The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

TIMESTOP a little too good?

• Lord_Ninka
    Lord_Ninka
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't decided yet, but it does cover a very big area, does significant aoe damage from tanky builds in the form of healing negation, and is only slightly expensive. It definitely makes Volcanic Rune seem way less attractive.
    Edited by Lord_Ninka on June 14, 2018 11:20AM
  • RobbieRocket
    RobbieRocket
    ✭✭✭
    Sloads of problems with this game but sloads more positives, otherwise we wouldn't be here. Time stop complaining and time start solutions.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works good but can be a little problematic to place and activate in lag.
    Sometimes it activates way after it should, at least the visuals seem out of sync.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very easy to avoid (well telegraphed), you can break free if you do get caught in it, and it can't freeze you if you have cc immunity. It's kinda weak in my opinion, but that is probably good since it's used in pvp.
  • Fiktius
    Fiktius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use Time Stop mostly for dividing people from area which I don't want them to enter:
    At keep gate, second flag in the keep, around me if needing to keep melee characters away from me, behind me when I'm trying to escape and needing to create more space between me and the person which is chasing me. Mostly tactical use.
    It's also very nice when combined with meteor ultimate.

In my opinion Time Stop however is fine as it is:
    If it's summoned around enemies, they do usually manage to get out of it and avoid it. Some even just go through it whit using forward momentum or immovable pots and continue pushing forwards.
    I've seen only once a situation in Cyrodiil where at last flag someone threw Time Stop on enemy group and together with multiple ultimates my allies wiped out entire group. I believe that one of Time Stop's purposes is separating a group of players, which is nice counterplay skill against those group trains which just goes forwards otherwise.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Timestop to be only marginally effective in PvP. The only place its really useful is zerg busting or choke points...in other words...just about the same as the PvE morph of the destro ult...useful but not overpowered.

In PvE on my tank though I love the ability...it has replaced caltrops entirely as my AoE aggro...just requires good placement
    Edited by josiahva on June 14, 2018 2:00PM
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maryal wrote: »
    Very easy to avoid (well telegraphed), you can break free if you do get caught in it, and it can't freeze you if you have cc immunity. It's kinda weak in my opinion, but that is probably good since it's used in pvp.

This I agree with in a ZvZ push I saw 6 TS triggered on us n as a mDK I managed to roll my way out of them unscathed
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just wanted to clarify one thing.

Time Stop - or whatever the unmorphed original ability is called - is extremely telegraphed and easily avoidable.

The morph, Freeze Time, is an instant cast that has an animation of maybe 0.1 seconds and is highly unavoidable if shot by a quality player.

It still requires leading your opponent to a degree but 90% of players in Cyrodiil move in obvious patterns around choke points so it’s not tough to judge.

Edit: it’s also the fastest ability I’ve ever leveled. I had it morphed in simply by playing PvP in like 20 minutes.
    Edited by THEDKEXPERIENCE on June 14, 2018 2:45PM
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Time Stop - or whatever the unmorphed original ability is called - is extremely telegraphed and easily avoidable.

The morph, Freeze Time, is an instant cast that has an animation of maybe 0.1 seconds and is highly unavoidable if shot by a quality player.

It still requires leading your opponent to a degree but 90% of players in Cyrodiil move in obvious patterns around choke points so it’s not tough to judge.

Edit: it’s also the fastest ability I’ve ever leveled. I had it morphed in simply by playing PvP in like 20 minutes.

It's the snare. If you look up the tooltip for Time Freeze, it mentions it applies a snare which increases in severity til the enemy becomes stunned in place. This is the most devastating part of the ability. If you're snared to the point where your guy almost leaves the bubble--if any part if your body is inside of the bubble you get the stun. I noticed a lot of players yesterday absolutely have no respect for the snare portion of this ability.

Makes fear look like fuzzy kittens in comparison. Since you can place this in an any area and has a large 'no fly zone', you can manipulate enemy players into doing dumb things then getting themselves killed.

I, by myself, pushed out of BRK yesterday, mind gaming enemy players with this skill. I put it in front of my toon, walked into it, no one wanted to challenge me inside of my bubble. So I kept pushing out until EP stood their ground, by then I could put it ontop of them and go for my Will combos. Then my alliance showed up to wipe them.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on June 14, 2018 3:16PM
  • KittyHazWares
    KittyHazWares
    ✭✭✭
    You can see it being cast on the ground, you can avoid it.. also you can be interrupted out of the channel. Doesn’t seem too overpowered to me. I like it.

However if it was instant cast or invisible to enemies, yes then it would need a nerf.
    Xbox One NA
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally do not run immovable pots on most of my pvp characters, but I do find that Time Stop is fairly easy to avoid. And if you realize you cannot get out of the AOE in time, popping a shield is enough to get you through the stun. And 4 seconds is enough time to make that decision or get out of the AOE.

I have seen it used to great success against groups on the porches of keeps or outposts. Was running with a push to Sejanus and watched a a time stop got dropped on the front porch in front of the door on about 15 yellows, followed by around 3 meteors. Wiped the group immediately. But in that situation, a few stuns or talons and a destro ult or even 3 meteors would have done the same. And at least Time Stop is telegraphed. Talons/encase and petrify/rune cage are not. Even a Negate paired with encase could manage the same effect as Time Stop.

In short, fun skill, no change needed.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I find it useful to cast on myself, a delayed area denial/stun to give me time or space -Psijiicly speaking, lol.

Works sometimes on tree huggers, and also on chasers when hugging trees myself.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wherew0lf wrote: »
    You can see it being cast on the ground, you can avoid it.. also you can be interrupted out of the channel. Doesn’t seem too overpowered to me. I like it.

However if it was instant cast or invisible to enemies, yes then it would need a nerf.

It is instant cast on the other morph, but doesn't stun until 4 seconds later. There is a visual(ally and enemy) indicator for that. The problem I only have with this skill is it can be tricky to see inside of Keeps when multiple people stack.
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »
    Look, another attempt by pvpers to ruin an unique feature.

Pretty much...in talking with the devs at cons over the years you can tell they regret the hell out of trying to make PVP the end game in a Elder Scrolls title, more so when it is more or less dead and there are just a few die-hards that demand the game still be catered around their doom with swords sessions.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I personally do not run immovable pots on most of my pvp characters, but I do find that Time Stop is fairly easy to avoid. And if you realize you cannot get out of the AOE in time, popping a shield is enough to get you through the stun. And 4 seconds is enough time to make that decision or get out of the AOE.

I have seen it used to great success against groups on the porches of keeps or outposts. Was running with a push to Sejanus and watched a a time stop got dropped on the front porch in front of the door on about 15 yellows, followed by around 3 meteors. Wiped the group immediately. But in that situation, a few stuns or talons and a destro ult or even 3 meteors would have done the same. And at least Time Stop is telegraphed. Talons/encase and petrify/rune cage are not. Even a Negate paired with encase could manage the same effect as Time Stop.

In short, fun skill, no change needed.

I do agree with a lot of what was written here. It splits up groups and brings a nice strategic effect to Cyro we haven't seen before. Even if you're caught in the start of up Time Freeze, your dude still has a chance to escape it just requires the player is paying attention.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on June 14, 2018 3:30PM
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Freeze Time(the instant cast morph) is also absolutely worthless for PvP since it has a 4 second delay and does not negate healing like borrowed time does. But both morphs are worthless for fighting in open spaces...borrowed time is great for flags and choke points...the other morph no one in their right mind would use for PvP and is just as worthless in PvE
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »

Freeze Time(the instant cast morph) is also absolutely worthless for PvP since it has a 4 second delay and does not negate healing like borrowed time does. But both morphs are worthless for fighting in open spaces...borrowed time is great for flags and choke points...the other morph no one in their right mind would use for PvP and is just as worthless in PvE

What? There are 3 full pages of explaining why it’s useful. Sure, if I’m in a fight in the middle of a field 1 on 1 it’s not ideal, but that’s like 5% of ESO fights. In a keep defense, a keep attack or when dealing with 15 people all standing in place spamming destro ults it’s a great PvP ability.

Yeah, you’re just wrong. Period. 100% incorrect.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In open field combat, you're not gonna use Time Freeze in the same way you'd use it in a keep defense anyway. It's still creates a punishable AoE and gives magic users something to hide behind if caught in a fight with a stamina toon(that is not a magic shield). Magic toon can play keep away, and the stamina enemy needs to think twice on engaging when CC immunity is not there.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Knowledge wrote: »
    I think it should deal damage after it stops you in time. Oblivion damage.

And major defile xD
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In open field combat, you're not gonna use Time Freeze in the same way you'd use it in a keep defense anyway. It's still creates a punishable AoE and gives magic users something to hide behind if caught in a fight with a stamina toon(that is not a magic shield). Magic toon can play keep away, and the stamina enemy needs to think twice on engaging when CC immunity is not there.

Also 100% accurate.

Got in a 1 on 1 in a field last night. Pretty sure when I froze the stam guy and instantly melted him with a now completely undefendable soul assault my opponent didn’t think it was useless.

As always ... just because YOU might be prepared for something doesn’t mean EVERYONE is.*

* That’s the proverbial you, not to anyone in particular.
    Edited by THEDKEXPERIENCE on June 14, 2018 6:36PM
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dumb ability, there is too much cc in eso as it is
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dreyloch wrote: »
    I've used it a lot in PvP, but the cast time on it doesn't need to exsist imo. It's great for defending keeps. But unless your real good at knowing where your enemy is gonna be and "leading" with the spell in front of them, it's meh for any real offense.

Plus I've seen some ball groups just go right thru it. I think it's because rapids negates the effect. Which of course, they always have a rapids bot spamming. So.../shrug

ANYTHING that gives snare immunity allows you to run right through it. Immovables, elusive mist, forward momentum, whatever. It’s a trash skill and wasted space on your bar.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What? There are 3 full pages of explaining why it’s useful. Sure, if I’m in a fight in the middle of a field 1 on 1 it’s not ideal, but that’s like 5% of ESO fights. In a keep defense, a keep attack or when dealing with 15 people all standing in place spamming destro ults it’s a great PvP ability.

It’s TRASH. You cast Time Stop and we’ll walk through it and kill you. Lol.
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »
    Look, another attempt by pvpers to ruin an unique feature.

Oh no Pvpers concerned about an ability that no decent PVE player would use anyway, the horror. The horror.
    But really the stun doesn't last long enough for the ability to be game breaking. I'd much rather be timed stopped then feared or ruin caged during a fight.
    Edited by itscompton on June 14, 2018 8:53PM
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't I just say its good for zerg busting and choke points? The 4 second version is NOT though...gives you way too much time to get out of it...the ONLY good thing about it is that its instant cast. Yes I understand that the cast-time version has 2 seconds cast time and 2 seconds to take full effect...so its 4 seconds either morph...why would I choose the morph that doesnt negate healing exactly? I am not casting this ability in the middle of a fight generally, its more useful from a distance, since fights rarely stay still for 4 seconds anyway. If I do cast it in the middle of a fight, I will be on my tank where the 2 second cast time doesn't mean a thing to me anyway.

As for destro trains standing still...that doesnt happen either...they are called trains because they are moving...usually at a good pace...4 seconds? good luck catching any of them with that delay, they see the bubble pop, the first thing they are going to do is roll dodge...the 2 second version is barely enough to catch them most times. I suppose the 4 second version is useful against people that stand in the stupid though...so about as useful as Illambris is in PvP.
  • DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dredlord wrote: »
    DuskMarine wrote: »
    Gprime31 wrote: »
    This skill is good in pvp....very good....too good?!?

I mean, it kinda is what it is. It would be one thing if it’s length was balanced off of your max magicka for some diversity, but it’s a great back bar skill now because it doesn’t matter if you are a fully geared out 60k magic sorc or a stam toon just looking for a magic dump ... it’s utility is the exact same. As long as you have enough magic to cast it once ... which everyone does ... you can use it. Adding in that it’s the first skill in a line that a lot of people might not ever level past 2 and ZOS is essentially begging it to be used everywhere.

Without fully changing everything about it, I don’t see how it can be changed. If you increase the cost, who cares? It’s only able to be casted once at a time already. You can’t take the time freeze part away from it because the name is FREEZE TIME. Even lowering the slow down period of it would just lead to it getting spammed more. Increase that to say 6 seconds and then it becomes useless ... I think ... maybe it’s more useful? I really don’t know.

Long story short it’s absolutely a game changer and now that it’s out of the bag there is no going back. I’ve been freezing people with this and letting Illambris do my job of finishing them all week. I don’t plan on changing.

right after the patch fell i saw a whole line of timestops stop a whole zerg and it got ran over by the enemy zerg this ability is kinda op

Its strange you label it OP after your description of what you saw makes it sound very balanced.

if it stops 40-50 players to a dead screeching hault in momentum period yea it is kinda op cause thats not what i call balance thats what i call a krutch cause you cant beat me normally. if it slowed people i wouldnt call it op cause slows arent bad but totally freezing them in place and unable to break free from it. that sounds broken as heck to me.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I mean, it kinda is what it is. It would be one thing if it’s length was balanced off of your max magicka for some diversity, but it’s a great back bar skill now because it doesn’t matter if you are a fully geared out 60k magic sorc or a stam toon just looking for a magic dump ... it’s utility is the exact same. As long as you have enough magic to cast it once ... which everyone does ... you can use it. Adding in that it’s the first skill in a line that a lot of people might not ever level past 2 and ZOS is essentially begging it to be used everywhere.

Without fully changing everything about it, I don’t see how it can be changed. If you increase the cost, who cares? It’s only able to be casted once at a time already. You can’t take the time freeze part away from it because the name is FREEZE TIME. Even lowering the slow down period of it would just lead to it getting spammed more. Increase that to say 6 seconds and then it becomes useless ... I think ... maybe it’s more useful? I really don’t know.

Long story short it’s absolutely a game changer and now that it’s out of the bag there is no going back. I’ve been freezing people with this and letting Illambris do my job of finishing them all week. I don’t plan on changing.

right after the patch fell i saw a whole line of timestops stop a whole zerg and it got ran over by the enemy zerg this ability is kinda op

Its strange you label it OP after your description of what you saw makes it sound very balanced.

if it stops 40-50 players to a dead screeching hault in momentum period yea it is kinda op cause thats not what i call balance thats what i call a krutch cause you cant beat me normally. if it slowed people i wouldnt call it op cause slows arent bad but totally freezing them in place and unable to break free from it. that sounds broken as heck to me.

lol if it smells like a Zerg....

Stops 40-50 but can't beat you personally?

This is what you're rolling with?

Allllriighty then! xD
    Edited by Mureel on June 14, 2018 9:03PM
  • DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »

Allllriighty then! xD

zerg vs zerg should just rely on who has the better strategy(which nobody but ep ever actually has) but a single ability shouldnt be able to turn the tide of a fight at the drop of a hat. that is seriously off putting in the balance department.
  • Hurtfan
    Hurtfan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't negate work against it?
    For the Pact!
    Keyboard not found, press any key to continue
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »

Allllriighty then! xD

zerg vs zerg should just rely on who has the better strategy(which nobody but ep ever actually has) but a single ability shouldnt be able to turn the tide of a fight at the drop of a hat. that is seriously off putting in the balance department.

Get some experience with it, it doesn't do that all by itself.