The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is CP 160? What makes that so special?

Davor
Davor
✭✭✭✭✭
I am only level 49. I keep reading don't worry about this or worry about that until you hit CP 160. After 4 years, I still don't see what is so big about this number. Yes I keep restarting and deleting characters and got no where. I see this was a mistake to do it in ESO and I don't know much about it. Well now I am not doing this no more but when reading posts, I just don't understand why these comments are made.

Can anyone please explain.

Davor
Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to be 160 CP to equip the highest level gear. That's also when you stop scaling, so you get max xp from everything and highest gear as drops.
    Edited by Hexi on June 11, 2018 1:11PM
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the old max level (VR15) before veteran ranks (VR) were got rid of and CP was introduced for the first time in March 2015
    Edited by rumple9 on June 11, 2018 1:13PM
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    Also once you hit cp160, any characters you reach 50 with thereafter make the leap straight to whatever champion level you are. SO all those characters you abandoned could easily reach max level once you get one character to that level.
    PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
    Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
    Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
    Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
    Azog the Defiler DD Warden
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CP160 is the amount of champion points at which gear stops leveling. So once you get 160CP, the gear you get will always be relevant and you'll stop outleveling it.

So if you craft or farm a nice set of gear at CP80, in a few days your gear will be outleveled (meaning the stats will all go down), so the materials/time you invested will be gone. If you wait till 160 to craft/farm gear, you can always keep wearing that gear.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cp 160 is the number of champ points equal to a Vet 16 character. So basically if you had a Vet 16 character when the champ point system was implemented you would have had 160 champ points. Since this change the max gear limit is and has been champion point 160.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Bodži
    Bodži
    ✭✭
    CP160 represents highest gear level - which means the strongest. Equipment/potions/food&drinks is leveled from lvl1 til CP160. You want to start getting the best equipment/gear (for your build) once you hit level CP160 because its weaker on lower levels and you cant upgrade it.
    When character reaches lvl 50 he/she starts gaining CP levels. CP levels are shared between characters, so once you level CP on one char, all other chars get that CP also.
    Edited by Bodži on June 11, 2018 1:19PM
    Why walk when you can ride?
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It means your gear is forever maxed at that point, as are your food, potions, and enchants.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • imnotanother
    imnotanother
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is confusing to new players.

When the game launched, there were “Veteran Ranks” after 50. There were champion points as well but they were more of a bonus than a ranking.

When Imperial City DLC was released, Veteran ranks increased to 16 from 14. Then when Orsiunium/Wrothgar DLC was released, Veteran ranks were removed and it became champion points.
    Edited by imnotanother on June 11, 2018 1:20PM
    PS4: NA - AD PSN: imnotanother (Artell Lyeselle)
    Stamina NightBlade 810+ CP - PvP/Trials/Dungeon Ready
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before end game leveling was CP based, levels past 50 were Vet Ranks. For the One Tamriel conversion, every vet rank was converted to 10 cp, for both players and gear. So VR1 became CP10, VR12 became CP120. The max level for players, enemies and gear was VR16, so the conversion made CP160 the max gear level, and what <cp160 players and enemies scale to.

It's an important milestone, because that's the point that you can start collecting and trading gear that you won't outlevel. Players below cp160 are undesirable in farming runs because no one can use their drops.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defilted wrote: »
    Cp 160 is the number of champ points equal to a Vet 16 character. So basically if you had a Vet 16 character when the champ point system was implemented you would have had 160 champ points. Since this change the max gear limit is and has been champion point 160.

By the time One Tamriel rolled around, this was a little different. True Vet 16 players had 600 CP. I was a vet 7 or 8 player myself and had around 300 CP if I recall correctly. Its just that they set the gear cap to 160 (or ten for every old vet rank), so I went straight over the gear cap of 160 even though I wasn't a CP 600 player at the time like the old Vet 16 players were.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much everyone. Greatly appreciated. I have another question though. Why not just keep leveling? I mean why stop at 50 and then have Champion Points. I mean why not get rid of CP and just have like level 200?

I don't know much about MMOs so what am I not seeing here? Just curious.

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    Thank you so much everyone. Greatly appreciated. I have another question though. Why not just keep leveling? I mean why stop at 50 and then have Champion Points. I mean why not get rid of CP and just have like level 200?

They would have to rebalance the entire game.

• casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Levels add attribute points and skill points, so adding a higher level cap means more of those. There's no reason to give players more skill points, as there are already plenty of those in game. And the devs designed the game for a specific range of attribute numbers, so adding more attribute points would have required a big rebalance of the game. But they wanted you to be able to keep leveling more or less indefinitely, so they gave you things to earn after level 50 other than attribute points and skill points.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They used to, as the Vet Ranks basically worked as extended levels.

Thing is, the original design of the game was for us to reach level 50 from one alliance and the Main Quest and then go into Cyrodiil. PVP as end-game. There was no Cadwell's Silver or Gold.

Once they added Cadwell's Silver and Gold to let us experience the other alliances, they added Veteran Ranks as we leveled past 50 to those zones. But because they didn't want to go to level 150, they did the much slower vet ranks. Orginially it was rank 1-7 for Silver, 8-14 for Gold, then they increased it to 16 with some of the DLC because content was still level-locked. Then One Tamriel happened and CP were account wide, the gear cap was set to CP 160 and everything was scaled to CP 160 through battleleveling and content is no longer level-locked.

So I don't know that this is an MMO thing, so much as its a product of ESO gradually changing how it handles leveling.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So You wont scratch Your eyes out while leveling new character. Champion points are account wide so when Your account have certain amount of CPs every character on that account that will reach lv 50 will autiomaticly get Your account CP level.

Champion points level scaling replaced previous veteran ranks where basicly after getting vl 50 You started to level up veteran ranks up to vet 10/12/14/16 (it was increased with time) and with changing Your character from levels to veteran ranks there was jump in game difficulty.

Basicly right now levels are character wide and champion points account wide thou You can spend Your currently earned CP's on character below level 50 , You wont be just able to wear gear for lv 50.
    Edited by Juhasow on June 11, 2018 1:54PM
  • DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭

good question, but for a real answer you would need to hear from the Devs at ZOS. A lot of us have been asking the very same thing for years now
  • RobbieRocket
    RobbieRocket
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think it is important to re-iterate VaranisArano and that is to say that ESO has been through an evolution. Ideas and systems have been reinforced, adjusted, changed, smashed and aborted to bring you ESO June 2018.

Edited by RobbieRocket on June 11, 2018 1:51PM
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you again everyone. Sadly I have been doing restartitis, and was about to do it again. I see now I have been playing wrong. At least now I know not to do it and just keep playing and moving on from now.

Greatly appreciate it everyone. I was about to start over and delete my level 49 character.

• Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yay people helped :)
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you again everyone. Sadly I have been doing restartitis, and was about to do it again. I see now I have been playing wrong. At least now I know not to do it and just keep playing and moving on from now.

Greatly appreciate it everyone. I was about to start over and delete my level 49 character.

Honestly, that is entirely up to you and how you enjoy playing the game.

However, one thing you need to be aware of is that once you have a level 50 character and start earning Champion points, even your characters below level 50 can apply those champion points. You don't need to wait until they are 50. They just can't wear gear that's above their level.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Keep in mind that since you have 8 character slots, you can start a new character without having to delete the one(s) you already have. So you should just transition your restartitis into altoholism. :tongue:
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 years and not yet even to 160? Your patience and casualness is admirable=)
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    Its the old max level (VR15) before veteran ranks (VR) were got rid of and CP was introduced for the first time in March 2015

VR16, not 15
  • Menelaos
    Menelaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    CP 160 is the ultimate frontier, the limit of "sky is the limit". Should ZOS ever raise the item cap to CP 180 they'll know the fanbase will nuke their Merryland HQ to Oblivion.
    ...und Gallileo dreht sich doch!
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Menelaos wrote: »
    CP 160 is the ultimate frontier, the limit of "sky is the limit". Should ZOS ever raise the item cap to CP 180 they'll know the fanbase will nuke their Merryland HQ to Oblivion.

Especially since it LITERALLY adds nothing, except force everyone to grind new gear cause of the way the game works. ESO has no Ilvl or stat budgets.

Edited by Hexi on June 11, 2018 3:22PM
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jameliel wrote: »
    4 years and not yet even to 160? Your patience and casualness is admirable=)

Sadly depression and real life events kept me from playing on and off. Also damn restartitis and not know how to play the game properly. Also not being able to retain information sadly and I keep forgetting takes me a long time to do anything.

Mainly it's the restartitis. Was about to do it again today, but now I see no matter what I do, I will end up in the same spot now. So instead of starting over I made a new character a Knightblade.

Now that I know CP transfer over, I will make my sorcerer to 50 so my knightblade can get some of the points as well now. So I have a reason to keep playing my sorcerer now. Good to know.

• Zuilin
    Zuilin
    Soul Shriven
    Where I'm confused is, how does CP 160 in the OP relate to this: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Champion ?

I see on that page, something that says the current CP cap is 810 and that means 270 points per constellation.

Are we talking about the same CP?

I know I'm confused but just how confused am I?!!

Thanks!
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zuilin wrote: »
    something that says the current CP cap is 810 and that means 270 points per constellation.

YEP!
    The Gear is all CP 160, but the original max CP you could earn/spend was around 500
    ...and they basically raised the cap by 30 more for each DLC since.
    & here we are at 810
    :o
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, once you gain CP on one lvl 50 character, that same number of CP can optionally be applied to any and all characters on your account - regardless of their level. So if you'd like a little more help for your lower level characters, it's good to have one that you're earning CP on.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pheefs wrote: »
    Zuilin wrote: »
    something that says the current CP cap is 810 and that means 270 points per constellation.

YEP!
    The Gear is all CP 160, but the original max CP you could earn/spend was around 500
    ...and they basically raised the cap by 30 more for each DLC since.
    & here we are at 810
    :o

A little bit of history here.

Back at launch the level cap was Vet 10. (This doesn't really have an analogy in the current game, but think level 59.) Craglorn increased the level cap to V12, and then V14 (when the second half was added) (Summer/Fall of 2014), and then when the Imperial City was added (Fall 2015), that raised the cap to V16.

Champion points came in between Craglorn and IC (I think Feb 2015, but I'm not 100% positive), back then your CP wasn't visible to other players, so you only saw their vet rank on that character. (Again, v16 was, effectively, level 65. There were some distinctions, but most of those were really academic.)

After the Imperial City dropped, the highest level items in the game were vet 16.

When the system was first added, there was no spending limit. CP went to 3600, and you could (in theory) grind there as fast as you wanted. By the time Wrothgar rolled out (Winter 2015), there were already three (I think) on PC with over 1k CP. I want to say Thieves Guild was when the spending cap was first introduced at 501, so if you had more than that you couldn't spend it. Though, honestly it could have been Dark Brotherhood. With Dark Brotherhood, your vet ranks were (functionally) removed. vet rank gear was converted to CP at a 10:1 rate. So, v16 gear became CR160. Also, when champion points were first added, you were instantly bumped up to your VRx10 CP. So, I've never had less than 140 CP in the game.

Each DLC or chapter has increased the spending cap by 30 (with the exception of Morrowind, which increased the cap by 39.) So the spending cap keeps going up. But there's two numbers to keep in mind:

CP160 is the gear cap. This was the old pre-CP level cap, and items do not drop (or scale) above this point.

CP300 is the point where you stop gaining attributes from spending CP. (Technically, this happens after you've put 100 points into each constellation set, so, spend 100 points in the Warrior, and you're not going to increase your health further from spending CP. (Thief is stam, Mage is mag, makes sense.) So, you could potentially have a CP1k who isn't getting their stat buffs from CP, but they'd just need to spend their points (or, if you're in battlegrounds or other CP suppressing situations.) Also worth noting, sub-50s do benefit from these bonuses.

The only thing you need to worry about with 160 is, don't farm for drop gear before you get there. If you get cool stuff, cool, but it's going to be trash in six minutes. Otherwise, feel free to play. The game is pretty open, just don't expect any of your gear to last until you hit that magic number.