The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Issues with lightning staff heavy attacks [PS4, Summerset]

Aurielle
Aurielle
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Yay, Summerset!

Not so yay: lightning heavy attacks not firing, or failing to register all-together when weapon-swapping at the end of the animation.

While I'm enjoying the slight DPS increase (hit 39k today!) and the ability to use full monster sets on my sorc, I'm finding this heavy attack issue hugely frustrating. Pre-patch, throwing a heavy attack in at the end of a rotation was no big deal; now, unless I have my camera tilted in a VERY precise way, the heavy lightning attack does NOT register.

Also, is it just me, or has the time to activate the HA resource return increased? My muscle memory kicks in to weapon swap and cancel the recovery animation at a particular time (right when the heavy attack fires), but my magicka return doesn't budge unless I wait two fractions of a second longer than I used to. It's really frustrating, and has resulted in my once-smooth rotation failing more often than not.

I NEVER ran out of magicka pre-patch; now I run out of magicka regularly towards the end of the rotation, as heavy attacks are either just not registering or failing to return resources when they should be. Anyone else encountering this issue on other platforms?
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am on Xbox and have actually been noticing this over the past week and a half. The second half of my rotation, I weave in heavy attacks and it seems like recently, I have to have my camera dead set on a specific enemy in order for the HA to fire properly, otherwise, I'm holding the button, my toon is in the casting position before the HA fires, but nothing happens. I then have to actually tilt my camera angle differently in order for it to register. Didn't seem to have this problem two weeks ago.

I've been doing everything normal as always with my lightning staves. Nothing has changed for me.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
    Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
    Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
    Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
    Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
    Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
    Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
    Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
    Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
    Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
    Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
    Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am on Xbox and have actually been noticing this over the past week and a half. The second half of my rotation, I weave in heavy attacks and it seems like recently, I have to have my camera dead set on a specific enemy in order for the HA to fire properly, otherwise, I'm holding the button, my toon is in the casting position before the HA fires, but nothing happens. I then have to actually tilt my camera angle differently in order for it to register. Didn't seem to have this problem two weeks ago.

I've been doing everything normal as always with my lightning staves. Nothing has changed for me.

Very odd. :/

I haven't changed anything either, but what you're describing is identical to the problem I'm having. It NEVER used to be an issue before Summerset. My character just chills there doing nothing; if I try to fire the light attack again without moving the camera, nothing happens. The only way to get the heavy attack to register is to tilt my camera at a very specific angle and try again.

Going to see if I can capture it on video.
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been having the same problems on Xbox. It's pretty ridiculous how often it's been happening today.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • the_other_Alice
    the_other_Alice
    ✭✭✭
    Found it in bug reports - seems to be an ongoing issue sadly
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/399135/heavy-attacks-not-firing-patch-3-3-8-tested-with-dw-stamina-and-lightning-magicka-on-pc-eu
    no answer - no fix
    maybe if it gets more attention in general
    so once more ZOS please address this problem finally and fix it - pretty please with sprinkles on top
    (oh and it´s PC EU too and not just me)
    Edited by the_other_Alice on June 6, 2018 1:59PM
    ""I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it. CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE. "
    (Terry Pratchett)
    “If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
    ( Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass)

"I don't think..."
    "Then you shouldn't talk", said the Hatter.”

(Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland)
    - Gildenleitung Not like the Otters -
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found it in bug reports - seems to be an ongoing issue sadly
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/399135/heavy-attacks-not-firing-patch-3-3-8-tested-with-dw-stamina-and-lightning-magicka-on-pc-eu
    no answer - no fix
    maybe if it gets more attention in general
    so once more ZOS please address this problem finally and fix it - pretty please with sprinkles on top
    (oh and it´s PC EU too and not just me)

Most likely people on PS4 to. I'm willing to try. Just need rebuild my set anyway
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • Willard
    Willard
    ✭✭✭
    I am on PS4 and have been seeing this for at least 2-3 weeks
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This just started with me when summerset started on xb NA
  • OB_Jake
    OB_Jake
    Ditto. PS4 here, same same.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As if lightning staff heavy attacks weren't buggy enough before the patch (getting stuck etc.) they are even worse now. I'll be using double inferno and not doing much on my sorcerer because it's pretty bad right now. This is on Xbox NA.
  • Inklings
    Inklings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And there is also still this bug/change, that a lot of you are experience when bar swaping at end of rotations.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/412613/double-lightning-staff-heavy-attacks-while-bar-swapping-are-still-broken-or-got-a-behavior-change
    Edited by Inklings on June 6, 2018 3:49PM
  • Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting the exact same issue but on the PC version...
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numerikuu wrote: »
    I'm getting the exact same issue but on the PC version...

Same here, PC NA. @ZOS_GinaBruno the bugs are piling up in the charged staff (Resto/Lightning) heavy attack process.
    PC-NA
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had this happen on my very first heavy destro attack after logging into Summerset. I did not have it happen again. I heavy attack a ton and am on XBox. I chalked it up to an anomaly.
  • JohnDoggett
    JohnDoggett
    ✭✭
    After the tiring 33GB update, and nearly asleep I got the game loaded. PS4 EU.

Oh dear its happened again, every time after a massive new DLC the base game gets screwed up and stuttering.
    I am a magsorc using lightning staff.

I knew there was going to be major issues as soon as I came out the bank in Davon's Watch. Stuttering all the way to the crafting writs to get my tempers then off to Cyrodiil.
    All went stuttering and slow until 'total lock up' frozen screen with looping whooshing sound'. Gave it at least 30 secs in case it caught up but noooo!
    Occasionally we all get a big freeze and then visual animations start pinging and it all catches up again but this was different.
    This time just a frozen screen in battle at an outpost with no warning. Just bang! No option for me except to hold PS button and close. No option for error report - nothing.

Re-load game, it happened to me 5 times last night in the current campaign 25 days to go.
    When I played the game the day before the Summerset update not one problem at all other than the usual lag.

I thought the freeze problem as 'Aurielle' described was caused by my Lightning staff heavy attack when switching bars but then it just froze again when I was actually just standing in the outpost doing nothing but there was still large battle going on, very bad frame rate. Like a about 5 FPS.
    Sort this out ASAP, I can't play like this. I feel I work harder in this game than my job!

Also ZOS please fix this:
    As well as the obvious Summerset patch problem written above, please also fix this:-
    When a player experiences a general crash or disconnection, please make sure his / her character is instantly removed from the server when in battle. This does not happen because when you log back in you are spawned in dead on the floor where you left off. Someone killed you even though you were not actually playing the game. What an easy kill for them to just see a player standing, puts up no fight whatsoever and enemy gets full AP for it.
  • Mush55
    Mush55
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ye had the pleasure of experiencing this for myself today, looked a bit of a numpty in the dungeon run tbh...
  • ramasurinenpreub18_ESO
    Yup, the heavy attack not firing after bar swap is back, and annoying as ever. You just remain stuck in the casting position even when aiming straight at a mob. Doing a light attack, bar swap again, or casting an ability sometimes clears it but not always. Sometimes have to bar swap twice. Hope this can get hotfixed.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, the heavy attack not firing after bar swap is back, and annoying as ever. You just remain stuck in the casting position even when aiming straight at a mob. Doing a light attack, bar swap again, or casting an ability sometimes clears it but not always. Sometimes have to bar swap twice. Hope this can get hotfixed.

I have several issues with heavy attack on ligthning staff as well, most of them have described above.

But don't get your hopes up, took them how many years just to give a look to the whole "lightning staff heavy attack" fiasco.
  • the_other_Alice
    the_other_Alice
    ✭✭✭
    okay I haven´t been playing this game thaaat long, so is it helpful to report such faulty mechanics via bug report ingame? meaning if they start piling up it´s less likely to be ignored? just another hopeful thought...
    ""I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it. CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE. "
    (Terry Pratchett)
    “If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
    ( Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass)

"I don't think..."
    "Then you shouldn't talk", said the Hatter.”

(Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland)
    - Gildenleitung Not like the Otters -
  • omegatay_ESO
    omegatay_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have had issues with the lightning staff not going off at all without bar swapping. It for sure started with Summerset. PC here.
  • Beodamacsa
    Beodamacsa
    ✭✭✭
    this happens on PC as well , its very frustrating.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ditto PC here.. they messed something up badly.
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually it happened for me before Summerset. Though I always attributed it to crappy ADSL... which I'm very glad to say I don't have any more.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happening to me on Xbox NA also. Burning through overland mobs I don’t even bar swap, and noticed lightning HA’s not firing after I drop elemental blockade and/or liquid lightning. Only happened since Summetset patch.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• JohnDoggett
    JohnDoggett
    ✭✭
    Hey all.
    Last night I changed to my Inferno staff instead.
    Still same problem.
    In fact the whole game really feels dire. Its so jittery.
    The game randomly has huge spikes of seizures, sometimes recovers, other times total lock up.
    If i wasn't trying for AP, ranks and skill points i wouldn't continue. However this stuff takes ages to obtain so need to keep going.
    It's so depressing when I get the total lock ups always in battle.
    No option but to quit game and reload.
    Also, if they tweak the scenery distance anymore we won't have anything to look at.
    I get trees almost no detail at all inside the keeps!
    Seems like laziness on ZOS part, their coders have no idea how to improve it so take the shortcut and cut the draw distance. Then add more animations that screw it all up.

When in battle now I just get vaporised by poison bow players. Poison and Lethal arrow seems way over the top at the moment. What on earth are they running?
    I am starting to believe that something is unbalanced in the code regarding blues yellows and reds. I'm with reds on PS4 EU and its like my stats on screen are not actually what numbers my character is really outputting.
    I think my stats are pretty good.
    I'm at CP800+ Spell damage 3900 crit 49% both bars. Spell Penetration around 9000. Resistance is Spell 21000 Phys 22500 Crit 2215. Mag 33,000 Health 22,000 Stam 15,000
    I can get one shotted by a blue or yellow with two shields stacked!
    My connection is 9ms ping, 25MB down 9MB up.
    I wish someone at ZOS would do me a favour and check my account and characters because I really believe its corrupted!

If I have written some of this in the wrong place, anyone feel free to copy and paste anywhere else .
    Problem is so many things are irritating me lately. I've put over three years into this game and feel like no one at ZOS cares.

By the way I watched some of the ZOS discussion videos on YouTube with Gina and Fengrush etc. Seemed really amateur to me when Gina was asking the dev team about serious stuff regarding improvements and fixes and the tech guys just seem to joke at everything like it doesn't matter. Just get the next DLC finished so I can get my Ferrari!
    This is not a P*** take, I'm angry and bitter that I believe other players are have a whale of a time because it's all going great for them, and I'm stuck with a possible crap account that stands no hope of getting looked at.
    I await the answer from ZOS "I assure you that cannot happen".

Cheers
  • FastBen
    FastBen
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem with my lightning staff too. Xbox EU. It started after Summerset update for me. So it is a known issue? I thought it’s only me having troubles with it. My staff charges for a heavy attack, but nothing happens, as if there is no target to aim at. After 1 or 2 light attacks the heavy attack triggers. It is very annoying and can ruin your rotation.
  • Tagonius
    Tagonius
    Soul Shriven
    Still happens on PC with gamepad
    Edited by Tagonius on June 17, 2018 4:26PM
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After the tiring 33GB update, and nearly asleep I got the game loaded. PS4 EU.

Oh dear its happened again, every time after a massive new DLC the base game gets screwed up and stuttering.
    I am a magsorc using lightning staff.

I knew there was going to be major issues as soon as I came out the bank in Davon's Watch. Stuttering all the way to the crafting writs to get my tempers then off to Cyrodiil.
    All went stuttering and slow until 'total lock up' frozen screen with looping whooshing sound'. Gave it at least 30 secs in case it caught up but noooo!
    Occasionally we all get a big freeze and then visual animations start pinging and it all catches up again but this was different.
    This time just a frozen screen in battle at an outpost with no warning. Just bang! No option for me except to hold PS button and close. No option for error report - nothing.

Re-load game, it happened to me 5 times last night in the current campaign 25 days to go.
    When I played the game the day before the Summerset update not one problem at all other than the usual lag.

I thought the freeze problem as 'Aurielle' described was caused by my Lightning staff heavy attack when switching bars but then it just froze again when I was actually just standing in the outpost doing nothing but there was still large battle going on, very bad frame rate. Like a about 5 FPS.
    Sort this out ASAP, I can't play like this. I feel I work harder in this game than my job!

Also ZOS please fix this:
    As well as the obvious Summerset patch problem written above, please also fix this:-
    When a player experiences a general crash or disconnection, please make sure his / her character is instantly removed from the server when in battle. This does not happen because when you log back in you are spawned in dead on the floor where you left off. Someone killed you even though you were not actually playing the game. What an easy kill for them to just see a player standing, puts up no fight whatsoever and enemy gets full AP for it.

They won't make it so that you log out instantly when in battle. This would allow players to drop connection at will to prevent their death. Think about a telvar farmer running with 200k stones at all times because he knows unless he gets ganked and killed in two seconds flat, all he has to do is unplug his modem and his stones are safe. In regular Cyrodiil PvP it's not a big deal if you die either from being disconnected during the fight. Other than getting back to where you were.

Yes though, my heavy attack lightning doesn't always go off. Ps4 NA. It also seems like some of the time my character doesn't do the animation, but the heavy attack charge is still doing damage. Other times though it does no damage.

• geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pretty sure the vast majority of us are having the same experience across different platforms/servers...

man, the lightening stage is probably my favorite weapon, I use it with 3, sometimes 4, out of 10 characters...

one of the things I like about it the most is that much like the restoration staff, and, had a bit of an "auto-aim" feature going on...

lately the heavy attacks have been working more like the inferno/ice staffs...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 here. Sometimes in BGs my lightning staff just won't do heavies and I'm stuck with almost 1 weapon and no choice for DKs... :(

PC EU here.

Please @ZOS_GinaBruno can this be looked at?
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I get totally weird issues now like my staff totally misses what i'm aiming at.. I also seem to hit every rat, frog, snake and spider on purpose like they are the priority now even if i'm targeting an enemy...

I actually had an occasion where my fire staff literally fired over my shoulder behind me to hit a snake and all the enemies were in front of me..

Something targeting wise is very broken..