Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What area effect spell/ability or weapon should I use for a Mage?

Davor
Davor
✭✭✭✭✭
I am almost level 50 and still don't know how to play. That is ok, because I am finally having a fun playing my way not the "proper" way. I feel I am still under developed and want to get a bit stronger. I see some YouTube videos where they are playing a Mage but using an era effect spell/ability or weapon that does lots of damage to multiple targets and I am not sure what it is.

I would like to try something like that since it will be a change of pace of me sending out a spell (sorry still can't remember the name) and blast them a few times, then hit a lighting spell rinse repeat go to my sword when magika is down. I was using a Restoration staff but just went to a destruction staff for something different and I dual wield in my other slot. Should I change them?

So any tips of what are effect spells/abilities or weapons I should be trying to use?
Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What class are you playing?
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am an Altmer Mage.

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try using the build advisor that tells you about abilities (left of skill trees). It has some suggestions on what skills to use.
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will try that. Thank you.

• Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at the Build Advisor an dit doesn't say anything about AoE spells or weapons to use. So I am back in the same boat. Anyone know of what I should be looking at?

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Build advisor is not perfect. Hopefully it is a work in progress, but it will never be perfect.

Assuming you mean sorc when you say mage, Dstaff has the Wall of Elements.

I prefer the Elemental Blockade morph which covers a wide area and last longer because I also use it for single target as well, The other morph is just fine.

From the Sorc skill line I like Liquid Lightning morph of the Lightning Splash skill under the Storm calling tree. It last longer as well and I use it single target as well as on trash mobs. The other morph is fine.

If using the lightning staff and have the passives a heavy attack does AoE damage at the end as well. Great for putting down dots, shield up and heavy attack.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @idk

Heck, my sorc doesn't even have a specific single target ability. She uses Lightning Flood (I want the +radius more than the + duration from LL), Blockade (destro staff) and heavy attacks (AoE and restores magicka). I think most mag sorcs use those skills (or their other morphs). From there, you'll find a lot more variety in prefs.

I like Surge, Boundless Storm, Empowered ward for durability. I like Inner Light for its + magicka. I like the Twilight Matriarch to power up the mag boost from Necropotence set, power up the health boost from sorc passives and have a superb burst heal that I can share with others. Finally, I double slot the Mages Guild ultimate - it's a fine ultimate but I slot it primarily for its slotting passives. Many sorcs prefer the destro staff ultimate since it does a bit more damage.

For gear, I like dual lightning staves and the Necropotence + Julianos sets - effective and simple to get. Necropotence of course is only worthwhile if you have a summon.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought about using wall. Why or I should say how should I be using that? Thanks for helping me out. It's good to do something different. I tried a different character but still love being a Sorcerer. I always call them mages so I got the name mixed up.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    I never thought about using wall. Why or I should say how should I be using that? Thanks for helping me out. It's good to do something different. I tried a different character but still love being a Sorcerer. I always call them mages so I got the name mixed up.

If I am out in the world and killing trash mobs I just place that in their area then heavy attack with a lightning staff and walk around them so they stay in the wall of elements. The morph I use is larger than the other morph. Of course while circling them so they stay in your AoE make sure to avoid getting the attention of other groups of mobs.

If you feel comfortable you can work in Force Pulse, Crushing shock instead of the heavy attack but that is your call and comfort level.

Also, you can shield with either the Sorc or light armor shield if damage is an issue. You can also use power surge to get healing and Major Sorcery if you desire.