The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Just a thought on guilds

grim_jester
grim_jester
✭✭
To all guilds and guild masters.
It would get a good idea if when you are end your guild or even just booting someone out perhaps you might
want to send a little warning or note to your people. especially the person you were kicking out they should know
why they were kicked out of the group. Twice now I’ve logged on to find it my group is either gone or I was kicked
out and never know why kind of turns a person off of wanting to join guilty anymore.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that would be the respectful and reasonable action to take. I'll say that I, for one, have never booted anyone from my guild when I hadn't already personally talked to them about an issue, and I've never booted someone from my guild without an explanation to them, and an explanation to anyone else in the guild who wanted one.

There are surprisingly many - even in my own guild - who disagree with that kind of transparency though. It's actually kind of sad, not to mention a bit disturbing, how people want to sweep stuff under the rug, or even sometimes outright lie.

Honesty is a virtue kids.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only ever seen people kicked for inactivity, which is something my guild will only do when we reach 500 players, so that's going to take a while.

Though on the other hand, people also leave guilds without telling guild leadership why they are leaving about 95% of the time.
    The Moot Councillor
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vast majority of people I see kicked from my guilds are for inactivity or consistently not meeting clearly stated weekly sales/raffle requirements.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I can't recall seeing many folk booted other than for the reasons VaranisArano gave. Obviously I've seen people booted for other reasons, but the reason is usually obvious to both the GM and the person being booted.

Saying that, I was once in a guild that the GM expected you to be active EVERY day. Lmao. That was crazy af and he did punt people who were offline for over 24 hours.
    Edited by Prof_Bawbag on May 31, 2018 4:44PM
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guild has clearly stated requirements to maintain membership, with a public set of spreadsheets that anyone can look at to see whether or not they are meeting those requirements. On it we track every member's sales, purchases, raffle participation, auction purchases, item donations and gold donations.

Additionally, we have clear inactivity policies based on ranks, which are also publicly available to read.

Every member receives a mail upon joining that tells them the basics of our policies, and where to go to read more. They are further instructed at that time that it is THEIR responsibility to know and understand those policies and monitor their own standing, and that members not meeting requirements can be removed at any time to make way for new members.

As it is, roster maintenance takes up about 3 to 4 hours of my week, which may not sound like much, but as it is I don't often do things that aren't related to the management of my guild. I have, in the past, sent individual mails, which can add an hour or more to that time. In the end, I've decided that having all information available for everyone and being clear that I expect my members to know and understand the policies and to monitor their own progress absolves me from the need to send personalized messages to every that gets kicked.
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been booted once, from a guild that did NOT have clearly stated requirements. I reached out to the GM, and they basically said I wasn't really pulling my weight in guild.

That's entirely fair, but I agree that I would have liked a heads up or a week to invest more time in hitting that guild's requirements rather than just a cold boot--but I respect the hell out of that guild and what the leadership does, so I can't really complain.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been booted once, from a guild that did NOT have clearly stated requirements. I reached out to the GM, and they basically said I wasn't really pulling my weight in guild.

That's entirely fair, but I agree that I would have liked a heads up or a week to invest more time in hitting that guild's requirements rather than just a cold boot--but I respect the hell out of that guild and what the leadership does, so I can't really complain.

Despite being as clear and transparent as I possibly can, I do get quite a few members that haven't taken the time to understand the requirements and don't understand why they've been removed. I'm always happy to spend some time discussing the requirements and policies with folks, and will always reinvite people to give them another chance. The only time I'm not willing to reinvite a person is if they've broken the guild's cardinal rule: "Don't be a ***".

I do suppose that this can all be dependant on the guild in question, though, too. I totally understand wanting a head's up, especially if the information isn't available for you see that you're falling short. On the other side, and from my perspective, my guild typically has a waiting list of up to 30 people, and it can take 14-21 days for a person to even get an invite.

I guess my advice is if you've been kicked from a guild to reach out to the GM's or officers and inquire. Like I said, for me, personally, even though my expectation is that people know the policies and monitor their own progress, I'm still willing to take the time to help someone through it, as long as they aren't a jerk about it. I can't imagine other GM's not willing to take the same steps.
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • grim_jester
    grim_jester
    ✭✭
    I was kicked for a social guild. With no requirements. The guild was doing a invite thing going on and I was told by the guild master I was in the lead for the reward, the just days before the contest was to end I got kick. And when I asked why I got kicked it was because I invite a person that was in the first guild I got kicked out. Turns out the Guild master and him was in the guild I was in before so he kicked me out. Now let’s be honest unless the person is a officer in the guild how are they supposed to know ever member.
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was meaming to post this as it's own thread, but this thread came before I could post mine, so uhm... Here it goes I guess.

I am someone who is a bit of a social butterfly (Or at least tries to be around in a community), but at the same time I can't seem to jell well with said communities. My girlfriend keeps telling me I should just not bother with guilds, but... Erh, I wish to make connections so that I won't have to pug all the time.

Recently had two fallings out with two guilds, one of which was on the guild leader being very disrespectful and condescending, the other was... Well, a bit of drama because some guy was being spiteful towards me, and the guild leader giving me the "You are an idiot" kind of treatement.

However, I will not say that I had no part in the falling out, I definitely could watch out for my temper levels, but at the same time it feels like people are out to get me, despite how ridiculous that sentiment sounds.

To trim this a but down: I like the idea od being in a guild, but I can't seem to really mix well and it ends up all crashing down. A social guild giving me the boot because I call the guild leader out for being disrespectful, and me leaving a Roleplaying guild because a member was giving me the business, me getting a bit pissed, and then the guild leader tutting me out.

And with that said, I wish to ask this: What is there that I can do, if I wish to be in a guild, but can't seem to really mix well with a guild, and what to do if my hot-headedness gets the better of me?
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally its one of a few reasons (a guild master myself)

1: inactive, every guild is different on that length of time.
    2: behavior, trolling abusive belittling, etc normally gets you a warning and then boot (or depending the severity an instant boot)
    3: fees (not my guild but traders)
    4: elitist (again not my guild but they are out there) for not hitting certain requirements. Then either just booted or some cases excessively trolled until one leaves or quits

But to be honest, every guild is different and also depends on your level of engagement with them as well. Good luck on the search for the right guild for you
  • revenileb14_ESO
    I've been booted by one guild, but I understand why, I was inactive on the game for over a year, so I'm fully understanding why I was removed from the roster even if I wasn't told. However I agree a notice before removal, or even a prompt ON removal with a quick message as to why would be nice.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the guild is growing and has said requierments => Ofc you'll get kicked if you don't meet them.
    If it's a social/trading guild => You'll get kicked if you don't trade/play social :^
    If it's a faction-related PvP-guild and you play another faction => If they're for loyalty you'll get kicked.
    If you stay offline for days without notice => You'll get kicked.
    If you join a dungeon/trial guild and don't do anything => You'll get kicked.

It's reasonable. But it all depends on what kind of guild you join, and what the purpose is. I have no idea what you do in-game, but if you're one of the people that doesn't do anything guild-related, help out or otherwise do your part(fulfilling req.) Or even stay offline for days without notice - It's reasonable and understandable. That said - I've been in numerous guilds, and i've never been kicked without knowing why, because I've always pulled my weight / done my thing / Talked to GM/Officers.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if you had to choose a reason when removing someone and that triggered an in-game mail, something like

□ Inactive
    □ Unacceptable behaviour
    □ Unpaid fees
    □ Unmet requirements
    □ Incompatible

Taking it further, the mail's could even be personalised by each guild.

It would make the GM's job a little harder when clearing space, but it'd give people a better idea of what is or isn't a deal breaker, particularly new players. For example, with a lot of guilds terming fees as 'donations', it doesnt make it sound that big a deal, so it might not be obvious that's why they've been kicked. And it's a nicer way than just logging on to find you aren't in a guild anymore
    PS4 EU
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lillybit wrote: »
    It would be nice if you had to choose a reason when removing someone and that triggered an in-game mail, something like

□ Inactive
    □ Unacceptable behaviour
    □ Unpaid fees
    □ Unmet requirements
    □ Incompatible

Taking it further, the mail's could even be personalised by each guild.

It would make the GM's job a little harder when clearing space, but it'd give people a better idea of what is or isn't a deal breaker, particularly new players. For example, with a lot of guilds terming fees as 'donations', it doesnt make it sound that big a deal, so it might not be obvious that's why they've been kicked. And it's a nicer way than just logging on to find you aren't in a guild anymore

Personally, I find guildmasters already have a hard enough job.