The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The future of ESO on consoles

• Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zeratulsin wrote: »
    Sevn wrote: »
    zeratulsin wrote: »
    No you just got click baited by the general gaming "journalism" websites there have been zero credible sources about next gen dates.

This isn't true. Sony/playstation has already stated we are now in the final phase of the ps4. New gen should start no later than fall 2020 or spring 2021.

Feel free to post a source from sony themselves clearly saying 2020/2021 for anything relataded to next gen consoles
    until then stop spouting out guesstimate garbage.

You dont need a quote from them. You can look at the history of console releases and base the life-cycle of the PS4/Xbox One on that. PS2 released in 2000, PS3 in 2006, PS4 in 2013. That puts PS5 most likely release in the window of 2020-2021. Which lines up with Todd Howards comment about Starfield being a next-gen game as Bethesda has a habit of releasing large SP games every 5-6 years.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason the console manufactures went to a PC architecture is so code will be more forward and backwards comparable from now on. So yes any IP that wants to make money will move forward with the new consoles.
    Actually I am more worried about my PC moving forward as the the PC tech seems to have reached a plateau.
    This, PS5 will be backward compatible with PS4, newer games will also run on PS4 unless they require the performance in PS5 but is likely to lack features like 4K or VR support.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You... you could just get a PC and not worry about "console upgrades' when a PC last 5yrs with minimal upgrade cost after that.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casterial wrote: »
    You... you could just get a PC and not worry about "console upgrades' when a PC last 5yrs with minimal upgrade cost after that.

Lol, last upgrade to my PC cost me over $1000.
  • RazorCaltrops
    RazorCaltrops
    ✭✭✭
    DuskMarine wrote: »
    Keylun wrote: »
    I’ve read a couple of articles stating that the next gen consoles are going to surface in 2019/2020 and I’m wondering if Zenimax will keep ESO going onto the next gen consoles.

were still in the pro generation of the consoles theyve already said a ps5 and another xbox is a long long while off cause of hardware progression. so were gonna have xbox ones and ps4s for probly another decade or 2

Development on games for the new cobsoles has already started. The PS4 Pro and X1X run on the equivalent of a GTX 960 and 1060 respectively. Those are weak GPUs. Their CPUs are even weaker, still running the third generation i3-equivalent crap from when the original consoles released in 2013. A new console generation is needed badly as the current gen consoles are holding back graphics advancement. The PC hardware for far superior visuals is already available. There just aren't any games that can take advantage of it since everything needs to be able to run on consoles too.

This. As long as they don’t introduce more powerful CPUs for next-gen consoles, do not expect any performance improvements. Or simply move to PC. I know it’s hard in the beginning, but it’s worth it.
    PS4 EU
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is 2019 for the PS5 and the next XBox. I state this with about 80% confidence as Sony will probably try to stick to the 6-7 year window life of the console and the PS4 came out in 2013, making 2019 around October or November the perfect time to launch the next console. XBox will probably try to also hit that window so they don't lose out to the PS again, like they did with this generation.

The reality is, the tech has not advance all that much over the past few years. Yes, AMD has made some strides and now can provide stronger CPU and GPU for the next gen system, though the tech between what we have now and the next gen will be less of a leap than that of the PS3 to the PS4 and that was a much smaller leap when compared to the PS2 to the PS3.

The leap with the next gen consoles will be more memory and better CPU/GPU to handle multiple code execution that the current gen tends to have as its bottleneck. Something MS should have considered when they released the XBox One X, they had the option to upgrade the CPU to reduce the bottleneck that the current gen has but they choice the same CPU just with faster clock speed.

I'm hoping between now and when the next gen are launched that AMD has made further enhancements to their chipset making the change from the current gen to the next gen worth the investment. Even though graphically, we won't see that much improvement compared to the what we see today.

I think what keeps consoles back is the perception that its for kids. Like Super Nintendo was.
    In order to make it more like PC, the price would have to be raised. Sony and microscoft would have to believe they could sell the system at a higher price. Currently Im pretty sure most parents think 400$ for a game system is already expensive.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is 2019 for the PS5 and the next XBox. I state this with about 80% confidence as Sony will probably try to stick to the 6-7 year window life of the console and the PS4 came out in 2013, making 2019 around October or November the perfect time to launch the next console. XBox will probably try to also hit that window so they don't lose out to the PS again, like they did with this generation.

The reality is, the tech has not advance all that much over the past few years. Yes, AMD has made some strides and now can provide stronger CPU and GPU for the next gen system, though the tech between what we have now and the next gen will be less of a leap than that of the PS3 to the PS4 and that was a much smaller leap when compared to the PS2 to the PS3.

The leap with the next gen consoles will be more memory and better CPU/GPU to handle multiple code execution that the current gen tends to have as its bottleneck. Something MS should have considered when they released the XBox One X, they had the option to upgrade the CPU to reduce the bottleneck that the current gen has but they choice the same CPU just with faster clock speed.

I'm hoping between now and when the next gen are launched that AMD has made further enhancements to their chipset making the change from the current gen to the next gen worth the investment. Even though graphically, we won't see that much improvement compared to the what we see today.

I think what keeps consoles back is the perception that its for kids. Like Super Nintendo was.
    In order to make it more like PC, the price would have to be raised. Sony and microscoft would have to believe they could sell the system at a higher price. Currently Im pretty sure most parents think 400$ for a game system is already expensive.
    They have to be pretty cheap, that holds them back, PS3 suffered a lot because of high price at launch and none want to do this mistake. Yes you can have premium versions who has high performance but game still has to work well on the standard version to.

Same hold true for PC games to, you will not make an expensive game who require 1080 and i7.
    Edited by zaria on June 13, 2018 3:19PM
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS has said that next gen xbox will just be upgraded xboxes so anything that can be played on xbox one now will be available to play on next gen xbox. The times where you couldnt play games on past gens on new consoles isnt a thing anymore. Yay for technological advances!
  • Raraaku
    Raraaku
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think Q4 2020 or so would be a good guess on a release date. Subjectively, it feels to me that many of the more hyped upcoming titles that were teased/touched on didn't have a release date on them; which usually means it's 2+ years out. Take the TESVI and Starfield teaser trailers for example. Plus, the trend lately with Elder Scrolls has been that one was released soon after the next generation was launched, with Skyrim being the exception although they made a lot more money by releasing it so late into ps3/xbox360 development cycle.

I'm curious to see if Bethsoft follows the Morrowind/Oblivion path or cash in on another release late in order to be able to sell 2 copies for those who want to play it immediately and then again for when they upgrade and want to test out the new consoles enhancements.
    Edited by Raraaku on June 13, 2018 4:19PM
    Back from a much needed break. || I like having too many projects and working on them all at once.

Tank Enthusiast || CP: 445 || Stormproof

Tanks
    Karsaak gro-Ursa: DC || Orc || Stamina Dragonknight || Tank || Level: CP 445
    Sir Leopold Stotch: DC || Breton || Magicka Templar || Tank || Level: 445
    Protects-Squishy-Ones: EP || Argonian || Magicka Sorcerer || Tank/CC || Level: CP 445
    Björn Shadow-Walker: EP || Nord || Stamina Nightblade || Tank || Level: 15
    Tiberius Valerion: AD || Imperial || Stamina Warden || Tank || Level: 15

Damage Dealers
    Morrigan Ravyn-Cloak: AD || Altmer || Magicka Nightblade || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ra'Zahkara: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Dragonknight || DPS || Level: CP 445
    Ezra al-Khazir: DC || Redguard || Stamina Templar || DPS || Level: 40
    Erryndril Telvaux: EP || Dunmer || Magicka Dragonknight || DPS || Level: 25
    Uzara gra-Khalari: DC || Orc || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [2H/DW] || Level: 15
    Solomon Motierre: DC || Breton || Magicka Sorcerer || DPS || Level: 20
    Ragnar the Wulf: EP || Nord || Stamina Warden || DPS || Level: 30
    Ra'Rahku: AD || Khajiit || Stamina Nightblade || DPS [Bow/Bow] || Level: 15

Healers
    Sees-through-Hist: EP || Argonian || Magicka Warden || Healer/CC || CP 445
    Daedalus the Artificer: AD || Altmer || Magicka Templar || Healer || Level: 15
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ohtimbar wrote: »
    The reason the console manufactures went to a PC architecture is so code will be more forward and backwards comparable from now on. So yes any IP that wants to make money will move forward with the new consoles.
    Actually I am more worried about my PC moving forward as the the PC tech seems to have reached a plateau.

moore's law still applies.... it ain't over yet.

Moore's Law is dead or dying,

and your evidence for this is?
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next big Xbox update is 2020, which would fit with possible timeline for ES6 -

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/06/microsoft-andromeda-this-year-new-hololens-in-2019-and-the-next-xbox-in-2020/

However, as pointed out earlier, Backwards compatibility is a BIG thing for Microsoft, so ESO will still be completely playable on that as well. The current Xbox runs Windows 10 Xbox Edition, which is why play anywhere is a thing on MS devices.
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • Daimmyo
    Daimmyo
    ✭✭✭
    N/M
    Edited by Daimmyo on June 13, 2018 7:45PM
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the point is more than anything that we have a lot of things to worry about in regards to ESO's future, especially now that ESO has been out for some time. We obviously love playing the game, and want it to be something like WoW, that just lasts. The first threat is TESVI, where a lot of players will presumably leave ESO. This is though, less of a concern, because at least then we can stay with ESO, even if many don't. The next threat is nextgen for consoles. We know from experience that a new console generation typically means losing support for previous gens and previous gen games. Some things to look at though:

1. ESO has just gone to xbox games pass. I don't know about PS4, but with xbox, this seems like an intentional move to include ESO in their service, making it a continually supported thing. It might indicate (or be testing for) different things to do with MMO type games on console as the generations switch over.
    2. MMOs have been on consoles before, but never like this generation. We have many MMOs or MMO-like games - Warframe, Neverwinter, World of Tanks, etc. - so we're in a very different situation than with previous console generations. Just think about how bad the backlash was for xbox initially when they said "no backwards compatibility". My guess is that being able to play games from previous generations is going to be quite important this time around.
    3. We have already heard from xbox, that they're trying to make their consoles more PC-like, at least in that they want to have a single type of system and different options for power. They don't want to switch to a whole new console like consoles have historically done, from what I can tell, and instead want to offer a more powerful version of what they already have, possibly with a few new bells and whistles. They've also been integrating xbox gaming with windows 10 gaming, or at least pushing that, and we can even see from stuff like statements Phil Spencer has made that they'd love to do crossplay with PS4.
    4. PS4 has been sticking with the more traditional models and policies - only some stuff from the previous gen is backwards compatible, probably going to go to an all-new hardware and software package for their next console, doesn't like crossplay - but even with the PS4 architecture we can see it getting more PC-like rather than proprietary hard-to-develop-for traditional console architecture.
    5. ESO has, at least the once when console ESO was released, offered a transfer of characters from PC to console. It is possible that if ESO on console ends, they might offer a one time transfer to PC from console. It would be significantly more complicated than it was PC to console years ago, but I'd think it is at least possible.

These things give us reason to maybe not be as alarmed or afraid of the future, but as of right now we still don't know much. We don't know what the new consoles are, when they'll be released, or how they'll be released. We don't know what will happen to ESO then either. We don't even know the official release date for TESVI (presumably 2020, but nothing official), and that is probably coming before a new console generation. ESO in the very least still has a solid year or two of not having to worry about that stuff. The community has noted some "jumping the ship" behavior from Zenimax too, particularly with their monetization strategy, but that is very possibly due to other factors, and is very much so also an interpretation by the community, so may not actually indicate much.

tl;dr Yes, we can worry about ESO's future. However, we don't know much at all right now, so probably don't think about it too much for now. Besides, there are indications everything will work out. As of right now, ESO does NOT have a terminal diagnosis.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Rogue_Ghost
    Rogue_Ghost
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I hope that ESO and Playstation, or consoles in general, determine a path of both upgrading their systems for NextGen while maintaining the platform they have generated for MMO's which have a solid following. ESO was the first MMO I have ever justified paying a subscription for because the storytelling and game elements are one's that I have yet to get tired of. It's a great world they have created, enhanced by consistent add-ons, quality rewards for consistency, and I've never felt as if I need to "pay to play" - but I can and do because it's quality I wish to support.

What I find significantly interesting about this generation, is the attempt to provide MOD support on consoles. This is, quite literally, a game-changing direction for console players and - quite honestly - the only true argument PC players have had when it comes to trying to justify upgrading a computer every year to play a game. I'm sorry, but if I've paid $60 for the game, I shouldn't have to also invest $200 in a video card just so that I can play it. Because this is such a significant change in direction for console players - and one that experienced relative success - I would be VERY surprised if the NextGen consoles didn't come with hot-swappable HD's that can be switched on the fly and designated for larger games - such as ESO. With the price of HD's these days, a designated 1TB HD isn't too bad and is a "peripheral" I wouldn't mind investing in to enhance certain games and their lifespan.

Overall, with VR and MMO's/MODS becoming the next steps - not to mention all the apps, video services, and social sharing capabilities - both MS and Playstation will likely have to aim towards a more dynamic and easily adjusted system for "upgrading" their console with additional space.

Of course, this is good news for them because it's the peripherals which generate all the real money when it comes to consoles anyway.
    "Death smiles at us all. All one can do, is smile back."
  • angeleda
    angeleda
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_MikaS wrote: »
    We have recently removed some insulting comments. Please be sure to treat other community members with respect. Disagreeing is fine, but name calling and insults are inappropriate. Thank you for your understanding.

How about we get some actual responses in more urgent matters/threads than this pointless "forum moderating" in generic discussions?
  • Rogue_Ghost
    Rogue_Ghost
    ✭✭✭
    angeleda wrote: »
    How about we get some actual responses in more urgent matters/threads than this pointless "forum moderating" in generic discussions?

Have you ever heard the term, "it's not what you say, but how you say it?"

In my experience, a person's attitude when asking the question - or making the statement - speaks volumes on who they are and whether or not I intend on engaging them in conversation at all. Plus, urgency, is relative - especially when it comes to people discussing a game.

Just because you really want an answer doesn't automatically make it "urgent". It makes you impatient.
    "Death smiles at us all. All one can do, is smile back."
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean as soon as the One X launched ZoS announced they were working on a patch that would include better HD textures for One X users so I am sure they would develop a further HD texture patch for players on next gen consoles. With the focus MS has had on back comp for a while now and Sony taking an interest more recently I think they would figure out a way to make sure ESO plays on new consoles at launch.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surragard wrote: »
    I mean as soon as the One X launched ZoS announced they were working on a patch that would include better HD textures for One X users so I am sure they would develop a further HD texture patch for players on next gen consoles. With the focus MS has had on back comp for a while now and Sony taking an interest more recently I think they would figure out a way to make sure ESO plays on new consoles at launch.

The One X upgrades were only bringing the game into line with the existing PC version. On PC you have a range of options, and self select the ones appropriate for your rig. Xbox and PS4 have options set by default, because the rigs are all the same. There is some variation in games these days, where you can self select to determine if you prioritize graphics or framerate, for example, but at least for ESO, it was just moving the existing sliders up even though you cannot adjust them yourself. A big graphical upgrade patch isn't something that ESO has done yet (they have only done small tweaks to adjust for things like the outfit system so far).
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »

The One X upgrades were only bringing the game into line with the existing PC version. On PC you have a range of options, and self select the ones appropriate for your rig. Xbox and PS4 have options set by default, because the rigs are all the same. There is some variation in games these days, where you can self select to determine if you prioritize graphics or framerate, for example, but at least for ESO, it was just moving the existing sliders up even though you cannot adjust them yourself. A big graphical upgrade patch isn't something that ESO has done yet (they have only done small tweaks to adjust for things like the outfit system so far).

OP appears to just be concerned if the game will continue to receive support on new consoles. I am just pointing out that the last time there was a new console they had a patch ready to go to try to take advantage of it which is a good sign for them continuing to support new consoles. Game is only 4 years old and if consoles drop in 2 or even 3 years I think its likely they make sure the game is ready on launch day for the new console.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »

OP appears to just be concerned if the game will continue to receive support on new consoles. I am just pointing out that the last time there was a new console they had a patch ready to go to try to take advantage of it which is a good sign for them continuing to support new consoles. Game is only 4 years old and if consoles drop in 2 or even 3 years I think its likely they make sure the game is ready on launch day for the new console.

Yup, just clarifying. Xbox seems to be working quite well and closely with ZOS so this is a good sign.
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doubt next gen console will come out any time soon. I'm not expecting a new console till 2021ish. I'm more than happy with my PS4 Pro. Xbox One X was released last november bareley over half a year old. Blah blah blah on the 6-7 year cycle thing, no other generation had a mid-life upgrade before. I would think and hope the Pro and OneX add couple years to this gen cycle. Whats the hurry on next gen consoles anyway?

I doubt ESO would be on next gen consoles, unless the coding or whatever they have to do was simple. By the time next gen comes out and this gen becomes obselete it will be nearing the end of eso 10 year plan i doubt they would invest the money and time to port it over to next gen anyways.
  • DocDova
    DocDova
    ✭✭✭
    I will play ESO on ps5 as well, provided my ps4 game save carries over to ps5 and I don't need to start from a scratch. How much I will play would depend upon, How much they improve the game.