to your target (I.e. teleporting and rubberbanding). They wouldn’t make you lag.

Depending on the game, it would affect you as well as your target.

I was recently playing a physics based game where the devs were foolish enough to combine the Asian and NA servers. Asian players would often appear to be in one place on your screen, but were actually not there. You'd hit them directly, but they'd take no damage. With no target locking system, as far as the servers were concerned you were swinging at thin air. It was very frustrating.

I don't think lag switching would be very effective in ESO, due to the targetting system mechanics. Maybe there are people successfully lag switching, but I suspect the OP is just enjoying Cyrodiil's high performance. If it is always the same person or people, then I'd be suspicious.

@NBrookus Typically it's the same people and they usually have very high alliance ranks/ or cheese in heal ball groups. I'm not saying anyone is cheating but it does make one suspicious as you said. I'm no noob either... been playing pvp since vr rankings.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only twice ever have I suspected cheating on console.

It's that rare

I suspect it's not that rare... not as rare as I want it to be. I just think it's well maintained within certain groups and only blatantly obvious when you single one of them out. Most of these issues can be disguised easily enough within zergs especially seeing cyrodiil's track record. Just a hypothesis.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

• Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    So...I had a rant about an issue I've had for as very long time (even before the summerset debacle). I'd attack someone not even in a zerg and freeze up and usually crash. I always attributed this to bad internet. I've since moved and have very good internet but the same issues exist (even pre summerset) Anyways back to the rant...I had multiple people tell me oh you ran in to a lag switch user. I know the premise behind lag switches but figured doing something like that on console would be very difficult. So long story short a part of me wants to not believe such things exist and if they do are very limited... the other part of me..I guess my pride wants to wave the finger at the dirty cheater.

Just wondering if anyone on here has had similar experiences or heard similar stories so I can put this question to rest.

Edit: added artificial latency to the title. This explains the scenario better. Thanks @Thogard for pointing this out.

I completely agree with you . Lag switchers and cheaters are rampant in this game. Steam detects lag switching too quickly. But ZOs deosnt recognize any thing nor ban any cheaters. ZOs not even competent to fix bugs. Cheaters cheating all day without any issues. .
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on March 1, 2019 5:35AM
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The times when you’re in combat are the times when the most data is being transferred and you have the highest incidence of packet loss.

Also Australians are a thing.

Nerf Australians?

Oh yeah. Lag switch is not hard to cheat. ESO doesn't detect it so far. Its very easy to do. Download program and macro it. You wont die. Just lag when your are about to die. Mostly 90 percent of the time you can escape your death. Switch back to normal during offensive rotation. Blame incompetent ZOs server for lag. Other games perma ban these shameless cheaters.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on March 1, 2019 5:41AM
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    @Diddly_D_Potatoes My ping is about 30 to a test server in Texas.... same state that some of zos' servers are. So, insanely smooth until you attack said people. This happens about 1 in every 50 fights I'm in but extremely annoying. Most of these people are general and above and can be extremely toxic in game chat. Disclaimer... I'm not saying they are cheating but something is off.

Dont argue with ZOs. I myself experienced many times what you are telling and experimented with it. Other games would perma ban immediately. ESO has become cheaters paradise. Many people here are paid trolls. Nothing you can expect . They only insults and make you anger so that they can take advantage of it.
  • wolveman
    wolveman
    ✭✭✭
    Am on now a who group zerg all lagged at the same time just now as we where fighting in the keep against the ad dc just us not them as soon as we left the keep for a minute the lag ended this is when they left we took over the keep. Then once they came back the lag started again as if someone either DC or ad using the switch. I seen this on PC quite often and this can happen to any platform and against the FCC here in America if caught heavy fines jail time that's no joke . Am not sure the restrictions are in other countries but it do know that if caught in the united states' theirs a penalty.. usually the game company picks it up depending if they catch the player or players usually a banned . This happened on all black ops games as well and on.other games.i.played on ...
    I personally did research on this some players who.where caught got stuck with heavy fines removed from the internet no joke again this is very real and it happens it affects everyone internet and can cause your console to crash.. some may think am full of crap but am.not.. as a PC builder and a person who runs programs and understand them and it's very easy to pick up.
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slow down there with the necromancy Mannimarco!
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have closed this topic as it was originally created in June 2018 and the information may no longer be relevant. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding!
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.